The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > Introduce yourself!
FLASHCHAT

Introduce Yourself

Old 01-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #1
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Default For the Corps!

My name is Andy, I love this site and board!!!

I started with comics back in the 70s. Back then I only read Marvel (not entirely sure why now): my favorites were Tomb of Dracula, Avengers, and Warlock. After several years, I put comics away for nearly 35 (!) years, only coming back after having been blown away by "Man of Steel". This time, I mostly loved DC comics and animation, and Marvel movies. My favorite characters today are Green Lantern Corps, Superman, and Iron Man.

I had never been much interested in Green Lantern, but after having seen (and fallen in love with) the Animated Series I decided to dive right in with the Omnibus vol. 2 (the Johns era) and WHAP! I was blown away; I really didn't particularly gravitate to one Corps member (except probably Kilowog, loved his portrayal in the abovementioned series), but rather to the Corps itself, and it's been awesome fun back tracking to all the new and old Corps stories and characters.
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble, gooble gobble!

Take a look around and you'll find recommended reading for those new(ish) to the GLC. You should be able to keep up with the news here and discuss and lantern-related issue.

Have fun. Welcome.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Welcome
Old 01-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
Welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble, gooble gobble!

Take a look around and you'll find recommended reading for those new(ish) to the GLC. You should be able to keep up with the news here and discuss and lantern-related issue.

Have fun. Welcome.
I fell in love with this site long before registering. This is such a great place for fan(atics) like myself.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Welcome to the forum! We look forward to you posting and contributing. Don't be a lurker, most of us don't even bite!
Old 01-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Hi! I've already dived in, this forum is filled with way too much cool stuff to not participate.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Old 01-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #8
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Down Jeff! Down boy!!!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Welcome to the boards!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:34 AM   #10
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Down Jeff! Down boy!!!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Hey Andy,

Welcome to the board. I was a total Marvel snob, but GL was the one DC hero I couldn't get enough of, and recently finding the messed up DC Universe far more than the messed up MU.

And, 'Wog is awesome.

-Don
Old 01-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #12
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
Hey Andy,

Welcome to the board. I was a total Marvel snob, but GL was the one DC hero I couldn't get enough of, and recently finding the messed up DC Universe far more than the messed up MU.

And, 'Wog is awesome.

-Don
We're together on this! Besides The Invincible Iron Man, I really don't find the rest of the Marvel Universe as essential as it used to be. Almost like they put everything into the movies (love the movies, for the most part).
Old 01-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #13
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
We're together on this! Besides The Invincible Iron Man, I really don't find the rest of the Marvel Universe as essential as it used to be. Almost like they put everything into the movies (love the movies, for the most part).
Yeah, I dig the MU movie-verse. Iron Man has been one of the handful of decent books on their latest redux, although DD is the one Marvel book I like a bunch out of the gate. Because it still feels like a DD book. Everything else, including the ANAD Avengers feels like a giant "What IF? story...

-Don
Old 01-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #14
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I dig the MU movie-verse. Iron Man has been one of the handful of decent books on their latest redux, although DD is the one Marvel book I like a bunch out of the gate. Because it still feels like a DD book. Everything else, including the ANAD Avengers feels like a giant "What IF? story...

-Don
I'm trying to acclimate to the ANAD. I did kind of like the "Ultimates", which was a bit like the (awesome) movies. But I miss the old days (and in my case I mean the OLD days lol). I do really like Brubaker's Cap run.

When it comes to Daredevil, I just plain love that character, my favorite run with him is the Miller "Born Again". I'm currently subscribed, and am really itching to try out the Bendis years.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #15
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Welcome aboard to this board and good luck.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
My name is Andy, I love this site and board!!!

I started with comics back in the 70s. Back then I only read Marvel (not entirely sure why now): my favorites were Tomb of Dracula, Avengers, and Warlock. After several years, I put comics away for nearly 35 (!) years, only coming back after having been blown away by "Man of Steel". This time, I mostly loved DC comics and animation, and Marvel movies. My favorite characters today are Green Lantern Corps, Superman, and Iron Man.

I had never been much interested in Green Lantern, but after having seen (and fallen in love with) the Animated Series I decided to dive right in with the Omnibus vol. 2 (the Johns era) and WHAP! I was blown away; I really didn't particularly gravitate to one Corps member (except probably Kilowog, loved his portrayal in the abovementioned series), but rather to the Corps itself, and it's been awesome fun back tracking to all the new and old Corps stories and characters.

Welcome Andy, I like your enthusiasm, please don't lose it.

I'm a GLC first guy as well though I do have favorites after that.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #17
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Thanks for the awesome welcomes everybody! And if I do have a favorite it's Kilowog (didja guess?)
Old 01-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #18
Lundonj

Quote:
I'm trying to acclimate to the ANAD. I did kind of like the "Ultimates", which was a bit like the (awesome) movies. But I miss the old days (and in my case I mean the OLD days lol). I do really like Brubaker's Cap run.

When it comes to Daredevil, I just plain love that character, my favorite run with him is the Miller "Born Again". I'm currently subscribed, and am really itching to try out the Bendis years.
Bru's Cap is completely awesome, maybe my favorite Cap run of all time.

Bru's DD is just as good in my humble estimation, really, really great run.

I liked the start of Bendis DD, he had amazing artists on the book with him, but by the end, it was like watching someone strangle a kitten. I was pretty happy to see Bendis leave the series. Some fascinating bits, but written at a 'watching paint dry' speed.

Tough to top Miller for sure. Waid's DD is a bit closer to Stan Lee's run on the book, and kind of fun. But wow, Brubaker's stuff combined the best of everything.

I guess I am still somewhat of a Marvel snob after all. Part of the reason so much of their 'new' new rebooted, relaunch, redux part two flavor of the week is driving me to drink.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #19
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Bru's Cap is completely awesome, maybe my favorite Cap run of all time.

Bru's DD is just as good in my humble estimation, really, really great run.

I liked the start of Bendis DD, he had amazing artists on the book with him, but by the end, it was like watching someone strangle a kitten. I was pretty happy to see Bendis leave the series. Some fascinating bits, but written at a 'watching paint dry' speed.

Tough to top Miller for sure. Waid's DD is a bit closer to Stan Lee's run on the book, and kind of fun. But wow, Brubaker's stuff combined the best of everything.

I guess I am still somewhat of a Marvel snob after all. Part of the reason so much of their 'new' new rebooted, relaunch, redux part two flavor of the week is driving me to drink.
This is a very helpful post, thank you! I think I'll start with the Brubaker DD, since I'm simply not familiar with Bendis yet (just starting to get there). I already admire Brubaker, the Cap was practically untouchable in my eyes.

The "Born Again" arc in Daredevil means a lot to me, I just adore that story.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #20
Lundonj

Quote:
This is a very helpful post, thank you! I think I'll start with the Brubaker DD, since I'm simply not familiar with Bendis yet (just starting to get there). I already admire Brubaker, the Cap was practically untouchable in my eyes.

The "Born Again" arc in Daredevil means a lot to me, I just adore that story.
Talking DD is always fun. Talking DD on a GL board is unique. :-)

Born Again is great. Heck, even the Smith/Quesada Marvel Knights run was solid, very much in a Miller mode.

Not sure if you prefer the original comics or collected editions, but they had Bru's run in a couple nice oversized hardcovers at one point.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #21
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Talking DD is always fun. Talking DD on a GL board is unique. :-)

Born Again is great. Heck, even the Smith/Quesada Marvel Knights run was solid, very much in a Miller mode.

Not sure if you prefer the original comics or collected editions, but they had Bru's run in a couple nice oversized hardcovers at one point.
OO. I'm hitting Amazon, thanks! I go both ways, but usually the collected stuff first.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #22
Lundonj

Quote:
OO. I'm hitting Amazon, thanks! I go both ways, but usually the collected stuff first.
Outside of older comics, I kind of like the nice hardcover collections like I do cable movie channels -- no commercials!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #23
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but every time I'm on the home page looking at the title of this thread, my mind keeps seeing "For the Corgs!".

Just an interesting little side note.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #24
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP-05 View Post
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but every time I'm on the home page looking at the title of this thread, my mind keeps seeing "For the Corgs!".

Just an interesting little side note.
But that's a GOOD thing, right?

Old 01-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #25
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
But that's a GOOD thing, right?

OH, absolutely! I mean, someday, the Corgis WILL be taking over the Earth.