The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Abin Surly
FLASHCHAT

Conversation Between Abin Surly and Space Cop
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 264
  1. Abin Surly
    03-13-2013 06:29 PM
    Abin Surly
    Rhonda Steerer. She has a great Facebook page called the the Boris Karloff Information Center and a really great website:http://rhonda-steerer.jimdo.com/ that has tons of information about BK, links to films, tv and radio stuff, etc. She also does a lot of blogging and even is going to have an article in the Karloff Tribute edition of a magazine called "We Belong Dead" (there's also an FB page for that).

Kudos on the man-cave closet. I have to put most of my stuff in storage that I can't stack up in the 'spare' room. I've still got some long boxes but have been trying to switch over as I can afford to, because they're just too damn heavy.
  2. Space Cop
    03-11-2013 08:54 PM
    Space Cop
    Actually, my stepdad made me these cool wooden shelves in what used to be a closet in my den so none of my long boxes are stacked on top of each other. I just pull out the one I need and I'm set. The closet light is even still there so I can see what I'm filing. Pretty cool.

BTW: what's your write-in friend's name?
  3. Abin Surly
    03-11-2013 05:29 PM
    Abin Surly
    Long boxes? Yow! You must have a good strong back.
  4. Space Cop
    03-11-2013 12:17 PM
    Space Cop
    I'm a pretty pathetic member. Actually, what's kept me away is what kept me from being an active member here until almost a year after joining---the board just looks so big, it's daunting.

At any rate, I might pick that mag up too. Not sure though, I really need some new long boxes for comics and I only have so much spare-purchases money per month.
  5. Abin Surly
    03-11-2013 02:29 AM
    Abin Surly
    btw, I just finished the William Everson 'Classic horror film book', found decent cheap copies of his second book and the Denis Gifford Illustated history of horror films for dirt cheap through Amazon and have just started the Gifford book on Karloff "The Man, The Monster, The Movies".

Also btw, the voting for the annual Rondo Awards is going on now, so you should check that out. I have a friend that needs to be 'written in' as international fan of the year (last year's winner actually started a thread to lobby for her for write-in votes.) She has a great Karloff tribute site with hours, days, weeks and months worth of material, info, pics, sound files and links. Anyway, since you're a member of the monsterkidclassichorrorforum, you should certainly be voting!
  6. Abin Surly
    03-11-2013 02:28 AM
    Abin Surly
    LOL...funny you would bring that up...already have an order in with my friend at the LCS. It's suppose to have some really good stuff in it and appears that the cover art may be worth 'the price of admission'.
  7. Space Cop
    03-10-2013 09:07 PM
    Space Cop
    Hey, Abin, had you seen about this mag coming out this week? Special article on BoF and another on Whale beside: http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...emID=AUG121501
  8. Abin Surly
    02-25-2013 05:06 PM
    Abin Surly
    LOL at the 'true fact'.

What's really amazing is that, in spite of the fact that you can see a shadow on 'the sky' when BK topples the big cemetery monument, whoever actually painted the skyscape did fantastic job...just beautiful, especially now that you can see the detail. Same with the sets, miniatures, etc.
  9. Space Cop
    02-25-2013 04:47 PM
    Space Cop
    I love that kind of stuff. The fake trees and yellow brick road painted backdrop in Wizard of Oz look so fake in HD but also so beautiful. And ever since I was little I always thought of studio-fake woods (where the actors are all in a "clearing" and there's 5 trees behind them) as cooler and more welcoming than the real deal.

True fact: the real Chris Lee never casts a shadow. When he plays a mere mortal, they have to digitally add it.
  10. Abin Surly
    02-25-2013 02:55 PM
    Abin Surly
    It makes me wonder if they will 'fix' the scene in Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein where you can see Lugosi's reflection in the mirror. (In the Man with the Golden Gun - did Christopher Lee cast a reflection? )

Yeah, I've got the Legacy Collections, but even the dvds that have come out since then are better prints...and the blu-ray just blew me away (except for the silliness with the tree)...and even times when you can see that it's a painted backdrop rather than a real sky just adds to the theatricallity of it (in a good way).