The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Events & Fan Meetups
FLASHCHAT

Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #726
Lantern Sinestro
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Sinestro View Post

11. Which celebrity, artist or writer that you have not met, but would like to meet at SDCC or a Comic Convention?
BRYAN CRANSTON!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #727
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
12. Have you ever cosplayed at SDCC or a Comic Convention? If so, what did you dress up as?
Yes, I dressed up as Kato and Storm Shadow, but not at the same time.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #728
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
By drinks, she means Ciroc and vodka!
Mmmm. Cranberry and Vodka.

Quote:
12.Have you ever cosplayed at SDCC or a Comic Convention? If so, what did you dress up as?
Sure have, but only once at SDCC.
Thus far I've gone as:

Hanna Dundee (Xenozoic Tales/Cadillacs and Dinosaurs)
Zatanna
Mrs. White (Clue, movie version)
Wolvie the Riveter
Nac Mac Feegle
Wendy Watson (The Middleman)

If I can find the right shirt, I'll be Korra's Fangirl.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #729
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
13. Is there a exclusive or souvenir (autograph, ticket stub, photograph of/with something, etc) from SDCC or a Comic Convention that you’re so happy to have? If so, what is it? If not, is there some exclusive that you would like to have?
I would say my four day badges from the past years. I've always like keeping ticket stubs of events I've attended as they're scrap book material.

Additionally, the photo albums I've been able to put together from the past years.

The exclusive I would like to have is the Starscream Skystriker that was one of Hasbro's exclusives from last year's SDCC. I was bummed because I went into the Hasbro booth on Friday and they had sold out of the item and told to check back in on Saturday as a truck was suppose to deliver additional inventory. That truck never showed up.

Last edited by Darth_Primus; 07-02-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #730
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
13. Is there a exclusive or souvenir (autograph, ticket stub, photograph of/with something, etc) from SDCC or a Comic Convention that you’re so happy to have? If so, what is it? If not, is there some exclusive that you would like to have?
Usually Mike Dooney, of Ninja Turtle Fame, is there and he has a poster special for the con. What I do is buy that poster and then use it as an autograph sheet. Usually people who sign it get a kick out of seeing the turtles, and then ask where Dooney is set up in Artist Alley.

But...that's my favorite thing, because it has the con name, date, and the signatures of people I like.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #731
Rick Coronel
Hal's Understudy

Comic-Con is earlier this year right? or I'm seeing the wrong date?
Rick Coronel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #732
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Coronel View Post
Comic-Con is earlier this year right? or I'm seeing the wrong date?
Yeah, it's the second week in July this year. It used to be during the 3rd week.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #733
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
11. Which celebrity, artist or writer that you have not met, but would like to meet at SDCC or a Comic Convention?
I've always wanted to meet Lynda Carter... and ask for a hug. I had a MAD crush on her as a kid and wanted to meet her for a long time. For YEARS, I hoped she would make an appearance at one of these comic shows, but I digress.

Quote:
12. Have you ever cosplayed at SDCC or a Comic Convention? If so, what did you dress up as?
Morpheus from The Matrix.

Quote:
The SDCC Blackest Night Hal Jordan set. I went through hell getting all of them. I had to hustle, bribe, trade and beg to complete the set.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #734
projectile
Sidekick

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...atives/140320/

Quote:
NBC takes over Gaslamp Square Park (Fifth Avenue and K Street in the Gaslamp District of Downtown San Diego) to bring the ultimate “Grimm” and “Revolution” experience to fans.
· Local restaurant Tin Fish (170 Sixth Avenue) will be transformed into the world of “Grimm” as lush greenery encompasses the building and its surroundings. Guests can “‘Grimm’ their skin” and receive creepy “Grimm” skin carvings applied by professional theatrical makeup artists. Those who tweet photos of their skin carvings with the hashtag #Grimm will be entered for a chance to win a Season 1 DVD collection signed by the cast.
Aunt Marie’s vintage Airstream trailer (replica) is coming to Gaslamp Square Park and fans will be treated to a personalized introduction from Nick and Monroe as they take a tour inside and see authentic props from the series including weapons cabinets, maps, the book of “Grimm” and more. Upon exit fans will receive a limited edition “Grimm” comic poster.

From the trailer take a trip through the “Grimm” forest and visit the Wesen Monuments for a description of which Wesen to look out for in the forest. Receive a “Grimm”/ “Revolution” bag if you make it out of the forest.

“Revolution” takes over the peninsula tip of Gaslamp Square Park with the actual Ferris wheel from the “Revolution” pilot, and an abandoned car transformed into a garden. Get a “Revolution” power button pin and a re-usable water bottle on your trip through “Revolution Village.”

Additionally, a wallscape featuring the “Revolution” power button will be showcased along the Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel’s (1 Park Blvd.) entire façade facing the convention center

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #735
projectile
Sidekick

Comic-Con: Warner Bros. Goes "Extra" in San Diego

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92146

Quote:
Warner Bros. Entertainment has announced a first-ever event called "Extra at Comic-Con." The free outdoor entertainment festival will take place during the con at San Diego’s Bayfront Park July 12–14.

“Everyone at Warner Bros. Television approaches Comic-Con as a fan-first experience. It’s in our DNA, with everything we do — from panels to signings to our bags, posters and more — carefully curated with our fans in mind,” said Lisa Gregorian, Chief Marketing Officer, Warner Bros. Television Group. “With the Extra at Comic-Con space, we have created a free and fun outdoor entertainment destination for fans. In addition to having all the Batmobiles on display and game demos, we will be hosting interviews throughout the day on the Extra stage, as well as evening and night events such as screenings and live comedy and musical performances after the convention floor closes for the day. It’s additive to the experience of being at the Con.”
Click link for the list of attractions.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #736
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Swing by the CNET Base Station During Comic-Con

Quote:
Event Details
Calling All Caped Crusaders!

If you are at Comic-Con 2012, report to Base Station for pampering that’s worthy of a true superhero. Take a break from saving the world and indulge yourself. Here are a few of the fantastic things we have planned because with great rest, comes great relaxation.

• Food and drinks on the house

• Hot new video games (Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution)

• Prize Pow-looza* with drawings throughout the day for gaming systems, tablets and more

• Charging stations and laptops

Where:

5th and Harbor (at Lou & Mickey's across from the convention center, next to the Gaslamp archway)

When:

Thursday 7/12 through Saturday 7/14; opens 11:00 AM

RSVP to Let Us Know You’ll Be Flying Through

Reserve your free ticket now.

RSVP Policy: This event is open to Comic-Con badge holders on a first-come, first-served basis. RSVP does not guarantee admission if capacity is reached at Lou & Mickey's.

Start Winning Cool Prizes Now

Not going to Comic-Con? You could still be a winner! Enter the CNET Comic-Contest for a chance to win an awesome gaming system!** It’s simple. Just follow @CNET and visit http://cnet.co/cnetcomic to learn how to enter.

*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER TO WIN. Participants must be present in order to win. All prizes and free stuff are subject to availability.

**NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. See Official Rules for details at http://cnet.co/cnetcomic.

Sounds cool. I signed up and printed my tix.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #737
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
14. If you're attending or attended SDCC, how far did you travel to get there. If you’re not or have not attended SDCC, what’s the farthest you've travel to a Comic Convention?
I travel about 550 miles to SDCC.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #738
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
Swing by the CNET Base Station During Comic-Con

Sounds cool. I signed up and printed my tix.
they made it to badge holders only. that sucks. it used to be open to everyone.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #739
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

All 5 batmobiles and the camo tumbler will be on display outside of the comic con near where people line up for hall h.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #740
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
14. If you're attending or attended SDCC, how far did you travel to get there. If you’re not or have not attended SDCC, what’s the farthest you've travel to a Comic Convention?
I honestly thought Boston -> San Diego would be the furthest I've traveled for a Con (3,043 mi), but apparently Boston -> Seattle (3,079) is the longer distance.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #741
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

^ WOW!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #742
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
From where I live to SDCC is about 530 miles.
My city to Emerald City ComicCon was roughly 670 miles.
My place to New York ComicCon was a tad over 2500 miles.

Aside from the SDCC, the other conventions we attended offered other things like tourist attractions. We didn't go to Seattle and New York with the mindset of exclusively attending the comic conventions.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #743
projectile
Sidekick

Quote:
Its like 9.2 miles from my house to the convention center.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #744
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

im like 12 miles or so.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #745
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

SDCC 12: It’s Adventure Time! all over Comic-Con with multi-booth quest

Quote:
We already told you about the big Adventure Time display and interactive adventure at the Children’s Museum during Comic-Con. For those who are inside the con, there’s also a big scavenger hunt with maps and stamps and prizes. WE WANT ONE.

In case you haven’t figured it out, Adventure Time is this year’s Scott Pilgrim!

Cartoon Network Enterprises, the group charged with creating and merchandising licensed products for the network’s stable of brands, today announced a first-of-its kind challenge for all Adventure Time-loving Comic-Con attendees: complete the Adventure Time “Comic-Con Quest” and be named a victor! Fans of best friends Finn the Human and Jake the Dog who walk the show floor at this year’s annual event will be rewarded for traveling throughout the show floor to check out the plethora of Adventure Time product featured there, thanks to this program for the brand that has fanboys and fangirls of all ages shouting “slamacow!”

To participate in the Adventure Time “Comic-Con Quest,” fans must visit the Cartoon Network booth (#3735) to pick up a custom map that will outline their journey. From there, they must visit every stop on the map, which include all of the network’s participating partners showcasing Adventure Time products at their booths, to collect a custom stamp signifying they were there. Once all 10 stamps are collected, fans will return to the Cartoon Network booth where they will be rewarded with an exclusive, custom award fit for a victor.

The partners participating in this year’s Adventure Time “Comic-Con Quest” include:

§ Abrams (Booth #1216/1218) will have a righteous new calendar for 2013 available for sale at the show!
§ BOOM! Studios (Booth #2743) will feature its line of Adventure Time comic books with a Pen Ward exclusive issue #1 cover – not to mention the debut issue of the Marceline and the Scream Queens spinoff comic – along with an ultra-exclusive limited-edition, handmade mini-comic from Jon Chad!
§ Hallmark (Booth #2913H) gives fans a first look at its Adventure Time greeting cards and an all-new Keepsake Ornament coming in 2013!
§ Jazwares (Booth #2343 via Entertainment Earth) will feature a Comic-Con exclusive FINN AND FIONNA 2-pack that is a must have addition to the Adventure Time toyline!
§ Mighty Fine (Booth #517) continues to offer up fan-favorite t-shirts based on the series, with an exclusive Comic-Con design featuring Finn and BMO!
§ MIMOCO (Booth #4936) will launch its line of designer USB drives with the Finn, Jake and Princess Bubblegum MIMOBOTS available in a range of sizes – plus a limited-edition FIONNA Mimobot that is exclusive to Comic-Con attendees.
§ Mondo (Booth #437) adds to its line of super-exclusive and top-quality posters for Adventure Time with five posters available, including exclusive Comic-Con posters from Mike Mitchell and Olly Moss, as well as 8-bit designs from Delicious Design League!
§ Penguin (Booth #1134) brings an Adventure Time twist to the world’s greatest word game MAD LIBS® and other books debuting in limited release this summer, with more to come in fall!
§ Poketo (Booth #4634), a new partner for the brand, will debut a line of wallets based on Adventure Time, including a wallet designed by Pendleton Ward himself!
§ Toddland (Booth #3449), also new to the Adventure Time partner roster, will make a splash with a new line of apparel and accessories – including a very limited edition sweater designed by Pendleton Ward!

Limited quantities of the exclusive maps and rewards are available, so be sure to stop by the Cartoon Network booth early to pick one up. Also, on Saturday, July 14 at 11:15 a.m. Cartoon Network will feature series creator Pendleton Ward (Lumpy Space Princess), Jeremy Shada (Finn), Tom Kenny (Ice King) and others in an hour-long Adventure Time panel in Room 6A. There fans can experience the all out good time that is Cartoon Network’s Adventure Time with singing, live readings, lots of exclusive clips and other mathematical surprises! Fans should also be sure to check out the Adventure Time: Keyper Seeker experience and fan art exhibition at The New Children’s Museum of San Diego which is open to the public and located directly across from the Convention Center.

From the mind of creator Pendleton Ward, the Adventure Time television series is an original animated comedy from Cartoon Network that follows the everyday adventures of unlikely heroes Finn the Human and his best friend, shape-shifting dog Jake, as they travel across the Land of Ooo and encounter its unique inhabitants. Whether it’s saving Princess Bubblegum, defeating zombie candy, mocking the “oxy-moronic” Ice King, or rocking out with undead music wiz Marceline the Vampire Queen, with Finn & Jake it’s always Adventure Time.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #746
projectile
Sidekick

Old 07-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #747
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
15. How do you prepare for a comic book convention? Do you pack a lunch and water? Do you bring comic books for autographs? Do you bring a camera? Check online information on panels, signings, exclusives?
I pack candy (usually Starburst) for energy, Fritos, chewing gum and a bottled water.

I usually don't pack too many comics for signatures for SDCC because it weighs me down and it's rare I get to meet any of the artists or writers anyway due to crowd issues. In addition, with my cosplay outfit, my luggage is around 50 lbs. and if you go over that, they charge an extra $25.

I always bring a camera since I compose blogs for all the larger conventions (see my signature for past SDCC's and ECCC). Cheap pop.

Normally, I print out an itinerary of everything I want to do for the event.

Quote:
16. List in order of preference when attending SDCC or a Comic Book Convention: Attend a movie or TV panel; Attend a comic book panel; hunt for exclusives; take pictures of and with cosplayers; dress as a cosplayer; get free swag; meet and get autographs of artists, writers and celebrities
1. Meet celebs/writers/artists- Meeting celebs is the highlight of attending conventions.

2. Pics of and with cosplayers- This is the most fun aspect of attending conventions.

3. Exclusives (GL exclusives makes this #1)- This is a pain in the ass and detracts from the overall experience. They should make the excusives ONE per badge (and scan the badge) so everyone can get what they want.

4. TV/Movie panels- Panels are cool and all, but every moment I'm sitting down in a crowded hall, I feel I'm missing something elsewhere, which is usually the case.

5. Comic book panels- Ditto

6. Free SWAG- SWAG is everywhere. I have a banker's box FULL of swag (Hot wheels, toys, T-shirts, capes, legos, etc..) that I haven't gone through. I might end up throwing most of it away.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #748
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
15. How do you prepare for a comic book convention? Do you pack a lunch and water? Do you bring comic books for autographs? Do you bring a camera? Check online information on panels, signings, exclusives?
Normally, one of the first thing I do when attending a Comic Convention is research. From there, I put a game plan together/itinerary as to what my priorities/objectives. Then I have a check list prepared, like passes to the event, camera, batteries for the camera, comic books I would like signed, fan boy gear, snacks and beverages.

Quote:
16. List in order of preference when attending SDCC or a Comic Book Convention: Attend a movie or TV panel; Attend a comic book panel; hunt for exclusives; take pictures of and with cosplayers; dress as a cosplayer; get free swag; meet and get autographs of artists, writers and celebrities
It varies from event to event, because of the panels, exclusives and whatnot.

Typically, here's my order of preference:

1. Meet and get autographs of artist, writers and celebritites. This is usually my highlight of attending a convention because after getting an autograph I have something tangible to remember the event.

2. Attend a movie or TV panel because of the mob mentality. Typically, there are some many people that want to attend these panels and you feel special that you're in a room that a thousand of other of people want to be in but can't because of capacity issues. Plus, seeing the celebrities in person is pretty cool too. I thought it was awesome when I saw Angelina Jolie at SDCC 2010.

3. The cosplayers. They are the people that put the flavor and kick of spice to the event. Additionally, they bring alot of spirit, creativity and enthusiasm to the events. They really do bring certain heroes from the pages of a comic book to real life.

4. Exclusives. They're great to have, but quite often they are more trouble than they're worth.

5. Free swag. From the looks of it at times, free swag is the highlight of alot of convention goers. You'll see lines everywhere of people trying to get a free button, pen, bag, their picture on a Yu-Gi-Oh card or whatever.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #749
Lantern Sinestro
Hal's Understudy

I was spending a few days at my sister's house, so I wasn't online to answer these questions. But I did see the mid-night premier of Spiderman with my brother in-law. It was really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Sinestro View Post

14. If you attending or attended SDCC, how far did you travel to get there. If you’re not SDCC, what’s the farthest you travel to a Comic Convention?
15. How do you prepare for a comic book convention? Do you pack a lunch and water? Do you bring comic books for autographs? Do you bring a camera?
12. I kind of dressed up as Green Lantern once. I wore the mask, shirt, and ring. nothing crazy.
13. My Jerry Lawler autograph and picture with him, and my exclusive Sentinel.
14. I travel about 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours to the SDCC.
15. I bring money, a sandwich, soda, water, and cards (to play crazy 8s and stuff like that).
16. This year is different
----1. Autographs from the cast of Breaking Bad.
----2. Breaking Bad panel.
----3. Batman comic panel.
----4. Green Lantern panel.
----5. Getting figures I can't find in stores.
----6. Look at crazy looking people in costumes.
----7. Talking to local indy wrestlers I know, who will also be there.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #750
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

The Big Bang Theory Returns to Comic-Con

Quote:
Comic-Con is a week away and the biggest comedy on TV is ready to take the biggest stage at the annual pop culture fiesta. The cast and producers of The Big Bang Theory are making their annual trek to the San Diego Convention Center on Friday, July 13, holding court in the iconic 6,500-seat Hall H. Adam Savage, co-host of Discovery's Mythbusters, will moderate the panel, from 12:05pm to 1:05pm.

The Q&A session will feature cast members Kaley Cuoco, Johnny Galecki, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyar, Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch, and executive producers Chuck Lorre, Bill Prady and Steven Molaro. Jim Parsons, currently starring on Broadway in the revival of Harvey, will appear via satellite. The Big Bang panel always provides some of the top highlights of the Con, including a sing-along of the show's theme song led by the Barenaked Ladies in 2010, and Rauch's hilarious impersonation of Mrs. Wolowitz last year.

The cast will also have an autograph-signing session (details here) and TV Guide Magazine's Rob Moynihan will host a Q&A with Prady and Molaro on Warner Bros.' Extra stage (adjacent to the convention center) on Friday at 3pm.