The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 07-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #12101
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

WB can out overcome there fears!
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #12102
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingJohn View Post
I think one of the flaws in this movie is that a lot of it is implied and open to interpretation. I'm saying that they implied that he's known for overcoming fear regularly (outside of the movie's timeframe) and unfortunately they show him experiencing too much fear in the movie, actually I think a lot of it is doubt, not really fear.
walking away from the GLC could be considered more doubt than fear I'll admit, but punching out of a plane that he was quite capable of saving after suffering that flashback was pure fear.

as for wat was up for interpretation, I dont think it was such when Carol laid out b4 RR (cuz Im not calling him Hal, no matter wat) how he had walked away from all of his romantic relationships; I dont see how that could be viewed in any other light than how it was delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
I don't think it's terrible. But it's definately pretty mediocre with some real flaws with the villains and the conflict of the movie. My personal bias is still there, but it's fading every day as I see the GL for what it is, a series of lost opportunities in making what COULD have been a great super hero movie.
as a movie it IS mediocre, but its horrible-ness come from the transition of putting Hal on-screen, which was a complete failure; if they wanted to use Kyle, then they shouldve done just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZourceman View Post
Isn't it the ability to overcome great fear, and not having proved that you have overcome great fear?

He had the power inside of him, and that is why the ring chose him. Makes perfect sense to me.
the context to which "the ability to overcome great fear" is generally used is as a character trait the subject actually exhibits, and not a potential strength theyve rarely ever shown.

and from a movie standpoint, if it takes 4/5 of a movie for the lead character to show WHY he was picked, then thats simply terrible story construction IMNSHO.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #12103
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I think one of the flaws in this movie is that a lot of it is implied and open to interpretation. I'm saying that they implied that he's known for overcoming fear regularly (outside of the movie's timeframe) and unfortunately they show him experiencing too much fear in the movie, actually I think a lot of it is doubt, not really fear.
I agree it's one of the many flaws of the film that this point wasn't clear. This being the supposed foundation of the franchise, that point should have been crystal clear as it's an essessential element in the Green Lantern mythos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
I don't think it's terrible. But it's definately pretty mediocre with some real flaws with the villains and the conflict of the movie. My personal bias is still there, but it's fading every day as I see the GL for what it is, a series of lost opportunities in making what COULD have been a great super hero movie.
I don't think it's that terrible either. I said it before the release date of the film, I felt the quality of the film would be somewhere near the Fantastic Four and The Hulk. And yes, the movie is lacking in many areas.

Quote:
Isn't it the ability to overcome great fear, and not having proved that you have overcome great fear?

He had the power inside of him, and that is why the ring chose him. Makes perfect sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

[the context to which "the ability to overcome great fear" is generally used is as a character trait the subject actually exhibits, and not a potential strength theyve rarely ever shown.

and from a movie standpoint, if it takes 4/5 of a movie for the lead character to show WHY he was picked, then thats simply terrible story construction IMNSHO.

Tazer
Agreed. Thus, the film made it look like the ring gave him the ability to overcome fear. It would have served the film better if Hal had a chip on his shoulder trying to prove he's not afraid of anything, since he has already witness his worst fear when he saw his father die in the plane crash. It would also help explain why he has friction with his family, as he's going against their wishes from him being a test pilot; they're afraid for him.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #12104
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

OK...maybe it's me but I'm feeling like people are really over analyzing this film. You know...like that person that dwells and dwells and dwells on something till they either become sick over it or end up hating it. So..just let it go. It was an enjoyable movie...flaws and all. Let's see what WB will do next with GL..whether to do a sequel..reboot...or let it fade away. But let's stop the dwelling shall we?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #12105
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGamer View Post
OK...maybe it's me but I'm feeling like people are really over analyzing this film. You know...like that person that dwells and dwells and dwells on something till they either become sick over it or end up hating it. So..just let it go. It was an enjoyable movie...flaws and all. Let's see what WB will do next with GL..whether to do a sequel..reboot...or let it fade away. But let's stop the dwelling shall we?

But see it wasn't a enjoyable movie, it was sub par at best. That's not dwelling, that's a fact.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #12106
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongreen2814 View Post
But see it wasn't a enjoyable movie, it was sub par at best. That's not dwelling, that's a fact.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #12107
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I couple of weeks ago, I posted a quote for Geoff Johns saying Green Lantern reminded him of The Last Starfighter. I could see why he said that, and why the reaction of the film is split.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #12108
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

THE LAST STARFIGHTER IS DEAD!!!!

She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #12109
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard

Ranked 10th on Friday with only $945,000...it's about done fella's.

Green since 1974!
Lantern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #12110
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern54 View Post
Except that it hasn't opened internationally in a lot of markets yet :| Yeah, it's pretty much run it's course domestically, but it's barely even hit overseas yet.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #12111
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern54 View Post
now what about dvd sales will that save it?

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #12112
Lantern54
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
now what about dvd sales will that save it?
Possibly, but I doubt it. I'm not sure how well it will do over seas either. It has struggled in the countries that it's opened in so far.

Green since 1974!
Lantern54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:12 AM   #12113
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Quote:
Except that it hasn't opened internationally in a lot of markets yet :| Yeah, it's pretty much run it's course domestically, but it's barely even hit overseas yet.
Anyone who wants to see this movie oversee, most likely already has.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:14 AM   #12114
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

does anyone have any fears due to how gl did bad that it may effect your views on captain america?

i admit im a bit worried

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #12115
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Im not.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #12116
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
Im not.
good to know. i wanna have high hopes but i just dont wanna expect to much like i did with gl

Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #12117
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Marvels got a decent trac record with movies they control.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #12118
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Marvels got a decent trac record with movies they control.
what really amazes me is that the animated gl films are 100 times better than the live action one.

such a shame wb couldnt of let the director take controll.

i forgot who posted it or what page it's on but there was a link describing how wb basicly screwed the film up and it wasnt martins film.

someone even mentioned the one scene from a trailer where hal saves a kid and i totaly forgot about that and didnt see it in the film at all

Old 07-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #12119
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

Quote:
that's your opinion....and opinions are like assholes...everyone has one
Old 07-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #12120
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
and every shits out of em and im shitting on this movie

Old 07-10-2011, 04:18 AM   #12121
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

Quote:
does anyone have any fears due to how gl did bad that it may effect your views on captain america?

i admit im a bit worried

see...with Cap America....first off...for me..I'm a big WW2 era fan..so when i see WW2 soldiers running in a battle and then some dude runs along side in red white and blue leather and a shield...thats gay as hell...then throw in nazis with future weapons? Double gay. I know its a CBM...but it's not WW2 era stuff folks. Again..just MHO
Old 07-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #12122
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
see...with Cap America....first off...for me..I'm a big WW2 era fan..so when i see WW2 soldiers running in a battle and then some dude runs along side in red white and blue leather and a shield...thats gay as hell...then throw in nazis with future weapons? Double gay. I know its a CBM...but it's not WW2 era stuff folks. Again..just MHO
the costume is cool but i agree about the futuristic weapons set in ww2.

my concern is will they do what gl did and basicly mix diffrent variations into the story and end up being a cluster fuck?

i admit im not that knowledgeable on captain america but when they showed what was the name hydra?

i noticed some weird looking weapons they had

Old 07-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #12123
ReZourceman
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Quote:
Word.

Quote:

i admit im a bit worried
Pffft no. Captain America is going to be this years best comic book movie. Now thats a fact.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #12124
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

Word.

Pffft no. Captain America is going to be this years best comic book movie. Now thats a fact.
and thats what i and alot of ppl thought of green lantern just based on the trailers..............

and suprisingly im shocked that countries like south korea took marvels offer by eliminating the name captain america but they kept it solo as the first avenger.

im really interested to see how this will do over seas

im not saying i expect ca to fail but like i stated yes i do indeed have some concerns.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #12125
ErikBauer
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Anyone who wants to see this movie oversee, most likely already has.
Nobody that I know of.

Ok.. I do not know everybody here in Europe, but please this is just naysaying.
GL still has lots of markets to hit and that's a fact.
OK maybe it will not do as much as Transformers or IronMan, but it's far from done. Keep in mind that at least here in Italy, every theater has big standups and posters of GL since a couple of weeks (the release date is 31th of August), so WB is promoting it a lot here.
ErikBauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie