The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Abin Surly
FLASHCHAT

Conversation Between Abin Surly and Space Cop
Showing Visitor Messages 21 to 30 of 264
  1. Space Cop
    02-24-2013 01:11 AM
    Space Cop
    I hate when they "fix" old films. I was glad to see that the Bond blu-rays actually chose to keep "errors," including one that can only be seen in hi-def (a mirror shot the crew in The Man with the Golden Gun).

LOL. I'm only casual compared to guys like you. I already have the Universal Frankenstein box set and have watched BoF several times, so more hard core than the average man on the street but it's not my favorite film of all time (though I understand how it could be for others).
  2. Abin Surly
    02-23-2013 04:46 PM
    Abin Surly
    Casual BoF fan??? What's that??? LOL

Clear as bell in sight and sound. There is one little controvertial edit which involves disappearing shrubbery, meant to "fix" an odd jump cut, which is silly because Whale practically invented the artistic jump cut.

I managed to get it from Amazon for the usual cost of a dvd. I would have held out to get the big box set with Frankenstein, Bride, Mummy, Wolfman, etc. since they've got it for about half of the original price since xmas, but it's still a pretty big chunk of change for me right now.
  3. Space Cop
    02-23-2013 01:10 AM
    Space Cop
    How's that Bride blu-ray? Good transfer? What features? Do you think it's worth it for the more casual BoF fan?
  4. Abin Surly
    02-10-2013 03:05 AM
    Abin Surly
    This pretty much says it all:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bela_Lugosi_filmography
    Fun for us...not so good for a career in a fickle business.
  5. Space Cop
    02-09-2013 12:39 PM
    Space Cop
    Yeah. That makes sense.
    I was watching your posted movie and thinking he's fine for the part but this was the height of his popularity and "turbaned servant" isn't exactly the role of a lifetime. I haven't finished yet, though and he's obviously more involved.
  6. Abin Surly
    02-09-2013 03:23 AM
    Abin Surly
    As far as poor Bela's career: He tended to live beyond his means, seemingly didn't have proper medical care for his war injury that turned into sciatica (only 'treating' the pain which led to the drug addiction), taking any parts that floated his way, which because of his accent would have been far and few between in 'A' pictures, etc., etc.
    I don't to run poor Bela down, I just think that in a lot of ways he made a lot of bad decisions and was probably his own worst enemy.
  7. Abin Surly
    02-09-2013 03:22 AM
    Abin Surly
    I think that his story about 'turning down the part' was his own revised 'history' to save face. They had actually gotten to the point of doing makeup tests (which according to Edward van Sloan looked ridiculous), and supposedly Florey actually shot at least a test reel of part of the script as it was at the time and showed it to Laemmle Jr., who allegedly thought it was 'not good at all'. Fairly quickly, the project was handed over to Whale, and according to Whale's 'companion' David Lewis, Whale thought Bela was just all wrong for the part mostly because of the shape of his face, which was rather fleshy, and his rather round head.
  8. Space Cop
    02-08-2013 06:10 PM
    Space Cop
    Hey, Abin. I was just dozing off and this strange query popped into my head and I was thinking you might have an answer. I know Lugosi famously turned down Frankenstein, but besides that choice, when he was was super prolific in the 30s was Bela choosing his projects or would he have been more studio-bound ("Bela, you're doing our next picture about a killer scientist...")? When he was popping out several movies a year, touring, appearing, and what not, it's hard to imagine him really pouring over scripts and being picky.
  9. Abin Surly
    02-05-2013 05:54 PM
    Abin Surly
    Hey, show biz is show biz!

I think he was probably just lackadaisical about Ed's dialogue. I know he at least had a semi-regular gig on Jack Paar's Tonight Show around the same time.
  10. Space Cop
    02-05-2013 01:14 PM
    Space Cop
    Interesting. I didn't know he was a professional player before his "psychic" days. I wonder, did he have as much trouble with memorizing lines then or was he just too busy in the Ed Wood days to do anything but cue card reading?