The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics
View Poll Results: Would you like to see a higher degree of realism in comics?
Yes 4 26.67%
No 10 66.67%
Undecided/No Opinion 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Default More realism in comics?

Do comics need a generally higher degree of realism?

What do you think?
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Nope. At least not as a general rule. Obviously there is a place for "realistic" comics, but do I want comics in general to move that direction? No.

One reason might be that I feel like that has been a trend already, and it always seems to mean "darker and grittier". Again, dark and gritty has its place, but taking things and making them darker and grittier does not automatically make them better, IMHO. Some things just aren't SUPPOSED to be dark and gritty, and don't work that way.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

I agree with Ed. Something I would add is I think creators and publishers think that by making something more "realistic", they believe their relating to people more. That people really want their fiction to mirror struggles they face in everyday life. Which is horseshit. What people want is characters they can relate to in a more real way. You can have a character go up against the craziest sort of reality you want, but if that character acts with emotion and in a way that someone can relate to then that's what matters. Not whether the trappings of the movie adhere to their real life sensibilities.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

By their nature, super-hero comics are not realistic. But if they stray far away from the human factor, then they lose something. Case in point: the Green Lantern franchise.

To me, it's important to have real people in sci-fi. Think Star Trek.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

And BTW, I don't regard "grim and gritty" as necessarily realistic.

I've always thought that if a writer depicted the Joker as smoking a cigarette, eating a jelly roll, kicking a dog and calling Batman "Batfag," the higher-ups at DC would be scandalized and would censor it.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

One more thing. If your readers think that you villains are "cool," then you ain't depicting them right.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

I'd love more realism in comics, but...my definition of "realism" might not be the same as yours.

I want a strong "story bible" with solid world building and good continuity.
I want actions to have consequences, and for the characters to be well rounded and three dimensional.

I think it's more than possible to do that and still have someone powerful enough to punch a moon into a different orbit.

But I will disagree with the notion that villains can't/shouldn't be "cool." A villain, a well written villain, is still the hero of his own story. Make it a good one. Make them charismatic, powerful, and most of all competent.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
By their nature, super-hero comics are not realistic. But if they stray far away from the human factor, then they lose something. Case in point: the Green Lantern franchise.

To me, it's important to have real people in sci-fi. Think Star Trek.
..........so wait: Worf is living, breathing person?

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
Tazer

Yo.

and if a person wants to enjoy stories with a high degree of realism, then they should check out the NON-FICTION wing in a bookstore or library.......

personally, I think any1 who wants "realism" in a superhero comic has lost their fucking mind, since that goes against the very idea of wat that type of comic is all about.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

and if a person wants to enjoy stories with a high degree of realism, then they should check out the NON-FICTION wing in a bookstore or library.......

personally, I think any1 who wants "realism" in a superhero comic has lost their fucking mind, since that goes against the very idea of wat that type of comic is all about.

Tazer
You missed the point. Of course all these people running around in spandex and knocking down walls, and constantly getting killed and coming back, isn't realistic. But if you stray completely away from realism, then you're going to suck.

There's very little human factor or realism in the Green Lantern franchise now. That's why it sucks.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Was there ever any sort of realism in the GL franchise though? Realer human emotions maybe, but to me that's something different than "realism".

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
Mister Ed

See, this may be a question of terminology. I wouldn't peg "lack of realism" as a problem in the GL titles. This could mean that we disagree about what problems the GL titles have (well almost certainly we do on SOME level, given your disdain for constructs, but let's not open THAT can of worms again), but in this regard I suspect it is more likely that we are viewing the term "realism" differently.

Having some more human-scale storylines with real character development would be great, IMHO. I just don't think of that as what is usually meant by making comics more "realistic". To me, that's just making the title more balanced (since I wouldn't want them to NEVER do the big, universe-spanning, massive crisis stories again. I'm just tired of them DOMINATING to the exclusion of all else).
Old 06-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I don't want writers to insult my intelligence. I don't want them to stretch the suspension of disbelief too far. I want their stories to remain somewhat consistent.

That is all.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
See, this may be a question of terminology. I wouldn't peg "lack of realism" as a problem in the GL titles. This could mean that we disagree about what problems the GL titles have (well almost certainly we do on SOME level, given your disdain for constructs, but let's not open THAT can of worms again), but in this regard I suspect it is more likely that we are viewing the term "realism" differently.

Having some more human-scale storylines with real character development would be great, IMHO. I just don't think of that as what is usually meant by making comics more "realistic". To me, that's just making the title more balanced (since I wouldn't want them to NEVER do the big, universe-spanning, massive crisis stories again. I'm just tired of them DOMINATING to the exclusion of all else).
I do mean what you're saying there about the need for smaller-scale stories, but I also mean more than that. You can have "big" stories as well but you can make them more realistic. For example. I keep seeing all these "wars," but I don't see anything at all like real war as viewed from the ground. The wars I'm seeing have a video-game quality. If I write about a war, I'm going to show suffering and nastiness up close. It's not going to be neat and antiseptic. People are not going to be erased quickly, easily and painlessly.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-27-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Voted "Undecided" because I'm more "yes for some, no for others."

I like realism depending on the comic I'm reading. If it's supposed to be fairly or very realistic as a main part of its premise, then I want the realism to be there in a large degree.

But if I'm reading a comic about a talking dog that flies around the world speaking only in limericks, then fuck realism.

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #16
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I've typically read comic books to escape the realities of daily life. But I gravitated to Marvel characters because a lot of their characters have normal every day life issues, like Peter Parker.

In general, I like mythological aspects of comic. I mean, in a way, comic books are the American mythology, with powers that exceed Greek Gods.

Therefore, I don't need so see a higher degree of realism in comics; just better story telling and quality.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #17
Mister Ed

Quote:
I do mean what you're saying there about the need for smaller-scale stories, but I also mean more than that. You can have "big" stories as well but you can make them more realistic. For example. I keep seeing all these "wars," but I don't see anything at all like real war as viewed from the ground. The wars I'm seeing have a video-game quality. If I write about a war, I'm going to show suffering and nastiness up close. It's not going to be neat and antiseptic. People are not going to be erased quickly, easily and painlessly.
See, but that's sounding like "make it grim and gritty" again. THAT is precisely the sort of realism I DON'T want added across the board. There is a difference, in my mind, between a "war comic" where I might expect that level of realism and "grittiness", and a superhero comic that happens to have a storyline dealing with some big SF-type war. Adding that sort of grim realism does not, IMHO, automatically make everything better.

For instance, I greatly enjoyed the original Star Wars trilogy. That was a war, and yet I don't think it would have benefitted from adding up-close suffering and nastiness.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 06-27-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #18
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
You missed the point. Of course all these people running around in spandex and knocking down walls, and constantly getting killed and coming back, isn't realistic. But if you stray completely away from realism, then you're going to suck.

There's very little human factor or realism in the Green Lantern franchise now. That's why it sucks.
no, I actually GET the point; I know that alot of fans equate "human issues" to "good storytelling", but the problem there is that they would have the book breakdown between the "fantastic element" & the "emotional/human content" come to a 30/70 (or greater) split........which is just ridiculous.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 06-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #19
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
^^^ = proof U dont play many video games, not in the current era atleast........

Tazer

Quote:
Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #20
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Hell yeah! Realism is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #21
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Hell yeah! Realism is good.
By which you mean, not realism exactly, but more blood, guts, and darkness.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 06-27-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #22
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The most fantastic story needs to be be grounded in reality, and at bottom it needs to be about people. Funny books tend to get too far away from that.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #23
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I'm not a fan or grim and gritty, but I'm a fan of noir. There's a difference.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #24
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Quote:
To be honest, not entirely. When I say realistic, I mean more grounded and more plausible. For books like Batman I certainly want more blood guts and darkness, but with GL or Superman I'd like them not to get to fantastical, more grounded and believable but not quite dark. Dark is my personal preference but it's not everybody's. A lot of people however like more grounded and believable stuff, but there should still be some comics aimed at more unrealistic fans, but the vast majority of everything should be more realistic. The Flash would also be a good book in a realistic style, it could really dig a science route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #25
Space Cop
The Dandy

I don't like Marvel because I thought they were too human. I want the equivalent of Greek gods and goddesses. I have enough reality in my real life. When I open a comic, I do not want realism. In fact, I'd prefer if we were closer to Silver Age power levels and less human drama. There are exceptions (I love some Alan Moore), but overall when it comes to the main super titles, I want as far away from realism as can be maintained without drifting into surrealism or blatantly contradicting its own continuity. Apart from that, reality bites.

Quote:
I'm not a fan or grim and gritty, but I'm a fan of noir. There's a difference.
So read Raymond Chandler.