Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 07-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #8551
Space Cop
The Dandy

Fear and Desire (1953)

"Well, we have nothing to lose but our futures."

Stanley Kubrick’s first feature (though barely since it’s just under 62 minutes) and his first of several) anti-war flicks. Not bad, but far from his best. Follows a group of soldiers behind enemy lines and the choices they make. Neither country is named to keep it universal. There’s also an interesting casting choice to emphasize this. Now, I’ve seen all his movies.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-07-2020 at 03:39 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #8552
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Watched the first half of Hamilton on Disney+ this weekend (waiting to watch the second half when everybody in the family can stay catch it without having to stay up too late).

I guess I'm just not cool and hip, because I felt like the decision to do almost everything as rapid-fire rap/hip-hop lyrics made it largely incomprehensible. I feel like I caught enough to mostly follow the story (and the choreography was cool), but I found the musical choices to be a real detriment to the production. It was well performed, and sounded nice, but as a means of actually conveying information in a production that has NO lines that are simply spoken, it was not up to the task, IMHO.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #8553
Space Cop
The Dandy

Hot Shots! (1991)

"If I was joking I'd say 'What do you do with an elephant with 3 balls? Walk him and pitch to the rhino.'"

Re-watching Top Gun put me in the mood to re-watch this too; then Riff it.

[Rifftrax:] Top Gun (1987/2006)

“I really think we should consider disbanding the Navy.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Watched the first half of Hamilton on Disney+ . . .
I guess I'm just not cool and hip, because I felt like the decision to do almost everything as rapid-fire rap/hip-hop lyrics made it largely incomprehensible. . .
I don't have Disney+ anyway, but an all-hip hop soundtrack is enough to turn me off especially for a musical. I can endure it if music isn't the main focus like say in Ghost Dog, which I like despite it's soundtrack, but not if its the medium.

Last edited by Space Cop; Yesterday at 12:55 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #8554
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

If I'm not mistaken, based on things I've heard Lin-Manuel Miranda say about it, Hamilton was originally conceived as a historical concept album, and eventually got turned into a musical stage production as it became overly complex. It's approach to the material is thus designed to be a rapid fire retelling of important events, rather than a typical musical narrative, and it's praise largely comes from its unique handling of such, as well as the undeniable catchiness of its tunes.

It's essentially a rap opera chronicling a man's life.

The opening song is actually a great example of the entire production, as it quickly goes over his childhood, while setting up the importance of the other characters in the play. I would suggest giving it a listen before deciding not to watch it based on its description.

https://youtu.be/fNQBs9sP7-w
Old 07-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #8555
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Well, I found it largely incomprehensible.

Very polished, beautiful production. Horrible at actually conveying the story in any detail, since most of the details conveyed go by too fast to register well.

King George III was hilarious, though (and I could actually understand what he was saying).

EDIT: Watched the rest last night. Second half had a larger proportion of songs that were easy to follow, so that’s something. Definitely isn’t just an idealized portrayal of Hamilton, as he really seems like a jerk at times.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 07-07-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #8556
Space Cop
The Dandy

Species (1995)

"We decided to make it female so it would be more docile and controllable.
-More docile and controllable, eh? You guys don't get out much."

Turned 25. Funny connection to the below: the guy who's nice to Sil (from the hot tub scene) is Slider from Top Gun.

Predators (2010)

"This is hell.
-Last time I looked, you didn't need a parachute to get there."

Turned 10.