Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 01-18-2022, 04:55 PM   #9576
Parrylakks
Neko Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I still haven't seen KoH, but I plan to. Some conservative Christian friends of mine were irritated at that movie and characterized it as just making the Muslims heroes. But that won't stop me from trying it.
I've heard some people complain about that before, but it just makes me scratch my head and ask if they even actually watched the movie. The only character that could truly be classified as a hero is Balian -- Orlando Bloom's character. Sure, it features some blood thirsty Christians, but it does so with some of the Muslims, too. If anything, it shows that there are good and bad people on all sides, and maybe that's the real problem those conservative friends of yours have -- the idea of a good Muslim, at all.

Anyway, when you watch it, be sure to watch the Director's Cut. It makes a huge difference.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:06 PM   #9577
Space Cop
The Dandy

Arctic Fury (1949)

"Now there is only his instinct."

Based on a real story (and filmed in the same locale) of a doctor in Alaska who crashed his plane and had to cross the wilderness. They obviously exaggerate things at points (the actual crash and immediate results wouldn't be survivable as depicted), but it was still pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
I've heard some people complain about that before, but it just makes me scratch my head and ask if they even actually watched the movie. The only character that could truly be classified as a hero is Balian -- Orlando Bloom's character. Sure, it features some blood thirsty Christians, but it does so with some of the Muslims, too. If anything, it shows that there are good and bad people on all sides, and maybe that's the real problem those conservative friends of yours have -- the idea of a good Muslim, at all.

Anyway, when you watch it, be sure to watch the Director's Cut. It makes a huge difference.
Yeah, I don't buy in to all of that; so, it won't bias me. I remember another conservative saying to me once "I heard The Patriot is the best R-rated movie ever" and I literally laughed out loud (and then tried to explain politely) because I could just see the whole train of thought and as a cinephile (who is also a Christian) just found it ridiculous.

I'll try to remember to look for the director's cut. Thanks.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-22-2022 at 04:03 AM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:23 AM   #9578
Parrylakks
Neko Samurai

Not as good as I'd hoped, but not as bad as I'd feared. It's probably my second favorite live action film in the franchise, but there was just so much potential that I almost feel gutted.

The sets were perfect, the effects were passable, and the actors were mostly okay. I didn't like the Jill, but that may be because Apocalypse (the second Alice film) cast her perfectly, and the Leon, whilst better than the guy in Retribution (the fifth Alice film), just didn't do it for me. I confess, I may be a bit too invested in Leon as a character to accept anything but the voice actor and character model of the games and CG movies, but still. Those two casting choices aside, this was so full of potential, and yet it just seems to have been wasted. They change so much, that all the details of the sets being so spot on become distracting. And the changes are so often pointless. I mean, it's almost like the filmmakers played the first two games decades ago when they first came out, and then only worked off their memory of basic plot points when approaching this movie. And that's just sad.

All this said (and much more that I deleted because I rambled way too long about some of it), it was still a decent movie. Kind of over full of story, but then that was bound to happen when combining two games for one movie, especially those two games. Combining RE2 and RE3 into one film could work, but that's because they take place at the same time. RE1 should've been its own movie, or just left to a prologue sequence. Do it all or do none of it save for the requisite set up, I say.

Also, I lost count of the times I asked myself, "Where's Barry?" Like, there's no reason for him to be left out, but they ditched both him and Rebecca. And I was so sure we were going to at least see a photo of Rebecca when Wesker opened his locker, as a nod to that weird easter egg in the second game, but nope. So much of this movie is them doing their best to do it right. Meticulous set design (have I mentioned that already? Yes? Well let's do it again) that literally puts a fan like me back into the game mentally. Putting the focus on characters that actually exist in the game (sorry Milla, you're great but Alice doesn't exist outside your six movies). But then they just completely biff it on the story.

Really, though, I'm only so critical because they do so much right that the wrongs just feel that much more painful. As such, I think I still like Apocalypse the most of the live-action films. Sure, it had Alice and her BS plot being pasted on top of RE3, but it had a perfect Jill, a great practical Nemesis, and sequences literally lifted from the games. It's more enjoyable because it didn't try to get things right, it just tried to use things as a wink and a nod to the fans. Realistically, I think that somewhere between this new film and that old one there is a perfect RE movie to be had, but we'll probably never get to see it.

Blah... I liked it, if you couldn't tell. I liked it as a film on its own. But as a part of this franchise, it just could've been -- nay -- it SHOULD'VE been so much better than it was. There was clearly enough care to get the little things right, they just didn't give that same attention to the story. And that's annoying.

TLDR; This new RE movie is okay, but if you're a big fan of the games you may still be disappointed.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:49 PM   #9579
Space Cop
The Dandy

Anthropophagous (1980)
[aka The Grim Reaper]
[aka Anthropophagous: The Beast]

"There's evil on this island. An evil that won't let us get away."

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-22-2022 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:03 PM   #9580
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Finishing up the final season of the expanse. Watching finale tonight. Fun sci fi show i highly recommend. Im going to see if my library has the books. I think theres like 6 or 8

A whore a whore of course of course it's always MS. Alexandria Cortez
TazzMission is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:02 AM   #9581
Space Cop
The Dandy

Meat Loaf: In Search of Paradise (2007)

"I'm an a-personality who's made a lot of mistakes. I've been an a**hole in my life, you know, and I'm trying to improve."

Wanted to watch a movie in honor of Meat Loaf (R.I.P.). I could've done Rocky Horror Picture Show, but he's such a short part in that and Fight Club was a little long for my other plans for the evening. Ultimately, this was a better choice because it was much more about him and his music.

Found on Youtube. A documentary following Meat Loaf on his then-current Bat out of Hell III tour. Looks at his life and personality too. Interesting.

I also followed it up with a 52-minute show on Tubi about the original album, but that was an episode of a show called Classic Albums.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-22-2022 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:15 AM   #9582
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Finished the expanse. Shame it ended. Book of boba fett however i admit im losing interest after each episode

Old 01-22-2022, 04:25 AM   #9583
Space Cop
The Dandy

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

"You shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize."

30th anniversary. I used to watch this frequently, but it had been a while. Still love it and on any given day, I may say it's my favorite from Tarantino.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-22-2022 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #9584
Parrylakks
Neko Samurai

Classic movie is a classic.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:24 PM   #9585
Space Cop
The Dandy

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

"Well, my philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice."

Quote:
[Dracula (1931)]

Definitely. It does have weaknesses, especially the ones commonly given about it being an early talkie (no music; exaggerated acting from the secondary cast) and adapted from a play, but I still love it.
Old Yesterday, 04:05 AM   #9586
Parrylakks
Neko Samurai

Far less iconic than the 1931 film, but an objectively better movie in many ways.
Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM   #9587
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

Yes it is!

Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM   #9588
Space Cop
The Dandy

Scream 4 (2011)

"Sick is the new sane."

Can't believe this is more than 10 years old now. Still liked it, but it didn't feel quite as great as I remembered it on first viewing. Now, I'm ready for #5 (maybe tomorrow).

Quote:
[(Horror of) Dracula]
Far less iconic than the 1931 film, but an objectively better movie in many ways.
Agreed. This one is much more about Gothic atmosphere and the amazing screen chemistry between Lee and Cushing.
Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM   #9589
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

All caught up on the boys series. Waiting on season 3. Supposedly this June hopefully no delays

Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM   #9590
Space Cop
The Dandy

Chasing Amy (1997)

"I got a weird thing for girls who say, aboot."

25th anniversary.
Old Today, 09:13 AM   #9591
Parrylakks
Neko Samurai

Undeniably the best Dracula film score; John Williams is always a win.
Old Today, 01:31 PM   #9592
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Despite being released 100 years ago, I think Nosferatu is the best Dracula movie.