No announcement yet.

The Hollywood thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, a friend told me about a Twitter challenge I thought was fun, which is to name your favorite movie for each letter in your name. I actually did all three parts of my name and listed my second and third favorites when letters repeated, but it's probably best to stick to first names here on the board:

Jaws
    Outlaw Josey Wales, The
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan*
    Highlander
    Unforgiven
    Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, The

*This was the most challenging for me as I'm equally torn over The Searchers and Scarface (1983), but I don't have another S in my name.

I'm going with favorites as opposed to what I think is the best movie "objectively" with that letter.
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 10-31-2018, 02:55 AM.

Comment

+ YouTube Video
      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        So, a friend told me about a Twitter challenge I thought was fun, which is to name your favorite movie for each letter in your name. I actually did all three parts of my name and listed my second and third favorites when letters repeated, but it's probably best to stick to first names here on the board:

Jaws
        Outlaw Josey Wales, The
        Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan*
        Highlander
        Unforgiven
        Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, The

*This was the most challenging for me as I'm equally torn over The Searchers and Scarface (1983), but I don't have another S in my name.

I'm going with favorites as opposed to what I think is the best movie "objectively" with that letter.
        Oh that's kind of cool!

Comment

Treasure of the Sierra Madre
          Rebel Without a Cause
          East of Eden
          Yellow Sky

It's funny I had two of James Dean's three movies listed among my four.

Comment

^I don't think I've seen Yellow Sky. The other three are great.

Comment

There just aren't a lot of movies that start with Y, but I'll say that at minimum Yellow Sky was very, very good. The death of screenwriter Lamar Trotti four years later at 52 was a big loss for Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                There just aren't a lot of movies that start with Y, but I'll say that at minimum Yellow Sky was very, very good. The death of screenwriter Lamar Trotti four years later at 52 was a big loss for Hollywood.
                As much of a Beatles fan as I am and would be tempted to say Yellow Submarine, if I had a "Y" to deal with, I'd probably be torn between Yojimbo and Young Frankenstein.

Comment

Some folks online are calling for all movies about Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood and King Arthur to be retired. I agree with that.

Comment

Some folks online are calling for all movies about Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood and King Arthur to be retired. I agree with that.
                    Ha. I could see that, though I believe it's theoretically possible in each case that there's still a good movie out there. The last Sherlock I liked was Condon's Mr. Holmes (McCellan). The last Hood I liked (not loved) was Ridley Scott's (Crowe). And the last Arthur I liked was Fuqua's that re-cast him (Owen) as a fourth-century Roman centurion. Those were 2015, 2010, and 2004 respectively, so I don't feel completely hopeless yet.

Comment

Have you noticed that more and more new television shows are set before the 1990s or after an apocalypse?

That's because writers are finding themselves stifled when trying to write about the modern world, where everything is under video surveillance and everyone has a cell phone. Investigations now are about people entering data into computers and yelling "Aha!' when the results pop up. There's only so much you can do under that scenario, and it's already worn out.

Meanwhile, the modern world is just becoming more and more that way.

Comment

I'll try this game. Though I'm probably not giving it enough thought.

Jurassic Park
                        One Hundred and One Dalmations
                        Star Trek: First Contact
                        The Highlander
                        Up
                        Apollo 13

I just skimmed through some lists on Wikipedia, and stuck with whatever one I noticed that I felt like I'd most want to watch again soon. I'm sure people could suggest others that would be better that I just didn't think of.

Comment

Have you noticed that more and more new television shows are set before the 1990s or after an apocalypse?
                          It's funny; I don't actually watch much TV, but I literally just saw a Youtube ad for a show set in the 90s.

In horror movies, if they don't go back, they have to come up with some excuse like the protagonist dropped their cellphone or the killer has a modem blocker.

Comment

This is why the crime rate is dropping so sharply. You're going to get videotaped and caught almost every time.

Batman was always a goofy concept, but now it's completely untenable. In a world filled with drones, video cameras and cell phones, how is Bruce Wayne not going to get unmasked immediately?

Hell, just the unusual stuff he has delivered to his home would unmask him. You think that's not going to get noticed nowadays?

I think eventually comics too will have to go back to 1980s or earlier.

Comment

It's funny. For a long time, "period piece" was an epithet and the kiss of death for a movie or a television show. Everything had to be modern and "hip." That trend is what killed Westerns.

But the modern world has become increasingly unwritable when the stories are about the investigation and solving of crimes, which is at the crux of most dramas. You can still write a soap opera that's set in the modern world, or a comedy, or a medical show, but modern cop stories are becoming more problematic all the time.
                              Trey Strain
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-08-2019, 12:16 AM.

Comment

...Yellow Sky...

Found it on Youtube (nice, clear copy too) and watched it today. It was great. The third act reminds me of Treasure of the Sierra Madre with how no-one can be trusted with the gold. It was interesting that in a movie at the height of the Hays Code they did a story centered on bank robbers, but they did get to moralize it by the end. The Death Valley locations were cool (no pun intended) and apparently this film is noted for its cinematography as well as the music.

There's a pretty good brief interview with the director's son about how Peck at first didn't and then did fit in with the cast and crew.

+ YouTube Video
                                ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 01-08-2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X