The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit

Default Will Green Lantern ever be as popular as Batman or Superman?

Will Green Lantern ever be as popular as Batman or Superman?

Last edited by alexander284; 07-31-2008 at 09:28 AM.
alexander284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Well Batman and Superman have near 80 years of publication behind them. With as much marketing to go along with those years. Green Lantern has been around as long but even back in the day Alan Scott's Green Lantern wasn't a top priority book. It was popular but not as much as Superman or Batman. Then in the 60's they reimagined Green Lantern, into the Space Cops we know today. Though in all honestly as someone who has followed it since the 80's a actual frame work of rank and structure wasn't heavly imposed on the books till the current run.

(Thanks Geoff )

For as long as I remember reading GL there was hardly ever talk of rank or one Lantern being a superior officer to another. The Honor Guard which was very rarely shown had some pull as I remember but that was because they were chosen to be direct guards to the Guardians. Before the current run a GL was given his badge the moment he got his ring, that is no longer the case, he/she/it must pass basic training to get the badge and it dose at least now seem possiable that even someone chosen to wear the ring might flunk and be sent home. Their were no White Circles before. Those who had potential but might not make it. There is now, and as seen in the Secret Origins Geoff is changeing History to make it like that was always the way.

The current run of GL and GLC is more popular than I believe the previous incarnations have been. Perhaps in part due to the new structure added to the mythos. But to get the public name reconition of Superman or Batman from the average joe on the street, Yeah it's gonna take a movie or at least a Animated or live action television series to get that kind of general name reconition outside the comics community. Justice League and Justice League Unlimited were good first steps. Over all however I think it will take something much more prevasive, than 3 or 4 episodes of a cartoon that focused on the GLC to really ring out the possibiltys of it's popularity.

The "Average Joe On The Street" wants and needs to be shocked into noticeing anything anymore. Look at the most popular movies and tv shows over the last decade. Most have been huge budgeted BlockBusters designed to be thrill rides to one extent or another. Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, The Matrix, all movies that have that Shiney New Car feel when they come to the theaters. Their flashy and exciting, and had marketing machines behind them that were almost certin to draw in the crowds.

Green Lantern needs much the same if it's to have a serious shot at becoming a major part of American and world wide pop-culture like Superman or Batman are. While I don't know if it's true I have heard you can go to the remote villages in africa or in India and say Superman and Batman and they know what your taking about. I would love Green Lantern to be added to that list.

Darth_Andrea

Last edited by Darth_Andrea; 07-24-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
t67443
Green Lantern

Only way I see it happening is making a Green Lantern movie where Hal, Alan, Kyle or John are a distinct personality that people can think of instantly.
t67443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by t67443 View Post
Only way I see it happening is making a Green Lantern movie where Hal, Alan, Kyle or John are a distinct personality that people can think of instantly.

I agree, a movie needs to be made
Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

No. I don't think its possible. History is not on their side. GL
Quote:
could
very well start a fanbase like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and other "fantasy" like books with their movie. But Batman and Superman will probably always be on top. They are just simply icons. It'll take something(a couple of bad movies or terrible arcs on their main titles) to damage them for any DC character to catch up.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
For as long as I remember reading GL there was hardly ever talk of rank or one Lantern being a superior officer to another. The Honor Guard which was very rarely shown had some pull as I remember but that was because they were chosen to be direct guards to the Guardians.
There was the Crimson Mantle of of Command.

About the question at hand:

Superman and Batman had comic books at the height of their popularity, radio shows at the height of their popularity, Cliffhanger serials, tv shows, movies, video games, action figures, merchandise. There is a synergy between those things. When a cartoon becomes popular enough, there will be Burger King toys, for example.

Green Lantern as a franchise had comic books, very few appearances in cartoons like Super Friends, Superman or Justice League, but rarely did they have a starring role. With the exception of the DC Direct figures (which isn't really aimed at children), there has never been a central GL toy line.

The GL mythos has a lot of potential, but that has never been fully exploited commercially. Sure, a movie could help. But there needs to be a lot more, a constant presence in all of the different forms of media - for several decades.

One other thing: At its core, Superman and Batman are very simple, primal, powerful ideas. Green Lantern's concept is more complex, and it has changed a lot over the decades.
And the (to an outsider) almost random secret identity changes (Batman has always been Bruce Wayne, Superman has always been Clark Kent, Green Lantern has been Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayners and literally thousands of other characters) made it hard to create one striking image like Superman's "ripping his shirt open, revealing the "S"-shield underneath" shtick).
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Lantern Kreon
Weaponer of Qward

Send a message via AIM to Lantern Kreon Send a message via Yahoo to Lantern Kreon

I don't actually think the movie would be the way to go to really increase the fanbase. The way DC movies have tended to be, it'd be a movie primarily targeted at fans and older audiences.

No the real trick is to build young. Why do you suppose there are such large numbers of Supes and Bats fans that are around 18-24 now? I think it all goes back to having great cartoons for those during their childhoods. BTAS was amazing. It hooked fans early, and a lot of them stuck with it. I have several friends who got into comics because of cartoons, whether it was Bats, Supes, or Xmen.

GL is also perfectly suited for a good team series. Instead, WB wastes our time with Legion of Superheroes and The Batman.

Take note WB. Make a GLC cartoon. And a movie. The movie definitely couldn't hurt.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Kreon View Post
I don't actually think the movie would be the way to go to really increase the fanbase. The way DC movies have tended to be, it'd be a movie primarily targeted at fans and older audiences.

No the real trick is to build young. Why do you suppose there are such large numbers of Supes and Bats fans that are around 18-24 now? I think it all goes back to having great cartoons for those during their childhoods. BTAS was amazing. It hooked fans early, and a lot of them stuck with it. I have several friends who got into comics because of cartoons, whether it was Bats, Supes, or Xmen.

GL is also perfectly suited for a good team series. Instead, WB wastes our time with Legion of Superheroes and The Batman.

Take note WB. Make a GLC cartoon. And a movie. The movie definitely couldn't hurt.

I agree, but, with the success of the jla/jlu cartoon. the jla comic book and now with the superfriends back comic wise. I would say its safe to say that if your a comic reader or even a cartoon watcher no matter what age, you know who green lantern is.

hell my daughter is 3 and she knows just by looking at the symbol or the costume in general.

I say make the movie.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
listerine

Well, things like Superman and Batman, or Star Wars or James Bond are in their own class of pop-culture icons, and it will be next to impossible for other pop-culture figures to reach that status. Star Wars became a phenomenon because it was the first series to incorporate state of the art (at the time) special effects and combine that with space-fantasy storytelling. Superman and Batman were the original superheroes at the dawn of comics' Golden Age, and were soon followed by thousands of other superheroes, most of which were rushed and not well developed. By the time GL came around, he was "just another superhero" in the public eye. GL has enormous potential as a TV or movie franchise, and could gain a huge following and become a pop-culture phenomenon like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. But just like Harry Potter can never reach the status Star Wars has, GL can never rival Superman or Batman either.
I personally believe that GL is an equal to Superman and Batman, and that he is as important as either to the DCU. Many of DC's properties like GL and Flash can gain a huge following if WB would just have a little faith in them. Unfortunately however, all WB seems to be interested in as far as DC properties go is to continue milking the Superman and Batman cash cows, but not take the risk on investing in any of the lesser known characters. The difference between DC/WB and Marvel is that Marvel believes in their characters which don't have an X or Spider in their names.

Last edited by listerine; 07-24-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit

Thumbs up Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
There was the Crimson Mantle of of Command.

About the question at hand:

At its core, Superman and Batman are very simple, primal, powerful ideas. Green Lantern's concept is more complex, and it has changed a lot over the decades.
And the (to an outsider) almost random secret identity changes (Batman has always been Bruce Wayne, Superman has always been Clark Kent, Green Lantern has been Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayners and literally thousands of other characters) made it hard to create one striking image like Superman's "ripping his shirt open, revealing the "S"-shield underneath" shtick).
I really like your closing argument here. It makes a great deal of sense to me.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:27 AM   #11
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

i believe it can . but only if they do a super-terrific GL movie.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:34 AM   #12
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

i believe its possible also..i agree with TONS T..a movie would help..or an animated series
Old 07-25-2008, 04:48 AM   #13
SelinaStarheart

I agree with doing a movie, but only if its done right. We really cant afford any goof ups. They have to have a story line that appeals to everyone including non GL fans. That kinda why I think a Kyle story would be best because hes more current and easier to relate to because of his place now as the current GL. Id love to see any GL story really.

Nowadays though all people give a crap about is explosions and chaos. So the story line would have to be really appealing to all audiences to ensure the success, and I think some day GL will takes its place, rightfully beside SM and BM. But until then baby steps.... lets get an amazing film out there thats gonna blow people away and get them hooked, just like us. Then who know maybe GL will be the biggest DC title of all. They just have to get the movie right first.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:09 AM   #14
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Maybe shoot for Aquaman status, he's not that popular but everyone knows who he is and what he can go. right now the GL symbol is a little more well known than any lantern in comics. There are a few reasons why GL is not as known. First of all there is tv exposure. The superfriends mostly consisted of Superman, Batman Wonderwoman and Aquaman. With other heroes coming later and GL was in very few episodes. On top of the fact that there has not been any gl cartoon or show. Or even a movie. A movie would go a long way toward getting some fame GL's way. The second problem is that Green Lantern is in DC's expendable/replaceable secon tier of characters. I mean Flash, Lantern, Atom, Hawkman. Just because they were updated from their original 40's incarnation in the 60's, DC editers think they can be replaced with a completely new face every 20 years or so. Meanwhile Batman, Superman, and Wonderwoman stay the same with same names and origins. Batman has been the same character with the same look for so long, it is almost blasphemy to change anything now.
But basically Green Lantern needs exposure, tv, movie, tv mvie dosen't matter. But something to get some mainstream exposure. I still think if JLU was still being made today, we would eventually get a sinestro corps war arc.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

how about a 6 movie deal like starwars lol...that would be interesting..(war of light in space)
Old 07-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #16
alexander284
Kilowog's Recruit

Smile GL as Sci-FI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchBearer2814 View Post
how about a 6 movie deal like starwars lol...that would be interesting..(war of light in space)
Rather than treating GL as an action hero movie, approaching it as a science fiction story might be better?