Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If one of these three GLs had to die, who would it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If one of these three GLs had to die, who would it be?

Just between Kyle, Guy and John. If YOU had to choose.

(and NO, it can't be one of the "extra" GLs like Baz or Jessica or the Teen Lantern)

Like let's say a bad guy kidnaps all three of them, steals their rings, and has his men put a gun to all of their heads. You have to pick one to die, or he'll execute all three of them.
    John Stewart
    18.75%
    Guy Gardner
    31.25%
    Kyle Rayner
    50.00%

Just to be clear, you are asking who I would RATHER it be, not who I think it actually WOULD be if DC axed one of them, right? The thread title sounds like the latter, but the post content sounds like the former.

For me, I wouldn't choose John because a.) I like him, and b.) he's the only GL other than Hal and the most recent additions who is getting any use in current titles. If he were to die, I don't see them using the other two more to compensate, so killing him off would result in things being worse from my point of view.

So it comes down to which of the other two. I like both, but I think I like Kyle a bit more. However, I have the impression that, even though he isn't being used now, Kyle is a more likely candidate for a "resurrection event" down the line somewhere. If Guy dies, we'll probably never see him again. (We might not, anyway, but if he's alive there's some chance.) So I guess I'd vote for Kyle dying, if forced.
    Mister Ed
    Horse of a Different Color
    Last edited by Mister Ed; 03-05-2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Kyle.

Comment

I'd have to say Guy. His history is one of mostly being a supporting character or a paired lead. His function in volume 2 was more to help develop Hal, and eventually, John, than be a headliner.

Of course, he's evolved, but now he's become that team player who would sacrifice himself in an instant for any of his fellow Lanterns, especially other members of the Four Corpsmen.
        Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Guy.

Comment

No, don't kill off Guy, my favorite, nor Kyle, who was supposed to become Space Jesus with the White Ring.

John's been overdone now for a while. Give him a rest.

Comment

Guy's my favourite so I'm not gonna say him anytime soon. I went with John, I find him the most characterless Lantern although he was great in the DCAU. I think more could be done with Kyle, they could kinda revamp him into an arty hipster type to contrast with Hal's more traditional conservative superhero type.
              Originally posted by IonFan
              (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
              Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
              If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
              Originally posted by Quaker
              I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

It might be Kyle, because I think he's really struggled to find a place in GL since Hal Jordan and the Corps came back. He worked really well for a particular time and a particular status quo that I just can't see coming back. Though John and Guy might not have been as important characters as Kyle in the grand scheme of GL history, I think they fit a lot more naturally in a general Green Lantern status quo.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                  It might be Kyle, because I think he's really struggled to find a place in GL since Hal Jordan and the Corps came back.
                  You're kidding me. Since Jordan and the Corps came back, Kyle has headlined like three series (the Ion maxi, Guardians, and Omega Men). What exactly have John or Guy done comparatively?

Comment

John was Corps leader in the main title for a while, and has been GL in Justice League most recently.

Comment

Really, none of them need to die. Although if it had to be one of those three, I'd pick Kyle, because to me he'd be the hardest one to write about and make interesting.

Baz and Cruz are who need to die. Permanently.
                      Trey Strain
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-10-2020, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                        You're kidding me. Since Jordan and the Corps came back, Kyle has headlined like three series (the Ion maxi, Guardians, and Omega Men). What exactly have John or Guy done comparatively?
                        John's been a leader in the Green Lantern Corp and a JL member, which feel like good roles for him, and Guy has been a Green Lantern and had a stint as a Red Lantern, both of which, while I don't like the concept of the Red Lanterns, make sense for the character and he fills those roles well.

Kyle Rayner has been an Ion, a basic Green Lantern, a White Lantern, an Omega Lantern, a basic Green Lantern...and maybe something I'm forgetting, and now he's in limbo.

I believe people keep trying these different roles with Kyle Rayner because he doesn't have a very comfortable place in the status quo that exists now, because he wasn't designed to. Back when he was the (more or less) last Green Lantern, did we see him swap out character roles like he has in recent history? Nope, because he comfortably fit in the status quo he was operating in at the time.

He was designed to be the last Green Lantern and be a Peter Parker type of character in New York City. That whole thing is over and done with, and I don't think he's comfortably transitioned into a more traditional Green Lantern status quo particularly well.

But, let me ask...
                        Do you think that the comics ION: Guardian of the Universe and New Guardians are as good as Kyle's Green Lantern comics in the 1990's? Some people might, but I'm willing to wager the consensus would be that most people wouldn't think so, and while there are a lot of factors to consider, the lead character and how he's presented and what he's doing are really big ones.
                        Star-Lantern
                        Weaponer of Qward
                        Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-11-2020, 01:12 AM.
                        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

1. Please don't kill any of them.

2. Don't kill John. He's the most likely Earth Lantern to show up in the next movie, because Hal's movie tanked, people still remember John from the JLU cartoon, and he's one of the few POC DC can put on the Justice League without the peanut gallery complaining about ViRtUe SiGnALLiNg.

3. I like Kyle. In a superhero universe of superpowered aliens, demigods and men without fear, he is the one simple mortal that hasn't had an impossible training regiment since he was 12. Well, he and Jimmy Olsen, but all the Turtle Men and Elastic Lad episodes have muddied that particular water a bit. DC needs that everyman perspective. They have tried their best to make Kyle unrelatable to their readers by shoving him into space for 20 years and robbing him of his human supporting cast, and he's still the closest thing to a Peter Parker that DC has. Killing him would rob them of that.

4. That leaves us with Guy, who I like. But ever since they regressed him from his Vuldarian Warrior days back to the JLI imbecile he had been way back in the 80s, they don't know what stories to tell with him. He's had a Red Lantern ring for a hot minute, but DC needs to let the other colors of the rainbow cool down for another decade or two because Johns and Venditti overused them to the point of radioactivity. Which leaves us with Guy, the bar owner on another planet. If it were up to me, I'd move Warriors back to Earth to turn it into a Planet Krypton type of establishment. You can get a bit of mileage out of that. But you wouldn't necessarily need Guy for that.

So if one of the three really has to die (a premise I still reject), it would have to be Guy by process of elimination.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                            Do you think that the comics ION: Guardian of the Universe and New Guardians are as good as Kyle's Green Lantern comics in the 1990's?
                            Not at all. Ion might have been something if it'd been allowed to be something, but New Guardians was just an ensemble book, same as Kyle's role in GLC before that was him lost in another ensemble book. New Guardians definitely allocated him some "nice moments," but that's about all.

Comment

Sadly Guy. John will get a pass because he ticks the African-American box and Kyle is half-Mexican so he'll also get a pass on DC's SJW diversity checklist.

Guy is the only other full blooded White Guy [doesn't get any Whiter than Irish] plus he's a Regan era Conservative which means He's guilty of wrong think to the SJW diversity brigade that DC is pandering to so that means he's got to die.

Comment

Working...
                              X