The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 09-24-2020, 12:15 AM   #3651
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

So I watched more of GoodBadFlicks's "Exploring" videos, among them the first two Maniac Cop films.

I remember seeing the second on cable when I was a kid but not really understanding a lot of it (not just because I didn't see the first but also because a lot of it just went over my head). Both films had really astonishing production histories (not the wildest but certainly interesting and surprising at times, especially the second nearly being ruined when Claudia Christian had a severe accident).

I really need to watch the first and rewatch the second, because there was a lot of good stuff in the videos on them and showed Bill Lustig (the creator and director) had a ton of creativity and passion. The videos do have spoilers in them so watch at your own discretion.

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:38 PM   #3652
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9382596/

Saw this advertised on Netflix (streaming) and my jaw hit the floor. The Car (1977) has a sequel after what, 42 years? I'm gonna have to check this out because the original is a favorite lost gem of mine.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:59 AM   #3653
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I've noticed that too and plan to see it, but still haven't done some. I'm always leery about decades-later sequels (or reboots).

Old 10-19-2020, 10:30 PM   #3654
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Forgot to mention this, could have done some good:

House of Mysterious Secrets had a sale this past weekend on mini posters (something like 11x17" or close to that) where the $5 posters were buy 4 get 2 free. I browsed their huge collection and saw some genuine treats, though I couldn't grab a few I wanted since they were sold out for now. I did get some good ones (F13 & Scooby-Doo; F13 The NES video game; The Monster Squad; original Fright Night; a couple others).

But now I need to wait for either another sale or restocks of the posters I still want.

Old 10-31-2020, 02:27 AM   #3655
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

https://collider.com/jordan-peele-pe...stairs-remake/

Old 03-03-2021, 01:08 PM   #3656
Space Cop
The Dandy

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:48 AM   #3657
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Dark Was The Night (2015)

"Let me put it this way: I believe them enough to lock my doors at night."

A logging company awakens a mysterious creature that flees south after slaughtering the loggers, where it begins to prey on the locals of a small town. The sheriff, already beset by enormous grief at losing a son, must pull himself together to protect everyone.

There aren't very many films dealing with the wendigo (windigo) or Jersey Devil angles, but I'm glad we have this.

The film is overall rather good: it establishes a broken man grieving his son's passing and he's still there for his wife, his remaining son and his town, but it's touch and go for him because he can't stop blaming himself. Alcohol and drugs don't do the harm to him that raw loss does and Kevin Durand does a good job displaying that. His deputy, Lukas Haas, seems wet behind the ears but he holds his own and won't abandon the town or his superior, making for a solid partner. For the monster, it is incredibly fast, cunning, and even when we can't directly see it we know it's there just out of sight as if taunting us. Tension is very well done here.

I only had a few problems with this:

1) It took me nearly a fucking year to watch (got it early July last year, my dad doesn't really like horror so I delayed seeing it and my hands kept getting full of things to do)

2) There's a pale blue tint to everything in the beginning. I think this might be an aesthetic choice to convey Durand's mental-emotional state to the audience, how he's disconnected from the world at times. It does go away as we progress.

3) The sound is low. I had trouble hearing characters speak much of the time because only in a couple scenes does anyone shout.

4) The last thirty seconds are absolutely a bad move. Doesn't outright ruin the film but it does not help it at all.

Other than that I was actually rather pleased with this. I can now finally move on to the other 300+ films on my list.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:59 AM   #3658
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

The Suckling (1990)

I don't even have a quote for this. It blew my mind.

It should be noted that I watched this at 2 a.m. and I'm suffering some weird effects from getting my first Covid shot on Friday, so what I'm about to say may be all over the place.

1. Every single teen in the world starting puberty should watch this. Serious as a heart attack. It should be required viewing in health classes.

2. Not that abortion has ever been a "not-hot topic", but this was made in 1990, when the abortion debate was at its highest peak. At least, thats what I recall from memory.
3. It's actually a disturbing movie in many ways. The acting is incredibly dull, but the premise is intriguing. Whatever the house was covered with (I'm guessing afterbirth?) Was disgusting. For a low budget film made in 1990, it felt like an early 70's movie.

4. The creature or "child" was frightful indeed, but there were too many well lighted shots of it.
5. This movie may have been the first to do scenes during rolling credits way before Marvel. Those scenes I absolutely did not understand, so if you've watched this or plan to, please tell me what those scenes meant in relation to the main story (2 kids watching a severely disfigured child ripping his own flesh off?)
6. I watched this because I wanted to see what other horror movies were made in 1990 after viewing Graveyard Shift, so really, this is all Space Cop's fault.
7. Remember kids, wrap it before you tap it!
Old 05-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #3659
Space Cop
The Dandy

^A year ago, I hadn't heard of The Suckling, but Red Letter Media covered it in one of their "Best of the Worst." Sounds messed up enough that I need to check it out some day.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #3660
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^A year ago, I hadn't heard of The Suckling, but Red Letter Media covered it in one of their "Best of the Worst." Sounds messed up enough that I need to check it out.

You must do this NAOW! You are smart and can figure out the mid credit scenes for me! Watch it for me please 😥 😔

And to add insult to injury, I started to watch a movie about killer inbreds called Bleeders, but I was in and out of consciousness due to being so tired. I need to re-watch it.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #3661
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Bleeders (1997)

This movie is so messed up, boring, and disconnected to the point the I want my hour and a half of life back. And I'm not even talking about the subject matter, which is killer incest people living underground. Main character has a degenerative blood disease, so he goes back to the town where he was born to see if any relatives exist who are also afflicted by said disease. Turns out he is the "normal one" among a family of incestuous lumps of flesh that date back to when some princess and her brother found the island like 200 hundred years ago, and they thought it was ok to get it on. So when these incest people who are disfigured start killing off the islanders, what does the main character do? He has a VERY ..ahem.. detailed love scene with his girlfriend during the crisis.
The end result? He decides to stay with the incest kids because they're his family, ditching his beautiful wife.

Why do I dislike this movie so much? Because it is disjointed, has horrible production values, and the morbidity of the subject matter doesn't even top the foolish writing and acting. Its one saving grace is that Rutger Hauer (possible spelling incorrect) plays a level headed doctor trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

And the kicker to this waste of film? Turns out blood guy has Jabba the Hutt for a twin sister.
I read up on this at Wikipedia and it said it was based on a story by H.P. Lovecraft, but I'll be damned if I can recall a story like that. Not that I'm proficient in all things Lovecraft (because I'm not) but I've read a good deal of his stories and I don't remember anything like this.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:26 AM   #3662
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
You must do this NAOW! You are smart and can figure out the mid credit scenes for me! Watch it for me please �� �� . . .
Well, the good news is I can watch it legally and for free on Tubi. I will try to do so over the next week or so (added it to my Tubi list).

Quote:
Bleeders (1997) . . . I read up on this at Wikipedia and it said it was based on a story by H.P. Lovecraft, but I'll be damned if I can recall a story like that. Not that I'm proficient in all things Lovecraft (because I'm not) but I've read a good deal of his stories and I don't remember anything like this.

Apparently, it's supposed to be from "Lurking Fear," but it's been a while since I read that. A little Googling reveals I've seen this one.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-05-2021 at 03:28 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:16 AM   #3663
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

I originally was on YouTube to watch a single video of Cliff Burton, but as you know, it never stops at one video. An hour later, I watched this MOJO list, which I thought would be cool to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnrKU5BIVFM

Everybody can guess #1, but there are a lot in there I never knew about.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #3664
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
I originally was on YouTube to watch a single video of Cliff Burton, but as you know, it never stops at one video. An hour later, I watched this MOJO list, which I thought would be cool to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnrKU5BIVFM

The rabbit hole of YouTube! I know what you mean!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #3665
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I now have 30+ subscribed channels and probably watch hours every day on Youtube. Between that and getting back into wrestling, I've really cut into my movie-watching time. But the Youtube stuff I mostly watch while doing other stuff like getting dressed, eating lunch, or right now as I type.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:22 PM   #3666
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
^I now have 30+ subscribed channels and probably watch hours every day on Youtube. Between that and getting back into wrestling, I've really cut into my movie-watching time. But the Youtube stuff I mostly watch while doing other stuff like getting dressed, eating lunch, or right now as I type.
Isn't youtube addictive? I watch far too much of it, but I justify it to myself that I am saving thousands a year since I ditched cable and YT is free. Yet here I am, still entertained.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:34 PM   #3667
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
+ YouTube Video

Not a bad list. I'm glad Fire in the Sky was on there because that movie scared the crap out of me as a young teen. There were two (Dark Skies and Extraterrestial) I haven't seen yet. Guess that's not too bad especially since several of the others (like Invasion of The Body Snatchers and The Thing) I've seen all the versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Isn't youtube addictive? I watch far too much of it, but I justify it to myself that I am saving thousands a year since I ditched cable and YT is free. Yet here I am, still entertained.
Yeah; it's not stuff I don't want to watch, but I should try to cut back. When I get a day or two behind, it's often like eight hours of backlog. Then I get caught up and one of my subscriptions drops an hour+ video I do really want to see.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:41 PM   #3668
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
The rabbit hole of YouTube! I know what you mean!

Its even worse on Instagram now that FB took it over. After you've gone through all the posts of the people you follow, Instagram now gives you "suggestions" of posts you might like. So of course I need to like all the corgi, Kaiju, Metallica, Iron Maiden and various robot posts they show me. Next thing you know, an hour has passed by and it's 3 a.m.

I need to train myself to stop when it says I'm all caught up. But FluffyChealsea is such a beautiful corgi.....i....must....like...it......
Old 05-05-2021, 10:52 PM   #3669
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Oh, also, I watched Re-Animator last night. The one from the 80's with Jeffrey Combs. I had seen it when I was a teen, but I forgot all of it. I know it has a serious cult status now and a very personal fan base, but I didn't get much out of it. Inject green stuff, corpses start flailing, someone dies, rinse and repeat. Didn't hate it, but I could have just as well watched something else. However, I *am* curious about the sequels.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:23 PM   #3670
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I haven't heard the name Fire in the Sky since I was a kid. Now that was a scary flick.

And I'm going to decline watching the video because it's WatchMojo. Only WatchMojo that I ever clicked was when videogamedunkey put their logo on his Top Jokers video as a prank.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:12 AM   #3671
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I'm a big fan of Re-Animator.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:42 AM   #3672
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
You must do this NAOW! You are smart and can figure out the mid credit scenes for me! Watch it for me please �� �� . . .
Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Literally, it just seems that two bystanders are witnessing someone being melted by the placenta barrier material.

If I had to fit it into the story, I'd have to say someone we didn't know survived (the only good candidate would be the Yuppie guy who did go into the placenta) and that's him being wiped out and a dude and kid happen to be passing and witness it.

However, if I had to guess, I'd think it was a deleted scene that they couldn't make work, but didn't want to waste the special effect so they just threw it on the end. A comment on Amazon seems to echo that: "The best scene and special effect in the movie is a non-sequitur during the credits where a character we've never seen before melts for no discernable reason."

Quote:
Oh, also, I watched Re-Animator last night. The one from the 80's with Jeffrey Combs. I had seen it when I was a teen, but I forgot all of it. I know it has a serious cult status now and a very personal fan base, but I didn't get much out of it. Inject green stuff, corpses start flailing, someone dies, rinse and repeat. Didn't hate it, but I could have just as well watched something else. However, I *am* curious about the sequels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I'm a big fan of Re-Animator.
Yeah, I'm a fan of Re-Animator. I don't know exactly what it is, but I dig it. It's not like it's hilarious. I think that might be part of it, though; the dry reaction to bizarre stuff.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-06-2021 at 03:15 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #3673
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

So I ran the gauntlet tonight and watched both sequels....
Bride of Re-Animator
Beyond Re-Animator

I just had to see how this whole thing turned out. I like Jeffrey Combs very much, and its not often that I see him anymore. I think the first time I saw him was in Star Trek DS9 as a Vorta (sp) and he did a great job with that. He's done a few voice overs in some of the animated features I have, mostly DC IIRC.

Bride was actually somewhat better than the original, I think. At least Dan got to ride off into the sunset with his girl this time. Beyond was hilarious. That's my kind of humor. Warden penis and Dead Rat fight at the end was totally worth it.

I'm going to try to catch Lurking Fear tomorrow night.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:56 PM   #3674
Space Cop
The Dandy

No reply to my Suckling comments?!

Quote:
...Bride was actually somewhat better than the original, I think. At least Dan got to ride off into the sunset with his girl this time. Beyond was hilarious. That's my kind of humor. Warden penis and Dead Rat fight at the end was totally worth it...
Bride definitely upped the ante and brought more in from the source material (which it adapts very loosely). I like them all, but would pretty much rank them in the order they came out (not because of that, but just my taste).
Old 05-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #3675
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Literally, it just seems that two bystanders are witnessing someone being melted by the placenta barrier material.

If I had to fit it into the story, I'd have to say someone we didn't know survived (the only good candidate would be the Yuppie guy who did go into the placenta) and that's him being wiped out and a dude and kid happen to be passing and witness it.

However, if I had to guess, I'd think it was a deleted scene that they couldn't make work, but didn't want to waste the special effect so they just threw it on the end. A comment on Amazon seems to echo that: "The best scene and special effect in the movie is a non-sequitur during the credits where a character we've never seen before melts for no discernable reason."

On the candy ass business guy, didn't the suckling get him when he made it out of the house into the placenta? I could have sworn Mommy's boy sunk his teeth into business guy's head....or maybe I'm thinking of someone else's death.

I'll buy the deleted scene idea. That seems to fit the circumstances well.

And yes, of course I read your comments, but I only had enough juice in me to post about the Re-Animator stuff. My night powers tend to wear off between 3 and 4 a.m. I was planning on responding today to you.