The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 2
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 2

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
GuyGardner368
Banned

Default Green Lantern Showcase Presents trades

I'm going over a chronology list of GL comics and see that after issue 89, GL went over to the Flash comics for about 4 years before coming back to his own series. Also, there were the Action Comics 601-634 or so issues as well. Does anyone think these issues will be put into the GL Showcase Presents trades when that time comes? What about cameos/guest-starring in Brave and the Bold or World's Finest or other team-ups etc...?

I'm only asking because it seems like Robin, Supergirl, Batgirl etc...have issues from other titles included in their Showcase Presents books.
GuyGardner368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

They'll probably include them, but personally, I hate those thick Showcase trades... they'd be great if they were good papaer and in color, but I think comics lose more than half their appeal when reprinted in black and white.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
They'll probably include them, but personally, I hate those thick Showcase trades... they'd be great if they were good papaer and in color, but I think comics lose more than half their appeal when reprinted in black and white.
Not to mention how silly it seems to be reading in black-and-white about a hero that has a color as part of their name. And of course the difficulty of stories dealing with his YELLOW weakness (though that difficulty isn't as great as it could be given that, initially at least, the writer never counted on the reader knowing about that, and so always had Hal or a narrator reminding us about the yellow weakness every time it came into play.)
Old 02-27-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
GuyGardner368
Banned

I don't think that's a problem since back then, everything was spelled out for you and your hand was held the whole time through the story. I'm sure any time there will be something yellow affecting GL, we'll know about it in his thought balloons. A character could be obviously walking down the street and he'll tell you about it in his thoughts.

I personally don't mind the Showcase trades in B&W. It's a very affordable way to read these stories that I would otherwise need to invest in some serious dough to buy the original comics or pay 50 bucks a pop for the Archives, which only have a small handfull of comics each anyway. Those are seriously overpriced.

I'd love to see newly coloured giant Showcase volumes at an affordable price but it's just not going to happen. Another reason I don't mind is that the art back then was very simple and very clear. It looks fine in B&W. I can tell what's going on. Ever read some real old issues from the 60s? The colour is muddy, the lettering is sometimes smudged. You almost want to vomit.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
RichSan

i dig 'em cause w/o the color you can see all the incredible Gil kane line work.
nothing wrong with newsprint paper-the industry used it for literally decades.
i love the old silver age stuff , sure they beat you over the head with the obvious but you have to remember they were writing these for 8yr olds at the time. a ton of old comics re-hash things that way...reminds me of something Stan Lee said " when writing my comics I tried to have a passage in the first few pgs that explained what went on before in the story, I always tried to remember that THIS comic was someones FIRST comic"
Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

When reading old comics I tend to ignore the narration... its not that hard, and you know what's narration and whats not, so I honeslty don't read them too differently than modern comics... the art just isn't anywhere as good and the coloring isn't as great... but I do like to have that coloring, thus why I don't like the Showcase/Essentials collections.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGardner368 View Post
I personally don't mind the Showcase trades in B&W. It's a very affordable way to read these stories that I would otherwise need to invest in some serious dough to buy the original comics or pay 50 bucks a pop for the Archives, which only have a small handfull of comics each anyway. Those are seriously overpriced.
I don't think they are. They have high quality reproductions of 8 or 9 issues, and if I buy them off Amazon (which I always do), they only cost $35. That's well under $5 an issue for reproductions that would, as individual back issues, cost me more than the cost of the entire Archive APIECE.

Yeah, I'd love it if they had a less expensive TPB with color and more issues per volume. But in the absence of that, I have no problem paying $35 a pop for the Archives to fill in the gaps at that end of my GL collection.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
GuyGardner368
Banned

Are they still making Archives? If so, maybe I'll get the GL ones at least. I'd love for them to at least get up to issue 89 since everything after that is easily obtainable.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:23 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Not the best person to ask on the matter, but I do know they're still doing Archives. Just... verrrryyyy... sloooowwwwlllyy...

Pretty sure the Green Lantern Archives is ongoing, but the one I care about -- Golden Age GL -- hasn't budged since Vol. 2 about 8 years ago.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

They'll never get that far in reprinting the GL series in the B+W Showcase format. They'll problably end it around #76, and restart the whole thing over in yet ANOTHER format. If they didn't finish the archive line, they won't finich with the Showcases either, and in 5 years people will be bitching that the showcase volumes they've invested so much time and money into are gone and restarted with something new...
Old 02-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
They'll never get that far in reprinting the GL series in the B+W Showcase format. They'll problably end it around #76, and restart the whole thing over in yet ANOTHER format. If they didn't finish the archive line, they won't finich with the Showcases either, and in 5 years people will be bitching that the showcase volumes they've invested so much time and money into are gone and restarted with something new...
It is somewhat frustrating. It seemed like, intitially, there was a new SA GL Archive every year. Now there is quite a wait (and as has been mentioned GA GL is SERIOUSLY languishing). I really want them to fast track the SA GL Archives and just FINISH IT OUT up to the GL/GA run (which has already been collected numerous times.) It would only take like 4 more volumes, I think.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
GuyGardner368
Banned

If the Showcases are popular, I'm sure they'll continue the trend. Just look at the Marvel Essentials. They're still going strong. There are close to 10 Amazing Spiderman Essentials already.

I'd say the absolute best choice would be to make the giant hardbacks with the first 50 issues or whatever, like they've done with Spiderman and FF. Of course these would be limited and on an per-order type basis, which would probably cost DC much less than producing tens of thousands of cheaper Showcase volumes. This way, anyone truly interested in them could get them and there's no overstock clogging up comic shops, warehouses and other bookstores, which essentially is a waste of a paper (in a time when we seriously need to stop wasting paper) plus saves space and money in these stores.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not the best person to ask on the matter, but I do know they're still doing Archives. Just... verrrryyyy... sloooowwwwlllyy...

Pretty sure the Green Lantern Archives is ongoing, but the one I care about -- Golden Age GL -- hasn't budged since Vol. 2 about 8 years ago.
Kind of shitting when you remember that there was only 35 issues of GL granted you need the All American stuff but just GL is 35 issues and thats it!
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #14
GreenLanternGeek

I enjoy the Showcase editions alot better then trying to find al whole series of comics that I won't read because I'm afraid I'll mess them up
Old 03-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanternGeek View Post
I enjoy the Showcase editions alot better then trying to find al whole series of comics that I won't read because I'm afraid I'll mess them up
I like both formats a lot. Showcase is great for quick, easy reference since it holds so many stories per volume. When I'm trying to explain some of the early GL stuff to a friend visiting the house, it is easier to bust out the full color Archive editions to show them about it versus busting out my Silver Age comics out of storage.

Same with the trade collections of other GL stories along the way for Hal and Kyle (not too many for Guy or John outside of JL appearances).

-Don
Old 03-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #16
Prime
Attention Whore

I like these trades. I don't have to spend a ton of money just to get the same comics in color.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
Myth

I wish they weren't so expensive.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #18
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I got the first showcase trade awhile back for Christmas from my girl's little brother. I saw it's where the phrase "great guardians!" made it's first appearance as well as some other interesting moments in Hal's history. I think what I've made through so far, my favorite story was about the aliens on a different vibrational dimension. I think it may have even had the Flash in that story.

~KL~
Old 03-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #19
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post
I wish they weren't so expensive.
Dude... the black and white Showcase trades were only $10 I thought. That's what made them so great. I still plan on getting the Metamorpho one as well as some others.

~KL~
Old 03-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #20
Prime
Attention Whore

Yeah it's those other Archive collections that are like $50. The showcase ones may be black and white but they sure are as hell a good buy.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #21
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah something like 500 pages for $10, who gives a damn if they're black and white! I know what color the constructs are.

Anybody else think it may have been Moose who recolored the image on the cover? It looked a lot better than some coloring job of the 70's....

~KL~
Old 03-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #22
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

I was just reading Showcase GL volume 1, I gotta admit it was pretty easy to follow even without the color and while the SA stories can be a little cheesy the book was very well written and the art top notch.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:12 AM   #23
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Are these worth getting? I was reading some of the HTH with GL/GA from the 70's. But I can't stomach some of the cheesy-ness. I love extra cheese on my pizza as much as the next guy. Maybe it's just cuz the 70's were effed up? But I'm not enjoying it that much. But I might like the stuff from the 40's an 50's???
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #24
GreenLanternGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
Are these worth getting? I was reading some of the HTH with GL/GA from the 70's. But I can't stomach some of the cheesy-ness. I love extra cheese on my pizza as much as the next guy. Maybe it's just cuz the 70's were effed up? But I'm not enjoying it that much. But I might like the stuff from the 40's an 50's???
Yeah I'm not a big fan of campieness or cheesey-ness too but I enjoy these books for the history of the character