Showing Visitor Messages 101 to 110 of 113
  1. Jeff
    03-26-2011 05:12 AM
    Jeff
    Karloff (pratt), Lugosi (forget real name), Chaney Jr, Glenn Strange
  2. Abin Surly
    03-26-2011 05:12 AM
    Abin Surly
    Have you ever seen the one where Whale looks just he's adjusting Karloff's makeup but he's doing it with a something the size of an exterior house paint brush?
  3. Abin Surly
    03-26-2011 05:09 AM
    Abin Surly
    I had forgotten...I had posted this bit of nonsense on Facebook for halloween a couple of years ago...never got any comments...my FB "friends" are no fun. lol

"Halloween Movie Trivia Question: Who played the Frankenstein Monster (four different actors) from 1931 to 1948 in the Universal Studios horror cycle...extra no-credit if you can get the REAL names of the first two...NO wiki-ing or googling or imdb-ing."
  4. Jeff
    03-26-2011 05:02 AM
    Jeff
    there's a funny photo in the book of James Whale smoking and talking to stand up dummy of the Frankenstein Monster.
  5. Abin Surly
    03-26-2011 04:35 AM
    Abin Surly
    No, I haven't...I do have several older books and have done a lot of on-line reading on the subject...I also am sort of collecting on line images of production stills like Mr. Karloff in full monster makeup sipping tea and smoking a cigarette...I love those shots.

Thanks for the heads-up on the book...I've got it on my Amazon wish list now...gotta start saving my pennies...
  6. Jeff
    03-26-2011 04:03 AM
    Jeff
    have you read Universal Horrors by Brunas, Brunas, and Weaver? Very informative book.
  7. Abin Surly
    03-25-2011 07:30 AM
    Abin Surly
    Thanks, Bro...definitely check it out manana...I'm a big fan of Mr. Pratt (and classic Universal horror).

I think I've got all of the Zappa work, except for some of the compilations, including the orchestral stuff...and have a ton of the vinyl still...I just got home from a gig at a local club and was talking to our guitarist (who used to play with some pretty "heavy company") during one of the breaks and the subject of Zappa came up...he had actually met him and got to jam with him at one point when Zappa was on tour and hanging around Baltimore (which is where he was from, originally)...I was completely dumb-struck!
  8. Jeff
    03-25-2011 01:45 AM
    Jeff
    Angelo was my art name at the time:
    http://www.karloff.com/Gallery/AG_candela.html

And yes, I do love me some good Zappa. My most definite favorite- Zoot Allures. Every single song......I love em. Although I must admit- I've only got about 25 of his 80 plus discs.
  9. Abin Surly
    03-24-2011 05:20 AM
    Abin Surly
    Huge Universal Monster Fan? Kudos on the artwork...could you send me the URL for the site? Please?

Yeah, I'm fairly esoteric in my musical tastes...classically trained, but have been playing in bands for years...

And speaking of Warren Cuccurullo, how does Frank Zappa 'strike' you?
  10. Jeff
    03-24-2011 01:32 AM
    Jeff
    I have a great respect for keyboard players, especially Nick Rhodes and Richard Wright, God rest his soul. My musical tastes are all over the place. I could be listening to Katy Perry one day and Megadeth the next. I have in fact done that. For personal guitar heroes, Warren Cuccurullo, David Gilmour, Ace Frehley, Satch, and a dozen others get my freak on. For the record, I am also a HUGE Universal Monsters Fan. I'm pretty sure I've got all the original B&W's and their sequels. I actually contributed artwork to Boris Karloff's official website that is run by his daughter.