The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 06-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #201
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Can you honestly sit there and say it isnt happening? You say you have no issue with it and seriously i want to ask you do straight white male lives matter? Because your seeing such characters phased out . Dont be a little boy and dodge the question . Ditch the baby booster seat sippy cub and bib. man up
There's no shortage of straight, white male characters, and I'm sorry that you feel threatened by the inclusion of characters from other groups. We've had similar discussions many times before.

Now I plan to return to the thread's topic. I'm increasingly excited about the show, as I am about Jade's inclusion on Stargirl.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #202
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
There's no shortage of straight, white male characters, and I'm sorry that you feel threatened by the inclusion of characters from other groups. We've had similar discussions many times before.

Now I plan to return to the thread's topic. I'm increasingly excited about the show, as I am about Jade's inclusion on Stargirl.
Whos threatened? If anyone is anything you hate yourself because your white and rather grow a pair of balls and stand up for yourself youve become a slave to the woke white people who are straight and are evil agenda

Thank you fuck you bye
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #203
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Did we actually get to see Alan Scott as an actual character in Smallville? I recall only some short flashbacks and images of the ring and battery. I thought that he was not one of the characters that actually appeared and had lines and everything. But it has been a while, so I could be misremembering.

And yeah, I've never been the hugest Alan Scott fan, either, despite enjoying his appearances with later GLs, and his role in the modern JSA comic.

The part that kind of grates on me about this situation is the revisionism...
We see most of the JSA in the episode during the flashback to the arrests that plays when Clark sees the old news reel, including Alan Scott behind bars with the ring on his hand. It's not a huge role, but it's there. Granted this is kinda like when Hal appeared on Arrow, but I'd argue it's much more than that, as we didn't even see Hal's face, while they clearly cast Alan Scott deliberately for close ups.

As for the revisionism and all that, I'd bet that most of the people talking about it don't even know the history of the character, and those who do are probably side stepping talk of the retcon to avoid needless banter on the subject.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #204
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

edit

Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 06-25-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #205
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Getting to know actor Jeremy Irvine. Here's a short interview.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #206
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Where they pretend that Alan is gay in the show because that's true to the comics (when really they did that in the comics because they were planning it for the show), or report that he was revealed to be gay years ago, when that was an alternate universe version that has nothing to do with the one they are clearly referencing from the comics. They aren't owning it as a deliberate change, but trying to pretend it was always this way.
There is some truth in that, but I don't believe that is entirely true. Alan has been gay since the New52 started, and I doubt (well, I know) this show wasn't planned way back then. I know someone is thinking, "Wait a minute! That wasn't the REAL Alan Scott, though."

To that I say, "Yes, it was." That was the Alan Scott DC was pushing as Alan Scott at the time (not Alan Scott b or Alan Scott c), and that's what really matters. What I also realize is that once you go down that path...it's like opening Pandora's Box, and there is no turning back.

Once there was a prominent version of Alan Scott that was gay (the main version for that time), I had a strong feeling Alan Scott was just going to be gay from that point on. I felt there was a good chance that it was only a matter of time before that attribute bled over into the more traditional version of the character, or the more traditional version was phased out for a gay version.

Straight Alan doesn't have a high enough profile to easily combat something like that. These characters change hands so much, all a creator has to think is, "Oh, this was the one that was gay, right? Well, let's incorporate that with what we're doing!" If someone else were to go against that and present Alan as straight (which, by that point, could even be perceived as somewhat risky), someone else would just come along and undo it...because, again, the precedent has been set.

So, for Alan, he's just gay now. He basically has been since New52. This show will just cement that further. And whatever else he'll be in will likely just cement it further and further. People want to give James Tynion points for gay Alan, but I don't think he really deserves any, because the character had already been gay. He was just working off of that.

Going along with this, it's my understanding that Mr. Terrific is gay on CW? I don't know for sure, because I don't watch that. If he is, he very well might eventually turn gay in comics and/or other stuff. It could just be a matter of time. The precedent has been set, and the straight version doesn't have the profile to securely combat that interpretation.

I'm not saying this is an occurrence that definitely happens whenever there is a version of a typically straight character that is gay, but it's something that doesn't surprise me when I see it.

Quote:
And yeah, I've never been the hugest Alan Scott fan, either, despite enjoying his appearances with later GLs, and his role in the modern JSA comic.
There aren't many people that will die on a hill for Alan Scott. I think a lot of fans like and respect him, but it only goes so far, and he isn't many people's favorite character. I guess that's why he's a 'safe' character to do this with, which also makes this progressive move...uh...not so progressive to me. Sure, Alan has huge historical value, but beyond that, he's a pretty negligible character. Then again, I don't read a lot of JSA, All-Star Squadron, and things like that, so I'm probably not the best person to be passing that judgment on him, but that's how he kind of seems to me.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:08 AM   #207
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

The show is rumored to have found Sinestro:

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-green-la...-edmure-tully/
Old 07-01-2021, 02:56 AM   #208
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
The show is rumored to have found Sinestro:

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-green-la...-edmure-tully/
Honestly they should save sinestro last . Start with manhunters first

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 07-01-2021, 03:36 AM   #209
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Honestly they should save sinestro last . Start with manhunters first
There are rumors that the Manhunters are the primary villains of S1 with Sinestro's heel turn being shown at the end.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #210
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
There are rumors that the Manhunters are the primary villains of S1 with Sinestro's heel turn being shown at the end.
Im not going to believe the show will happen until i see it in production. They had the rock sign on for black Adam like 7 or 10 years ago and it just got started now with pre production. So casting dont mean shit .Apparently the batwoman s2 finale had its lowest raiting so with berlanti attached to gl like every cw show you have to wonder if people will drop money for hbo to tune in. Hbo is like what 30 bucks a month that not being the streaming service but the actual cable channel?

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 07-01-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:32 AM   #211
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Lets be honest does anyone have any faith this show will be good? Im being serious.._ Sure there on hbo but it wont matter because berlanti is attached. Same shit writing by same shit writer. Now if dc was serious about green lantern being good for a tv show on hbo get the people who write And produce the expanse. And if you haven't seen it watch it before shooting my idea down. I dont want this to be like the film where not only did i get excited for it i found excuses to defend it And boy do i regret that

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 07-06-2021 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #212
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Is guy going to have to change his name with a new pronoun now to please the current weirdos?

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 07-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #213
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm 95% sure this show will be woke trash. I'll try it because it's Green Lantern and I'd be lying if I said I won't, but I really doubt I'll have it in me to see this through if it turns out to be what I suspect it will be.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:22 PM   #214
Space Cop
The Dandy

I won't be trying it because I don't have or want HBO Max, but if I hear it's great and not just another millennial superhero show, I'll check it out when it hits blu ray.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:27 PM   #215
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Berlanti, et alia, have done mostly right by me, so I'm looking forward to this and have hopes that it will be good. Go back and read Berlanti and Guggenheim's original GL movie script; that thing was amazing. It wasn't until Johns and the Warner execs started fiddling with it and making poor decisions that it got altered into the mess it became.

Furthermore, Arrow was great for most of its run, Flash has been similarly consistent, and Legends of Tomorrow is fantastic. Sure Supergirl hit a heavy decline mid third season, and Batwoman was mostly dead on arrival, but those seem to be the outliers. Black Lightning was good, Superman & Lois is incredible, and Titans is absolutely phenomenal. I haven't watched Stargirl or Doom Patrol, yet, but that's just because I fell behind on my watch lists as I've gone back to college.

The track record shows that this GL series has a really good chance of being good, so yeah, I'm genuinely looking forward to it. Of course, if you get bent out of shape when anything woke-ish happens, then you're going to hate it (along with 99% of everything not geared specifically towards conservative audiences), but that's not a problem with the show's quality, it's just a problem with the viewer being too stubborn to even tolerate realistic opposing views in their lives.

And really, if that's how you judge things -- solely upon your own beliefs with no consideration for other representations -- then your opinion is crap anyway. Go cry in a pillow or something, because no one else cares about what you have to say.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:46 PM   #216
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Doom Patrol is woke as fuck, and that show is fantastic. It is legit good and the woke stuff is just part of it. Most of these other shows are just terrible and the woke crap is the terrible tasting icing on an already awful cake. The only show the CW has done that's NOT the complete drizzling shitz is Superman and Lois. How that show got made in today's climate of lunatics and talentless hacks running things is beyond me, but there it is, an excellent show. The problem is that now the entertainment industry, specifically tv, movie and comic books, are garbage product made by garbage people FOR garbage people that dont even support the stuff they said they wanted because most of them dont have any money. It's a very odd time we are living in and we are seeing it reflected in art.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:02 PM   #217
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah, the "woke" thing (and I only probably learned that term in the past year) is only a part of it. I can definitely enjoy stuff that doesn't agree with my politics/religion/philosophy. Heck, I love horror and 90%+ of that (or at least what I like in it) comes from a left-wing or counter-culture viewpoint.

Honestly, I just don't like modern TV. All my favorite shows (with the exception of The Simpsons) are from the 1960s to the 1980s. The majority of what I watch that is currently still going is retro (Stranger Things), period piece (The Crown and Victoria), wrestling, or documentary (like The Toys That Made Us).

I far and away prefer episodic TV to season-long continuity and big finales. I don't really like dark or edgy stuff in my TV (though I paradoxically often love it in film). I don't like fast cutting. I just don't have a modern TV sensibility. But as I've said before, if others dig it, cool.

Realistically, the only way I would've even been to the point of considering HBO Max is if this had been a series based on Hard Traveling Heroes actually set in the 70s. That, I would've been all over (though I doubt it would be done well anyway).

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-02-2021 at 03:07 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #218
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I got off cable a couple of years ago and started getting these streaming services one by one. Some are free and others I pay for. Im currently at 7 services I pay for. While I'm still spending a small fraction of what I did on cable ($300+ a year as opposed to the $2,100 a year I spent on direct tv), I'm finding I'm not even watching much of the streaming services. I have the money. Just no interest due to the quality of the shows and movies coming out. I find hours of entertainment out of youtube which is free, and all these movies and tv shows at my fingertips I cant be bothered to sit through. This fall some of my annual subscriptions come due and In going to dump some of them and try to get it down to 4 that I pay for again.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:58 PM   #219
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Also, The Toys That Made Us is fantastic!
Old 08-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #220
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I got off cable a couple of years ago and started getting these streaming services one by one. Some are free and others I pay for. Im currently at 7 services I pay for. While I'm still spending a small fraction of what I did on cable ($300+ a year as opposed to the $2,100 a year I spent on direct tv), I'm finding I'm not even watching much of the streaming services. I have the money. Just no interest due to the quality of the shows and movies coming out. I find hours of entertainment out of youtube which is free, and all these movies and tv shows at my fingertips I cant be bothered to sit through. This fall some of my annual subscriptions come due and In going to dump some of them and try to get it down to 4 that I pay for again.
If you want i can send you a site i use. I got rid of cable 6 years ago ditched netflix and disneyplus. Also scarlet johanson is suing Disney for putting black widow on Disney plus at a premium . I guess her contract was for theater release only. Even Emma stone is considering a suit for curella. Feigie isnt happy either about black widow on Disney plus and theres talk of infighting with the guy who replaced iger. Its going to be interesting to see how these services affect future films. Also i believe Christopher nolan left wb because wb announced there putting all there entire film slate on hbo max. Thats going yo be a huge hit for director and actor box office pay

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 08-01-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #221
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

I don't know if I will watch the Green Lantern show. Probably not, for a couple reasons:

a) I don't watch television anymore. Or streaming, or whatever. I don't even have it. I'm perfectly happy with Youtube.

b) I find myself largely uninterested in super hero television and movie adaptations. After the DCAU ended, I haven't been that into any of them, and that was a LONG time ago. That isn't to say all of them have been bad, they're just not something I follow with a lot of passion.

c) If I'm being REALLY honest, I'm not that into Green Lantern. Well, it's not that I think it's bad...I just think it's usually bad. I think it's a cool idea, I just think the stories are typically underwhelming and the idea is a little underdeveloped for what it could be. I guess it's a cool idea that doesn't really meet its potential, imo. Lots of dumb or unremarkable villains, too. I can probably count the ones I think are good on one hand...maybe not even using all fingers.
When they started making new Earth Lanterns about every month or so I think I had finally had enough of it.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 08-02-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #222
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
...b) I find myself largely uninterested in super hero television and movie adaptations. . .
I'm pretty close to that. I do watch most of the comic book movies eventually, but I mostly wait until they hit Netflix (mail). I don't really get excited for any of the stuff anymore.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:06 AM   #223
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I'm 95% sure this show will be woke trash. I'll try it because it's Green Lantern and I'd be lying if I said I won't, but I really doubt I'll have it in me to see this through if it turns out to be what I suspect it will be.
easy, just youTube the f@ck out of all the cool sh!t (GL's making sh!t and/or using their rings) and leave everything else on the cutting room floor

IonFan says

Quote:
MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:23 AM   #224
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
easy, just youTube the f@ck out of all the cool sh!t (GL's making sh!t and/or using their rings) and leave everything else on the cutting room floor

Wow, no wonder a hack like Geoff Johns was so popular with people like you.
You actively dislike actual stories to the point of just looking at the pictures.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #225
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
Wow, no wonder a hack like Geoff Johns was so popular with people like you.
You actively dislike actual stories to the point of just looking at the pictures.
lol well i do "read" comics so..............

IonFan says

Quote:
MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote