The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Events & Fan Meetups
FLASHCHAT

Old 06-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #651
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

3. What is your first memory of attending SDCC or other Comic Convention?
Hmmm my first memory happened before I even set foot in the convention center. My first year we only had tickets for Saturday. We went out to check out the town and see what was going on having no idea that pretty much all of the Gaslamp District pretty much gets taken over for SDCC. It was amazing. I felt like the biggest happiest kid on the planet. We went around trying out everything. We got to do the Wrath of the Titans challenge which included a rock wall and getting our faces made to look like stone. We even helped prop a kid trying to take a pic in one of those things where you poke your head through to look like the character.

4. What did you expect from your first attendance at SDCC or Comic Convention? I expected to be much larger and crazier than any other con I had ever been too and boy was I right. It was sensory overload but worth every second.

5. Do you remember how much you paid to get into SDCC or Comic Convention you first attended?
I believe the year I went a Saturday ticket was like 50 bucks but I can't remember

6. Name a Comic Convention you have not attended, but would like to attend.
I would like to go to Emerald, Phoenix & Wondercon

7. Do you wear a fanboy shirt when you attend a comic convention, if so which ones?
Yes I do. It usally varies depending on my mood. Usually Green Lantern and Spider-man stuff. I really need to start getting more shirts.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #652
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

13 days and and 2 hours I'll be on the show floor....

She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #653
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

GODS I CANNOT WAIT!!!

Goat, Is there anything else you need from me
Old 06-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #654
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

Nope, just be sure to call me when you get there. It's hard for ne to hear texts when I'm setting up. You'll be there on Tuesday, right?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #655
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Cool. Yea. Ihave to double check what time I am getting in on Tuesday. Where are you staying at?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #656
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

To be honest I don't even know yet, Anthony set up the hotel, he just wants me to meet him at the con straight from the airport. Knowing him though its its probably right next to the show

Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #657
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

NICE!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #658
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
8. What’s your favorite memory of SDCC or Comic Conventions?
Hmm... I have so many good memories, but the one that stands out the most is when I achieved the daily high score at the "King of Kong" Donkey Kong contest. I was at the con because I was visiting a friend in San Diego and a friend of mine gave me his badge to get in and walk around while they had lunch in the Gaslamp.

I walked over to the King of Kong booth, but wasn't entered in the contest they had going on. One of the reps asked if I wanted to play. I said, "Sure, what the heck?" and walked up the staircase to where the arcade games were. I ended up getting the high score for the day and got invited to compete for an authentic Donkey Kong arcade the following day. I was stoked. I got my pic taken for the website with my high score and everything.

The unexpected positive moments are usually among my favorite.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #659
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Like sylent, there are just so many good memories. One would defnitely have to be getting to meet Bruce Timm at NYCC. I have a met a few celebs in my life and very rarely get starstruck, though I guess he wouldn't really be considered a celeb by non-comic or cartoon fans, but getting to meet a guy who had such a huge impoact on my life and the things I love and am passionate about I almost couldn't say anything to him. He was smoking a cig outside and I politely said to him sorry to interrupt but I really just wanted to say how awesome I think you are and thanks for all the great shows. He was very thankful and said I wasn't interrupting his smoke. He even offered to take a picture with me. He's an awesome guy and very nice.

Another would have to be getting to see Year One at SDCC. I had heard the stories about Hall H and how its a bitch to get into and such but I was determined. My friends and I jumped online and already put ourselves in the mind set that we wouldn't get in so if we did it'd be awesome but if not it'd be cool. I think I ran into West while on line. After getting into Hall H (SUPER EXCITED) I was once again overwhelmed by the sheer size of the room and the amount people in the room and they were still letting people in. Being able to see that movie in a room FULL of excited comic geeks is an experience unto itself. There is just a level of energy and anticipation in the room that I've never felt before. Top that all off with the Q&A with cast afterwards and it perfect.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #660
Lantern Sinestro
Hal's Understudy

[QUOTE=Darth_Primus;715640]

8. What’s your favorite memory of SDCC or Comic Convention?

There are way too many, but I'll pick this one.

A couple years ago Jerry Lawler was at the SDCC. He talked to me every day, and he started the conversations, it wasn't like I was the annoying fan that wouldn't stop talking to him. He would give me a hug, and gave me a free autograph and picture with him, when he charged everyone else. He was just unbelievably nice to me and it's a great memory I have from the Comic Con.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #661
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

[IMG]8. What’s your favorite memory of SDCC or Comic Conventions?[/IMG]

And to continue the trend by Sylent and A-Train, too many good memories but some of the most memorable ones are related to Olivia Munn. I got her autograpn in person at 2010 SDCC but when it was my turn to get her autograph I went 13 year old fan boy and didn't say anything other than hi. Another Munn moment was at last year's Con where I walked right passed her and didn't even know it. There was a crowd of people gathered around the grassy area of the Hilton Bayfront Hotel. Typically, if there's a crowd outside the Con Floor it's a give-away of free swag, so I just kept walking. If I would have checked me Twitter account, I would have learned it was Olivia Munn hanging out to meet her fans. I was totally bummed after that.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #662
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

Mine are mostly Turtle related.
The first was getting trashed with Andrew at the "Turtles Forever" fan screening. I don't know why I try to keep up with him, but...I did. And on a day I donated blood too. Whooo big mistake.

But I did end up buying a couple of rounds for the artists of the Mirage book, and was then hugged by Ernie Reyes Jr for no particular reason.

"Why did Ernie Reyes Jr just hug me?"
"I don't know, but say nothing: He could kill us all."

And then there's the fact that Kevin Eastman remembered my name, and came out from behind a table to hug me when I went for an autograph.
*happy fangirl sigh*
Old 06-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #663
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

^^ Drinking with you is gonna be good times. I can tell already
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #664
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Sinestro View Post

There are way too many, but I'll pick this one.

A couple years ago Jerry Lawler was at the SDCC. He talked to me every day, and he started the conversations, it wasn't like I was the annoying fan that wouldn't stop talking to him. He would give me a hug, and gave me a free autograph and picture with him, when he charged everyone else. He was just unbelievably nice to me and it's a great memory I have from the Comic Con.
A couple of years ago, I got a pic with King Jerry as he came out of the restroom. Primus pointed him out so I stalked him, waited for him to come out and ambushed him. So to speak. He was cool and let me get a free pic with him. Right after, some other dudes saw him do this and tried to get a pic and he blew them off.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #665
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Let's kill time with a question a day.

Here's a list of questions, where one question will be asked each day until the event:

[B]1. What was the first Comic Convention you attended?

2. Have you ever attended SDCC? If so, what year?

3. What is your first memory of attending SDCC or other Comic Convention?
4. What did you expect from your first attendance at SDCC or Comic Convention?
5. Do you remember how much you paid to get into SDCC or Comic Convention you first attended?
6. Name a Comic Convention you have not attended, but would like to attend.
7. Do you wear a fanboy shirt when you attend a comic convention, if so which ones?
8. What’s your favorite memory of SDCC or Comic Convention?.
1. Some small convention in Michigan. Barely remember going.

2. I'm pretty sure I went to SDCC for the first time in the 90s but I don't remember that either.

3. I'll use the first memory of my recent convention spree. I remember nervous as ever. First time meeting someone from the site and putting a lot of trust in them. I remember getting off the airplane and thinking that I may have to kill this guy if he scammed me out of a room. Thankfully it didn't turn out that way and I met two great and hilarious people. I definitely don't remember puking that first night, but the evidence was there.

4. I expected it to be crowded because that's all anyone ever says about SDCC. I was that people would stink and that it would be miserable on the con floor. I'm never miserable unless I miss a panel but everything else I expected was right on the money.

5. Two years ago, I got two passes. One 4day pass that I bought for $100 and a press pass. I gave away the 4day pass to a Flash fan. He walked around the entire convention with my full name around his neck.

6. New York Comic Con. I really just want to go to NY but this would give me a perfect excuse to finally do it.

7. I've worn 3 different GL shirts, and a Flash shirt. I'll probably never do that again. I don't like people wearing the exact same thing I'm wearing. Especially hundreds of people. I'll stick to my ralph lauren polos and sean john shirts.

8. I really want to say meeting Grant Morrison but I could honestly say its a tossup between that, trying fried shrimp for the first time and having a rum & coke. There are so many little things like shopping for lunchables, rooftop parties, randomly bumping into Philip Tan and his wife on the street, and even watching women's softball with Joe Quesada.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #666
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
A couple of years ago, I got a pic with King Jerry as he came out of the restroom. Primus pointed him out so I stalked him, waited for him to come out and ambushed him. So to speak. He was cool and let me get a free pic with him. Right after, some other dudes saw him do this and tried to get a pic and he blew them off.
That's one of the great things of SDCC, you never know who you'll run into. I'm still jealous of Projectile's brother for running into the cast of The Big Bang Theory while waiting for a train and meeting Kevin Smith.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #667
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

^Wearing a costume certainly helps. We would have never met Dwight Howard if we were two regular dudes walking around the convention center. Same deal when I met Edward James Olmos. He said, "You're gonna take my picture and not shake my hand?" I got to cut in front of HUNDREDS of people. Same deal with Seth Green! He asked me for the blue pill so he could get out of there. LOL!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #668
Lantern Sinestro
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
Ha ha ha. He was happy enough to take a picture with you, but he didn't want to be ambushed by a ton of fans for free pictures.

Is he going to be there this year, I don't think he was last year.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #669
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

he was there 2 years ago, i know that. I walked by his empty booth like 3 times.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #670
Lantern Sinestro
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
he was there 2 years ago, i know that. I walked by his empty booth like 3 times.
Yeah, that was when I met him.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #671
projectile
Sidekick

Quote:
8. What’s your favorite memory of SDCC or Comic Conventions?
I have alot of good memories but my favorite memory would have to be getting a winning button to see a screening of Scott Pilgrim vs The World with the cast. Also getting a pic with Edgar Wright.

This article was from yesterday, about random badge checks.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...#ixzz1ywtwDYNg

Quote:
Note to Comic-Con 2012 fans: be prepared to show your photo identification at any time when entering this year's convention.

Not only will attendees need to show photo identification when they pick up their badges on Wednesday, July 11, but there will be random checks throughout the weekend.

Comic-Con 2012 Director of Marketing and Public Relations, David Glanzer, said his staff will work to avoid delays for the thousands entering the event but with a lot of people duplicating badges, there is a need to increase badge security.

“Security has been very, very good about seeing counterfeit badges but at the end of the event, you may 10 or 15 badges with one person’s name used multiple times,” he said.

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by projectile; 06-27-2012 at 07:00 PM.
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #672
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

I'll remember to bring a post-it note to cover my surname on my badge this year, instead of blacking it out entirely with a marker.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #673
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

Comic-Con 2012: Joss Whedon, Nathan Fillion Set for 'Firefly' Anniversary Panel (Exclusive)

Friday the 13th, Ballroom 20.
Thank you Joss for making my Turtles or Korra? Panel decision easier.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #674
projectile
Sidekick

Exhibitor list and exhibition hall map is up

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_exhib_1.php

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #675
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

There we are good old 5507