Action Comics #601 Aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action Comics #601 Aftermath

Ok so I just picked up a bunch of old comics at a convention, among which was Action Comics #601 and #602. Inside, Carol Ferris as Star Sapphire (older, bad edition) kills John Stewart's wife.

SO... what was the aftermath/fallout of this event?

Especially with Carol Ferris returning to be a Star Sapphire (newer, good edition) in Volume 4. Was this ever mentioned again? Was there a conflict between JS and CF?

Cuz if someone killed my wife it would be kinda important for the rest of all time.

Yes and yes. And then it was downplayed.

Comment

That was back when Carol literally became a different person when she was Star Sapphire, and often didn't even remember what she did as Star Sapphire. So yeah, JS was affected, and hated Star Sapphire, but when she became Carol again, I don't think they interacted much.

You'd think that seeing her as Star Sapphire again these days would be hard for him to deal with, except I'm not at all convinced that Star Sapphire killing Katma is even still in continuity. Heck, I'm not 100% convinced that John and Katma's marriage is still in continuity.

Comment

Track down Green Lantern Vol. 3 #22-24 for the continuation of that storyline:
        http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...st/4000-35442/
        http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...es/4000-35539/
        http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...on/4000-35647/

Once that was all wrapped up, writers never really revisited John's animosity for Star Sapphire, except for an issue of Mosaic in which John faced his darkest fears and revisited his worst moments, all within his own psyche.
        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Good work. Those are the issues most directly related to your question, sundrop.

Hmm, this might make for a good book club entry.

Comment

I think it was wise of the editors and writers to sweep that bit of business under the rug. Nothing good was going to come of it. I wish they'd do the same for the Xanshi incident.

And Mister Ed brings up a good point. I sometimes think the creative teams don't KNOW if John and Katma being a couple in the past should still be continuity, so they just avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              That was back when Carol literally became a different person when she was Star Sapphire, and often didn't even remember what she did as Star Sapphire. So yeah, JS was affected, and hated Star Sapphire, but when she became Carol again, I don't think they interacted much.

You'd think that seeing her as Star Sapphire again these days would be hard for him to deal with, except I'm not at all convinced that Star Sapphire killing Katma is even still in continuity. Heck, I'm not 100% convinced that John and Katma's marriage is still in continuity.
              I wonder if the writers even know about the history between John, Katma and Carol. For a while, John was paired up with Fatality, a Sapphire, which is from the same group that killed his wife. You'd think that just seeing Carol (although it was the gem that possessed her) and/or that uniform (even though it's been drastically altered over the years) would make him cringe. I'm convinced that the aforementioned is not in continuity anymore, and nobody cares to revisit it.
              Sylent_Asassin
              Black Lantern
              Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 04-22-2015, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                Track down Green Lantern Vol. 3 #22-24 for the continuation of that storyline:
                http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...st/4000-35442/
                http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...es/4000-35539/
                http://www.comicvine.com/green-lante...on/4000-35647/

Once that was all wrapped up, writers never really revisited John's animosity for Star Sapphire, except for an issue of Mosaic in which John faced his darkest fears and revisited his worst moments, all within his own psyche.
                werent these the issues where we found out that SS was preggers, which ended Johns bout of revenge, or was that earlier??

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

So, #24 (which is the actual John vs. Carol issue) is the new Book Club Selection if anyone is interested.

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                  werent these the issues where we found out that SS was preggers, which ended Johns bout of revenge, or was that earlier??
                  No. John stops because he realizes he can't kill and he and some others (including Hal) essentially will Carol out of Star Sapphire.
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 04-22-2015, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                    Yo.

Tazer
                    No. In those issues John Stewart and Hal Jordan use their rings to destroy Carol Ferris' Star Sapphire personality. He reasoned that since Carol didn't actually kill Katma, it wouldn't be right to kill her just to kill Star Sapphire.

I think the whole direction Green Lantern took with Kyle Rayner and so forth has a lot to do with why John and Carol's history isn't brought up anymore. For such a long period of time, Carol didn't play much of a role in Green Lantern at all, and the writers of that time moved John on to completely different stuff. The overall story had gone in a completely different direction, and by the time Carol had come back into the story more regularly, so much time had passed by that those Action Comics issues weren't on many people's minds. And Geoff Johns was concerned with restoring Hal Jordan and telling "Corps War" stories and not at all concerned with exploring John's past with Carol. So by now, another 10 years has passed with no allusion to Star Sapphire killing Katma, plus a rebooted universe. I'm not sure what the status of that whole situation is now. Someone should explore John's relationship with Katma Tui so we can see how it worked out in this continuity.
                    Star-Lantern
                    Weaponer of Qward
                    Last edited by Star-Lantern; 04-22-2015, 10:13 PM.
                    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                      Someone should explore John's relationship with Katma Tui so we can see how it worked out in this continuity.
                      Does GL Corps #40 (New52) count?

But seriously, didn't she come back as a Black Lantern? Gotta admit this whole ordeal is a bit more obscure GL knowledge (being in Action Comics and all) but when Carol Ferris becomes a SS again in Vol4 would've been the perfect time for just a panel or two of John raising an eyebrow.

But, maybe the whole "serious-soldier" John makes sense now. He was so super-happy with "Kat-Lady". After losing a fine babe like that it kinda makes sense to become a glazed-eyed fighting machine.

Comment

Originally posted by sundrop View Post
                        Does GL Corps #40 (New52) count?
                        Well, it confirms that they knew each other.

But seriously, didn't she come back as a Black Lantern? Gotta admit this whole ordeal is a bit more obscure GL knowledge (being in Action Comics and all) but when Carol Ferris becomes a SS again in Vol4 would've been the perfect time for just a panel or two of John raising an eyebrow.
                        Yeah, it would have been, but like I said, delving much into John's past just wasn't in Geoff Johns' agenda.

But, maybe the whole "serious-soldier" John makes sense now. He was so super-happy with "Kat-Lady". After losing a fine babe like that it kinda makes sense to become a glazed-eyed fighting machine.
                        His life first started falling apart when Katma died.

Comment

I wish DC would collect the GL parts of the Action comics run, though not that expensive, I prefer not to fill up a short box with books for three pages of GL stories, but I would like to see those stories. Anyway I will check the book club section for a breakdown on the GL Action Comics stories.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
                            I wish DC would collect the GL parts of the Action comics run, though not that expensive, I prefer not to fill up a short box with books for three pages of GL stories, but I would like to see those stories. Anyway I will check the book club section for a breakdown on the GL Action Comics stories.
                            Well, that run was not notable for its great GL stories. We had Hal go on Oprah and figure out that his ring had modified his brain to make him without fear. We also had one of my personal least favorites, the story where we learn that Clark Kent was the ring's first choice (he was only disqualified because the ring discovered he was not native to Sector 2814), and Hal was essentially tied with like 8 or 9 other guys for second choice, and only got the ring because Clark chose him.

Comment

What about Lord Malvolio?

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                              Well, that run was not notable for its great GL stories. We had Hal go on Oprah and figure out that his ring had modified his brain to make him without fear. We also had one of my personal least favorites, the story where we learn that Clark Kent was the ring's first choice (he was only disqualified because the ring discovered he was not native to Sector 2814), and Hal was essentially tied with like 8 or 9 other guys for second choice, and only got the ring because Clark chose him.
                              What did you think of the Malvolio storyline? I thought looking at his costume design, was like a modified Alan Scott uniform and he might be to Hal Jordan, what Venom (Eddie Brock) was to Spiderman. That being said I never read the issues and only know about them because it was mentioned as a reason out of the Emerald Twilight storyline.

Comment

Working...
                              X