The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 06-11-2021, 06:31 AM   #8976
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

It has a decent premise and a decent cast, but it never really lands with any of its humor. It's not bad enough to say I wasted my time with it, but not good enough for me to tell anyone else to watch it either.

This ridiculous stop motion adventure through hell felt more like a series of skits with a thin plot present merely for the sake of holding them all together. That said, it does land some solid laughs, albeit with pretty juvenile humor. It's good enough to just sit back enjoy, but doesn't do nearly as much as the premise could have allowed.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #8977
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Rifftax:] Julie and Jack (2003/2015)

"Sex isn't the only thing I care about. It's just that I've always imagined myself falling in love with someone who's alive. I know that may sound strange to you, but it's just the way I was brought up. "

From the director of Birdemic (but earlier; his 1st film actually). Pretty funny riff. Free on Tubi.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-12-2021 at 01:05 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:19 AM   #8978
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Great cast, but merely a decent film. It felt like it would have worked better as a limited series with each episode being dedicated to a different presidency. It would've been nice to see the relationship each president seemed to have with the titular character, rather than just being left to infer such from the short scenes they share. The Kennedys and Reagans, in particular, seemed to be very close to him but we barely see them interact. Maybe someday someone will come along and give this story the detail it deserves on film. As it stands, it's only really noteworthy for its cast -- which really can't be overstated.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #8979
Space Cop
The Dandy

Renaissance (2005)

"Everything has its price, Captain. You cash in or you pay out."

A near-future Paris murder mystery done in motion-capture 3D animation but only in black-and-white that gave it a more traditional, rotoscoping feel.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-12-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:34 AM   #8980
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The Disaster Artist (2017)

"Road trip!"

An aspiring actor encounters a man who is very unusual but who encourages him to follow his dreams, and the two agree to make a film together. Despite significant hardship they complete their project and although it is a commercial and critical failure, it gains a cult status and is beloved worldwide.

Holy shit, James Franco literally became Wiseau in this. The whole mystery of who Wiseau really was, how much money he had, and more are something (I checked Wikipedia, he's actually 65 now and from Poland, but his wealth is not entirely of known origins, at least how he financed the film), but damn if they didn't nail the depictions to a T. Franco really earned his credit here.

Dunno if I want to actually watch The Room, though.

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:23 AM   #8981
Space Cop
The Dandy

Watched two movies tonight that turned 40. The first (with my folks) was:

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

"Good God!
-Yes, that's what the Hebrews thought."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
. . . Dunno if I want to actually watch The Room, though.
I watched The Room (from mail Netflix) before Disaster Artist came out. About 15 minutes in I thought I'd give up. By the half hour mark, I was so enamored I knew I'd own it one day, which I now do as well as the audio file of the Rifftrax for it.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:49 AM   #8982
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I don't know if I have the degree of intestinal fortitude that you have in order to watch The Room. I heard it tears lovers apart.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:04 AM   #8983
Space Cop
The Dandy

The other 40th anniversary was

Clash of the Titans (1981)

"Find, and fulfill your destiny!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
I don't know if I have the degree of intestinal fortitude that you have in order to watch The Room. I heard it tears lovers apart.
Indeed. I have a bit of a thing about watching the best-worst movies. I kind of turned on a friend to doing the same by "making" him watch Samurai Cop and Miami Connection (I think he had already seen The Room).
Old 06-13-2021, 06:10 AM   #8984
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

A surreal love story that blurs the lines of what's real and what's imagined.
Generally formulaic but with a time bending twist and noir-like narration.
It's an interesting movie, but I'm not entirely sure if I liked it or not.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:51 AM   #8985
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
The other 40th anniversary was

Clash of the Titans (1981)

"Find, and fulfill your destiny!"

Whenever somebody says "Kraken" it's this version I think of. I remember watching it at the movie theaters with my dad. Good times.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #8986
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Whenever somebody says "Kraken" it's this version I think of. I remember watching it at the movie theaters with my dad. Good times.
Almost definitely my mother took me to see it (likely at a drive-in), but since I would have not yet been two, I don’t remember the first time. Still love it even though the mythology (like said Krakken of Scandinavian folk tales) is out of whack.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-13-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #8987
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

/\ When they did the remake and the Kraken was just a....large octopus, I felt kind of let down.
Old 06-13-2021, 07:33 PM   #8988
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
/\ When they did the remake and the Kraken was just a....large octopus, I felt kind of let down.
A lot of that movie was a letdown. I also thought them going through the junk and tossing aside Bubo was a kick in the balls to the old-school fans.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:51 AM   #8989
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

"I won't be back."

I had to watch it again just to make sure I was right about Genisys, and I was, although I think DF took a pointer or two from G in the fact that they threw away the entire John Connor story and set it up anew. And a grizzled Linda Hamilton is not my cup of tea. Plus, "Pops" is a whole lot better than "Carl". Still, there is merit to this movie; obviously the 2 character reunion and the new blood. Action scenes as always are hella cool, and the flashbacks of the future are pretty cool as well. These new "Octopus" terminators seen during Grace's flashback to when she was saving the commander are down right scary.

But still, I needed more optimism for such a sad story of death and destruction, and Genisys provided that for me in a better way. So, if we ever see pops and crew again, I will be mighty pleased.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #8990
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Darkside of the ring ultimate warrior and grizzly smith. The grizzly smith episode is very disgusting and grizzly smith is a piece of shit glad hes dead. Im surprised how long his predatory behavior was hush hush for decades

Thank you fuck you bye
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #8991
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Terminator: Dark Fate (2019) . . . I had to watch it again just to make sure I was right about Genisys, and I was, although I think DF took a pointer or two from G in the fact that they threw away the entire John Connor story and set it up anew . . .
The problem I have with that isnít so much that thereís a new threat or the shift focussed as that for 4 films we were told our only hope (and indeed the winner) of the war against the robots is John. Now (with DF particularly), itís like ďnah, thatís not important, hereís whatís important.Ē It retroactively devalues the previous movies.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:26 PM   #8992
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
The problem I have with that isnít so much that thereís a new threat or the shift focussed as that for 4 films we were told our only hope (and indeed the winner) of the war against the robots is John. Now (with DF particularly), itís like ďnah, thatís not important, hereís whatís important.Ē It retroactively devalues the previous movies.

The one question that came to my mind was: if Sarah and John took out skynet, and some how down the road this Legion group appeared, why are there still terminators? Was Legion aware of Skynet's future plans for a robot that never existed in their timeliness? I don't think that was ever explained properly, or maybe I missed it.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:35 AM   #8993
Space Cop
The Dandy

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

"For God and King Richard!"

30 years old today and I remember my grandparents taking me to see it that summer and then becoming obsessed with the movie and with Robin Hood mythos in general.

Quote:
The one question that came to my mind was: if Sarah and John took out skynet, and some how down the road this Legion group appeared, why are there still terminators? Was Legion aware of Skynet's future plans for a robot that never existed in their timeliness? I don't think that was ever explained properly, or maybe I missed it.
I don't think it is explained. You could take that view (somehow they're aware of previous incursions or something) or that it's a kind of fate (*cough*) that machines will rise and eventually develop killers. I guess there's a kind of logic that said robot killers would take the form of their prey.

You bring up a counterpoint to my argument. While the new timeline does devalue John and his work, presumably it also means the "happy ending" of T2 was actually successful; i.e., they did completely stop Skynet.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:39 AM   #8994
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Fun yet emotional musical with similar beats as Hamilton (unsurprising given that Lin Manuel Miranda wrote them both) but a story that's poignantly modern. I really enjoyed some of the added nods to LMM's more popular work, despite this one's stage musical pre-dating it. It was just enough of a wink and a nod to let you appreciate it without diminishing the film's own source, and the post credit scene was just icing. I think musical fans will really like it, but unlike Hamilton I don't imagine it it'll win anyone over to the genre who isn't already here.

Quote:
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
30 years old today and I remember my grandparents taking me to see it that summer and then becoming obsessed with the movie and with Robin Hood mythos in general.
Out of curiosity, what did you think of Ridley Scott's Robin Hood from 2010?
Old 06-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #8995
Space Cop
The Dandy

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)

"I've always found your ignorance quite amusing."

Watched for 20th anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
. . . Out of curiosity, what did you think of Ridley Scott's Robin Hood from 2010?
I have it in my collection. I can't recall if I've seen it more than once yet, but I remember liking it. It's not my favorite, but it was decent and the look of it feels more authentic to the Medieval setting than all the famous ones.

I'm contemplating watching the other RHs I own (four more of them), but it might be a bit because I pretty much have at least one movie a day planned out for a week and a half.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:02 AM   #8996
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Quote:
I have it in my collection. I can't recall if I've seen it more than once yet, but I remember liking it. It's not my favorite, but it was decent and the look of it feels more authentic to the Medieval setting than all the famous ones.

I'm contemplating watching the other RHs I own (four more of them), but it might be a bit because I pretty much have at least one movie a day planned out for a week and a half.
It's probably my favorite version, honestly, but I've met a lot of people that disliked or even hated it. Those who really like Prince of Thieves seem especially likely to have hated it in my experience, but you mentioned your obsession with Robin Hood in general so I was just curious. I too own several versions of Robin Hood -- from Errol Flynn to Taron Egerton -- but yeah.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:17 AM   #8997
Space Cop
The Dandy

Green Lantern (2011)

"Did you break it already?"

Tenth anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
It's probably my favorite version, honestly, but I've met a lot of people that disliked or even hated it. Those who really like Prince of Thieves seem especially likely to have hated it in my experience, but you mentioned your obsession with Robin Hood in general so I was just curious. I too own several versions of Robin Hood -- from Errol Flynn to Taron Egerton -- but yeah.
Flynn has probably become my favorite if only for that final sword fight.

I'd need to re-watch the Scott version to rank it in comparison. It's possible it would outrank PoT for me.

I noticed the other day that PoT was much more over-the-top than I remembered it. That's not bad, but it's not exactly a serious drama either. They have those weird fishbowl closeups and Rickman really hams it up (in a fun way, but very hammy).

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-17-2021 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:19 AM   #8998
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

If you thought the Sharknado films were bad, try watching Clownado. It has Linnea Quigley, too.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:58 AM   #8999
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Loki episode 2 . Shits wild

Thank you fuck you bye
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:12 AM   #9000
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Rifftrax Live:] Jack the Giant Killer (1962/2012)

"So nothing is 2 minus 2 and 3 minus 3.
-And the number of critics who liked the Green Lantern movie."

Didn't realize when I picked this from Tubi on the anniversary of the GL movie that it would have a joke at that movie's expense.