The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
redlantern9396
Kyle's Nude Model
 
redlantern9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Default Why has kyle had so many costumes ?

hay i wanted to know why kyle rayner had so many costumes yet i swear hal jordan is the only lantern who has the same costume even as other lantern versions
redlantern9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe
 
Robinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 12,073
Default

jordans had variation of the same costume, and he's not very imaginative.

Kyle's an artist and likes to be creative with shit.
__________________
Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
rdhanded2
Manhunter Repairman
 
rdhanded2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 313
Default

I was just thinking about this the other day. I would be changing mine all the time.
__________________
rdhanded2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe
 
Dr. Naysay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,423
Default

Because he's FABULOUS!!!

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee
 
A_Q Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 292
Cool

Haha! Poor and fabulous? I wanna look cool, cant I?! Glow in dark armour!
__________________
Let Ther Be LIGHT! Evil Beware My Powers!!!
A_Q Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
Sam
Kyle's Nude Model
 
Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25
Default

They explained it years ago I think when Kyle said he just gets bored with the same thing and likes to change it up.

The real world answer is that editors often seemed to do it to mark a change in direction for him. Until he became Ion, he had the same costume. Then he reignited the battery and changed costume again, then he became Ion a second time, then he became one of the Corps instead of the last. Virtually every costume chance has accompanied a change in the focus of the character as he relates to the GL mythos as a whole. That's how I see it anyway.

Last edited by Sam; 12-25-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
ns2
Your Clash At Demonhead
 
ns2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,433
Default

what ^^^^ said
__________________
Winner of THE INFAMOUS PEOPLE DRAFT 2011

ns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
redlantern9396
Kyle's Nude Model
 
redlantern9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Default

thanks for all the great answers keep them up i love to hear them all
redlantern9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe
 
Mister.Weirdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,858
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Artists like to change up characters looks all the time. Kyle's not the only character to go through different variations.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles
 
Marvelous Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 20,112
Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Artists like to change up characters looks all the time. Kyle's not the only character to go through different variations.

Everyone in the 90's had a costume change.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 12,106
Default

When Kyle was introduced, his creators were asked to make him as different from Hal as possible. Jordan's sales were atrocious despite great stories by Gerard Jones, and that's why they wanted to distance themselves as far as possible from what had come before. Later creative teams couldn't decide if Kyle should be more like Hal or not, and so they switched him back and forth.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
lantern1055
Green Lantern Initiate
 
lantern1055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 467
Default

I always thought it was because he was the GL Barbie....
__________________

www.gothamsfinest.org
lantern1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #13
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 12,106
Default

That's because you're wrong.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #14
redlantern9396
Kyle's Nude Model
 
redlantern9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern1055 View Post
I always thought it was because he was the GL Barbie....
i frickin love that answer keep up with the answers again i love rading them
redlantern9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:09 AM   #15
Bat22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default


As much as I frown on the Alley Rat, his original costume remains my favorite. My only issues with it were [1] that it was treated as so distinctive of him compared to Hal's breed when there were a number of radical versions worn by Corpsmen, and [2] that it's insignia looked more like a stylized yin yang rather than lantern.

And, now that I've given Kyle props, I must restore balance... Rawke FTW!

Last edited by Bat22; 01-02-2011 at 04:11 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #16
Kuhan
Moderator
 
Kuhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: A town called Bel-Air
Posts: 7,743
Blog Entries: 3
Send a message via ICQ to Kuhan Send a message via AIM to Kuhan Send a message via MSN to Kuhan Send a message via Yahoo to Kuhan Send a message via Skype™ to Kuhan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
Because he's FABULOUS!!!

Is that a horse in a dress?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat22 View Post

As much as I frown on the Alley Rat, his original costume remains my favorite. My only issues with it were [1] that it was treated as so distinctive of him compared to Hal's breed when there were a number of radical versions worn by Corpsmen, and [2] that it's insignia looked more like a stylized yin yang rather than lantern.

And, now that I've given Kyle props, I must restore balance... Rawke FTW!
__________________
[center]

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #17
lantern1055
Green Lantern Initiate
 
lantern1055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
That's because you're wrong.
Ok so then he is GL Ken.... But that means he doesn't get the dream house.
__________________

www.gothamsfinest.org
lantern1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
redlantern9396
Kyle's Nude Model
 
redlantern9396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern1055 View Post
Ok so then he is GL Ken.... But that means he doesn't get the dream house.
no sorry but think about hit him and GL barvie can share a green corvet
__________________
fear for the win
redlantern9396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:54 AM   #19
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 16,551
Default

The real reason is that Hal is an iconic character while Kyle is not. You can play around a LOT with a character that you already know doesn't stand the test of time. I don't mean this as an insult to the character. It's a double edged sword for BOTH characters.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern
 
Sylent_Asassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern California Valley
Posts: 16,419
Blog Entries: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlantern9396 View Post
Why has kyle had so many costumes ?
To bleed more money from Action figure completists.
__________________
Sylent_Asassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.