The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps
FLASHCHAT

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
View Poll Results: Rate Hal and the GLC Rebirth #1
* 1 7.14%
** 0 0%
*** 3 21.43%
**** 7 50.00%
***** 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps: Rebirth #1 *Preview/Spoilers*

Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps: Rebirth #1 Preview
Writer: Robert Venditti
Artist: Ethan Van Sciver

Last edited by Hypo; 07-08-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

maybe i missed something but why is sinestro old and gray?
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen" View Post
Well, Lyssa says something about how his campaign to get to this point took a lot out of him, but it's not clear how that works exactly.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Spectremjm

Quote:
Generally speaking, it's related to how much effort it took to defeat the Pale bishop. He's been getting weaker ever since.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
to change the world. This time, Lord...
Let me be worthy."
Spectremjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
IonFan
Forum Member

if this is set before GL rebirth (cause it looks like it is) why didn't it come out 1st

(godd@mn DC timelines )

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
if this is set before GL rebirth (cause it looks like it is) why didn't it come out 1st

(godd@mn DC timelines )
Seems to me that DC considers Jessimon's book to be the premiere GL title... I get them wanting to support it with the earlier release. Hopefully after the first issue, there won't be any more discrepancies...
Old 07-12-2016, 02:06 AM   #7
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
Seems to me that DC considers Jessimon's book to be the premiere GL title... I get them wanting to support it with the earlier release. Hopefully after the first issue, there won't be any more discrepancies...
yeah well hate to tell'em but i'm not a fan of Baz and what-her-name, all i care about is GL's doing GL things with their/there/they're GL rings............................................ that and Kyle, i really like Kyle (no homo)

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
yeah well hate to tell'em but i'm not a fan of Baz and what-her-name, all i care about is GL's doing GL things with their/there/they're GL rings............................................ that and Kyle, i really like Kyle (no homo)
if all you care about is GLs doing GL things with THEIR rings, then you care about Baz and Jessica. Logic
Old 07-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #9
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Maybe he's saying that he doesn't care about the characters at all (except for his crush on Kyle), only the action, and he feels that Green Lanterns is more about the former than the latter?

Nah. That feels like too nuanced of an objection...
Old 07-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I'm more interested to see what Hal turns into or what powers he develops from overusing Krona's gauntlet, although the cover suggests that things will revert to the status quo eventually.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Not even trying to be negative, but I am truly astonished by how little actually happened this issue. Venditti has proven himself a master of both unspectacular endings to what should be epic stories, and also plodding writing that takes forever to get anywhere. This issue is nothing but recap that should have been summed up in, at most, two pages. It's actually somewhat of an incredible feat that Venditti managed to stretch that out for 20 pages.

Also SPOILER...

Hal Jordan gets a power ring again just because... he can just make one. Wow, talk about disappointing and lazy writing. This makes me wonder what will happen to Abin Sur's ring now that Hal Jordan has another. It will probably go to yet another completely unnecessary character from Earth

The Green Lanterns stuff is better than this, and I don't even like that stuff.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 07-13-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #12
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
Not even trying to be negative, but I am truly astonished by how little actually happened this issue. Venditti has proven himself a master of both unspectacular endings to what should be epic stories, and also plodding writing that takes forever to get anywhere. This issue is nothing but recap that should have been summed up in, at most, two pages. It's actually somewhat of an incredible feat that Venditti managed to stretch that out for 20 pages.

Also SPOILER...

Hal Jordan gets a power ring again just because... he can just make one. Wow, talk about disappointing and lazy writing. This makes me wonder what will happen to Abin Sur's ring now that Hal Jordan has another. It will probably go to yet another completely unnecessary character from Earth

The Green Lanterns stuff is better than this, and I don't even like that stuff.
Hal hasn't been using Abin's ring in a long, long time, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

Let me be worthy."
Old 07-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
Not even trying to be negative ......
Ha, I have no doubt all that negativity is effortless by now....

Knowing what we know about all these Rebirth issues and what they're for, I thought this did a great job. Two important things actually happened here:
-- Sinestro setting Warworld and himself up in the center of the universe and the Sinestro Corps as having replaced the GLC. (I have no idea if any of this was covered in "Sinestro" but I don't read that)
-- Hal forging his own ring and ditching Krona's gauntlet.(although I hope he didn't just leave it there for anyone to find) Sure, it was perfunctory but we see that storyline get wrapped up. And as a Hal fan, I love seeing him do awesome shit! I want to see a Hal Jordan who isn't doubting himself and this is a good indication of things going forward for me. If you don't love Hal, of course you're not going to love seeing him be awesome.

I am curious though what Hal will do for a battery...
Old 07-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #14
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Desh/Star Lantern... you've already said that you Hate the direction of the GL books and will not support them or DC until John is given a role you think he deserves. My question is, why counting to read these books? Is it to post a negative review here?

As for this issue, it's probably the best one Venditti has written. God knows I hate the guy's writting. Most if not all of the rebirth issues have been recaps and setups while establishing the new status quo. Hal using the gauntlet was a terrible storyline so ending it here was satisfying to me. As for Hal's ring, he hasn't been using Abin's for awhile now, I cannot remember of the top of my head but the I think the last we saw of Abin's ring was when the Guardians took his ring in GL 62. And if Sinestro can duplicate his ring for Hal then later have the indigo guardian reprogram it, then I can live with Hal forging a new one. I'm optimistic about the series right now, although I've enjoyed GLs more.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #15
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Desh/Star Lantern... you've already said that you Hate the direction of the GL books and will not support them or DC until John is given a role you think he deserves. My question is, why counting to read these books? Is it to post a negative review here?

As for this issue, it's probably the best one Venditti has written. God knows I hate the guy's writting. Most if not all of the rebirth issues have been recaps and setups while establishing the new status quo. Hal using the gauntlet was a terrible storyline so ending it here was satisfying to me. As for Hal's ring, he hasn't been using Abin's for awhile now, I cannot remember of the top of my head but the I think the last we saw of Abin's ring was when the Guardians took his ring in GL 62. And if Sinestro can duplicate his ring for Hal then later have the indigo guardian reprogram it, then I can live with Hal forging a new one. I'm optimistic about the series right now, although I've enjoyed GLs more.
The ring Hal got in the original Rebirth wasn't even Abin's. It was just a duplicate he had made and given Ollie. It's been a long, long time.

John is supposed to be leader of the Corps though going forward, so that might be an incentive to keep reading if one is a John fan.

Let me be worthy."
Old 07-14-2016, 12:15 AM   #16
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
Knowing what we know about all these Rebirth issues and what they're for, I thought this did a great job.
Agreed, it's pretty clear by now that these Rebirth issues are pretty much #0's or #0.5's so if you're expecting something substantial well then your expectations are just out of whack.

That being said I thought this did a great job of cleansing the palate so the speak. I bailed on Venditti's initial run pretty damn quick but the tone established here actually makes me excited to read a GL book by him.

4/5.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:03 AM   #17
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Issue out. Poll up. Review posted.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #18
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

This issue did exactly what I hoped it would do, make me even more excited for this series! I've seen some complaints saying not much happened but this issue was just meant so set up what's to come in this series and that's what it did. Hal Jordan is once again a Green Lantern, Sinestro is probably about to merge with Parallax again to get his strength back and they're bringing back Ganthet, Sayd, Carol, and white lantern Kyle. I really can't wait to see Hal Jordan take on the Sinestro Corps in the coming issues. And I'm sure the GLC will come back and join the fight and we'll get a SCW rematch!

Also so glad to have Ethan Van Sciver back. His Hal Jordan is always great!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Last edited by CeltiC5-27; 07-15-2016 at 11:21 AM.
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #19
Locomoco808
Kilowog's Recruit

I liked it, which is saying something as I haven't been impressed with the Venditti storylines thus far.

Hal Jordan upped the ante here in terms of mastery over these power rings. He freaking made one! Even Sinestro never did that, having acquired his Fear ring from the Weaponer on Quard.

The process reminded me somewhat what the Guardians did in the Emerald Knights animation movie. How the guardians shaped raw Will in their hands and passed it to each other in succession.

Dayum, that is some bragging rights right there. It also makes Jordan's ring the most dangerous GL ring in the DC universe. There are no outside imposed restrictions on its capabilities.

The only fly in the ointment with the badass concept was what the hell did he finally do with Krona's gauntlet? And where did the actual lantern battery appearing in the last panel come from? Was that the original lantern he had all along in some pocket dimension storage? He never needed to summon it after he left his old ring in his locker when he left the GLC.

It would have tied up loose strings story wise if he somehow transmutated the gauntlets into a battery but you seriously do not see the final fate of the gauntlets.
Locomoco808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #20
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

Leaving Krona's Gauntlet to be laying around could spell bad news down the road, and we probably haven't seen the last of it.

Him having his own forged ring is probably also a way to distinguish from the other Lanterns. They won't have to call him the "greatest" anymore since an act like that elevates his status already.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #21
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Now Hal, John and even Kyle have done Guardian type things in their past, all we need now is for Guy to do the same and then we will have our, why Earth Lanterns are so central to everything question, answered. They have always hinted at stuff like this since Hal drew power from the Central Power Battery in was it Emerald Dawn against Legion, and the Guardians were shocked. (Even though we have seen hundreds of Lanterns draw from the CPB and saying oaths before, I guess not in the way Hal did it.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #22
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

As for the Guantlet I am hoping Hal keeps it around to go Super Saiyan against heavyweights like Parallax enhanced Sinestro, or Darkseid or whatever cosmic level foe comes a knocking, not an everyday tool but for big events like Thor's armor and belt.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #23
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Believe it or not, I actually liked the "Renegade" storyline, but I'm a bit disappointed with this issue. I was hoping that Venditti would explore Hal's transformation and use that ability to find, rescue GL Corps and restore Oa along with his good name. From the looks of it, Hal has gone back to normal by simply taking off the gauntlet. Since the ring was forged from the gauntlet, I hope they explore that a bit further, especially considering that the ring's creation sent tremors along the emotional spectrum.

I really doubt that Hal left Krona's gauntlet lying around, although it makes you wonder where he put it. In the dimensional pocket where his power battery is?.. and speaking of that, did he forge a power battery too? He's shown charging his ring, but it wasn't shown where it came from.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #24
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Yeah, I hope Vendetti doesn't think he's totally just reset everything because there's still a bit that needs explaining...
Old 07-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #25
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
Now Hal, John and even Kyle have done Guardian type things in their past, all we need now is for Guy to do the same and then we will have our, why Earth Lanterns are so central to everything question, answered. They have always hinted at stuff like this since Hal drew power from the Central Power Battery in was it Emerald Dawn against Legion, and the Guardians were shocked. (Even though we have seen hundreds of Lanterns draw from the CPB and saying oaths before, I guess not in the way Hal did it.
Guy will never get to do something like that again. They're content to shit on him now. "Nobody likes Guy", "Everybody wishes Guy would die",etc seem to permeate through the stories.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote