The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit

Unhappy Was there ever a time you disliked Green Lantern?

Was there ever a time you disliked Green Lantern?

Last edited by alexander284; 07-31-2008 at 09:12 AM.
alexander284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Dislike? Not exactly.

Going back... way back. Before I've ever read an issue of GL.

I was fleetingly aware of Green Lantern. Something about guys in space wearing leotards going on intergalactic adventures... yeah, I wasn't the least bit interested.

But I was young, I couldn't grasp the depth beneath the leotards, so to speak.

"Emerald Twilight" and Kyle was my hook. Big things, tangible changes were in the air. Was an exciting time and I hopped on.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

This thread is BLASPHEMOUS!

HAHA just kiddin

To be honest, I loved the idea when Kyle left Earth because he lost his meaning and connection with humanity. Such a great idea, but after that, the story started to lag for me. I think it was when Ron Marz left? But it was the only time in 15 years of reading GL, I wasn't crazy about the book.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander284 View Post

Did you "give up" on Green Lantern for a time (before returning)?
1) yep. when Hal went "Reed" for some dumbassed reason......altho I kept reading.

2) did so twice: during the ACW -run, and then about a year b4 Kyle went Ion (I read a co-workers copies of the book from then on until Rebirth cuz it wasnt worth *me* wasting my money, and have since gone back to get the Ion-storyline in TPB.)

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
This thread is BLASPHEMOUS!

HAHA just kiddin

To be honest, I loved the idea when Kyle left Earth because he lost his meaning and connection with humanity. Such a great idea, but after that, the story started to lag for me. I think it was when Ron Marz left? But it was the only time in 15 years of reading GL, I wasn't crazy about the book.
I will admit that I enjoyed seeing him do more off Earth, but I thought his reason for leaving was pathetic, and spoke poorly for him. His gay friend was beat up by some losers, so he is so sick of all humanity that he can't bear to stay on the planet? I guess he just discounted the HUGE crowd that held a candlelight vigil for his friend? Frankly one of my favorite scenes is the one, later, when Terry essentially takes Kyle to task for leaving Earth for that reason. I mean, he's a superhero, fercryinoutloud, surely he was already aware that there are some bad people on Earth?

Generally I found his reaction to Terry's beating somewhat overblown, given some of the things he had already suffered. I mean, he begs Flash to break out the cosmic treadmill to spare Terry a beating, but he never did so (as far as we know, anyway) to try to save Alex from her untimely death? Or to save Donna's family members? Or to save Donna herself? I also thought his resorting to torture over the incident was pretty out of character.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Judd Winick's run.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

i won't say 'Dislike' but i don't like the current run (anything since 'Recharge'), with the exeption of the Corps War as much as V3...

ducks the various objects thrown at him

M
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

I currently dislike Green Lantern v4 due to Johns' continuous retcons... but I'm sure most of you knew that.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Fearless
Agent Orange

I hated John Stewart from that crappy JLU cartoon.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

The pre-Emeral Twilight series for me. I began reading GL from my cousin's stack or early-mid 80's issues and I loved the series. But when I would go to get a new issue on the stands. It was the grey haired Hal not really doing anything special. I never understood why Superman, Batman and several others were rebooted and started over again in the late 80's but Hal was still older and continuing his adventures going back to the 60's. Around issue 37, I gave up and read mostly Marvel stuff. I didn't come back to GL until just before Winnick's run. Whick I liked at first, Kyle's life didn't suck so much anymore, he hooked up with Jade, John got a ring again, an all new villain with a yellow ring showed up in Nero.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I will admit that I enjoyed seeing him do more off Earth, but I thought his reason for leaving was pathetic, and spoke poorly for him. His gay friend was beat up by some losers, so he is so sick of all humanity that he can't bear to stay on the planet? I guess he just discounted the HUGE crowd that held a candlelight vigil for his friend? Frankly one of my favorite scenes is the one, later, when Terry essentially takes Kyle to task for leaving Earth for that reason. I mean, he's a superhero, fercryinoutloud, surely he was already aware that there are some bad people on Earth?

Generally I found his reaction to Terry's beating somewhat overblown, given some of the things he had already suffered. I mean, he begs Flash to break out the cosmic treadmill to spare Terry a beating, but he never did so (as far as we know, anyway) to try to save Alex from her untimely death? Or to save Donna's family members? Or to save Donna herself? I also thought his resorting to torture over the incident was pretty out of character.
congrats, Uve just outlined some of the reasons why Kyle is considered the "Peter Parker" of DC Comics!!

of course, Winick shares a good chunk of that blame......

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
GLC2814.4

Agreed, this is blasphemous.

But seriously, the only time I disliked anything about GL was any of the Volume 3 Joe Staton art. It really sucked ass, as was sub-par, and I disliked looking at it. And it was always Guy's issues that got drawn like shit, which pissed my off even more.

My 2 cents
Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
Tazer

Yo.

thats kinda funny, cuz Stanton was the guy who closed out v2 on GL as I recall......

Tazer

Quote:
Old 07-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via MSN to lanternut

The Man giving up his ring and he lost the fight! FTW!

Picked up issues where Guy popped up from time to time in Kyle's run, but I've been back steady since Rebirth.

And just like Perrylakks... but I'm sure most of you knew that.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 AM   #15
GLC2814.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

thats kinda funny, cuz Stanton was the guy who closed out v2 on GL as I recall......

Tazer

Too true, and I loved Staton's art during Vol 2, even in the early 100's, but by Volume 3 it was just sloppy and looked like shit. I could draw better than that with 3 fingers and a stroke. But I digress...
Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 AM   #16
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC2814.4 View Post
Staton's art during Vol 2, even in the early 100's, but by Volume 3 it was just sloppy and looked like shit. I could draw better than that with 3 fingers and a stroke. But I digress...
ok, now that just aint right man........

Tazer

Quote:
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 AM   #17
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Oh, you guys are WAY too unfair to Staton! his art was always underrated. He's actually one of my favorite GL artists, especially when he was inked by Bruce Patterson.

The period of time where I wasn't happy with GL started right after Gerard Jones' Third Law arc. That was litterally the last good thing he did on the book and should've left with that. Then I HATED Emerald Twilight, and proceeded to hate the book right until Final Night when Hal died. I quite GL with the funeral issue (#80), and didn't come back until the Emerald Knights arc about a year and a half later. A lot of simply buying GL out of unhealthy loyalty until Rebirth in 2005. That was when I officially started enjoying being a GL fan again, though there were some all too fleeting sparkling moments with Marz, Winick, and Raab along the way.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:31 AM   #18
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

Aside from disliking Kyle after ET, I personally disliked alot of volume 3 but the the only comics I hated were the GA/GL comics they totally butchered Hal's character and it took Geoff to finally fix it.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #19
Toriach
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Alright then. I have always loved the idea of Green Lantern. Hal Jordan however? Not so much. I liked the original Hal run when it became Green Lantern Corps. Once the Corps was largely gone and Hal was at loose ends I felt it was all "meh". Then they brought the Corps back or started too and I liked it. But the 90's kind of happened. It was a time when it was almost like writers in super hero comics were ashamed of the element of the fantastic. I like Gerard Jones a lot but so much of his time of GL felt too mundane. And then Emerald Massive Trashing Of A Character And Concept For No Reason Other Than We Decided. I'm sorry, love Kyle all you want (if you do) but the whole, "If there are other characters with essentially the same powers then it robs him of his uniqueness" is utter bullshit. Kyle could have been made GL without all that noise.

And now we have the Geoff Johns era. Frankly I'm loving it. I like that he's taken the core of not only Hal but of the Green Lantern concept and really gotten it yet at the same time is not afraid to rework things to fit his vision rather than trying to warp things around a largely out dated and over filled continuity. He's not perfect (no writer is) but when I know that GL or GLC (thank you Dave Gibbons and now Peter Tomasi plus a few others) is due out I get excited. I finish an issue and I can't wait for the next one. A feeling that I had lost a long time ago. Frankly I feared it was for good and all. I'm glad to discover that it wasn't.

Peace
And
Long
Life

Toriach
Old 08-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #20
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

The only time I really got a bad taste in my mouth (so to speak) from Green Lantern was durring Kyles stint with the Titans, the crossovers they did in Vol 3 ticked me off because I wasn't reading Titans and hated having to buy the book so I understood what the hell it was that was going on.

Darth_Andrea
Old 08-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #21
Hobby One Kenobi

Quote:
Dislike? No

Stopped reading? Yes, during the Judd Winick years as I am not a fan of his & I found his Green Lantern unreadable!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #22
Mr.Itty

Quote:
You all know my answer to that.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #23
Space Jake
Kilowog's Recruit

Hated Marz run on Home coming ARc, only cool part was when kyle blew up the house and told major force to stand up unless he wanted to die on his knees
Space Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #24
Lishego

I never really didn't like it, but for the period when I restarted collecting I had a problem with vol3, but I was more confused and like WTF than being made.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #25
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

I wasn't a big fan of Kyle's run. I liked Fatality, Sonar, and Kyle's team-ups with Connor Hawke. I also enjoyed the Three Of a Kind story where Kyle, Wally and Connor teamed up. Otherwise, Donna Troy drove me nuts, and I couldn't stand how weak Jade had become while Kyle was the only GL.
weareborg is offline   Reply With Quote