The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 05-27-2017, 02:33 AM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Exclamation Shot In The Arm: CYBORG

Cyborg has enjoyed a good bit of spotlight since the success of the Teen Titans cartoons, his appearances in the League in animated films, his part in Injustice, as well as being a member of the Justice League as of the beginning of the New52 that carried over into REBIRTH. However popular the character may be in expanded media his comics sales just don't seem to warrant giving him a feature film. What the character needs is a shot in the arm. I don't know how many members on this forum are fans of the character, but I'd like to discuss people's favorite elements of the character, defining eras, or new twists to the character no matter how short term. In the vein of REBIRTH what could they bring back? Here are a few sales figures for Cyborg centric books including his first solo mini, his late New52 series, and his current REBIRTH series. Issue #1's, #6's, as well as the current issue:

DC Special: Cyborg #1 [of 6] - May 2008 - 18,778

DC Special: Cyborg #6 [of 6] - September 2008 - 11,297

New52 Cyborg #1 - July 2015 - 45,187

New52 Cyborg #6 - December 2015 - 17,864

REBIRTH Cyborg #1 - September 2016 - 56,280

REBIRTH Cyborg #6 - December 2016 - 21,287

Current Issue REBIRTH Cyborg #11 - April 2017 - 13,677

It would appear the character is doing better in the comics since becoming a founding League member. However the sales still slip and at a much faster rate. IMHO the character should be loosely tied to the Teen Titans again. And I mean the Teen Titans, since that's where most of the Wolfman era are still at [Beast Boy, Starfire, Raven]; not the adult Titans. In the animated universe film Teen Titans vs Justice League Cyborg joins the Titans to defeat a possessed Justice League and the kids see Cyborg as a 'big gun mentor'. In the end when the League is checking in on the Titans via Facetime or some such app, Vic is carrying pizza and planning some hang out time with the team already entering their HQ to the League's surprise.

No matter how hard DC tries, this:

Could never be as good as THIS, even on it's best day:

And now it kinda sucks because even fans who might have wanted more Cyborg/Shazam can't get it because Shazam's no longer in the League. I guess there's hope for the two interacting in the film universe...

Other turning points in the character's career [for me anyway] include his gold liquid metal form in the adult Titans series around 2000 as well as his time as a mentor to the YJ era Teen Titans under the pen of Geoff Johns. And I may be wrong but the gold liquid metal form may have been inspired by his look from Kingdom Come...

I *think* I read somewhere that Beast Boy would show up in Cyborg soon, but already losing like 75% of his readers since issue #1 pretty much guarantees this title's cancellation. Too little too late. Let Vic *die* in his series finale or a JL arc and come back with a new #1 afterwards and start connecting him to the Titans a little sooner. Only other thing that MIGHT give him a chance and warrant having a multi-million dollar movie based on him is a creative team like Grant Morrison and Francis Manapul... then he might crack the top 50 comics of the month...

Thoughts?

~//V\\~

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-27-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I used to like Cyborg back in the day in Wolfman's Teen Titans, but he just doesn't feel right anymore. Or look right. Visually he's a hot mess. I don't like him where there is almost no human left. What is he now, part of a head?

I don't see DC getting his sales numbers up, but they are in a bad position where they can't really cancel Cyborg with the JLA movie only months away. Better to let it run on fumes until the bluray/dvd comes out, then stop pushing it. If it's not meant to be it's not meant to be.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
I used to like Cyborg back in the day in Wolfman's Teen Titans, but he just doesn't feel right anymore. Or look right. Visually he's a hot mess. I don't like him where there is almost no human left. What is he now, part of a head?

I don't see DC getting his sales numbers up, but they are in a bad position where they can't really cancel Cyborg with the JLA movie only months away. Better to let it run on fumes until the bluray/dvd comes out, then stop pushing it. If it's not meant to be it's not meant to be.
I completely agree about the visuals. I actually like the look he got later in the New52 during his first monthly...

Cancelling it soon and then bringing it back with a new #1 would be a Marvel move, but I think with the numbers THAT low, it's worth the risk. They're surely gonna spend more money on a solo Cyborg movie than the character's comics, action figures, and other collectibles have ever brought in.

WB should pony up like 0.25% of the film's budget to get a decent creative team on the comic. You put $$$ in the faces of the biggest names out there and somebody will pitch gold. I'm talking long term picture though. The comic needs to remain epic and with the same creative team until the release of Cyborg's movie in a couple years. Really the cash it'd take to buy the best creative team for a couple years would be nothing compared to ten minutes of the movie's cost.

~//V\\~
Old 05-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I liked that look too from the 52, but still want him to be more human. I don't need the classic costume back or anything, but a modern version of it. And the poor guy should at least be able to keep his junk!
Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

He also needs a few rogues that bounce around or to borrow a couple unused or one and done enemies of the Teen Titans. Jinx for sure. Maybe Gizmo. IDK who else he could use, trying to think of some throwaway League baddies.... Computron? The Calculator? Shrapnel?

I really liked when he used his Stone alias as well in the cartoons...

*He was like combining a young Luke Cage with that old Hanna Barbera teen Thing series where the kid had the 'Thing Rings.'

~//V\\~
Old 05-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
Space Cop
The Dandy

I'm not a Cyborg fan. He was a Teen Titan when I wasn't reading it. He's alright on Justice League, but I wouldn't cry if he was removed from it. I would only pick up a solo title if it had some super team on it (even then I might wait to see if there's good word of mouth).
Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

He's okay and all. I don't have a problem with Cyborg other than I think he could be retooled a bit better. I just prefer Martian Manhunter in the League as a founding member. Any time DC strays from that (like Black Canary instead of WW) it feels wrong.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

They should make another League spin off for characters like Cyborg, Firestorm, Capt. Atom, Hawkman, and others who can't really hold down a solo title without exceptional circumstances [Geoff writing Hawkman for example]. JLoA seems to be doing fairly well without much effort, and with a JL movie coming out soon you'd think they'd push as many JL related series as possible. Remember how many Avengers books came around during Age of Ultron? We could *at least* get one more.

~//V\\~
Old 05-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Benchwarmer League of America?
Old 05-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #10
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Could be JL International, JL Elite [just throw a big gun on there], another JL United or maybe they could open up the idea of JL Unlimited and make the League consist of as many members as the JSA if not more like the old cartoon.

~//V\\~
Old 05-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^Benchwarmer League of America?
I would actually consider buying that, as long as they didn't fill it with the absolute dregs of the JLA's past. There are a LOT of awesome JLA members that aren't the Big Seven. Or, at least, ones that I grew up enjoying lol. Atom, Green Arrow, Firestorm, Hawkman, Red Tornado, Zatanna...pretty much the rest of the first 16 members.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I liked the title Formerly Known As the JL, just wish it included more than the joke filled Giffen era League. Could bring that back.

~//V\\~

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-28-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:35 AM   #13
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I think I mentioned somewhere else how dumb it was to give Cyborg his own chest symbol. That's just DC trying too hard to make him marketable. Give him a couple rogues to call his own from the 3rd and 4th string, a better look, and a connection to the Teen Titans again... and I'd buy it.

I'd also be game for another 2nd string JL with Cyborg among the roster. And JLoA is doing well enough to justify the attempt. Just has to have it's own angle.

You think a popular manga artist on variant covers for Cyborg with a ton of tech on them would bring in more sales? Actually, just go ahead and hire Pat Lee to come and do the art for the interiors. His stuff in the old Transformer comics is amazing.

~//V\\~
Old 05-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #14
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

What Cyborg needs is a better writer, point blank. The stories are not good. At all. That's why it's not selling. Having David Walker and John Semper, who the fuck is John Semper anyway, as the writers for his ongoing is going to cut it. Having these no names on this book isn't helping at all.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #15
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I think this is a great look for Vic. Classic but updated. I would like to see them go back to something like this.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #16
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Since the animated Titans series I've always like the blue bits in his tech. I like this more serious take on that design...

~//V\\~
Old 05-31-2017, 06:45 AM   #17
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

One of the lamest characters in DC Comics, in my opinion. No exaggeration. While I never liked him, he didn't strike me as such until DC really started to push him with the start of the New 52, and then it became so obvious this character has nothing to offer.

I believe Cyborg's future will depend on how well received he is in the upcoming Justice League film. As a solo character, he's worthless. As a Justice League member (and founder), he's odd and way out of place. His name is boring. His design is terrible. If Cyborg is to succeed, I think the character should be revamped with a much more aesthetic design and made to be a more desirable hero. He should be made to seem like he's better now, like the Six Million Dollar Man, and not like a Doom Patrol member. No face plate, no ridiculous bulky metal body. He should have an epidermis, a penis, and so on. His hero battle suit should be sleek an aesthetic.

As long as Cyborg is packaged as this Ben Grimm dude, I don't see him working as a solo character.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I think another flaw is that he has no supporting cast save for his dad who works at a branch of STAR Labs. His best friend in the superhero circles *should* be Beast Boy but he's no longer connected to those Titans. He was a football player, but have they ever actually showed anybody from his football days? An ex-girlfriend?

As far as making him a sleeker more marketable hero... I think that goes with them trying too hard to make him something he isn't. He didn't need a smaller body type, or his face uncovered... he's a public hero. People knew him before his accident. Giving him a slightly smaller more Ironman like frame and a symbol of his own doesn't matter when story wise they can't find their mark. I posted his look earlier before Rebirth that I enjoyed, but it was mostly to serve the purpose of that Technosapien story and becoming more human for a time. Here's his current look, which I can't stand. He's an ugly helmet away from looking like an Ultron robot henchman...

He's FAR from worthless though. There's a ton of potential still left to explore... and it needs to be if they're serious about pushing him and giving him a multi million dollar film. Who in the hell would they even plan to use as a villain in his solo movie? There's not a guess to be had unless it's a throwaway League or Titans enemy, he really has none of his own. He's not just another superhero and should be treated differently. It's not tights and spandex for him, being Cyborg is his life.

The tone in my head should be somewhere between the Wally West Flash era when his ID was public and the Fantastic Four. So basically... DC just hire Mark Waid and let him play ball.

I think because Vic's an accident survivor they should show him doing more with people who're disabled and lost limbs in accidents. Not just to appeal to a broader audience but just to give him a little more character when he's not superhero'ing. Show him catching a football game at his old highschool... something... ANYTHING is better than just being a half machine sitting in STAR Labs or some superhero HQ all day. That gets old too quick.

~//V\\~

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-31-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #19
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm still scratching my head trying to see how WB is going to make a Cyborg movie work. Or not suck.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #20
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Wait, so some of you think there's a chance Cyborg won't be a totally awesome DC movie?!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:34 PM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

LOL, shocker right?

Actually, I'm still in shock that WB appears to have pulled off a good WW movie. I have a harder time believing that Cyborg will have the same happy ending.

All I really care about though, is if DC can make great Flash and GLC movies. They owe me that much!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #22
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

What cannon does it draw from? Who on Earth could be an enemy? WB justifies Cyborg as being the first black male lead for a superhero film [cause Blade doesn't count]. Then Marvel finally announced Black Panther and how it will come out before Cyborg. Then IIRC... the actor playing Cyborg had a 'very important meeting at WB offices' after Marvel/Disney's anouncement. I don't think it was to tell him his movie's out the window, rather it'll likely come sooner than 2020.

The character has a long way to go before being worthy of a multi million dollar film. His series is on par with the crap-fest that is the newest Blue Beetle and I don't see them falling over themselves for that minority character...

Cyborg's comic can't even hold down 15k an issue... AND HE'S GETTING A MOVIE.

~//V\\~
Old 06-01-2017, 12:41 AM   #23
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I would MUCH rather see a Black Panther movie than a Cyborg one. Like a hundred times over.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:14 AM   #24
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Panther has been known to sell some comics in his day. Cyborg not so much....

Which is why his series needs something to really REBIRTH his character. There's way too much to be desired in his book. They're not even touching the surface of this guy's story potential.

Here's another tip though... use a villain who isn't a user of tech. It's like the Flash tv series and the big bad always being a speedster or a friend who betrays the hero.

~//V\\~
Old 06-01-2017, 03:44 AM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah, they already have a tech villain for Cyborg. Doing more in that vein is a bad idea. Probably the easiest idea (and laziest, I admit) is mining old unused Titans villains.