The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit

Unhappy Ever have a love/hate relationship with a comic book?

Have you ever had a love/hate relationship with a comic book?

Last edited by alexander284; 07-31-2008 at 09:18 AM.
alexander284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

yeah... currently with Green Lantern...

i love the character, i really do... but i really, really hate how they are treating Kyle at the moment...

M
Old 07-26-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Send a message via AIM to The_Mad_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mad_Dragon

That would be Green Lantern CORPS now, Meth.

And yes, Teen Titans. Current run.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Gary

-Secret Invasion sucked a big time.

-I love Teen Titans title, but yeah. I don't like them when they made Ravager left the team for Terror Titans.

-I <3 Raven. She is in my Top 5 favorite heroes, but I didn't like how she was being treated like a crap in her miniseries title.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

That would be Green Arrow/Black Canary and the Flash for me.

I LOVE the character of Green Arrow/Ollie, but the book has sucked ASS for a LONG time now. I'd hoped when DC decided to relaunch the book that Judd Winick would move on to other projects, but such was not the case. I'm on the verge of dropping it again with the idea that I'll come back when the book gets a new writer. Ollie's one of those characters I have a hard time giving up on, no matter how bad the book is, because he was a childhood hero of mine.

I love Flash (Wally, Barry and Jay), but that title has been horrible since Geoff Johns left. It's obviously in lame duck mode at the moment, and I'm just hanging on waiting for the big revamp with Barry. I'm sure the house will be rocking then!

Those two are about it. I'm happy as hell with all the other regulars I buy. I had a couple of mini series that weren't doing it for me, and I just cut them loose. I'm still buying Final Crisis, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's pretty much a required purchase to keep my fanboy membership card. FC: Rogues Revenge is good so far though. I plan on buying FC: Revelations for the Spectre connection, and have high hopes for that one.

And just so I'm not standing here doing anything but complaining (even though complaining IS the point of the thread!), the books I'm buying and am happy with are all books I'd recommend; The Boys, GL, GLC, Hellblazer, and JSA are all great. I'm also picking up Action again for the Gary Frank arcs. Friggin' great book, and I'm not even a Superman fan! I also buy Fables and Jack Of Fables in trade form, and I can't recommend those two books enough. Hellblazer's Chas: The Knowledge has been good so far too.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:37 AM   #6
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
That would be Green Arrow/Black Canary and the Flash for me.

I LOVE the character of Green Arrow/Ollie, but the book has sucked ASS for a LONG time now. I'd hoped when DC decided to relaunch the book that Judd Winick would move on to other projects, but such was not the case. I'm on the verge of dropping it again with the idea that I'll come back when the book gets a new writer.
Funny I remember him nearly destroying another book with the word Green in the title!
Old 07-26-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
SelinaStarheart

Cat Woman anyone?
Old 07-26-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelinaStarheart View Post
Cat Woman anyone?
i loved the original Catwoman series, up until she got the 'reboot' and they changed her outfit to the current one...

the original 'prostitute' catwoman story was completely awesome, and the second storyline with the purple outfit that ran for about 10 years was one my 'pull list' for the entire run...

the latest catwoman though just doesn't hold my interest

oh, and did you like the sigs i did for you?

M
Old 07-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

The X-Men, ever since Morrison left. I love most of the characters. I liked some of what Whedon did. But I hate the rest. Even great writers like Milligan, Carey and Brubaker couldn't bring back my enthusiasm for the X-Men. And I was bored by events like Decimation or Messiah Complex.

Perhaps it would be best to cut the whole X-Men line down to one or two books for a while.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander284 View Post
Have you ever had a love/hate relationship with a comic book?
You have no idea.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Toriach
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Yeah. Currently Morrison's run on Batman. He'll do an issue that's just brilliant followed almost immediately by a total WTF issue.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Nived

I like Batman, I like the idea of Batman, I like his cartoon, I like his movies (that weren't done by Joel Schumacher) I like him whenever I see him interacting with other heroes, I like him in the JLA, I like him in The Outsiders.... but I hate his own series. I've tried to read Batman many many many times over my comic collecting career, but every time I pick up a Batman title, it never entertains me.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Green Lantern sometimes. Vol 3 Hal was just awful and I had to force myself through some of those issues. Early Kyle issues whe they where making the point that Old Green Lantern sucks and you suck if you liked it. Current GLC with its showcase characters that I don't care about. If it Did not Have Kyle,Guy,and the currently baddly written Stel and Arisa. I don't know if I could read that book.I still have not read 26.

Deathlok Love the character and the Idea but he is always written so badly. Captain America. I love Cap but,His book was dreadful and I can't fault them for offing him. Wolverine When his books are good they are real good,but when it sucks they realy really sucks.

Comic realtionships are like real relationships though if you really love 'em then you take the good with the bad.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

GL, GLC, JLA, TT.....and despite all my rage Im still just a rat in a cage, cuz Im STILL READING THEM DAMMIT!!!

*breaks down crying*

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

the new brave and the bold team up book. I like d the first six issues then it starting going to shit..I dropped it finally and
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #16
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Deathlok Love the character and the Idea but he is always written so badly.
I picked up issue #1 of this sometime ago, written by McDuffie. I thought he did an awesome job of handling this guy. I also have the 4 parter with the other two Deathloks in it (original one flung through time and a future one). While I liked it, it wasn't stellar. The character is awesome tho, one of my fav Cyborgs.

Also - JSA. I really like the whole concept of the book. I like big team books, and this is one of them. But...I just feel like it hasn't really done anything super significant yet. Even bringing in KC Supes, while at the start was "holy shit! this is awesome" it has since spun its wheels in the mud.

GLC - Love the book. Hate the death of Bzzd

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #17
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toriach View Post
Yeah. Currently Morrison's run on Batman. He'll do an issue that's just brilliant followed almost immediately by a total WTF issue.
Whoa. Seriously? This is shocking, because I love EVERY issue I have which is practically all of them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nived
I like Batman, I like the idea of Batman, I like his cartoon, I like his movies (that weren't done by Joel Schumacher) I like him whenever I see him interacting with other heroes, I like him in the JLA, I like him in The Outsiders.... but I hate his own series. I've tried to read Batman many many many times over my comic collecting career, but every time I pick up a Batman title, it never entertains me.
Whoa. Seriously? This is shocking....I usually hate when people just use Batman because he "fits" into their storyline. They just put in this "Arrogant, two-words per sentence Batman." Honestly, I think if you guys wanted to understand Batman, it'd be pretty easy.

My love/hate relationship would obviously be with The Flash. He's been really lackluster since his return.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
Maverick_GL

Can't believe I forgot about this:

Final Crisis. First off, I really, REALLY want this to be a good story. I want it to mop the floor with everything. The problem is, I have no clue whats going on, still. It seems like its just all over the place right now. Not only that, but not a single "thought" or "narration" bubble to even give us any sort of clue at all. CoIE was littered with Narration, explaining what was going on each step of the way. IC was ripe with Thought bubbles from Kal-L, which provided a sort of narration for the events leading up to his return. Bottom line - you knew what was going on.

With FC, it just seems like we've been flung into the middle of some scenario, without really knowing whats going on. There is no backstory to this event. Countdown is essentially ret-conned already, or at least ignored. Aside from an appearance of Libra and the Human Flame in JLA, the Alphas in GL (and maybe something in Titans?) there was nothing leading up to this. It's just happened, seemingly at a large disconnect from everything else thats going on in the DCU right now.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Old 07-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #19
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

oh Mav, I want to go on a 2 page post about what you just said, but I won't because I'm sure it was sarcsam...right???!!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #20
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Green Lantern volume 4 is this way with me... I love Green Lantern, but I'm not very fond of most within the current run.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #21
Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
oh Mav, I want to go on a 2 page post about what you just said, but I won't because I'm sure it was sarcsam...right???!!
Not at all. Thats how I feel about the book. I mean, I "know" whats going on, sort of, but only by talking to people and figuring out for ourselves. The comic itself has done very little to really explain itself.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #22
Toriach
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Whoa. Seriously? This is shocking, because I love EVERY issue I have which is practically all of them..

Whoa. Seriously? This is shocking....I usually hate when people just use Batman because he "fits" into their storyline. They just put in this "Arrogant, two-words per sentence Batman." Honestly, I think if you guys wanted to understand Batman, it'd be pretty easy.

My love/hate relationship would obviously be with The Flash. He's been really lackluster since his return.
Yeah seriously. *L* I know a lot of lot of people are loving it. And I liked Son Of The Bat at the start but felt it ended too quickly. I avoided the resurection of Ra's Al Ghul, and have felt that a lot of the Black Glove society or whatever has been really un even. The bit with the ten eyed man where Bruce revealed his ID? Ugh. But then the next issue had me just riveted. Of course I had the same reaction to Morrison's X-Men run. I think part of it is I first got into Grant with JLA which was really really incredible and kind of like one's first love nothing is ever going to quite live up to it.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:57 PM   #23
IonFan
Forum Member

I loved Kyle as ION (1st and 2nd times), but i HATED his book "ION", the art made me to death, but i still got every issue

IonFan says

Quote:
MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #24
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit

Red face Batman Comics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toriach View Post
I've heard Batman fans say "Detective Comics" is far superior to "Batman."
alexander284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #25
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander284 View Post
I've heard Batman fans say "Detective Comics" is far superior to "Batman."
coughIDIOTScough...j/k...but I wholeheartedly disagree.