Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 07-04-2021, 04:09 AM   #3751
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^You're kind of conflicted on that, right? Because you think The Exorcist is really good, but it also really disturbs you. Unless I remember wrongly.

Yeah, in a nutshell. I acknowledge it as the scariest movie of all time, to the point where I had to start child counseling. I could probably sit through it with a friend, but right now at this point in my life I don't want that kind of shit running around in my head. Got enough real life struggles going on as it is.

Every now and again she pops up in my dreams and sometimes I conquer her by taking her powers away from her and stripping her horror down to an unruly attention seeking child, which I ignore.

One thing I love are all the farces of particular scenes, like when scary movie re-did the bedroom scene. I laughed my ass off the first time I saw that.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #3752
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
. . . Every now and again she pops up in my dreams and sometimes I conquer her by taking her powers away from her and stripping her horror down to an unruly attention seeking child, which I ignore . . .
That’s lucid dreaming. Supposedly only about 10% of people can shape their dreams like that. My mother says she can. The closest I get is sometimes thinking “this is too bizarre to be real, must be a dream” and then I wake up.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:57 PM   #3753
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Watched the trailer for Halloween Kills last night. They're clearly leaning more heavily into the supernatural aspects of the franchise (which admittedly were hinted at even in the '78 original but weren't really pushed very heavily until the Cult of Thorn's full reveal in 6). Myers being supernatural in his regeneration and immortality has always been there, we just keep forgetting for how long and to what extreme, so Kills reminding us is rather appropriate.

It's stunning how this 40-year cycle is happening again (78-18, 81-21) and everything is in twos (78-81, 78-18, 18-21). I'm cautiously optimistic for a good viewing.

edit -- should have posted this in the Horror thread, but now I'm lazy and leaving this here
I agree, but I read #1 as still in the real world. It stretches reality, but so does it when you hear how much it took to kill Rasputin. As for Dr. Lumis' words about pure evil, I take that like people who say "Hitler wasn't a man, he was a monster, evil incarnate." Even if he does literally mean it (in which case, why would he think a .38 is going to do the job), you can just think he's obsessed and overboard.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-07-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:59 AM   #3754
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I was actually talking to a coworker about this, detailing how many bullets Myers takes in the first film and then the second, both of which take place the same night within a span of mere hours. And that's without factoring in the fiery death. He was shaking his head in amused disbelief. It's just one of those things you roll with in the genre.

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:12 AM   #3755
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I used to have many lucid dreams but I haven't had one for years now.

They didn't involve control over the perceptions, but an awareness that I was in a dream.

Usually I would become lucid upon realizing that the scenario was too absurd to really be happening. For example, I'd be interacting with someone and realize that the person had died long ago.

I think I stopped having them because I can't stay asleep for more than three and a half hours at a stretch now. I used to have them in the early morning, at the end of a long sleep.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-07-2021 at 01:21 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:33 AM   #3756
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I used to have many lucid dreams but I haven't had one for years now.

They didn't involve control over the perceptions, but an awareness that I was in a dream.

Usually I would become lucid upon realizing that the scenario was too absurd to really be happening. For example, I'd be interacting with someone and realize that the person had died long ago.

I think I stopped having them because I can't stay asleep for more than three and a half hours at a stretch now. I used to have them in the early morning, at the end of a long sleep.
Yeah, that's the level of my lucid dreaming too, but I don't remember as many dream as I used to. Not sure if that's an age thing or because I take sleeping pills. The ones I usually do remember are when I take a nap or when I fall back to sleep for an hour or so in the early morning.

But my mother says she can actually turn a nightmare positive.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:39 AM   #3757
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Thing is, I wouldn't always wake up soon. Sometimes the lucidity would continue for a long time, and I would go from one dreaming scenario to another. One morning I had eight false awakenings, one after another. That rattled the hell out of me.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-07-2021 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:32 AM   #3758
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I actually became aware of how dreaming scenarios change. You'll be in a particular situation for a while, then everything will go dark for a few seconds, then another scenario will appear.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #3759
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

I have lucid dreams from time to time, as well. Usually it's nothing too special -- just altering a situation to my advantage, or something small like that -- but sometimes it's more. A few weeks ago I had one where I actually made the sun explode, and then I pulled myself into an alternate universe and continued the dream for a while, spending time with a few friends and family members who have passed away.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:05 AM   #3760
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Shadow of the Vampire (2000)

"Our battle, our struggle, is to create art. Our weapon is the moving picture. Because we have the moving picture, our paintings will grow and recede; our poetry will be shadows that lengthen and conceal; our light will play across living faces that laugh and agonize; and our music will linger and finally overwhelm, because it will have a context as certain as the grave. We are scientists engaged in the creation of memory... but our memory will neither blur nor fade."

"Dracula hasn't had servants in 400 years and then a man comes to his ancestral home, and he must convince him that he... that he is like the man. He has to feed him, when he himself hasn't eaten food in centuries. Can he even remember how to buy bread? How to select cheese and wine? And then he remembers the rest of it. How to prepare a meal, how to make a bed. He remembers his first glory, his armies, his retainers, and what he is reduced to. The loneliest part of the book comes... when the man accidentally sees Dracula setting his table."

An alternate retelling of the creation of the silent classic Nosferatu, viewed for its 21st anniversary (you need to be 21 to drink blood in the US).

Very weird but actually rather good. Dafoe was great as Schreck/Orlock, and Malkovich was very convincing as Murnau. I really did like seeing the old trains, planes, and cars as these modern antiques, seeing the older footage, just these beautiful flashbacks to different days.

Right before watching this, me and my dad watched a mini-doc on the Battle of Belleau Wood, which cemented the USMC as a significant fighting force in World War I, wherein the earned the nicknamed "Devil Dogs" from the Germans.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:14 AM   #3761
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Kind of hyped for chucky series this October after the recent trailer

Thank you fuck you bye
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #3762
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Shadow of the Vampire (2000) . . .
I liked that movie a lot but haven't picked it up yet to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Kind of hyped for Chucky series this October after the recent trailer
I'll probably wait until it's done, but I like that Dourif and Tilly are in it. Always leery about basing a show around a slasher. It seems like you either have to fall into the trap of repeating the formula of slasher movies (a new set of victims to be knocked off) in a shorter format or severely rewrite the premise.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #3763
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post

I'll probably wait until it's done, but I like that Dourif and Tilly are in it. Always leery about basing a show around a slasher. It seems like you either have to fall into the trap of repeating the formula of slasher movies (a new set of victims to be knocked off) in a shorter format or severely rewrite the premise.
I wish it was on amc because they can get away with a lot more. I mean shit look at twd. Syfy and usa seem like odd stations for it. Ill still watch

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 07-31-2021, 03:49 PM   #3764
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I just saw the trailer for the Chucky tv show. Not gonna lie I'm kind of interested in seeing it.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:50 AM   #3765
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Last night, I finished this Netflix trilogy called Fear Street (1994, 1978, and 1666 respectively). Really enjoyed it. I expected plastic acting and wasn't disappointed, but the spirit of the 80s was alive and well with the Puritanical value system in check. The best was the ending of 1666 when you find out *why* people were getting cursed and possessed and all the good stuff. Slasher films are alive and well!
Old 08-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #3766
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

So hokey but in a good way?
Old 08-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #3767
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I just saw the trailer for the Chucky tv show. Not gonna lie I'm kind of interested in seeing it.
Jennifer tilly is back also

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 08-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #3768
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Coworker of mine can vouch for Fear Street being pretty good.

Old 08-01-2021, 11:47 PM   #3769
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
So hokey but in a good way?
Quote:
Coworker of mine can vouch for Fear Street being pretty good.

Oh yes, it was absolutely good, exactly what you would expect from a F13 movie made in the 80s PLUS a cool story line. The film makers had absolutely no qualms about ripping off F13 to the point that the music was nearly identical in the 2nd movie, but what saves it is the common thread throughout all 3 and the killer payoff in the end. Plus they took certain nods from Stranger Things in the scope of using young characters joyfully and some of the kill scenes are so outrageous it made me laugh.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #3770
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Hellraiser: Judgement (2018)

"Jesus Wept"

Folks, I think we have a winner here.

Let's start with the negatives. Most people lost interest in this franchise years ago due to the overused formula of a separate story taking place, and then the Hell Priest (Pinhead) making a basic cameo at the end. Specifically for this film, no Christopher Young score. No Doug Bradley. It was made on a budget of $350,000. It did kind of follow the basic formula, but there were twists and turns that made it stand out.

The positives: the story is interwoven with Pinhead and his Cenobites. Though not as wordy as Doug Bradley, Paul Taylor actually did a fine job as Pinhead, so I have to give him credit for stepping in to fill some big shoes.His interpretation was more to the point. There is an angel in this film. Some severe distinctive butchery going on, not necessarily by the Cenobites. The overlaying story is damn interesting (reminiscent of Silence of the Lambs) and you definitely want to know the answer of the "whodunnit" scenario, which is given, again, with some major twists.The last 10 minutes changes the battlefield plans for everyone involved. There are even nods to the first and second film.

If you like the Hellraiser series, I think you will enjoy this one. I went in with lower than low expectations and was pleasantly surprised at how well this was pulled off. It did practically nothing at the box office, but that is rather irrelevant to the quality of the story and production.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #3771
Space Cop
The Dandy

^You're in the minority there if you see how fans rated it. I just looked it up and apparently gave it 2/5 stars on Netflix (which "I did not like" but short of "I hated it").

I do want to buy it, though. I'm only missing three of the movies to complete the series. When I do, I want to re-watch it.

That heaven-hell aspect was definitely different for the series and kind of interesting, but maybe too different. I don't think Barker thought of the Cenobites as that literally hell demons or that angels fit in his Hellraiser cosmology. It's kind of an interesting concept to add--which is why I want to re-watch it--but it seemed like it devolved into a Saw/Hostel movie.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-17-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #3772
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

/\ You know me; I always have a penchant for liking things the masses hate.
I've seen a couple of the Saw movies but none of the Hostel stuff, and I did not notice before that there was a bit of a Saw vibe in it.

But you gotta admit...those last 5 to 10 minutes of the movie were damn intriguing. Made it worth the watch for me.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:30 AM   #3773
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (2004)

"Did you ever consider the consequences of your actions?"

A very ambitious retelling of the classic story and also a partial retelling of the 1930s Bride of Frankenstein.

I think it was a little longer and more blown-up than it really needed to be. We do get a lot of coverage from the novel that a bunch of the adaptations never really cover (the Monster living in the woods and helping the family, the boy being murdered and an innocent girl being executed for it), but that draws out the film and makes it feel bloated at points.

Of course since people expect it we have to get the lab and how he breathes life into a stitched-together corpse, even though the novel makes a point never to show that so nobody can recreate Victor's mistakes. This is both a clever change from the classic and completely dragged out, because we have this birthing scene that just goes on and on and is slimy as hell. I get that it's a perversion of traditional birth but it didn't need to be so overdone.

I actually didn't mind Kenneth Branagh as Victor Frankenstein. Dude did a decent job directing and his acting was pretty good.

Zombie Elizabeth was just fucking bizarre.

De Niro was great as the Monster. Face only a mother could love (seriously, I think Jack Pierce would be proud of the work the makeup team did).

At some point I need to get back to the novel, finish the second half of it.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:08 AM   #3774
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
...But you gotta admit...those last 5 to 10 minutes of the movie were damn intriguing. Made it worth the watch for me.
Yeah, it's kind of an interesting twist and you need something different that far into the series.

Have you seen the one before it (the other one without Bradley)? Apparently, I liked that better because my Netflix rating was 3/5 stars.

Quote:
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (2004) . . . Of course since people expect it we have to get the lab and how he breathes life into a stitched-together corpse, even though the novel makes a point never to show that so nobody can recreate Victor's mistakes. This is both a clever change from the classic and completely dragged out, because we have this birthing scene that just goes on and on and is slimy as hell. I get that it's a perversion of traditional birth but it didn't need to be so overdone. . .
I don't remember specifically how long it was, but I like the kind of wet/birth approach.

I liked (not loved) the movie overall.

Quote:
. . . At some point I need to get back to the novel, finish the second half of it.
Oh, definitely. I'm surprised you were able to put it down. Worth the time. I found the Norton critical edition interesting.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-18-2021 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #3775
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

/\ Yes, I do remember seeing the other Non Bradley film and thinking it was a waste. I can't remember a thing about the story line other than I thought this particular Pinhead was a joke. It's been a long time since I saw it that one time.

Funny how you and I are almost polar opposites on the same 2 Hellraiser films. lol