Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 05-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Default Windowless Planes Will Give Passengers A Panoramic View Of The Sky

that is fucking awesome

Tired of fighting for the window seat every time you travel by plane? Well then when you read about and see the latest idea for plane travel you may wonder–what took so long?! A British Technology research firm known as The Center for Process Innovation says they are creating the key to future airplane travel: windowless planes.

The Center for Process Innovation is actually working to remove the good-old window seat everyone fights to sit by during any long flight. In exchange they would like to deck planes out in OLED-touch-screens that would extend the entire length of the plane. Giving everyone a virtual window seat, including those trapped on the crowded isles.

Check out this futuristic idea, you never know this could be the way of travel in the next 10 to 15 years!

The OLED screens will be attached to cameras all over the outside of the plane, and as a result will display to travelers the outside view via technology. Tired of looking at the bright blue sky? These screens can be turned to tune into entertainment programs and stewardess services as well.

So what is an OLED-touch screen? OLED stands for organic light-emitting diode, which really means that a film made of organic compound projects light as a response to an electric current. It sounds fancy, but OLED technology is used in television screens, mobile phones, and desktop monitors. In fact, by the time these airplanes are ready for actual use there will likely be a more advanced screen available for use.

With OLED screens making up the walls of the plane, passengers could look out at the world around them without having to score an ideal ‘window’ seat. Even though the projections are said to reflect the real world outside, this new technology could really get the conspiracy theorists going.

windowless-airplane-oled-touchscreen-walls-cpi-1

With a few clicks passengers could upload information about their current flight, including, “how long till we get there?!” After all, not just kids want to ask this question over and over on long journeys. Hungry or thirsty? You could also use the touchscreen feature to contact the stewardess service and order what you need.

Instead of staring at your device all day you could upload your content onto the surrounding walls as well, in order to browse the Internet, or maybe even get some work done. But what happens if your plane neighbor doesn’t want to view the same content as you? Not to mention, can you imagine the neck ache you would get from turning your head to the side instead of looking straight down at your phone or (gasp) a hardcover book?

windowless-airplane-oled-touchscreen-walls-cpi-4

According to CPI, besides the obvious awesomeness of their windowless plane demo, there are other advantages as well. Such as, by taking away passenger windows planes could be tinned, lighter, and stronger–making them overall safer.

One day you just might find yourself explaining to your future children or grandchildren what plane travel used to be like–with real windows and crossword puzzles on paper!

windowless-airplane-oled-touchscreen-walls-cpi-5

The cool idea isn’t without its drawbacks, for one the light pollution associated with this idea might cause some flight passengers to be more than slightly annoyed. If you are claustrophobic this idea might be help, until you realize you are more trapped than ever before without any window access. And if flying in general freaks you out due to a fear of heights we doubt this is going to help much–especially if they decide to install the screens on the floor of the plane, can you imagine?!

Check out this video to learn more abut the possible future in travel technology.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://www.earthporm.com/10-years-wi...amic-view-sky/

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It'll never take off. Too many people would have panic attacks on planes. It'll be far too disruptive. People get thrown off planes for freaking out about crying babies or being upset about peanuts not being right. They'd have to make you sign a new waiver before boarding.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
It'll never take off. Too many people would have panic attacks on planes. It'll be far too disruptive. People get thrown off planes for freaking out about crying babies or being upset about peanuts not being right. They'd have to make you sign a new waiver before boarding.
shit man id be the first mother fucker to go on it as a test run

even though this dosent have to do with the thread but on a side note i plan on going skydiving

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
I can't see it ever becoming a standard feature. It would make air travel even MORE expensive than it already is, in addition to the possibility of some passengers reacting badly to it. I can see it being an available option on private jets for the very rich.

And maybe they'll install it on Air Force One, since eliminating windows on the plane might be seen as desirable from a security perspective.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah, this would be a special flight with people who want that like stripper flights and such.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Yeah, this would be a special flight with people who want that like stripper flights and such.
are stripper flights legit or just in films? if they are real i cant even begin to think of a price tag. clubs are a ripoff as it is

Old 05-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
are stripper flights legit or just in films? if they are real i cant even begin to think of a price tag. clubs are a ripoff as it is
I do remember hearing of one before, but I don't know if it was a one-off joke or what.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #8
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I do remember hearing of one before, but I don't know if it was a one-off joke or what.
man that has got to be for the politicians. it really wouldnt suprise me

Old 05-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #9
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Yeah, real nice with the white clouds and blue sky. What happens when you're flying through a thunderstorm with lightning all over the place? Plus can you imagine how terrifying landing would be?

Personally I think it would be a lot of fun to fly like that, but I don't think it will ever take off in a commercial capacity.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
man that has got to be for the politicians. it really wouldnt suprise me
Here's some info on stripper flights.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

While this looks cool, I'm not too sure that I would trust the durability of the aircraft. I mean, those windows are made from acryllic plastic, which is fine for several windows, but the bulk of the aircraft? Eh... In addition, I would imagine that this would be incredibly expensive and not available to ordinary Joe's.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #12
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
While this looks cool, I'm not too sure that I would trust the durability of the aircraft. I mean, those windows are made from acryllic plastic, which is fine for several windows, but the bulk of the aircraft? Eh... In addition, I would imagine that this would be incredibly expensive and not available to ordinary Joe's.
Uhhh....those aren't windows.

The airplane has NO windows, so it should actually be a tad MORE durable. Those are giant screens with views taken from external cameras.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Uhhh....those aren't windows.

The airplane has NO windows, so it should actually be a tad MORE durable. Those are giant screens with views taken from external cameras.
Oh, okay... Guess it's obvious that I didn't read the whole thing. Strike everything I've said aside from this little escapade being expensive.

Something like this would be cool for a simulator experience at Universal Studios or some other amusement park.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:15 AM   #14
Mrt1000son
Dark Lord of the Sith

Much as I'm terrified of heights getting on a plane like that would be absolutely incredible, as close as you can get to flying on a magic carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastroncafe
Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom From Being Called Out For Spouting Bullshit.
Mrt1000son is offline   Reply With Quote