Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 10-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #1101
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
As there's also a Queen of the Damned movie they're probably going to reboot the entire franchise. I have all the books till Memnoch the Devil but never read beyond The Body Thief which I didn't like very much.
I think there're 8 books in all, are there?
10 proper Vampire Chronicles books, 2 New Vampire Chronicles and a new Lestat book coming out on the 28th and another announced. [So by 2015 there will be a total of 14.]

I've read 1-5 (Memnoch is 5th, after Body Thief) plus Pandora (which is the first New Chronicles). From what I've already heard though, 1-5 were the basic Lestat story (I think there's a flashback Lestat, Louis, Claudia story in Blood Gold or one of the others), then she picked up with Armand (hoping to read that soon since he's my second favorite) and Merrick. The last 3 were Vampire-Witch crossovers, which served as a sequel both to the Chronicles and the Mayfair Witches trilogy.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #1102
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I have a lot of them in hardcover. I read through Memnoch (which was a lot better than Body Thief), and never got around to reading the Armand book or anything after. I always thought Hollywood missed the boat by not doing a real trilogy after the success of the Interview film. I don't consider that piece of garbage Queen of The Damned as counting; they should have brought Cruise back when it was hot and filmed The Vampire Lestat and left it on a cliffhanger...THEN did Queen Of The Damned properly.

Tale Of The Body Thief and Memnoch The Devil are passable, but the REAL story is in the first three books together.

I'm curious about the new Lestat book Rice is doing though; I may have to pick that one up.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #1103
Space Cop
The Dandy

The one thing I have to say about Queen is that Armand is much closer to what he looks like in the book (a young pretty boy red head).

But yeah, it would've been nice if they had done a legitimate Vampire Lestat and Queen.

I'm hoping to restart with Armand (I'm reading the two New Chronicles books in between the others based on when they were published) soon. Gotta finish her first werewolf book first.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-13-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #1104
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Thinking outloud about Rice, I haven't read her stuff since I was in highschool, but I distinctly remember loving Ramses the Damned. Always wished she had done a sequel to that.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:41 AM   #1105
Space Cop
The Dandy

Sorority House Massacre II (1990)

"Now we can have a little fun."

This was quite bad (not that I was expecting otherwise). Besides obvious continuity snafus (like a liquor bottle that's half empty then full) and bad acting, there are completely illogical bits like a couple cops who decide to ignore a disturbance call at a house that was the scene of an old murder (because it's raining?!?) in favor of re-interviewing a witness to the former crime (who happens to be a stripper, thus making one more excuse for t&a in addition to the sorority sisters that love undressing in front of each other and hang out in skimpy underwear).

Perhaps one redeeming quality is that they don't just repeat the slasher formula of #1, but have this killer awakened by some Ouiji action.

By the way, I have a hard time believing Joe Bob Briggs (whom I like) actually wrote that quote on the VHS cover. The tagline is also probably more clever than anything in the script.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-14-2014 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #1106
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
Tale Of The Body Thief and Memnoch The Devil are passable, but the REAL story is in the first three books together.
It's been a while but didn't Queen of the Damned end with a cliffhanger too, where Lestat loses his body?
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #1107
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
It's been a while but didn't Queen of the Damned end with a cliffhanger too, where Lestat loses his body?
No. Queen was really an ending in itself. So much so, that I assume Rice was prepared to end the series there if the fans or she didn't want to continue.

Body Thief picked up where Queen ended in the sense that all the characters are hanging around after Akasha's death, but basically Lestat is bored with the other vampires so he strikes out on his own again and comes into the circumstances (while stalking a murderer to drain) that lead to the transference.

Then, the events of Memnoch are really big for the vampire "community" and change the world. That was so climatic that Rice chose to make the next 4 books after (maybe all of them, I'm not sure until I finish them) prequels.

And, by the way, I'm not saying any of this like you should remember. I'll probably forget this stuff too when it's been ten years, but as it is I read Interview only about 4 or 5 years ago and the most recent book for me less than a year ago. It's still pretty fresh. Well, that and several trips to the Vampire Chronicles' Wiki to keep up to date.

Last edited by Space Cop; 10-14-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #1108
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Since I already got them, I'll finish Body Thief and Memnoch at some point. Hopefully.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #1109
Space Cop
The Dandy

Well, I think Body Thief is a fun story, especially getting Lestat's view of being human after two hundred years of not being. Memnoch, however, really intrigued me because it's quite metaphysical (you get the broad cosmology of Rice's vampire universe) but also keeps you guessing. That appealed to me as a student of religion and classic mythology. It's essentially Rice's version of Faust.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #1110
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The Lugosi/Karloff rivalry
Old 10-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #1111
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Cool read. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #1112
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

The Collector
This one was initially conceived as a possible story for the Saw franchise, but thank god it was made it's own. You can see some similarities in style but it was much better than any installments of the Saw franchise after the first movie.
I like the traps and the fact that you never really get to know the identity of the killer. He's just some sicko that likes to collect people.

Tremors
Classic trash and highly entertaining. Never seen any of the sequels though.

Cube Zero
Such a waste of time. While Hypercube was still entertaining, Zero had no rhythm in it's storytelling. You never really cared about the people in the cube as most of the attention goes to the monitoring guys. And then those men in black. So ridiculous and campy.
Only good part about the movie was the ending really, when you realize that it's actually the beginning of the original cube movie.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #1113
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
The Collector...
I think the sequel (The Collection) is decent too. Although, I did watch them out of order, so maybe that helped me go in with less sequels-suck prejudice.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #1114
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Yeah, I like to think The Collector is the Home Alone of horror movies. Which is a compliment

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #1115
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

So I just finished watching all 12 of the Friday the 13th/Jason movies. Kind of lost in my horror movie marathon for October now that it's over.

Here's how I'd rate the movies from favorite to least favorite, and some special awards to go along with them.

----------------

1. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

2. Friday the 13th

3: Friday the 13th Part 2

4: Friday the 13th (2009)

5. Jason X

6. Friday the 13th Part III

7. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

8. Freddy vs. Jason

9. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

10. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

11. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

12. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning

-------------

Kevin Baconi-est of the Kevin Bacon Award: Friday the 13th

Best Kill: Bitch(es) in the sleeping bag slung against the tree and each other - Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood and Jason X

Most Underrated Plot: Jason X

Most Badass Heroine and who I'd want in a fight against Jason: Chris Higgins - Friday the 13th Part III

Most Badass Hero: Sergeant Brodski - Jason X

Most Badass Android: Kay-Em 14 - Jason X

Most Interesting Way To Defeat Jason: Cosplaying as his Mother - Friday the 13th Part 2 and Friday the 13th (2009)

Most Interesting but convoluted bullshit way to revive Jason: Some spiritual, reincarnation with a snake creature that makes absolutely ZERO sense - Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

Worst plot device, in not only Friday the 13th history but maybe horror movie history - Having a halfway house full of psychopaths killing and beating each other to death not be a big deal, which leads to some copy cat bullshit. GOD I REALLY HATED Friday the 13th: A New Beginning

Worst Character, and that's saying a lot: Shelly - Friday the 13th Part III

Best Soundtrack: Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

Worst Cops: (Tie) Friday the 13th: A New Beginning and Freddy vs. Jason

Last edited by JohnnyV; 10-15-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #1116
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

You should watch a marathon of the superior horror icon next

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #1117
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
Worst plot device, in not only Friday the 13th history but maybe horror movie history - Having a halfway house full of psychopaths killing and beating each other to death not be a big deal, which leads to some copy cat bullshit. GOD I REALLY HATED Friday the 13th: A New Beginning

Worst Character, and that's saying a lot: Shelly - Friday the 13th Part III
Aw man, I LOVE part 5! So much fun in that movie with all those knuckleheads. I actually liked the copycat killer idea. LOL, could they have telegraphed it any louder that Roy the ambulance driver was going to be the killer? That great face he makes when he sees the fat teens' chopped up body? All the useless people that get an amusing line just to get the body count up? Demon? Reggie? Tits galore? Shitty angry teen dancing? The two greaser kids? The cokehead picking up the waitress? The redneck mother and son on the bike?

I feel like, for a shitty slasher film, they couldn't have packed any more awesome into that flick or it would have exploded!

And Shelly was one of my favorite parts of part 3! I wish he had made it to the end. Shelly was the real hero of part 3!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #1118
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Aw man, I LOVE part 5! So much fun in that movie with all those knuckleheads. I actually liked the copycat killer idea. LOL, could they have telegraphed it any louder that Roy the ambulance driver was going to be the killer? That great face he makes when he sees the fat teens' chopped up body? All the useless people that get an amusing line just to get the body count up? Demon? Reggie? Tits galore? Shitty angry teen dancing? The two greaser kids? The cokehead picking up the waitress? The redneck mother and son on the bike?

I feel like, for a shitty slasher film, they couldn't have packed any more awesome into that flick or it would have exploded!

And Shelly was one of my favorite parts of part 3! I wish he had made it to the end. Shelly was the real hero of part 3!

Forgot the tits award, it probably goes to Part V or the remake.

Shelly is the hero for no other reason than being part of the origin of how Jason gets his mask. But holy shit, what a clown shoes bullshit character...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
You should watch a marathon of the superior horror icon next
Marathon'd it a couple of years ago. Krueger is probably better than Jason, but not as interesting as Myers when it comes to horror movie icons.

Last edited by JohnnyV; 10-15-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #1119
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm itching to do two different horror marathons this month. Friday The 13th (like JohnnyV just did), and Saw. Not sure if I'll watch all 12 films, or just 1 through 5 before the zombie Jason comes back.

And I'm overdue for a Saw rewatch. I really enjoyed seeing those films on opening day when they were coming out. It became one of my favorite horror franchise series, and I love the interlocking story. I really enjoyed the first 6 movies and thought the last was terrible, except for the last ten minutes which were EXACTLY how I wanted the franchise to end.

Supposedly Lionsgate is working on a Saw part 8 right now. If they are going to undo that perfect ending, I hope it ends up being worth it.

I'm going to see Halloween and Halloween II back to back in a theater on the 30th, so with work I'm not going to end up doing that franchise as a marathon.

I just did a marathon of some of the Universal monster movies (the 5 Wolfman films and the Creature From the Black Lagoon trilogy). Going to see Frankenstein and Dracula as a double feature next week on the big screen. So that's scratching my Universal Monster itch.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #1120
Space Cop
The Dandy

Hatchet III (2013)

"I should have gone on the swamp tour."

Not bad for being the third in the series and the first without the creator (though he makes a funny cameo). It was crazy bloody.

Quote:
Most Interesting Way To Defeat Jason: Cosplaying as his Mother - Friday the 13th Part 2 and Friday the 13th (2009)
Cosplaying. I like that.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #1121
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
I'm itching to do two different horror marathons this month. Friday The 13th (like JohnnyV just did), and Saw. Not sure if I'll watch all 12 films, or just 1 through 5 before the zombie Jason comes back.

And I'm overdue for a Saw rewatch. I really enjoyed seeing those films on opening day when they were coming out. It became one of my favorite horror franchise series, and I love the interlocking story. I really enjoyed the first 6 movies and thought the last was terrible, except for the last ten minutes which were EXACTLY how I wanted the franchise to end.

Supposedly Lionsgate is working on a Saw part 8 right now. If they are going to undo that perfect ending, I hope it ends up being worth it.

I'm going to see Halloween and Halloween II back to back in a theater on the 30th, so with work I'm not going to end up doing that franchise as a marathon.

I just did a marathon of some of the Universal monster movies (the 5 Wolfman films and the Creature From the Black Lagoon trilogy). Going to see Frankenstein and Dracula as a double feature next week on the big screen. So that's scratching my Universal Monster itch.
I'm thinking Halloween might be next, been awhile since I've seen a lot of them. I typically watch the original once a year around Hallow's Eve, but the others..it's been awhile.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #1122
Space Cop
The Dandy

I've been randomly picking horror movies but I am watching a Scream movie every Sunday in October. I also plan to watch the three Dark Shadows movies.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #1123
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Marathon'd it a couple of years ago. Krueger is probably better than Jason, but not as interesting as Myers when it comes to horror movie icons.
But I wanna see what awards you'd make up....

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:55 AM   #1124
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
So I just finished watching all 12 of the Friday the 13th/Jason movies. Kind of lost in my horror movie marathon for October now that it's over.

Here's how I'd rate the movies from favorite to least favorite, and some special awards to go along with them.

----------------
Best Soundtrack: Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Mmmm.....I'm partial to VI's soundtrack because it contains some great Alice Cooper songs. I actually didn't discover them until a few years ago when I bought The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper box set, which had an unreleased track called "Hard Rock Summer" that not only fit the film, but described the 80's perfectly. That was in addition to "He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)" and "Teenage Frankenstein". After listening to them, I went back and watched VI again to see where the songs fit in, and they sounded great.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #1125
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

You're an Alice Cooper fan? Me too! I've seen him three times live!