The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV
View Poll Results: What's your FAVORITE Rocky movie?
Rocky 3 75.00%
Rocky II 1 25.00%
Rocky III 0 0%
Rocky IV 0 0%
Rocky V 0 0%
Rocky Balboa 0 0%
Creed 0 0%
Creed II 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default The "Rocky" thread

What are your best memories from the movies? How would you rate them now?

It's funny, I did my big rewatchathon a couple weeks ago leading to Creed 2 of which my daughter saw part 1 (Rocky 1, not Creed 1) with us. She loved it. So now one a day, give or take, the days that I've had her since, we've been trudging through them together (for me, again) one by one.

My 11 year old daughter's perspective:

* Rocky 3 is the best one, because she really wanted to see Clubber getting smashed to ribbons. Because she believes he killed Mickey.

* Drago is super scary. And now she knows what steroids are.

* Tommy Gunn is the best Rocky villain/opponent over Drago or Lang or Apollo because he got between Rocky and his son. I had to respect this opinion and it gives new perspective into Rocky V.

* She loved all of the training montages. But she says the training montage in "Rocky Balboa" is hands down the best because of the dog, "Punchy."

My personal rankings, in 2019, of all the movies:

C1
C2
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

Rocky is like local for me and that makes it personal. Philly is less than 45 minutes away and around here what most people mean if they refer to "the city." #1 is a classic. Every other one (I haven't seen Creed 2 yet) has bits I really like, but #5 is on the bottom for me.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
but #5 is on the bottom for me.
I think in hindsight, the more Rocky movies we get (Rocky Balboa, Creed 1 and 2)... the better Rocky V retroactively becomes. Never great, but a lot better, or at least necessary. You certainly can't jump from 4 to 6.

Since it's no longer "The End" it's non-offensive, to me. That wasn't always the case.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I agree. I think one of the biggest problems was that they were going to end that way.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
HalFingJordan
Alpha-Lantern

Part 2 had the best training montage of any Rocky movie, possibly of any movie at all in any milieu.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.
HalFingJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalFingJordan View Post
Part 2 had the best training montage of any Rocky movie, possibly of any movie at all in any milieu.
It's so in line the first that I mix them in my head and I've heard other people do that . . . "Hey, remember in Rocky when he chases the chicken?" "That's Rocky II?" "You sure?"

It's probably better overall, but it's not as iconic as the first run through town and up the steps.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:13 PM   #7
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

C1,
C2,

Old 08-07-2019, 11:16 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Now, when I was a kid? I rated them like this:

Old 08-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah the more superheroic ones like 3 and 4 were a lot better when we were kids. They don't age well for me at all as an adult. 3 4 and 5 are the bottom of the Rocky barrel in my book now.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:46 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Yeah the more superheroic ones like 3 and 4 were a lot better when we were kids. They don't age well for me at all as an adult. 3 4 and 5 are the bottom of the Rocky barrel in my book now.
Large parts of 3 are pretty "cringey" now (especially Stallone and Weathers' choice of shirts in the beach scene). 4 really sticks out now... the "climb the mountain" part is still epic, but now you really notice things. Paulie's robot with fully sentient A.I., the strange fake glowing devices plugged into Drago's workout equipment made to look sci-fi... the extra (and unneeded) montage out of nowhere when Rocky gets in his car and just starts driving...
Old 08-08-2019, 12:11 AM   #11
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah. And seeing Rocky being rich and successful really kills rooting for him as an underdog. The score for part 4 is nowhere near as fun.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:13 AM   #12
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm in love with Creed and Creed II currently. I don't know how well they will hold up over time but they are terrific now. I hope they wrap Adonis' story up in part III and walk away from the series. That word make me happy.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:18 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Yeah. And seeing Rocky being rich and successful really kills rooting for him as an underdog. The score for part 4 is nowhere near as fun.
All guitar, pretty much. I like the score during the fight at the end, though.

Quote:
I'm in love with Creed and Creed II currently. I don't know how well they will hold up over time but they are terrific now. I hope they wrap Adonis' story up in part III and walk away from the series. That word make me happy.
I wouldn't mind a new Creed movie every 3 years or so. I'd love to see Clubber Lang again, humbled in his old age. I miss having actors as the bad guys in Rocky movies. We haven't had that since 4.

Do you remember when Stallone said he was retiring Rocky with Creed II? Well, not so. Stallone wants to do Rocky 7 where Rocky trains an illegal immigrant (perhaps to offset reactions to Rambo 5 where he blows away a whole cartel?), also a Rocky prequel series.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/rocky-pr...ster-stallone/

Eh... I dunno.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #14
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Ugh. He should just do Creed III and let it all end there.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Ugh. He should just do Creed III and let it all end there.
I think he's a little aware that with Creed 3 the natural push would be to kill off Rocky ala Mickey... and the ego is kicking in a little bit. He's not ready to kill off Rocky yet, and not in somebody else's series.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #16
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

It's difficult for me to pick a favorite. This franchise has so many memorable characters and visuals that it's not surprising to me that it has endured for over 40 years.

What hasn't aged well is the boxing, especially in the first 4 films. If you've ever watched an actual boxing match (and I have to assume that most Rocky fans have), then you know that a ref isn't going to let a match continue if one boxer is taking an enormous amount of punishment. At one point in Rocky 3, Rocky dishes out something like 27 unanswered blows to Clubber. In Rocky 4, Drago knocks Rocky down an insane amount of times with no stoppage or standing 8 count. I didn't notice how unrealistic this was until I was a teenager.

I've noticed that Stallone has improved the boxing since Rocky Balboa. He's combined that with fresh characters and satisfying twists for old ones. It's been amazing to see a small, gritty story about a unknown boxer turn into a phenomenon that's unfolded over more than 4 decades.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
...What hasn't aged well is the boxing, especially in the first 4 films. If you've ever watched an actual boxing match (and I have to assume that most Rocky fans have), then you know that a ref isn't going to let a match continue if one boxer is taking an enormous amount of punishment. At one point in Rocky 3, Rocky dishes out something like 27 unanswered blows to Clubber. In Rocky 4, Drago knocks Rocky down an insane amount of times with no stoppage or standing 8 count. I didn't notice how unrealistic this was until I was a teenager. . .

This is definitely true. And it was a criticism that led many people to call Raging Bull the superior boxing film in its day. I have to watch #4 again to see what you mean by skipping the standing count, but that is a bad thing to miss. In general Rocky matches don't feel like real matches. They're in that heightened reality like baseball movies. If baseball was actually as exciting as the movies make it look, I'd be watching it.

You could take the match that inspired Rocky as an example. The Wepner/Ali match wasn't close. Even before the ref called it 18 seconds early, no one would have claimed it was close (like in Rocky, where it's a split decision). The impressive thing wasn't that Wepner almost won (he didn't) but that he knocked Ali down and was still standing in the final round.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-08-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #18
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Cindarella Man might be my favorite boxing movie ever made. Just fantastic.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #19
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Cindarella Man might be my favorite boxing movie ever made. Just fantastic.
Rocky is still my favorite; I just acknowledge it's not necessarily the best recreation of real boxing.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-08-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Rocky is still my favorite; I just acknowledge it's not necessarily the best recreation of real boxing.
"Rocky Balboa" was about the only time in the series where they even attempted to present "real" boxing to any extent. And I feel like that was a mistake... I didn't want to see "real" boxing in that movie, I wanted to see Rocky kick ass again. By the same token I've lamented them using real boxers as the bad guys since Rocky V and every movie since... because there's a very real line where the bad guy boxers were memorable, and that was it.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Ahh, but Rocky Balboa was so satisfying! I liked that Rocky wasn't allowed to straight up beat Mason. All he had to do to really give his story meaning was hold his own in the ring and make it through the match. And wisely they gave Mason an injury that made it at least SOMEWHAT believable. It would have ruined it if Rocky won fairly, or e even won at all. Such a great ending to his series. Hope they never undo it.

In fact, they should have Rocky pull a Mickey and go out in Creed III. Give an end to his story and force Adonis to face whatever his greatest challenge is on his own at the end.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
It would have ruined it if Rocky won fairly, or e even won at all. Such a great ending to his series. Hope they never undo it.
Well, there IS that alternate ending out there....

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Quote:
In fact, they should have Rocky pull a Mickey and go out in Creed III. Give an end to his story and force Adonis to face whatever his greatest challenge is on his own at the end.
That's what everyone wants to see... but he's not having it. I think something happened behind the scenes on Creed II that we have no idea about... Stallone was even originally tapped to direct it but it basically sounds like he was "talked out of it." Something happened there.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #23
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah, you might be right. It was weird how Creed II changed around like thhat, and even now Stallone is supposedly not attached to Creed III.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #24
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I remember the alt ending being mentioned or shown on the special features. So glad they wisely went with the ending they did.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Yeah, I'm suspicious. Like, Creed II was barely even in theaters yet and Stallone was loudly announcing to anyone that would listen that he's officially retired the character. Yet... not even a year later, Stallone is going around saying he wants to make Rocky 7 with Rocky training an illegal immigrant... and 0 mention of Creed?

Hmmm...

Maybe he wasn't too impressed with Michael B. Jordan on some press junkets or the idea of Michael B. Jordan enjoying success on the back of what Stallone built is starting to wear thin on him... I have no idea. I just feel pretty sure that Stallone became pretty unhappy with someone or something on that movie enough that he very suddenly wanted to put distance between him and Creed.

Quote:
I remember the alt ending being mentioned or shown on the special features. So glad they wisely went with the ending they did.
I'm pretty sure the ending used was always going to be the ending... he just shot 3 different endings so that the hundreds of extras watching the fight wouldn't spoil it for everyone.