The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 09-24-2019, 12:57 AM   #3551
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

So I made a discovery this weekend that is kind of in line with what I'm currently reading, Sid Haig, and a new genre of horror movies for me: Western era horror movies.

I'm reading a book called Yea though I Walk, which is about a cowboy who is taking on Strigoi, Wendigo, and hybrids of both. It got me interested in the horror western genre, so I looked up some notable examples. At the top of almost every list was a movie called Bone Tomahawk, starring Kurt Russell. Sign Haid played a minor role in the beginning of the movie, and largely it just plodded on about 4 guys walking through the desert to find a group of cannibals that had stolen a couple citizens from the town. I was bored throughout most of it until the last 20 or 30 minutes of the movie where some action and ingenuity happened.

Not really knowing much of the genre, I was looking more for cowboys vs. vampires or other monsters. Do you guys have any suggestions along those lines?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:15 AM   #3552
Space Cop
The Dandy

^That's a great movie.

The third From Dusk til Dawn is a prequel set in the old west. One of the Tremor movies is too.

There are old ones---Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter and Billy the Kid vs. Dracula, but they're notoriously bad---by a guy nicknamed One-shot Beaudine because second takes were too expensive.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:55 AM   #3553
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^That's a great movie.

It honestly didnt feel like a horror movie in the traditional sense of the genre, at least not compared to what I'm reading right now. I will say though that it was extremely visceral and gory at the end, especially when the cannibals demonstrated their skills on the poor deputy kid. And that shot of the female cannibal make me outright want to puke. It takes a severely disturbed mind to come up with that stuff. But like I said, most of it bored me because it was like 4 grumpy old men without the laughs.

Cool trick though how that one guy cut out the windpipe (?) And used it to trick out the rest. Reminded me of Jurassic Park 3, I believe when they did the same sort of thing with the velociraptor anatomy part, whatever it was.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:02 AM   #3554
Space Cop
The Dandy

You probably also know of 1969's The Valley of Gwangi, which is cowboys vs. dinosaurs and in which Ray Harryhausen repurposed the abandoned project of his mentor Willis O'Brien (his mentor).

Gallowwalkers is a true western horror starring Wesley Snipes, but it's not great.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:34 AM   #3555
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

John Carpenter's Vampires looked familiar. Pretty sure I saw it a long time ago, but I re-watched it last night. Very good movie, even though James Woods' bad boy attitude was a little over the top. Continuing the Western Horror theme.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #3556
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

https://www.slashfilm.com/alien-returning-to-theaters/
Old 09-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #3557
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
I've known about that for months, but saw the same headline this morning. That's why it's worth following Fathom's website, for when a favorite is getting a special showing. Ghostbusters is also getting a limited engagement.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #3558
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Earlier this year I saved the dates and times in my phone calendar for Alien showings. Near me there are showings on a Sunday, Tues and Wed in the same week. I am definitely going to one of them.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #3559
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Earlier this year I saved the dates and times in my phone calendar for Alien showings. Near me there are showings on a Sunday, Tues and Wed in the same week. I am definitely going to one of them.
Yeah, I hope to go, but I'll play it by ear. Going to Rambo: Last Blood today was fine, but it reminded me I really don't like going to my local AMC and it's the only convenient theater nearby.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #3560
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Tony Todd returning as Candyman in Jordan Peele-produced sequel
Old 09-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #3561
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Jeff, I was just at Walmart and saw a DVD of "Nightmare Shark." Bunch of shark attack survivors participate in an experimental clinical trial but the doctor wants to open a portal that lets this dream shark into the real world.

It sounds hilariously dumb.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #3562
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Jeff, I was just at Walmart and saw a DVD of "Nightmare Shark." Bunch of shark attack survivors participate in an experimental clinical trial but the doctor wants to open a portal that lets this dream shark into the real world.

It sounds hilariously dumb.

Hahaha. Sounds utterly redonkulous. Therefore I must watch it. Maybe a trip to Wally world is in order.

Last night, I watched The Burrowers. Unfortunately the dialogue and movie started to slip away from each other half way through the movie, so I had to find "another source" hehe Once I did though, I was able to get the main gist of it. Kinda gruesome, and I'm not just talking about the creatures. The treatment of Native Americans and rape of the environment by the white settlers were just as ugly and horrible. The idea of the creatures was fairly intelligent, though, and the way the Native Americans handled it was inventive. The ending sucked, though, IMHO, and there definitely needs to be a sequel for this movie that rights the many wrongs about a great many things.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #3563
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

This is the list, btw, that I found of western horror flicks:

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls022328189/

If you know of any others that are not on the list, let me know!
Old 09-29-2019, 02:27 AM   #3564
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Oh damn, I can't believe I forgot: since you're into Western-era horror, maybe check out Ravenous if you haven't done so. I watched it ages ago, found it to be fairly decent.

Specifically it's about Captain Boyd, a Civil War Union officer who's transferred to a frontier posting to investigate a missing caravan after a survivor shows up. Dude claims a "Colonel Ives" led the party astray and only he escaped the madman. Things get unsettling when Boyd realizes it's much freakier than just a power-crazed officer on the loose.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:47 AM   #3565
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Oh damn, I can't believe I forgot: since you're into Western-era horror, maybe check out Ravenous if you haven't done so. . .
I second that rec. It was funny, sick, and entertaining. It's not supernatural (though some characters have a supernatural interpretation of the events)---which I know is Jeff's preference---but it's definitely horrific. Oh, and I remember digging the music though I can't actually recall it right now.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #3566
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

/\ Just finished Ravenous. I could see all the elements you guys pointed out- comedy, horror, suspense, a twist of fate.....it was an ok movie, but not exactly what I was looking for. Cannibals are cool if they are like the ones in Bone Tomahawk, but i generally stray away from them. As SC said, I'm more into the supernatural end of things.

The problem with that list i got was that it said it omits vampires and zombies; well, unfortunately vampires in the old west would be right up my alley. So it's becoming a pain in the ass to find horror Westerns featuring vampires as the antagonists. Zombies, i could take em or leave em. curiously, though, the list does include John Carpenter's Vampires, so that's sort of a conundrum right there.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #3567
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Maybe I should zone in on Wendigo themed movies instead?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #3568
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah, you should go with "Grim Prairie Tales" and the From Dusk til Dawn prequel (which doesn't require you having seen the others). Both are watchable. The former is actually good.

Supposedly, Salva's original plan for "Jeepers Creepers 3" was a Western-set prequel, which would've explained how the Creeper adopted his look. But that didn't happen.

The Beaudine movies I mentioned are right what you're looking for theme-wise, but they're so cheap that I doubt you'll dig on them unless you're in a mood for a so-bad-it's-good oldie.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-30-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #3569
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Btw, I saw Jeepers Creepers 3 in the theater. It was horrendous. Don't bother if you haven't seen it yet.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #3570
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Btw, I saw Jeepers Creepers 3 in the theater. It was horrendous. Don't bother if you haven't seen it yet.

Word on that. I made the mistake myself. Time I can never get back in life, you know?

@SC, from Dusk til Dawn it is.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:46 AM   #3571
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that one when it was on streaming and when I noticed it listed for theaters thought 'no way.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
...@SC, from Dusk til Dawn it is.
#3, "The Hangman's Daughter." Cooly, Michael Parks plays the part of real-life author Ambrose Bierce in it.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #3572
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Watched the Hangman's Daughter, and that basically was right up my alley. A little of this, a little of that, I enjoyed the romp for what it was. Is the entire FDTD series as good? I can see putting some time in to watch it if the others are as enjoyable.

Last night, I also caught this movie called "The Creature Below" where the premise was: diver brings up weird egg in her suit, steals egg from owner of the ship, raises hatched egg in basement, goes mad and starts killing people to feed it, in the last 2 minutes of film the hatchling has now taken over the oceans. Not sure if this was a SciFi special or what, but it seemed a small notch above their regular faire. And there were major Lovecraftian themes throughout. It was ok.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #3573
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Watched the Hangman's Daughter, and that basically was right up my alley. A little of this, a little of that, I enjoyed the romp for what it was. Is the entire FDTD series as good? I can see putting some time in to watch it if the others are as enjoyable...
Well, there's only three movies. If you've never seen the original, it's a modern classic penned by (and co-starring) Tarantino. #2 I don't remember much of. I guess it wasn't totally crap, but it apparently wasn't memorable either.

Then there was a show, which was actually pretty good, but it should've been one season. It rebooted the story with the majority of the first season slowly re-telling the first movie. The second season went off on its own tangent, but felt aimless as it went on.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:25 PM   #3574
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

My Blu-ray of Event Horizon arrived today. I'm going to have to watch it this weekend, and the extras (or maybe those and then sometime next week the main film).
Old 10-04-2019, 01:39 AM   #3575
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

So James has been doing an episode-a-day for Monster Madness 2019, and while I haven't watched the first (Evil Dead franchise), I did watch Incubus and Ernest Scared Stupid yesterday and just now.

I have to say, I never expected to ever hear the term "Esperanto" or that an entire film would be shot in it. It seems like such a bizarre decision even without considering there would be virtually no payoff.

Also, I think the best format for the MM series was when he did each day of the week as a different theme. I don't think that's what he should always do, but it was so much fun having Modern Monday, What The Fuck Wednesday, Franken-Friday, and all the others.