The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
Lightbulb Daredevil: The Man Without Fear

Could an individual who is blind function as a Green Lantern?

Last edited by alexander284; 07-31-2008 at 09:25 AM.
alexander284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
listerine
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Why not? Ever here of the F-Sharp Bell?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Grundy
Green Lantern
 
Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 605
Default

Already happened

FIRST APPEARANCE:
TALES OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS ANNUAL # 3
(1987)
"In Blackest Night"

Rot Lop Fan was an inhabitant of the Obsidian Deeps, a black and lightless void in space. He was approached by Katma Tui of the Green Lantern Corps, to serve as a Green Lantern. Rot Lop Fan could not understand Katma Tui's request.

The lifeforms on Rot Lop Fan's world are unable to perceive light. Without an understanding of light and color, "green" and "lantern" had no meaning to him, and could not be translated by the power ring.

Katma Tui hit upon a solution. Instead of explaining the concept of light, she would work with sound. She instructed Rot Lop Fan to imagine a sound with a pleasing resonance. This he did, as a sound in the F-Sharp range. With the concept of sound, Rot Lop Fan could manipulate the energy of the power ring.

She gave Rot Lop Fan a standard uniform with one modification - instead of a lantern, the newest addition to the Corps was given a bell insignia. He believes he is a member of the "F-Sharp Bell Corps."
__________________
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage from Mythbusters
Visit my customs site at http://sculptondemand.webs.com/
Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Old School
Guardian of the Universe
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New york / Warriors Bar
Posts: 7,617
Send a message via AIM to Old School
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundy View Post
Already happened

FIRST APPEARANCE:
TALES OF THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS ANNUAL # 3
(1987)
"In Blackest Night"

Rot Lop Fan was an inhabitant of the Obsidian Deeps, a black and lightless void in space. He was approached by Katma Tui of the Green Lantern Corps, to serve as a Green Lantern. Rot Lop Fan could not understand Katma Tui's request.

The lifeforms on Rot Lop Fan's world are unable to perceive light. Without an understanding of light and color, "green" and "lantern" had no meaning to him, and could not be translated by the power ring.

Katma Tui hit upon a solution. Instead of explaining the concept of light, she would work with sound. She instructed Rot Lop Fan to imagine a sound with a pleasing resonance. This he did, as a sound in the F-Sharp range. With the concept of sound, Rot Lop Fan could manipulate the energy of the power ring.

She gave Rot Lop Fan a standard uniform with one modification - instead of a lantern, the newest addition to the Corps was given a bell insignia. He believes he is a member of the "F-Sharp Bell Corps."


that was easy, topic closed
__________________
HUNDRED'S OF COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE! http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=17568
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 25,322
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander284 View Post
In the Marvel Comics Universe, Daredevil is "The Man Without Fear."

This sounds a lot like Green Lantern Hal Jordan, doesn't it?
not to be pedantic but: Jordan isnt "fearless". *none* of the GLC are for that matter.

Hal, like the rest are just able to overcome it alot better than the rest of us at overcoming their fear.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander284 View Post
So this got me thinking (since Daredevil is blind):

Could an individual who is blind function as a Green Lantern?
nope, not if U ask Kyle.




Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
Thumbs up Wow!

Wow, you guys are amazing!
alexander284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Sasha Bordeaux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I love Daredevil, Brubaker is a fantastic writer. It's my favourite Marvel series.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
RichSan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

daredevil is the only other title i'm trying to find all the back issues to.
to answer the ? -a blind person could set up a link with the ring for sensory input tp help assess threats. they could write a character like DD with heightened senses which are further amplified by the ring.
besides sight isn't a requirement for ring eligibility just fearlessness
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 25,322
Default

Yo.

and honesty. how is it that most ppl glide right over that one.....??






Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
GLC2814.4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I liked DareDevil during Kevin Smith's run; dats about it though
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:53 AM   #11
listerine
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Have you read the issues written by Frank Miller?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:08 AM   #12
TalonSoulbender
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerine View Post
Have you read the issues written by Frank Miller?

Oh hell yeah! Those were the best stories and artwork!
Miller propelled DD from a b-list vigilante into Marvel's answer to Batman!
Those were the days!


Talon


LOD
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:15 AM   #13
GLC2814.4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Agreed, Miller DD was arguably some of the best DD written for years, the back issues are kinda pricey so get the GN if you havent read it yet. Still, K Smith is my all time fav
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
LanternFirefighter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.



not to be pedantic but: Jordan isnt "fearless". *none* of the GLC are for that matter.

Hal, like the rest are just able to overcome it alot better than the rest of us at overcoming their fear.




nope, not if U ask Kyle.




Tazer

You're talking about the JLA "Tower of Babel" arc, I'm sure.

For being an artist whose brain has become to accustomed to the freedom that using a power ring suggests... suddenly becoming required to process and sort data in a completely different manner.... would be overwhelming.
I liken it to a paraplegic. If you're born without the use of your legs, then tasks and day-to-day activities become routine. But to suddenly lose the use of them during a marathon?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #15
The Cosmic Geek
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Daredevil himself would make for an interesting Green Lantern. I wonder what his costume would look like?

I love Frank Miller's and Kevin Smith's run on DD, excellent work. I hear Bendis did some good stuff with it as well, but I haven't read it.

But, yeah, I think a blind person could make a good GL. They could know the color green, like in Matt Murdoch's way, from before they lost their vision. I wonder if we will ever get a story about a character like that? Would be interesting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Lundonj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Bordeaux View Post
I love Daredevil, Brubaker is a fantastic writer. It's my favourite Marvel series.
Brubaker's DD is pretty amazing. So is his Cap and his all too short run on Iron Fist. But his Daredevil is really good, despite the Cap run getting bigger buzz.





-Don
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #17
RichSan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Brubaker and Bendis both doing/did amazing runs on the dd book

david mack did a pretty cool arc featuring ben urich too
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
RichSan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[QUOTE=Lundonj;74163]Brubaker's DD is pretty amazing. So is his Cap and his all too short run on Iron Fist. But his Daredevil is really good, despite the Cap run getting bigger buzz.





could not agree more !!!! love the stuff he's doing with the older DD & Cap villains making them more relevant---hmmm that sounds familiar, like something Geoff Johns would do
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:18 AM   #19
glantern
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philippines
Posts: 360
Default

can't seem to look at DD the same way... not after ben-a-fleck's interpretation...
__________________
When hope, compassion and love are gone; For rage, avarice and fear have won

From the center the green shall alight; By will and justice shinning bright

To those who dwell in evil's might; Beware my power
Green Lantern's Light
glantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.