FLASHCHAT

General

Old 11-06-2018, 04:06 AM   #3426
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Halloween II (1981)
Wow. I write like two sentences. Your review is more in-depth than a newspaper movie critique.

Quote:
...This film is better than I remember, but not as good as I was hoping. I got the 30th Ann edition on Blu-ray, which apparently is the inferior version because the two-disc Special Edition pays respects to Moustapha Akkad and has more bonus material ...
That's a dangerous rabbit hole; searching for the best version. I've been disappointed many times to find out that I got a version but there's a better transfer or a set with many more features. But I do still try to get the best disc.

Quote:
...I like that Michael doesn't kill (or eat) any dogs in this film. . .
Is the dog killing somehow worse than killing teens who aren't even old enough to vote?

Quote:
...The hot tub cooking was not thought out especially well, because water doesn't even boil at 100* F, and people take showers that average well above that (it make me think of the liquid nitrogen head-freeze kill from Jason X, though). . .
I know the hot tub bit is so ridiculous, but it's also so fun. My favorite kill in the movie and one of my favs in the series.

Quote:
...The Plot Device. I'm not saying it didn't add a new and interesting angle to things and provide a motive for why Michael was after Laurie to begin with, but this again works both ways. . .
Yeah, making them siblings weakens the first movie since it removes Michael's spooky randomness, but it seems like a relatively good move if you're making a franchise and have to add some twists and motivations. I guess Michael just walked past Laurie's room and her toddler self sleeping a crib that fateful night.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-06-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #3427
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Halloween came out when I was very little so when I watched them as a kid it was back to back on tv. I just accepted them being siblings as the way it was. It took me a long time to realize that wasn't the original intention. Now it seems clear to me the better course is Laurie and Michael being strangers and I am glad they finally broke that bit of business up. But I still have a strong love and bit of nostalgia for Halloween II. I really enjoyed reading your review Agent Purple. I didn't skim over any of it and soaked up everything you had to say. Very well written and thought out.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #3428
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Plus, I did a rewatch of all 11 films just last week so this movie is still on my mind. I think it's one of the sequels that holds up the best over time.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #3429
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Wow. I write like two sentences. Your review is more in-depth than a newspaper movie critique.
I think you've said something to this effect before. While I like giving out comprehensive reviews for good films, I have to admit that when I watch a film with a fair bit of flaws to it, I tend to mouth off quite a lot about those, too. I think this is one of those that has an odd sort of balance, so it hits both categories for me.

Quote:
That's a dangerous rabbit hole; searching for the best version. I've been disappointed many times to find out that I got a version but there's a better transfer or a set with many more features. But I do still try to get the best disc.
Unfortunately, companies don't always do proper releases even when they really have plenty of options to include on any given release and owe it to both viewers and the material itself to do quality work when putting out a home release. The Terminator is another film that has never had a really great Blu-ray, because there are two or three editions, I think, and only one has a quality sound transfer or some such (every time I think about buying it on Blu-ray, I keep having to look for which version is the best, and then have to go through paragraphs on message boards of people dissecting the editions so that I don't get screwed, all because FOX just cannot bring themselves to release a decent transfer of it that satisfies all fans' needs).

Quote:
Is the dog killing somehow worse than killing teens who aren't even old enough to vote?
It's mostly me, I'd say, but also partly that the films really feel like they have to include him killing dogs for some bullshit reason or another. I love animals, and while I'm more of a cat person, I do like dogs very much. I know that animals can be trained to understand that they're just playing, basically, but it just unnerves me to various degrees to see them come to even pretend harm (which is usually the point, I know that). It's part of the reason that even though the dog scene in The Thing is absolutely amazing, I absolutely will skip it on repeat viewings because it disturbs me to such a degree as an animal person (again, that's the point, to scare me of the monster and make me empathize with the horror of the victims).

Quote:
Yeah, making them siblings weakens the first movie since it removes Michael's spooky randomness, but it seems like a relatively good move if you're making a franchise and have to add some twists and motivations. I guess Michael just walked past Laurie's room and her toddler self sleeping a crib that fateful night.
As much grief as Zombie's films get, at least the first one had a coherent and sensible timeline. That moment when the adults come home and Michael is sitting out front with the baby is just as horrific as what Carpenter did, because a parent immediately worries that something is dangerously wrong, at the very least heavily confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Halloween came out when I was very little so when I watched them as a kid it eas back to back on tv. I just accepted them being siblings as the way it was. It took me a long time to realize that wasn't the original intention. Now it seems clear to me the better course is Laurie and Michael being strangers and I am glad they finally broke that bit of business up. But I still have a strong love and bit of nostalgia for Halloween II. I really enjoyed reading your review Agent Purple. I didn't skim over any of it and soaked up everything you had to say. Very well written and thought out.
Thank you, really. I grew up watching I on VHS (my parents taped it, I would watch it constantly as a little kid because it wasn't that scary but it was a cool horror film, and my mom would tell us about seeing it in theaters back in 1978. I don't know when I learned they were siblings, because I think I saw II after I saw 6 (got that off a sitter the last day she was watching us), but I don't think I paid attention to the "family business" end of things or how little sense it actually made even back then.

I'll see H2018 soon enough, I hope (Netflix to the rescue).

Quote:
Plus, I did a rewatch of all 11 films just last week so this movie is still on my mind. I think it's one of the sequels that holds up the best over time.
In a lot of ways, it does hold up rather well. Early enough in the franchise that it isn't bogged down with all the continuity and worn-path repetitions of the sequels, plenty of charm even with its snags. Brave man, sitting through all of that, because I know I couldn't (seriously, I will never touch 5 again, not even a dirt-cheap copy on standard DVD).
Old 11-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #3430
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I think you've said something to this effect before. While I like giving out comprehensive reviews for good films, I have to admit that when I watch a film with a fair bit of flaws to it, I tend to mouth off quite a lot about those, too. I think this is one of those that has an odd sort of balance, so it hits both categories for me...
Well, it's not a criticism. I read them and it makes me think or rethink.
Yeah, I think I get wordier for movies I like, but I'd have to check. I tend to only say anything when it's my first viewing (unless I want to highlight an anniversary).
Probably down-the-middle movies are harder to talk about.

Quote:
The Terminator is another film that has never had a really great Blu-ray...
I have the British BD for that, which plays fine on my PS3.

Quote:
It's mostly me, I'd say, but also partly that the films really feel like they have to include him killing dogs for some bullshit reason or another. I love animals, and while I'm more of a cat person, I do like dogs very much...
I think I actually do the same thing. In real life, if I had just enough time to save a dog or a person from a fire, I'm going for the human, but in slashers somehow killing a pet is more uncomfortable than a whole chain of teens. Probably the feeling that animals are cuter and seem more helpless and innocent.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-07-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #3431
BLACK HAND
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Halloween came out when I was very little so when I watched them as a kid it was back to back on tv. I just accepted them being siblings as the way it was. It took me a long time to realize that wasn't the original intention. Now it seems clear to me the better course is Laurie and Michael being strangers and I am glad they finally broke that bit of business up. But I still have a strong love and bit of nostalgia for Halloween II. I really enjoyed reading your review Agent Purple. I didn't skim over any of it and soaked up everything you had to say. Very well written and thought out.
Halloween II is my most watched in the series, I would go weeks where it would lull me into sleep every night, but even I was never a fan of the sibling nonsense. Michael fixated on her because she dropped the key off at his door, then enticed him with her little "just the two of us" lullaby, like a come hither and play.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #3432
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAND View Post
...Michael fixated on her because she dropped the key off at his door, then enticed him with her little "just the two of us" lullaby, like a come hither and play.
Agreed. And the other girls bought it because they were associated and in the way of Laurie.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #3433
BLACK HAND

Quote:
Agreed. And the other girls bought it because they were associated and in the way of Laurie.
I felt like their orbit around Laurie certainly drew the attention of Myers, but I think his real obsession is Judith, and every murder he commits is an attempt to recapture the thrill of his first but never quite capturing it, like chasing the dragon. Any young woman of babysitting age is really in danger when they cross his path, which is scarier than the whole "he only goes after blood relatives" bit.

I've seen the new Halloween 3 times in theater so far, hoping for a 4th in IMAX. Overlord tonight!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:30 AM   #3434
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

So I was browsing the trivia section for An American Werewolf in London to learn which version of Blue Moon was used in the film, and I stumbled across a blurb about Max Landis (John's son) writing-directing a remake on the film (apparently this came to light in 2016 or thereabouts?).

Shit, man, I thought the Paris flick was already pretty damn good as a follow-up, but a full-blown remake by the original director's son would be something to behold.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #3435
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'd be shocked if his son's remake ever sees the light of day. I really don't think it's going to get made.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #3436
Space Cop
The Dandy

I really don't need every horror movie I love to be remade or rebooted. I don't have any particular attachment to Max Landis' work. The one comic of his I read I neither loved nor hated. Chronicle was an alright movie (but he didn't direct). I have no idea how similar his sensibilities are to his father's.

That said, I'd definitely see it eventually. I see pretty much any werewolf movie I come across.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-10-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #3437
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
I'd be shocked if his son's remake ever sees the light of day. I really don't think it's going to get made.
Yeah, it's probably going to stay in Development Hell forever, like the Dune remake I've been waiting probably 10+ years for.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #3438
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Got super-lucky and found a fairly cheap listing on eBay for the steelbook limited edition of the Blu-ray for London (the one with the blue brick wall, red ring, and the blue elongated hand dragging through it). Total price including tax was only $18.83, brand new.

It'll make a beautiful addition to my collection.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #3439
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Nice!
Old 11-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #3440
BLACK HAND

Quote:
So I was browsing the trivia section for An American Werewolf in London to learn which version of Blue Moon was used in the film, and I stumbled across a blurb about Max Landis (John's son) writing-directing a remake on the film (apparently this came to light in 2016 or thereabouts?).

Shit, man, I thought the Paris flick was already pretty damn good as a follow-up, but a full-blown remake by the original director's son would be something to behold.
Yeah I heard that news a while back, where it will be female led and by Max Landis, but I have no expectation whatsoever that it will be a worthy follow up to the original, which I rate the best in the werewolf genre. Still I'm willing to sit through just about any werewolf movie.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #3441
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...Still I'm willing to sit through just about any werewolf movie.
Thank you; good to meet another werewolf junkie.

BTW

"Rogue Hunter"
Old 11-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #3442
BLACK HAND

Ravenous Temptress here haha.....sounds like a werewolf chick. Hello Howling 2.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #3443
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

You're a slutty werewolf!

I would be Ancient Fire. Huh.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #3444
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

"Moon Beast"

Well thanks, as if I wasn't generic enough!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:24 PM   #3445
Space Cop
The Dandy

^MST3K riffed a movie called Track of the Moon Beast. It's not a proper werewolf though; more of a person infected by an alien meteor.

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #3446
BLACK HAND

I actually have that movie as part of a 50 pack of horror "classics". It was 20 bucks for the whole deal, totally worth it for the B-movie bozo.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #3447
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I actually have that movie as part of a 50 pack of horror "classics". It was 20 bucks for the whole deal, totally worth it for the B-movie bozo.
I have a horror set like that. I've been thinking about another set of 200 drive-in/cult movies for $27 on Amazon, but I've only heard of a handful of them and I know (like the horror set) it will be poor transfers with no subtitles or special features. Still, at a certain point, quantity over quality makes sense and I could always upgrade any hidden gems I find in the set.
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #3448
BLACK HAND

Weeding through them is part of the fun. There is nothing that is stellar but certainly some gonzo films are mixed throughout, I think Christmas Evil and Scream Bloody Murder were the best out of my pack.
Old Today, 04:58 AM   #3449
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Thank you; good to meet another werewolf junkie.

BTW

"Rogue Hunter"

You know that single name thing sparked a whole meme revolution about Moon Moon, perhaps the greatest meme of all the intarwebs?

Here's a brief history:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/yI5ko
Old Today, 05:33 AM   #3450
Space Cop
The Dandy

So, I just watched the Blumhouse movie Truth or Dare. This was nowhere near as bad as Stuckman's Hilariocity review led me to believe. They actually do a decent job of explaining the rules/origin and instead of copping out of why these kids wouldn't just pick truth every time in a demon-haunted game, they give a good reason why it can't be more than two truths in a row.

I would agree with Stuckman that the demon look is total derp face.

And the ending blows a lot of the stronger points, but it wasn't unwatchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
You know that single name thing sparked a whole meme revolution about Moon Moon, perhaps the greatest meme of all the intarwebs?

Here's a brief history

And, no, I didn't. That's why we need you to educate us on what's hep.

Last edited by Space Cop; Today at 02:07 PM.