Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Walking Thread (Walking Dead TV Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Walking Thread (Walking Dead TV Thread)

Two notable moviemakers are teaming with AMC for a TV adaptation of the comic book The Walking Dead. Variety reports that the project includes Gale Anne Hurd (producer of The Terminator, Aliens, The Incredible Hulk) among its executive producers, while Frank Darabont is going to write and direct the pilot.

Darabont is best known for the Stephen King adaptations he wrote and directed - The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and The Mist. His early career also included screenplay work on horror films like A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors and The Blob remake. Darabont first worked on developing The Walking Dead a few years ago as an NBC project that never got produced.

aAMC have already made a big impact in scripted television with their acclaimed shows Mad Men and Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead solidifies they have become a premiere destination for top-tier talent. Variety says it will be "one of the richest development deals ever", as contracts are signed for the project. The comic book, from Robert Kirkman, is a zombie story, where a group of survivors – led by police officer Rick Grimes – search for a safe haven.

AMC's Joel Stillerman tells Variety the series will remain faithful to the comic, saying, "This is not about zombies popping out of closets. This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."
    I remember the first time I sat down and read 40 issues in a day of TWD and though it was one of the coolest things I've ever read, a zombie comic that wasn't about zombies at all, but about humans at their most basic nature and with survival as their only though, and how that started to flesh out, and every character was really somebody to care or hate and not just a dude you'll read without caring what it's going to happen with him/her.

And then I also remember when I started to think "damn, this would be an awesome show!" not a movie, it would suck as a movie, or even more than one, because this really needs a huuuuge time to develop. Only a series with a couple of seasons will do it justice.

And here we are now. I'm dying to see how this plays out.

Yo.

ok, so how does this differ from Day or Land of the Dead??

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

This is fantastic news. You're right Krysalid, this needs much more than a 2 hour movie could offer.

Can't wait for this show.

Comment

I've been reading Kirkman's Invincible in collected format but haven't read The Walking Dead. How is it compared to, for example, Y: The Last Man?

I've heard good things about it and may have to check it out.

Comment

ive read upto 20 issues of the comic, and i think im a bit excited about this news

Comment

Originally posted by Green CFL Lantern View Post
            I've been reading Kirkman's Invincible in collected format but haven't read The Walking Dead. How is it compared to, for example, Y: The Last Man?

I start reading this 2 books recently and i enjoy both
            But honestly.. Walking dead its much better.
            I Make my Own T-Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by Green CFL Lantern View Post

I got bored with Y three volumes in.

The Walking Dead is much better, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tons T View Post
                ive read upto 20 issues of the comic, and i think im a bit excited about this news
                Make it to the forties and you will be totally hooked.

Comment

A friend sent this news to me.

All I can say is:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  The Best Comic Site Ever!!!

Comment

Aha, I knew if I looked back far enough, I'd find a thread about the Walking Dead TV show!

Okay, so I got The Walking Dead Compendium for Christmas, and have been reading through it - this comic is astounding. It's got me thinking about the upcoming TV series, and how it could be structured.

I know that Robert Kirkman has said he personally would be okay with the TV show just doing it's own thing and only following the comic series in tone rather than following the narrative too closely. I understand the logic of that, letting The Walking Dead the comic and The Walking Dead the TV show be their own distinct entities - that approach has worked nicely for Dexter and True Blood - and would be fine with them doing that. But reading the comic series as I am, as one cohesive role, it seems to me that, IF they decided to follow the comics more closely after all, it has the kind of pacing that would work brilliantly for a TV series, with it all breaking down pretty much perfectly.

The Walking Dead will be on AMC, so for argument's sake, I'm going to play off the assumption that it would follow the 12-episode season set-up of Mad Men. Taking this into consideration, that 12 episodes make up 1 season, it's surprising how well everything works out when you follow a "2 comic issues = 1 TV episode" formula. This way, one TV season would cover the events of 4 of the collected graphic novels. For an example, I've written out how a first season closely following the events of the comic could be divided up into 12 episodes. Lots of plot spoilers in here, so scroll over to read:

EPISODE 1
                    The pilot, based around the first 2 issues of The Walking Dead. For this opening episode, most of the focus would be on Rick Grimes, and his mostly solitary journey. You start with him getting shot, then waking from his coma. Then, we'd follow him through his escape from the hospital, and after the detour to his abandoned home where he meets Morgan and Duane Jones, we follow him on his journey to Atlanta, climaxing with the horrific reveal of the hellhole that city has become and his narrow escape from it. You end the episode with Glenn bringing him to the camp, where he finds his wife, Lori, and his son, Carl.

EPISODE 2
                    In this episode, we'd be introduced to the wider ensemble cast of the survivors living in the camp. So here the show would go from essentially being a one-man show to being an ensemble-driven show. Various character dynamics would be established, particularly the friendship between Rick and Shane, and the loving family network of Rick, Lori and Carl. We'd see some early skirmishes with zombies, including Glenn and Rick's nailbiting expedition into the city to find the gun store. You end the episode with the revelation that Lori and Shane slept together, and Shane is not to be trusted.

EPISODE 3
                    This is the episode where the camp set-up falls apart. We have the night-time attack on the camp, where Amy is killed and Jim is bitten, leading to him being left to die. And as a backdrop to this, you have Shane's descent into madness. The episode would of course end with that pivotal moment, where Shane is about to kill Rick, only for young Carl to shoot Shane and kill him.

EPISODE 4
                    Rick takes over as leader, and decides they are to leave the camp. This episode would focus on their struggles in the wilderness, fending off the odd zombie attack. We would also meet Tyreese, his daughter Julie, and her boyfriend Chris, as they encounter the group of survivors and join them. There would be a little switching around of the "two issues = one episode" formula here, as I think a good ending for the episode would be the issue 5 ending, with Lori revealing to Rick that she is pregnant.

EPISODE 5
                    This would be a goodun. The group discover the Wiltshire Estates gated community, and move into it, hoping to start a new life there. But it all goes horribly wrong when they discover the place had become a mass grave, and is now teeming with zombies. They barely escape with their lives, all except Donna, who is killed. Back on the road, Rick, Tyreese and Carl go hunting. You end the episode with Carl being shot and seemingly killed.

EPISODE 6
                    We discover that it was Otis who accidentally shot Carl, and that Carl is not dead, but wounded. Otis takes Rick and Carl to Hershel's farm, and Hershel treats the boy. The rest of the survivors show up at the farm, and Hershel introduces them to his family and allows them to stay while Carl recovers. Rick learns about Hershel collecting zombies and locking them up in his barn instead of killing them. They eventually break out, and two of Hershel's children are killed. Enraged by grief, he turns out Rick and the other survivors, and the episode ends with them stranded out in the wilderness once moe.

EPISODE 7
                    The survivors discover the prison, and set about trying to clear it of zombies, so they can live there. They find the four stranded prisoners holed up there, and they become part of the group. Rick goes back to Hershel's farm, and invites him and his remaining family to join them in the prison. At the end of the episode, Julie and Chris botch a suicide pact, with Chris killing Julie before she can kill him. Tyreese finds the sobbing Chris and his dead daughter, and while he's holding her dead body in his arms, she comes back to life as a zombie.

EPISODE 8
                    Once zombie Julie is killed, Tyreese strangles Chris to death, then takes grim satisfaction in mutiliating him once he comes back as a zombie. Learning that people come back as zombies after dying even when they haven't been bitten, Rick journeys back to the old camp to finish off zombie Shane. Back at the prison, meanwhile, we see Tyreese dealing with the intense trauma of what he has experienced. When clearing out the prison gym of zombies, he gets buried under a pile of them and the others have to leave him behind. When they return later, they discover him still alive, having bludgeoned every last one of them. At the end of the episode, Hershel discovers his twin daughters dead, their heads cut off. I found this to be the single most upsetting, horrifying thing I've read in the comic so far, and I don't know if this image would make it to TV. But it would be an incredibly powerful, horrifying conclusion if they could get away with it.

EPISODE 9
                    Now, following my formula, this would be the most packed episode of any this season, and as such if AMC decided to follow a 13-episode structure, this is the one episode I would split into 2 episodes to make up the number. Here, the survivors discover a killer is in their midst. Suspicion falls on convicted murderer Dexter, and he is locked up in a cell until they figure out what to do with him. However, the true killer turns out to be another convict, Thomas, who slashes Andrea across the face and attempts to kill her, before Rick stops him, beating him to a pulp in the process. The decision is made that he is to be executed, but before they can do it, he attempts escape, and is shot to death by Hershel's last remaining daughter, Maggie. The episode would end with a mini revolution, with Dexter and fellow convict Andrew holding the survivors at gunpoint and demanding they leave the prison, despite them facing certain death at the hands of the zombie masses awaiting outside.

EPISODE 10
                    We pick up from the previous week's cliffhanger, with Dexter's ultimatum interrupted by an influx of zombies from A-Block of the prison, which Dexter and Andrew breached while getting their guns. We then have a huge battle with the biggest wave of zombies seen at this point in the series. During the battle, two important things happen. First, we get the arrival of Michonne into the series, as she shows up with her samurai swords and proves to be a big help in the battle. Second, Rick shoots Dexter in the head during the chaos, passing it off as accidental crossfire - a defining moment for the character. Once things have calmed down and something resembling a status quo has been restored, a group of survivors set out to clear A-Block of its remaining zombies. In the process, Allen is bitten in the leg by one. After dragging him to safety, we end the episode with Rick hacking off Allen's leg with an axe in hopes of stopping the infection from spreading.

EPISODE 11
                    We see that Rick's plan to stop the infection worked, but Allen lost a lot of blood, and is near death anyway. This would be more of a quieter, character-driven episode, as we see how the various members of our shifting ensemble have adjusted to this new status quo. The key development would be Carol discovering that Tyreese has cheated on her with Michonne, resulting in her breaking up with him. The episode would end with Lori going to talk to Carol, only to discover she has slit her wrists.

EPISODE 12
                    When wanting to tell him the news about Carol, Rick walks in on Tyreese and Michonne kissing, and realises this is why they broke up, and now why Carol has attempted suicide. We have a massive argument between Rick and Tyreese, which escalates into a huge fight, where the two beat the hell out of each other. The fight ends when they learn that Allen has died. Rick shoots Allen's corpse in the head to prevent him coming back as a zombie, then passes out. While Rick is unconscious, the rest of the group decide that he is cracking under the pressure and should no longer be their leader. They decide that instead the survivors should be led by a committee of Rick, Tyreese, Glenn and Hershel. Maybe insert some action scene involving zombies that's not in the comics in here to make the finale seem more action-packed. Rick wakes up, and we end the series with his big speech to the rest of the group from the end of volume 4, culminating in his famous "We ARE the walking dead!" line. Fade out, end of series.

Now, it's not a perfect set-up. The way it works, some episodes would be packed full of action while others would be very talky. And what's lacking is a clear-cut "Big Bad". There's the constant threat of the zombies, of course. But other than that, rather than one clear Big Bad, we have a series of "Little Bads", who emerge and are quickly dealt with. Shane, then the Julie/Chris red herring (we think they're planning on killing the others, but it turns out they only want to kill themselves), then Thomas, then Dexter. One way this could be addressed is by making Tyreese kinda the "Big Bad", not so much in that he's a villain, but more in pushing the growing Rick/Tyreese rivalry to the fore a little more, so the big fight in the finale feels like the climax of a season-long arc. It kinda is already in the books - we see how each is witness to the other's moment of cold-blooded murder, and there are nice parallels in their respective character arcs - but perhaps the TV series could beef it up a little bit more.

You can see just how well the structure of the comic compliments the episodic layout of a TV series, and hopefully how neatly things work out with this "two issues = 1 episode/4 volumes = 1 season" formula. It would carry onto Season 2 (or volumes 5-8) as well, with the second season covering the entirety of the Governor arc - now THERE'S a Big Bad - and setting up the finale of this second season to be one of the most shocking, ballsiest episodes of television ever created.

Comment

Okay, so after getting it for Christmas, I finished reading The Walking Dead Compendium, then Volumes 9 and 10 of the paperback edition graphic novels after that. I'm now totally hooked on The Walking Dead, and with the series buzzng around in my mind, I've thought up candidates for most of the principal cast in the TV adaptation.

Casting a TV show is tricky, as you can't really cast much in the way of movie stars, or even actors currently involved in other hit TV shows. So for the most part (with a few exceptions) I looked at a very specific field of actors when casting the various roles. Tell me what you think, or even suggest some of your own casting ideas!

RICK GRIMES

PETER KRAUSE
                      As someone who was with Six Feet Under from pilot to finale, I like to keep tabs on its cast, and especially like to see them do well. And I think Peter Krause definitely deserves a breakout role like his former co-star Michael C. Hall had in Dexter Morgan. And I think Rick Grimes - the small-town cop who wakes from a coma to find the world has been overrun by zombies - could be that role. On one hand, it fits his relatable everyman persona to a T. But the dark territory it veers into would really give Krause a chance to stretch his legs and do something different.

LORI GRIMES

JAIME MURRAY
                      My initial temptation was to go for a Six Feet Under reunion and suggest Rachel Griffiths for the part of Rick's wife, Lori. But I decided to avoid repetition, and realised the networks would probably want to skew a bit younger for their female lead. I initially considered Mia Kirshner from The L Word (or Mandy from 24), but discovered she's now committed to The Vampire Diaries. Then I came up with English actress Jaime Murray. She was great in Dexter, and in Eli Stone showed that she has a decent enough American accent. She'd bring some sass and grit to the role of Lori, and she looks the part too.

MORGAN JONES

ANDRE ROYO
                      When Rick wakes from his coma, the first survivor he meets his Morgan Jones, who's trying to make a living in the remains of Rick's old neighbourhood with his young son, Duane. It's a small role, but Morgan and Duane turn up later in the series with a much meatier role. As such, it's important to set things up by getting a great actor to play Morgan, and there are few in the realm of TV better than Andre Royo. The Wire had an ensemble jam-packed with great performances, but arguably the best was Royo's portrayal of drug addict Bubbles. Royo should be back on our TV, and I think this would be a good role for him to showcase his talents.

MICHONNE

ZOE SALDANA
                      This was a tough role to cast, as it's not going to be easy to find an actress who can embody the sheer badassery of the mysterious, sword-wielding survivor, Michonne. In order to find someone who fits the bill, I had to look beyond the stable of TV actors I was originally working from and settle on an actress whose star is fast rising in the world of film. After doing well with roles in Star Trek and Avatar, Zoe Saldana might not be interested in TV, but I think a role as juicy as Michonne - she could end up being the big showstealer of the series - she might just be tempted.

DALE

JUDE CICCOLELLA
                      Anyone else out there who watches 24 will surely agree with me that Secretary of State Mike Novick was absolutely awesome. He's definitely one of my most missed characters, removed from the show not by death, but by a change of government. Since then, actor Jude Ciccolella has drifted from one small guest-starring role to another, clearly in need of a new TV home. And I think Dale would be a great role. As the elder statesman of the group of survivors, Dale often finds himself dispensing sage advice to the younguns, so Jude would get to flex some of those Novick muscles again, while also getting to play more of an active role than he ever really did in 24.

More to come!

Comment

ANDREA

EMILIE DE RAVIN
                        Andrea is quite tricky to nail down, agewise, as though the writing would suggest she is about college age, she is often drawn looking older. She's the expert marks(wo)man of the group, and also happens to be banging old man Dale. I decided to go with Emilie de Ravin (best known as Claire from Lost), because while she's 30 now, she still looks young enough for the saucy sex scenes with a boyfriend north of 60 to feel as weird as they do in the comics.

TYREESE

GBENGA AKINNAGBE
                        Yep, I'm drawing from The Wire again. His performance as soft-spoken killer Chris Partlow may have been overlooked by some because he played the "straight man" in the double-act with motor-mouthed teen gangsta girl Snoop, but Gbenga delivered a nuanced, chilling performance that I found utterly compelling. I've been eager to see him get another big role since then, and Tyreese could be just the part for him. Tyreese is the muscle of the group, and Gbenga has he physicality to capture that. The only problem is that, at 33, he might be a little young to play the father of a teenage girl.

GLENN

BEE VANG
                        I'm afraid I don't know many young Asian actors, and I'm not entirely happy with this casting. Bee Vang didn't exactly light the world on fire with his performance in Gran Torino, and I feel a bit like I'm almost casting him by default because I don't know anyone else suitable. Forager Glenn is about the closest thing The Walking Dead has to comic relief, so I could only hope Bee Vang would have the charisma to pull off the role.

MAGGIE GREENE

SHANNON WOODWARD
                        Glenn's love interest Maggie is a character who starts off pretty simplisticly, but get's increasingly complex and interesting as things progress. In looking for a young actress to play her, I thought Shannon Woodward from The Riches was a decent choice. As far as "the moody teenage daughter" role in family dramas go, she wasn't overly annoying. I think she could do quite well as Maggie.

HERSHEL GREENE

VICTOR GARBER
                        I'm not entirely happy with this casting choice. On one hand, Victor Garber is a fabulous actor, who makes any TV show in which he appears better. But on the other hand, versatile as he may be, I'm not sure if Victor's articulate, urbane manner of speaking quite fits with a salt-of-the-earth old farmer like Hershel. Still, Hershel is a character who is put through more misery than just about anyone in The Walking Dead, and you need a powerhouse actor to be able to pull that off, while also maintaining a sense of quiet gravitas. And this kinda stuff seems to be right within Mr. Garber's wheelhouse.

To be continued!

Comment

SHANE

WENTWORTH MILLER
                          This might seem like strange casting at first, but hear me out. Spoilers ahoy!

Wentworth Miller is of course best known for his heroic role as Michael Schofield in Prison Break. So when he shows up as Rick Grimes' loyal best friend Shane, people will think they know what to expect. So then it will be all the more shocking when we quickly goes completely crazy, and is abruptly killed off.

CAROL

DREA DE MATTEO
                          The emotionally-fragile single mother Carol is a character who always seems to be on the brink of hysteria. And as Adrianna on The Sopranos, Drea de Matteo captured that vibe very well. Of course, a zombie holocaust is a starkly different context than life married to the mob, and Carol is very different from Adrianna, so there's still plenty of scope for Drea to be covering new ground as an actress.

ALLEN

KEVIN SMITH
                          Please, let me explain! I know this is likely to be the most controversial of my casting picks, but I have very much thought it through. The explanation requires some plot spoilers, however:

If you read my possible season structure in my post above, you'll see that the way I set things out, Allen's death would be the climactic event of the first season. The thing is, as he is in the book, this isn't as big an event as it could be. For quite a while Allen feels like a redshirt, just waiting to be picked off. In order for his death to be truly tragic and effective as a finale, we have to care about Allen, feel attached to him. He has to be played by someone EVERYONE likes. And though opinion on his movies and his comic writing seems to be split, as a person, just about EVERYONE loves Kevin Smith. He's proven with various projects before that he's actually a pretty capable actor, and this could be a career-redefining stretch for him. Plus, when audiences see cuddly funny guy Kevin Smith forced to watch his wife die, screaming in agony as his leg is hacked off with an axe, and finally dying, it will affect them a lot more than it would if all that was happening to some faceless guy.

Smith might seem a bit young, but actually, he's in his 40s now, which actually makes him the perfect age for father of two Allen. And you can't deny he looks the part. IT COULD WORK!

DONNA

CATHERINE DENT
                          Allen's frumpy, nagging wife Donna isn't the most flattering of roles for an actress to play, but I think Catherine Dent could not only pull it off, but also inject a little bit of understated sexy in there too. She had the ice-queen shtick down pat with her role as toughened street cop Danny Sofer in The Shield, and that could translate well into a role as a pissed-off housewife....without a house.

ALICE

LAURIE HOLDEN
                          Trainee doctor Alice isn't the biggest of roles, but she does prove pivotal to various key plot points down the line. Laurie Holden might be a little older than how Alice was envisioned, but I actually think the character would work better if she was a little older and more jaded. Laurie of course has experience working with Frank Dabaront, having appeared in The Mist, so there's a working relationship there to build from.

One more part and I'm done! Honest!

Comment

ABRAHAM FORD

KENNETH JOHNSON
                            Going by my "2 issues = 1 episode/4 volumes = 1 season" formula laid out in my post above, Abraham and Eugene wouldn't be showing up until Season 3. But still, I'll think ahead and cast the pair of them. First up is burly biker dude Abraham. Kenneth Johnson is a big guy, who I think could capture both Abraham's physical presence, and is thinly-veiled vulnerability. Just put a handlebar moustache on him, and he's good to go.

EUGENE PORTER

TIMOTHY SPALL
                            Eugene is a scientist who might just know the cause of the zombie outbreak. And he looks strangely like acclaimed British actor Timothy Spall. I for one don't mind the doctor having an English accent - it might even add to the character, in fact.

AXEL

JOE PANTOLIANO
                            Casting aging convict Axel turned out to be one of the hardest roles of all to get right. It was bugging me, there was someone in the back of my head who I knew was just right, but I couldn't visualise it, couldn't quite put my finger on who it was. And I realised what was wrong: the beard. I was trying to think of someone with that beard, which of course not many actors out there have. So I removed that from my mind (that can always be grown later, or added as a prosthetic even), and instead thought of Axel's smart-ass attitude, thought of what his voice would sound like. Then I realised who that perfect choice was: Joe Pantoliano.

DEXTER

MICHAEL JAI WHITE
                            Dexter is an early rival for Rick Grimes, another inmate they find in the prison, who Rick immediately distrusts due to his past as a convicted murderer. Dexter is a physically imposing fella, so I think Michael Jai White would be a nice choice to play the role.

THE GOVERNOR

KEVIN BACON
                            Ah, The Governor. TV fans unfamiliar with The Walking Dead do not know what awaits them, for if he is anywhere close to comic accurate, we will soon be seeing the most vile, despicable, monstrous villain in TV history. But who to play him? This turned out to actually be the last role I settled on, one of the hardest of any to cast, even though I originally thought it'd be one of the easiest. On one hand, you could cast a reliable TV heavy like, say, Clancy Brown, and they'd do fine in the role, but iut would all feel a bit safe, familiar. The other side of the spectrum had me considering impossible movie megastars beloved by all, to make the transformation all the more horrific, but as great as it would be to see Robert Downey Jr or Tom Hanks don the eyepatch, I doubt that'll ever happen. So I took a look at what Dexter has been doing these past couple of seasons in finding its "Big Bad". With the likes of Jimmy Smits or John Lithgow, you have big names, guys who have established film careers, but who are not quite big enough to be huge headlining movie stars and totally overshadow the regular cast of the TV show. With John Lithgow in particular, you have a guy who in the 80s and early 90s was celebrated as one of the best villain actors Hollywood had to offer, but by the time he got aronud to playing Dexter that aspect of his career had been all but forgotten. So trying to emulate that, I cast my mind back to actors who really made an impression on me in my childhood back in the 90s, actors who might not be as big now as they were then, but are still very much active and doing stellar work. And finally, one name emerged: the perennially underrated Kevin Bacon. He has villain credentials, to be sure, but he's a big enough and well-respected name that many will be shocked and horrified to see him do what The Governor does. It could be just the kind of high-profile role to put an excellent yet unfairly overlooked actor right back in the spotlight.

And finally

CARL, SOPHIA, DUANE AND THE TWINS

I'm not going to cast the child parts, because ideally, the best actors for these roles aren't out there in the public arena yet. In my opinion, it is important they skew young with these roles. Carl in particular. In the first volume of The Walking Dead, Carl is described as being 7 years old. I wouldn't cast a kid much older than that. It wouldn't do any good having Carl hit puberty after a season or two. It is important that we see Carl as a child, losing his innocence. That's the true tragedy of The Walking Dead.

Well there it is, my cast. I didn't cover everyone, but I think I covered enough to get some discussion going. What do you think?

Comment

WOOOO!

Comment

Working...
                              X