The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit

Red face Which Green Lantern would pose the greatest threat to Superman?

Which Green Lantern would pose the greatest threat to Superman?

Last edited by alexander284; 07-31-2008 at 09:26 AM.
alexander284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

for this i actually have to say Alan...

while i think Kyle would have a good chance of it, i could picture Alan actually taking it...

it would be a combination of brute force attacks while using the starheart to keep Superman busy until he could actually finish him off...

M
Old 07-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

anyone that is expierenced
Old 07-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
Fearless
Agent Orange

Sodam. He's a GL, AND has most of Superman's powers under a yellow sun. Sodam FTW!!
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:05 AM   #5
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless2814.1 View Post
Sodam. He's a GL, AND has most of Superman's powers under a yellow sun. Sodam FTW!!
Sodam Yats track record is not the best one.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
Fearless
Agent Orange

That may be, but look at it this way...

Ion + Superman = HOLYSHITGETOUTOFTHEWAYMOTHERFUCKER
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #7
HonorGuardLantern423
Weaponer of Qward

I would have said Sodam also, but I think any GL with experience could take on the man of steel with the power of will. I made a rhyme!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:32 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Seems a no-brainer.

Alan Scott. Superman is weak against magic, and the Starheart is magic-based, unlike Oan rings which are tech-based.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #9
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Kilowog, he is the best at using the ring. Has the most combat experience, and is generally tough enough to take a hit or two.

Other than that, Maybe Raker. He has been fighting new gods all of his life, Superman can't be that much more of a challenge.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:03 AM   #10
the power battery

i think it would take half of the corps to take down the man of steel i mean hes the MAN OF STEEL
Old 07-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #11
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Seems a no-brainer.

Alan Scott. Superman is weak against magic, and the Starheart is magic-based, unlike Oan rings which are tech-based.
I like your reasoning on this, Andrew NDB.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #12
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

Any experienced GL would pose a huge threat to Superman, but Hal because of his knowledge of Superman first hand would know how to take Supes down the most effective way possible.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Guys, guys... magic is like Superman's second Kryptonite. Alan's powers are magic-based. And Alan is way more experienced than Hal.

Not saying that Hal couldn't take down Superman... in fact, I can think of one comic where Hal pretty much does. But Alan would have the easiest time of all of them.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #14
Toriach
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Guys, guys... magic is like Superman's second Kryptonite. Alan's powers are magic-based. And Alan is way more experienced than Hal.

Not saying that Hal couldn't take down Superman... in fact, I can think of one comic where Hal pretty much does. But Alan would have the easiest time of all of them.
Not only that but let's not forget that Alan was originally based in Gotham which has never exactly been an easy town. While I think that an earth based GL would hesitate because of who Superman is and what he means I think that Alan would be pretty ruthless and get the job done with as little fuss as possible.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #15
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
That's true, but how about his first Kryptonite, namely... uh... Kryptonite? Is there a Green Lantern that could create green Kryptonite with his ring?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
That's true, but how about his first Kryptonite, namely... uh... Kryptonite? Is there a Green Lantern that could create green Kryptonite with his ring?
Well, Hal, probably.

But that would require a pretty heavy amount of concentration... to know the exact chemical composition, to envision it, coalesce it, whatnot.

Alan's got magic power at his disposal, which is just about as good... and it's part of everything he does and he needn't even barely think about it.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #17
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit

Question Kryptonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Hmmmm ..... would "artificial" Kryptonite have the same effect as the real thing?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #18
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Well while I know this isn't cannon, I seem to remember a episode of Superfirends where Hal created some Kryptonight to stop superman because he had gone rogue (mind contol or something) And Firestorm has done that a time or two as well.

Darth_Andrea
Old 07-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #19
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I know I am gonna piss off every Superman fan within a 3 mile radius ,but I don't think any pre vol 4 powering wielding Green Lantern would have trouble with Superman. If I was a Green Lantern I would just mind wipe him to stay outta my way. If That did not work I would just oped a spaciel rift in the space between his head and neck,a less nice version of what Kyle did to major force. The only chance Superman realy has is rep. People of Earth believe he is so big and soooo bad that he may be able to intimidate enough fear in them to get through a GL's defenses. Magic and Kryptonite are Superman's known weaknesses the universe is a big place with all knids of diffrent dangers just waiting to be discovered. Superman is no doubt Earths greatest hero. but in the bigger universal picture he is a small fish in a big pond.

I wish the current writters of GLC could remember that.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #20
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

The real advantage Superman has is his speed. The time it takes for a GL to think about what kind of ring-creation to throw at Superman, Superman has already flown 5 circles around you. You know?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #21
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander284 View Post
Hmmmm ..... would "artificial" Kryptonite have the same effect as the real thing?
yes, it's not the Kryptonite itself that is deadly to Superman, it's the radiation it gives off...

Radiation is just another type of energy, something GL rings are fantastic at emitting lol

just like red star radiation in fact

M
Old 07-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #22
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Well, Hal, probably.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/blah2.jpg

But that would require a pretty heavy amount of concentration... to know the exact chemical composition, to envision it, coalesce it, whatnot.

Alan's got magic power at his disposal, which is just about as good... and it's part of everything he does and he needn't even barely think about it.
well, to be fair it didnt look like that imposter had much trouble focusing on the task for it to happen.

Quote:

good point; I personally would like to see wat happens when U give Hal Alan's Ring and give him that task, cuz while Alan has exp for it I think currently Hal is the more effective Ring user 'tween then atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander284 View Post
check A-NDBs msg just before yurs a-284.......

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #23
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

How a Green Lantern would be able to defeat Superman:

Power rings are capable of generating electromagnetic radiation of various frequencies. This radiation can be focused by the wearer into a beam, similar in appearance and effect to a massively powerful laser. All you'd need to know to emulate the radiation from that of Kryptonite would be it's chemical make up.

For those who don't know, it's been explained as being comprised of 'Sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide with fluorine'. As borosilicate glass is commonly crystalline and green-tinted, this could be a plausible human mis-identification of kryptonite; alternately, as no 'unknown' component is listed, one might assume this blend to be the actual composition of green kryptonite.

Any Lantern with the willpower and knowledge should be able to achieve this.

FYI : Real sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide (without fluorine), Jadarite, was discovered in a Serbian mine in April 2007, and takes the form of a white powder rather than large green crystals.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #24
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
FYI : Real sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide (without fluorine), Jadarite, was discovered in a Serbian mine in April 2007, and takes the form of a white powder rather than large green crystals.
hey, heres a thought: since DC is writing kryptonite as having possible mutagenic properties in human maybe we should get our hands on some, make some k-shakes (or a couple of "lines" for those so inclined) and see wat happens!!

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #25
Nived

I remember in I believe it was the Superman Rex storyline Martian Manhunter feeding Kyle the chemical composition of Kryptonite and he created some with his ring. Problem is he hesitated because he couldn't bring himself to 'kill Superman' (his ring wouldn't have stopped him at the time) which lead to him getting clobbered.

He's probably matured since then.

We do however have to consider circumstance, is this Superman going all out? Because Clark really does hold back, and wont kill people, which makes him easier to defeat... compared to Superboy Prime who is totally an animal, he killed 20 Green Lanterns, and almost killed Guy.