Old 07-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #9101
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Jeepers Creepers (2001)

"Gay Fever?"

20th anniversary.

That movie was disturbing. And I did not like the ending. Horror films need to start getting back to the F13 rules of engagement and death. The Creeper looked great, yes, and his whole mojo made an interesting story, but what happened to that brother was just wrong.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:32 PM   #9102
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

The Meg (2018)

Jonas Taylor: "Hey, I mean no offense, Dr. Zhang. I mean, if there was two people on this planet that could get me back into the water, it's probably you two. But you can't. You're gonna tell me your problem and I'll say no. You're going to offer me money. I'll still say no. You're gonna appeal to my better nature and I'm gonna say no. Because I don't have one."

Instantly became one of my guilty pleasures. I have to watch it at least 2 or 3 times a year, and I'm starting to remember more and more dialogue now. Granted, the Novel was much more entertaining with a very different story line, and this movie gets a B+ at best, but I think it came out at a time when the world needed a giant shark movie that wasn't some bullshit rip off of Jaws. The Meg has teeth of its own.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:01 PM   #9103
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
That movie was disturbing. And I did not like the ending. Horror films need to start getting back to the F13 rules of engagement and death. The Creeper looked great, yes, and his whole mojo made an interesting story, but what happened to that brother was just wrong.
I would normally agree with that, but I think the strength of this particular movie (which isn't a slasher) is the inevitability of the ending and the unstoppable nature of Creeper. I think one of the scariest concepts is that you can be in a place that is supposed to protect you (like a police station) and it can't.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-21-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:12 PM   #9104
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

But we already know police stations can't protect you, nor can the police who are from those stations! (For reference, see Halloween IV and Friday the 13th VI).

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:54 PM   #9105
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Shark Is Still Working: The Impact and Legacy of Jaws (2007)

"E. O. Wilson said we don't just fear our predators. We are transfixed by them, prone to weave stories and fables, because fascination breeds preparedness, and preparedness, survival. In a deeply tribal sense, he said, we love our monsters."

Finished my Jaws BD with this now famous retrospective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
But we already know police stations can't protect you, nor can the police who are from those stations! (For reference, see Halloween IV and Friday the 13th VI).
Yep. The Hitcher is a really effective one and on the sci-fi side, Terminator.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-22-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:18 PM   #9106
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
The Making of Jaws (1995)

"Jaws is a fun movie to watch, but not fun to make."

Quote:
The Shark Is Still Working: The Impact and Legacy of Jaws (2007)

"E. O. Wilson said we don't just fear our predators. We are transfixed by them, prone to weave stories and fables, because fascination breeds preparedness, and preparedness, survival. In a deeply tribal sense, he said, we love our monsters."

Finished my Jaws BD with this now famous retrospective.

Are you watching these documentaries from the various anniversary editions of the movie? I think they started coming out when I was 20 or 25 and then repeated every 5 years.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:05 AM   #9107
Space Cop
The Dandy

Groove Tube (1974)

"Put your trust in Uranus."

Quote:
Are you watching these documentaries from the various anniversary editions of the movie? I think they started coming out when I was 20 or 25 and then repeated every 5 years.
They were both on my blu ray, but yeah, the first was for the 20th anniversary. The second (and more famous) was actually released when the movie was about 33, but seems to have been filmed around the 30th.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-23-2021 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:07 AM   #9108
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Jeepers Creepers (2001)

"Gay Fever?"

20th anniversary.
Creature was cool but movie was meh.._ besides the guy who created the series got busted for sex with a underage kid on tape. Articles were wrote about it before the third jeepers film released

Thank you fuck you bye
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:23 AM   #9109
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Creature was cool but movie was meh.._ besides the guy who created the series got busted for sex with a underage kid on tape. Articles were wrote about it before the third jeepers film released
I'm aware. I can't say it doesn't cross my mind when watching it, but I can separate the art or entertainment from the private problems (or even crimes) of the creator. If I only watched stuff from people I totally morally approve of, I wouldn't have much left.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-23-2021 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:02 AM   #9110
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Leprechaun 3. Such a underated character and trilogy. I liked leprechaun returns it did what Halloween did became the true sequel to original and ignored the others. Theres also a theory each film is a different leprechaun not just the same one

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 07-23-2021, 02:06 AM   #9111
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I'm aware. I can't say it doesn't cross my mind when watching it, but I can separate the art or entertainment from the private problems (or even crimes) of the creator. If I only watched stuff from people I totally morally approve of, I wouldn't have much left.
I understand your argument and agree to a degree but i wish another studio would buy the character rights to remove the stain that is that sick fuck

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 07-23-2021, 02:53 AM   #9112
Space Cop
The Dandy

Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)

"Atmospheric conditions in outer space often interfere with transmitting."

Watch this every year for its anniversary. It's one of only a few I watch on off-anniversaries because I like to watch it at least that often.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-23-2021 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:37 AM   #9113
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

I recently watched the KISSTORY documentary that aired on A&E a few weeks back, and what you describe is so hard for me to do when I even think about them now. Especially after reading Gene's autobiography. Those 4 idiots had it all and either drank, used drugs, or slept it all away. At this point, the only one I can stand to listen to is Paul. I think he has the most common sense out of all of them.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:45 AM   #9114
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Fright night 85. Finally got around to watch it. Fun flick .Next up on the first time watch list is creep show ghoulies house and the howeling

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 07-23-2021, 05:52 AM   #9115
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Groove Tube (1974)

"Put your trust in Uranus."

They were both on my blu ray, but yeah, the first was for the 20th anniversary. The second (and more famous) was actually released when the movie was about 33, but seems to have been filmed around the 30th.

I was born in '75, so my birthdays run concurrent with the Jaws Anniversary editions. I don't know what the hell they are gonna do for the 50th; pretty sure they tapped out Spielberg for all his extras, and most of the cast has passed away. Hell, I might not even make 50. Lol
Old 07-23-2021, 05:58 AM   #9116
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Fright night 85. Finally got around to watch it. Fun flick .Next up on the first time watch list is creep show ghoulies house and the howeling

Fright Night was good, unfortunately I always get it mixed up with The Lost Boys. There are 2 volumes of Creepshow, and it forget which one it was, but there was a short story about lake sludge. For some reason that bothered me a lot when I watched it. Ghoulies I've seen but don't remember anything about it (I think I preferred Critters at the time, but we are talking 30 something years ago). Never saw House that I can think of, but I've seen all the Howling movies, which were decent. All of them are pretty much the same. lol
Old 07-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #9117
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I love all those movies. I actually like the Fright Night remake a lot, but the original probably just edges it out (mostly because I’ve known it longer).

Quote:
Fright Night was good, unfortunately I always get it mixed up with The Lost Boys.
They’re really quite different except teens are at the center. If it’s suburbia and has a horror host, it’s FN. If it’s rock and roll vamps at the beach, it’s LB.

Quote:
There are 2 volumes of Creepshow, and it forget which one it was, but there was a short story about lake sludge. For some reason that bothered me a lot when I watched it.
That is from #2 and is the only one in the sequel actually based on a King story. It’s widely considered the best part of it, but I actually like all 3 stories. #1 (directed by George Romeo) has more stories, more production value, and is considered supeior.

Quote:
Ghoulies I've seen but don't remember anything about it (I think I preferred Critters at the time, but we are talking 30 something years ago).
Oh, Critters is way better, but Ghoulies is fun.

Quote:
Never saw House that I can think of, but I've seen all the Howling movies, which were decent. All of them are pretty much the same. lol
There might be a lot of repetition, but the first movie (directed by Joe Dante of Gremlins fame) is significantly better than any of the sequels (and I say that as someone who has all but one of them).

House and House II are a lot of fun. They’re both horror comedy. I saw both as a kid, though, and #1 in particular scared me (not so much as an adult).
Old 07-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #9118
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Fright Night was good, unfortunately I always get it mixed up with The Lost Boys. There are 2 volumes of Creepshow, and it forget which one it was, but there was a short story about lake sludge. For some reason that bothered me a lot when I watched it. Ghoulies I've seen but don't remember anything about it (I think I preferred Critters at the time, but we are talking 30 something years ago). Never saw House that I can think of, but I've seen all the Howling movies, which were decent. All of them are pretty much the same. lol
Oh i grew up on LB. I use to rent it every week from the video store across the highway from me. Same for jackie chan films

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 07-24-2021, 03:39 AM   #9119
Space Cop
The Dandy

Streets of Fire (1984)

"You know everywhere I go there's always an a**hole."

Apparently, I watched this from Netflix 4 years ago and rated "I liked." Re-watched it tonight (now streaming) and pretty much loved it, but without remembering it.* In several ways, it feels like a Rockabilly variation on The Warriors, which is also by Walter Hill and a favorite of mine. They share the same not-quite-real atmosphere and focus on style.

[*The one bit that did seem familiar is Willem Dafoe as Raven with his weird split flat hair and leather gear.]

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-24-2021 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #9120
Parrylakks
Neko Samurai

Better than Rise of Cobra, but not as good as Retaliation. Part of me is kinda irked at the change to Storm Shadow's backstory presented here, but another part just really enjoyed seeing my favorite Joes in action together again. It's a solid enough reboot to move forward from, and definitely sets up sequels, which is to be expected. Should be interesting moving forward, at least. Here's hoping it performs well so that the next film is fast tracked.

Besides the movie itself, this was the first film I've seen in theaters since before COVID hit. My brother and I were talking about it, and it appeared that we hadn't seen a film in theaters since Star Wars IX. Pretty weird, that. I'm baffled to think that I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy seeing movies on the big screen. It's nice to be reminded.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #9121
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
. . . Besides the movie itself, this was the first film I've seen in theaters since before COVID hit. My brother and I were talking about it, and it appeared that we hadn't seen a film in theaters since Star Wars IX. Pretty weird, that. I'm baffled to think that I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy seeing movies on the big screen. It's nice to be reminded.
Yeah, I’ve been back twice so far. The first was for Godzilla vs. Kong and the second for Conjuring 3. It did feel weird. I’ll probably go for Snake Eyes.

Not going all that time kind of reinvigorated me. Between the price of movies, the lack of stuff I currently like, and the dirtiness of my old theater (which closed anyway), I had become burned out of the experience. I went a total of 7 times in 2019 and 3 of them were Fathom events of old movies. But, now, I feel open to it again.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #9122
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)

"Atmospheric conditions in outer space often interfere with transmitting."

Watch this every year for its anniversary. It's one of only a few I watch on off-anniversaries because I like to watch it at least that often.
That and this island earth are on my to watch list as well

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 07-24-2021, 10:28 PM   #9123
Space Cop
The Dandy

Godzilla vs. Hedorah [aka Godzilla vs the Smog Monster] (1971)

"It probably came from a sticky, dark planet far, far away. Now go to sleep."

50 years old today.

Quote:
That and this island earth are on my to watch list as well
MST3K riffed the latter in their movie and Rifftrax have covered P9 a few times.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:30 AM   #9124
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Backdraft (1991)

"I beat it. The fire never got me."

Did not watch it for the 30th anniversary. Watched it because I both got it in this week from Netflix and because my parents used to have it on TV as a kid all the time and I wanted to actually have an understanding of the film.

There's some impressive material here. You've got some nice sets and vehicles (both the scene in 1971 and in the film's main portion of 1991) and the stunning effects and stunt work on display, especially the climax. There's some brilliant camerawork too.

Where the film falls short is having anybody in their right mind, especially actual firefighters watching it, believe that wearing a mask is purely optional, or any number of other blatantly questionable choices made by the stars. I get that they gotta show off those pretty faces possessed by Billy Baldwin and Kurt Russell, but come the hell on, I swear I know more from attending regular drills and yearly seminars than a career firefighter if this flick is anything to go by. The plot of serial arson isn't bad, but there are a couple mistakes (the alderman knowing the one victim's name despite it not being released, which makes him look suspicious, and he should have used his position to explain how he can learn details withheld from the general public; the arsonist attacking Baldwin and de Niro which ends up helping give away his identity a little too easily afterwards; Sutherland being a little cliched although otherwise good acting).

Not a bad film per se, but it is ham fisted and cliched. What really must be lauded are, as mentioned, the astonished moments where fire effects and flaming sets are showcased.

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:58 AM   #9125
Space Cop
The Dandy

Wolfen (1981)

"In their eyes, you're the savages."

In a cool moment of serendipity the 40th anniversary of this understated and underrated werewolf flick/murder mystery happened to fall on a full moon (when I wold normally watch a werewolf movie anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Backdraft (1991) . . . Not a bad film per se, but it is ham fisted and cliched. What really must be lauded are, as mentioned, the astonished moments where fire effects and flaming sets are showcased.
I actually find it disappointing at the end that Brian goes back to regular firefighting (though I get it completes the family legacy) instead of the investigating he showed a knack for and which they make clear is understaffed and underappreciated. It's also ridiculous at the end that he agrees to not reveal about the arsonist. There's no way they could prosecute the alderman without revealing the murders. Plus it's crap that Adcox gets full honors like Bull.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-25-2021 at 03:01 AM.