The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 09-26-2021, 02:26 AM   #9301
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

"I suppose you are just as scared as the rest of us.
-In a different way, perhaps. I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason."

Watched it with my family for its 70th anniversary. I grew up with this because it's a favorite of my mother's and we still love it.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-03-2021 at 03:13 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:37 AM   #9302
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Masters of the Universe (1987)

Truth be told, I hated Orco in the Filmation series. I mean, granted, the Filmation show was a lot more kid friendly that Transformers or G.I. Joe, but he was like the pest in school you wanted to bitch slap into silence. So, I was really happy when I found out he would not be in the movie. And then I saw his replacement...and was horrified yet again.

But, this is a guilty pleasure and I enjoy it for nothing more than Frank Langella's Skeletor, who seemed to be the only actor immersed in his role joyfully. Everyone else was like a card board cut out (although Duncan had his moments). It's moments like this when you truly appreciate the tag #skeletorislove. It would have been nice to see a sequel to this movie set specifically on Eternia (or Eternos as they called it in this movie) but I guess that got scrapped in favor of another Dolph movie called Cyborg.

So I take it for what it is...a fail to be sure, but a fun fail. And what was that at the end of the movie? Perhaps the first end credits scene in cinematic history? Something I need to look up.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:12 AM   #9303
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

/\ I was incorrect. First movie ever made with a post credits scene was The Silencers from 1966.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:11 PM   #9304
Space Cop
The Dandy

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988)

"Who are you calling a chump, chimp?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Masters of the Universe (1987)…Truth be told, I hated Orco in the Filmation series. I mean, granted, the Filmation show was a lot more kid friendly that Transformers or G.I. Joe, but he was like the pest in school you wanted to bitch slap into silence. So, I was really happy when I found out he would not be in the movie. And then I saw his replacement...and was horrified yet again . . . But, this is a guilty pleasure and I enjoy it for nothing more than Frank Langella's Skeletor . . . So I take it for what it is; a fail to be sure, but a fun fail. And what was that at the end of the movie? . . .
As a big MotU kid (7 going on 8) I was so excited to see that movie in theater. As I grew up a bit, I hated how different it was. Then, I came to really love it for its own reasons.

As to Orko, they could’ve included him and just not had him levitate (or levitate once to proove he can then walk with a long robe). Or they could’ve skipped him. But Barty is an accomplished actor with a charm of his own. He wasn’t given a lot to work with in Gwildor, but he has a pretty good alien look.

Quote:
/\ I was incorrect. First movie ever made with a post credits scene was The Silencers from 1966.
Good to know.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-27-2021 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:33 PM   #9305
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
As to Orko, they could’ve included him and just not had him levitate (or levitate once to proove he can then walk with a long robe). Or they could’ve skipped him. But Barty is an accomplished actor with a charm of his own. He wasn’t given a lot to work with in Gwildor, but he has a pretty good alien look.

I would have been happy with *no* Orco or Gwildor type character. Throw Man-E-Faces in there instead! I feel the exact same way about Bumblebee. Overused, over exposed, and too kid friendly (although his character in the Netflix 3 part WFC show did give him a certain level of cool he never had before, so props to that.)

One other thing I wasn't crazy about in the 1987 MOTU film was He-Man using a gun. Uncool. But, given the time period, it was what it was.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:36 PM   #9306
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Masters of the Universe (1987)

Truth be told, I hated Orco in the Filmation series. I mean, granted, the Filmation show was a lot more kid friendly that Transformers or G.I. Joe, but he was like the pest in school you wanted to bitch slap into silence. So, I was really happy when I found out he would not be in the movie. And then I saw his replacement...and was horrified yet again.

But, this is a guilty pleasure and I enjoy it for nothing more than Frank Langella's Skeletor, who seemed to be the only actor immersed in his role joyfully. Everyone else was like a card board cut out (although Duncan had his moments). It's moments like this when you truly appreciate the tag #skeletorislove. It would have been nice to see a sequel to this movie set specifically on Eternia (or Eternos as they called it in this movie) but I guess that got scrapped in favor of another Dolph movie called Cyborg.

So I take it for what it is...a fail to be sure, but a fun fail. And what was that at the end of the movie? Perhaps the first end credits scene in cinematic history? Something I need to look up.
I tried getting into the old animation and i just cant get into it. Maybe its a generation thing For me

Thank you fuck you bye
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:39 PM   #9307
Space Cop
The Dandy

Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941)

"The wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules, the stamina of Atlas, the power of Zeus, the great courage of Achilles and the speed of Mercury. You must never call upon this power except in the service of right."

Another serial series a friend lent me. Really liked this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
I tried getting into the old animation and i just cant get into it. Maybe its a generation thing For me
Yeah, I think I've only heard once or twice of people who were too young or too old for He-Man still be fans of it. There are kids shows before my time I dig though (like Astro Boy and Speedracer).

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-27-2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #9308
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Yeah, I think I've only heard once or twice of people who were too young or too old for He-Man still be fans of it. There are kids shows before my time I dig though (like Astro Boy and Speedracer).
See i grew up on a lot of sindication shows like tmnt real ghostbusters Brady bunch ect fox kids as well as batman tas . I never cared For motu or even thundercats and recently i tried getting into them but they dont click with me

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 09-27-2021, 11:25 PM   #9309
Space Cop
The Dandy

Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie (2014)

"Even my dreams are low budget."

Pound for pound not as good as the Youtube videos, but several parts made me LOL. I do love that he managed to get suitmation kaiju/mech with models.

Old 09-28-2021, 03:47 AM   #9310
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

Tazz, if you want to give it another shot, try the 200X series, which in my humble opinion, has been the BEST MOTU show to date. It ran for a decent number of episodes, but was killed off too quick. Most of the designs were done by the Four Horsemen, and there is an ongoing story arc that is 100 times better than the shit I watched in the 80s.

If you need a link let me know.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:55 AM   #9311
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Man Who Laughs (1928)

"A king made me a clown! A queen made me a Peer! But first, God made me a man!"

Shared with my folks, one of which had seen this classic adaptation of Hugo's novel.

Quote:
Tazz, if you want to give it another shot, try the 200X series, which in my humble opinion, has been the BEST MOTU show to date. It ran for a decent number of episodes, but was killed off too quick. Most of the designs were done by the Four Horsemen, and there is an ongoing story arc that is 100 times better than the shit I watched in the 80s. . .
I echo the sentiment if not the personal rating (just because Filmation has a nostalgia factor that knock it over the top). The Mike Young cartoon has a much tighter and deeper story.

Old 09-28-2021, 04:06 AM   #9312
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. (1977)

Born and raised on this movie and Baker Era Doctor Who, it very well defined a generation, set new standards in movie making, and George Lucas got majorly ripped off by Kenner.

So many memorable scenes, I don't even know where to start, but it's good to come back to the original that started this monumental part of life is somehow built into the awareness of practically every person on the planet.

In hindsight, there is one thing I could never let go of as far as complaints go...and that is Darth Vader not recognizing his own daughter through the force as she was held captive (not once but twice) by the empire. Yes, I get it...Lucas had just come off of the 77 movie, he had no idea where the story was going, and it wasn't revealed until ROTJ IN 1983. But I do think Lucas could have maybe thrown in a couple extra "non-biggie" lines when he re-did the the OT anyways. Like, in ANH, Vader could have walked away from the interrogation scene musing to himself how Leia's resistance to the mind probe was so strong "it was as if she was guided by the Force". Or in ESB, Vader could have had flashes of Padme and seen the likeness in Leia while in the Bespin freeze chamber.
I dunno exactly what could have happened, im just throwing out ideas here, but the point is, although she was not as strong with the Force as Luke, she still had untapped Force attributes that should have been recognized by either the Jedi or Sith since they are 2 sides of the same coin. Especially if one of those figures was Big Daddy.
Bitchfest over, still one of the greatest movies of all time, and I am proud to be part of the generation that was alive when this entire tapestry of story telling became a bombastic part of every day life.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:28 AM   #9313
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. (1977)
…In hindsight, there is one thing I could never let go of as far as complaints go and that is Darth Vader not recognizing his own daughter through the force as she was held captive (not once but twice) by the empire. Yes, I get it...Lucas had just come off of the 77 movie, he had no idea where the story was going, and it wasn't revealed until ROTJ IN 1983. But I do think Lucas could have maybe thrown in a couple extra "non-biggie" lines when he re-did the the OT anyways. Like, in ANH, Vader could have walked away from the interrogation scene musing to himself how Leia's resistance to the mind probe was so strong "it was as if she was guided by the Force". Or in ESB, Vader could have had flashes of Padme and seen the likeness in Leia while in the Bespin freeze chamber. . .
Well, he believed there was only one child and since she wasn’t trained/awakened, she’d probably register as no better than force sensitive. From his perspective, she could just be another (apparently from Alderan aristocracy) one that could be a Jedi if she was ever trained and that would just be another reason to execute her when Tarkin’s done. Just a guess.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-03-2021 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:55 AM   #9314
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Well, he believed there was only one child and since she wasn’t trained/awakened, she’d probably register as no better than force sensitive. From his perspective, she could just be another (apparently from Alderan aristocracy) one that could be a Jedi if she was ever trained and that would just be another reason to execute her when Tarkin’s done. Just a guess.

I could technically buy that if not for 2 things: Leia had Padme written all over her, and even though she was "the daughter" of Bail Organa, somehow the Jedi/Sith mysticism should have tipped him off to something, even some tiny fragment that made Anakin feel like there was something directly different about her. I won't even go down the medichlorian route.

The other thing is that, in one of the comics considered canon, Vader hired Fett to do some digging on Tatooine where Fett ran into Luke at Obi-Wan's hut and confirmed his identity. Fett came back to Vader, told him what he found out, then exited with his payment. After he left, Vader took such a shit fit he blew the window out of a Star Destroyer in such a rage and set goals to dethrone Palpatine. This supposedly happened between IV and V. The only thing I can't remember is if it was pre or post Disney.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #9315
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I could technically buy that if not for 2 things: Leia had Padme written all over her, and even though she was "the daughter" of Bail Organa, somehow the Jedi/Sith mysticism should have tipped him off to something, even some tiny fragment that made Anakin feel like there was something directly different about her. I won't even go down the medichlorian route...
Who is this Padme? I don't remember any such name from the three Star Wars films. Oh, you must mean that unnamed birth mother of Leia's that she clearly knew long enough to form memories of and have multiple interactions leading her to have an impression of her as "a sad woman."

But seriously, if you try to reconcile the trilogy and the prequels, this is only one of several continuity issues and it's not even the worst. There was a good spoof (it might have been one of the Nick Lang ones) where Obi Wan stops during his remembering scene with Luke and explains all the ways it's not true (Leia's memory, Anakin's saber etc.). I can't find it now, but it was really funny.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-03-2021 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #9316
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Who is this Padme? I don't remember any such name from the three Star Wars films. Oh, you must mean that unnamed birth mother of Leia's that she clearly knew long enough to form memories of and have multiple interactions leading her to have an impression of her as "a sad woman."

But seriously, if you try to reconcile the trilogy and the prequels, this is only one of several continuity issues and it's not even the worst. There was a good spoof (it might have been one of the Nick Lang ones) where Obi Wan stops during his remembering scene with Luke and explains all the ways it's not true (Leia's memory, Anakin's saber etc.). I can't find it now, but it was really funny.

HAR HAR HAR re: Padme.

But yes, I do wholly agree with you about the inconsistencies between the OT and PT. Ben not recognizing R2, one child has memories and the other doesn't of their birth mom, and probably 20 other things I can't think of at 3:33 in the a.m. I would be interested in seeing that spoof if you know where it is.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:13 PM   #9317
Space Cop
The Dandy

Captain America (1979)

"Well, Mr. Rogers?!"

The first of the two very-off-brand TV movies from the end of the 70s starring Rebb Brown himself (of Yor and Space Mutiny 'fame'). Fun in a lame way. About to expire on Tubi. I think I saw it before (at least in part).

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-03-2021 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #9318
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
HAR HAR HAR re: Padme.

But yes, I do wholly agree with you about the inconsistencies between the OT and PT. Ben not recognizing R2, one child has memories and the other doesn't of their birth mom, and probably 20 other things I can't think of at 3:33 in the a.m. I would be interested in seeing that spoof if you know where it is.
I always figured Leia had memories of her adopted mom. She doesn't ever mention anything about knowing she is adopted.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #9319
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Tazz, if you want to give it another shot, try the 200X series, which in my humble opinion, has been the BEST MOTU show to date. It ran for a decent number of episodes, but was killed off too quick. Most of the designs were done by the Four Horsemen, and there is an ongoing story arc that is 100 times better than the shit I watched in the 80s.

If you need a link let me know.
Thanks but i know a site. Currently waiting for venom let there be carnage to hit online. I saw the credit seen and fans will be happy. I wont spoil it but it raises questions. Reviews have stated woody harrelson is fantastic as carnage wich im glad to hear since i grew up on him from natural born killers

Thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 09-29-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #9320
Space Cop
The Dandy

Sister Street Fighter (1974)

"We all know the terrible effects of drug addiction."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I always figured Leia had memories of her adopted mom. She doesn't ever mention anything about knowing she is adopted.
Yeah, that's a common in-universe explanation since episode 3, but Luke pauses and says "your real mother," which strongly implies "as opposed to your adopted mother." The real deal is that Lucas intended you to believe their mother had them for a while and possibly Leia longer and then he retconned himself.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-03-2021 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:42 PM   #9321
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Original Halloween. Off to the 2018 film

Thank you fuck you bye
Old 09-30-2021, 12:02 AM   #9322
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Return of Chandu (1934)

"With dark magic anything is possible."

The last (for now) of the serials I’m borrowing from my friend. Watching this 12 parter, in which Bela Lugosi is a good guy with mystic Oriental powers, with my folks.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-30-2021 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:41 AM   #9323
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Thanks but i know a site. Currently waiting for venom let there be carnage to hit online. I saw the credit seen and fans will be happy. I wont spoil it but it raises questions. Reviews have stated woody harrelson is fantastic as carnage wich im glad to hear since i grew up on him from natural born killers

You can watch both, Tazz. Start watching MOTU 200X, then when the new Venom movie comes out, watch that, then switch back to MOTU. There's no rule saying you have to watch only one at a time. Hell, I've got mecha anime, the TFEW game, and a book going all at the same time usually. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:15 AM   #9324
Space Cop
The Dandy

Return of the Sister Street Fighter (1975)

"You have pharmaceutical knowledge and there aren't many women with a body like yours."

I started re-watching he SF movies in tribute to Sonny Chiba, when he passed, but when I saw this (Chiba-less) sequel to the spin-off in the series was on Tubi, I decided to check it out. Fun OTT karate flick.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-30-2021 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:04 AM   #9325
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
You can watch both, Tazz. Start watching MOTU 200X, then when the new Venom movie comes out, watch that, then switch back to MOTU. There's no rule saying you have to watch only one at a time. Hell, I've got mecha anime, the TFEW game, and a book going all at the same time usually. Variety is the spice of life.
I have no interest in motu

Thank you fuck you bye