The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV
View Poll Results: How do you personally feel about SW: TRoS, right now?
Greatly looking forward to it! 1 16.67%
Mildly looking forward to it 1 16.67%
I'm cautiously optimistic 3 50.00%
I have no interest in it 0 0%
I want it to go away 0 0%
I actively spit bile at it 0 0%
Eh, show me another trailer and maybe I'll be on board 1 16.67%
Star Wars is dead to me 0 0%
Other (explain) 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default How do you feel about Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

What is your personal feeling for the upcoming Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker?

6 months to go...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I'm not a huge fan of Abrams on established franchises (Super 8 was great though). And IX has the potential to make VII and VIII a lot worse retroactively.

But I still believe that it can just as well mend a few bridges and restore balance to the fandom.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Abrams on established franchises (Super 8 was great though). And IX has the potential to make VII and VIII a lot worse retroactively.
Also, IX requires Abrams to do something he's never really done anywhere... give a satisfying ending.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:29 AM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Also, IX requires Abrams to do something he's never really done anywhere... give a satisfying ending.
What, Super 8 ended fine.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:09 AM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

After the utter trainwreck that was The Last Jedi, I really need this to end on a high note. I am in no way assuming it will, it will take a lot for this movie to cleanse the palette and also retroactively connive me into feeling like there was a roadmap for this trilogy.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
What, Super 8 ended fine.
Eh.... did it? It just sort of stopped. The monster is gone... he basically just copied the ending of E.T. except if E.T. was less gentle and if the audience doesn't care about E.T..

Which is J.J.'s other go to. When in doubt, emulate Spielburgh.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #7
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Eh.... did it? It just sort of stopped. The monster is gone... he basically just copied the ending of E.T. except if E.T. was less gentle and if the audience doesn't care about E.T..

Which is J.J.'s other go to. When in doubt, emulate Spielburgh.
Spielberg...with lensflare!!!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I'm somewhere between spitting bile at it and just wanting it to not exist/go away.

Force Awakens was barely watchable, nearly every aspect was poorly done. I'm only watching the throne room fight for Last Jedi and immediately mailing the disc back. Given that Disney refuses to make good main films and dumps all their talent into the side stories (which I very much enjoy, because they're at least good), then I'm not going to waste my time with a piss-awful attempt at continuing this series of train wrecks.

I'll enjoy the comics, maybe the games and novels, and a few films, but the main series ended with Return of the Jedi.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
...the main series ended with Return of the Jedi.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

So...

It sounds like Palpatine's 30 Star Destroyers are all remote-controlled (?!) from some main Star Destroyer, so when the Resistance destroys that main Star Destroyer, all of the others just fall into the planet's atmosphere and go boom? It really is that stupid?
Old 12-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #11
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

/\ well...let's be fair....there *was* some outside help. (Being cautious with my words because spoilers and all that)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

People often throw around "_____ killed my childhood!" or conversely, "What a bunch of whiners saying ____ killed their childhood!"... but this is the closest example of something I could ever say the former about. Because it kind of did.

Pretty much all my middle school/high school years, I was plugged into the Star Wars EU. And computer games, like Rebel Assault and the X-Wing, TIE-Fighter games. When episodes I-III were announced in the mid 90s, I dared to dream, "Wow... maaaybe one day, one day they'll do VII-IX. Wouldn't that be amazing?" When I was like 12, we would occasionally rent VHS tapes and record them in sh**ty quality on a second VHS player. I had IV, V, and VI recorded onto a single VHS tape, written by hand by me on the front and side. I remember setting aside a tape for I-III, for when they'd come out, and also VII-IX. I couldn't wait to one day record them on them. I'd wonder, "Hmmm... if they happen, will they set VII-IX 30 years later, so they leapfrog over all of the novel and comic stuff? I wonder what'll happen! I wonder what cool things Luke will do! I bet he can, like, pull capital ships down from orbit now." The sky was the limit! But no matter what would happen with new characters and torch passing or whatever... at least surely some truly magical new stuff with Luke, Leia and Han, right? It wasn't even a question in my head.

And then the Disney sale announcement, simultaneous to the VII-IX announcement. Many were skeptical, but I remained positive. This could be AMAZING! Then fast forward to the VII first trailer. "We're home, Chewie!" Eh, some concerns, maybe, but my enthusiasm was undeterred.

Then VII comes out. Eh. After my reactions ranging from "Whoo-hoo! Han is back!" to "this is just a f***ing remake, plain and simple," ultimately I more or less accept it as a movie that doesn't do anything new but kind of adequately sets the table for VIII and IX to do new, cool stuff. Morons would say, "JJ had no choice but to do a IV remake, after the horrible state Star Wars was left in after the terrible prequels! NOW whoever does VIII and IX is free to move forward!" Utter nonsense, but fine. We'll circle back in 2 years for VIII and hopefully everything VII sets up will pay off and we can hop off the circlejerk express.

VIII comes out. There was about a week after it came out where I was kind of still in a state of shock (not literally, but basically) for what I'd seen. I so much wanted to see new things and not, say, an V remake, I was temporarily willing to forgive so much. But then it set in -- the entire (potential) saving grace of VII was everything it set up. Little things, a vague line here and there, potential character turns that are setup, payoffs of random characters appearing at all, the big meeting with Rey and Luke... every single thing that VII setup, VIII threw out the window. Smugly. With laughter and "Thor: Ragnarok" one-liners. And it didn't stop there. Not content to tear down what little VII brought as a trilogy starter, it had to then tear down the conventions of Star Wars itself. Everything we ever thought was important in Star Wars, let alone this new trilogy... nope, none of it matters. Kill it. All the while bringing absolutely nothing new or interesting to the table and forgetting to give us even one thing to look forward to at the end of the movie, or any villainous threat left to stamp out. Kylo? We hardly are calling for his head at the end of the movie or anything.

Then the 2 years between VIII and IX. Two movies wasted now and nothing left to look forward to, my Star Wars enthusiasm is all but killed, just sort of coasting on life support, maybe the hope against hope that somehow, some way IX will surprise the hell out of me and turn the ship around with only the one episode to go. Mandalorian? Meh... cool, I guess, but it's not ever going to repair the self-inflicted sequel trilogy-sized hole that exists right now.

So IX comes out. Some moments are OK but it's laughably too busy. Sleight of hand to take your eye off the fact that nothing is actually happening. Nothing seems earned, no one really has discernible character arcs, and there is no sense of stakes or logic with the 2nd giant mystery Imperial fleet or Emperor return. Like VII, IX relies solely on nostalgia. "Remember when the Falcon did twists and turns down the corridor and shot back at TIE Fighters?" "Remember the Emperor throne room?" How sad that the only movie in this trilogy allowed to do anything new -- VIII -- was only interested in committing seppuku.

So yeah. If my enthusiasm for Star Wars was on life support between VIII and IX, IX put it out of its misery. The mercy kill.

Retroactively, how sad is it that in all the years and decades to come, whether you're popping in Episode I for a marathon run all the way through or Episode IV for an OT rewatch, or even showing them to your kids... no matter what you're about to see in those movies, you will always and forever know deep down the story will invariably arrive at the sequel trilogy. All of the heroes' sacrifices and journies... they all end up amounting to a whole big pit of nothing.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #13
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Man, this movie was SO bad. It has just nuked my love and dedication to Star Wars. I at least LIKED TFA. And also Rogue One. But after that it's been a total trainwreck. I pretty much loathe TLJ and TRoS for different reasons, and that's 2/3rds of the trilogy, making it an epic fail for me.

I really enjoyed the Mandolorian, but TRoS might be the final nail in the coffin for my inner fanboy needing to see and support everything Star Wars that I was supporting. From now on its going to be a case by case thing...IF I can muster up the enthusiasm to care.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

I liked the film, and felt that it actually retroactively made The Last Jedi better and justified the existence of the sequel trilogy as a part of the saga. Was it perfect? No. But it wasn't terrible, either.

As far as base enjoyment goes, it was in the top tier of the films, for me. Up by Sith and Empire, even. I get why some people didn't like it, as it very much seemed like it was trying to be two episodes worth of story in one, but that's more The Last Jedi's fault for adding nothing of substance to the proceedings. But hey, opinions are opinions, and even Abrams said that not everyone was going to like it, so there ya go.

At least we can all agree that The Mandalorian is awesome, so that's something.