This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    ^So you actually think there are massive amounts of comic fans out there who are thinking "I'd really like to give that Green Lantern a try, but only if he gives up the ability to do make whatever he wants"?

You are literally the only person I've ever read/heard who thinks Green Lantern can be separated from construct making. The next closest I can think of is a friend of mine who said (probably in the 90s) that he didn't think they could make a GL movie because of the constructs, but even he couldn't conceive of the property without them. And I think that's how most outsiders think of him--he's that guy who can do whatever he wants with his ring. For myself, when I explain what he is to non-comic-readers, I say "he can make whatever he wants with his ring and . . . "

The constructs are not the equivalent of Aquaman's scale shirt. They're the equivalent of his aquatelepathy and ability to breathe under water. They're not the equivalent of Wonder Woman's jet. They're the equivalent of her strength and lasso of truth. And we saw what happened when they tried to remove those from her. It would be more truthful to the stories to upgrade the Darkstars slightly to what you want than to degrade the GLC that much.

When Nodell and Finger created GL they wanted to name him Alan Ladd because the concept was based on Aladdin. Even when Schwartz recreated the concept with a sci-fi twist and a large nod to the Lensman books, he knew he had to keep that element. Super heroes are modern myths (especially in DC) and the mythological core of GL is a wish-granting ring. If constructs are outdated and unmarketable than GL itself is outdated and unmarketable.
    And Alan can keep the constructs. They won't hurt the JSA.

Comment

• They will ALL keep their constructs. It's only in your fanfiction that they don't have them.

Comment

• I think you have to actually be a fan for it to be FANfiction. I'm not sure I've ever seen him praise anything other than Beau Smith's Warrior.

~//V\\~

Comment

• Fuck Warrior. That whole thing was garbage. Thank God Johns jettisoned that two seconds in.

Comment

• DC immediately did what I said, and it went from running a distant second in comics sales for 50 straight years into a dead heat with Marvel. Marvel then blundered by refusing to do the same thing, and instead launched new titles that starred its top characters.

So a couple of you guys respond to that by saying that that wasn't my idea. No, it was Marvel's idea because they published five titles 18 times a year.

When a little kid says something that goofy, you smile, tousle his hair and tell him to go outside and play.

Comment

• Since you like to post the same rhetoric in EVERY single thread, they should just be merged. You're still on that "publishing 18 issues a year" kick and I already linked how Marvel did more than that and your facts are wrong like always.

-------------------

Marvel published Amazing Spiderman twice a month, then three times a month, and for specific storylines up to five times a month. I don't need to read an entire thread from years ago to know you're already looking at the facts wrong... just like always. 18 issues a year, PLEASE. You know Marvel milks the cow more than that.

And cancelling low sellers to make way for new/more popular product is a NEW thing now? That's how the business has been run for decades. Half the time publishers will give a 3rd string book to new talent just to see how that talent handles itself. First chance they get they're put on another Batman title or Superman book. Francis Manapul was on Legion of Superheroes first... now look at everything he's done since. Tom King was on Omega Men, then Grayson [which we all knew was gonna be cancelled to bring back Nightwing], and then... Batman.

A multi-million dollar company doesn't have people trolling the internet looking for ideas. Sometimes great minds think alike, other times people use something called common sense in situations, and other times you get a cocky executive or editor who likes to take risks. None of those situations involve multiple people looking to you for professional advise through various message boards. As if stalking you on one forum isn't ludicrous enough, you claim they're watching you on MULTIPLE forums now?

Somebody quote me so the dipstick might learn something. Publishing up to 3-5 times a month after the success of twice a month publishing for Amazing Spiderman had the title moving forward exponentially fast. You WISH you came up with the idea of twice a month publishing.

~//V\\~
              Ωmega Man
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-23-2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• I can picture the office meeting at DC between the editors and publishers, about 30 of them, all ready to hang themselves or jump out the window because they can't think of any possible way to turn sales around. One guy is just about to drink a glass of water with cyanide in it when BAM! One guy is standing on a ledge outside. The doors fly open and a pimply faced young intern bursts in and said, "Guy's! I've got it! That guy on CBR and the GLC forum who's posts it's my job to read? He says we should make our titles bi-weekly!"

The room errupts into cheers. Paper is flying everywhere. Men are hugging. Champagne bottles are popping. It's like mission control for astronauts after they save the ship. It's euphoric. Paul Levitz slumps back in his seat looking at a picture in a frame of Julius Schwartz in his hands and he has tears rolling down his cheeks. "We did it Julie. We DID it."

They actually have a 14 foot tall mural right now of Foghorn Leghorn dressed as a Green Lantern in the DC offices in tribute. His ring does NOT make constructs.

Comment

• Tell you what. If DC brings the LoS permanently to the present, I'll say that was not my idea. Because, of course, in the 1960s Saturn Girl went back in time to the present on a few occasions. I'll say it was the idea of Otto Binder or whoever write those old stories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                    Tell you what. If DC brings the LoS permanently to the present, I'll say that was not my idea. Because, of course, in the 1960s Saturn Girl went back in time to the present on a few occasions. I'll say it was the idea of Otto Binder or whoever write those old stories.
                    You would be willing to DO that? You know you really don't HAVE to. That's very big of you.

Comment

• Legion LOST.

LEGION LOST.

Damn does this guy have some weird comprehension disability?

Legion Lost was set in the present. And it failed. Nobody's talking about shit from the 60's but you. This happened in the last 5-6 years at the birth of the New52. It's not the concept that needs altered, it's the execution in characterization.

And again... how many ***damn threads is THIS argument gonna get thrown into? This topic is supposed to focus on GL Sales Numbers.

EDIT: He'll admit it wasn't his idea LMFAO.

~//V\\~
                      Ωmega Man
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Ωmega Man; 05-23-2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• They have to change what they're doing. They've got no choice. The sales numbers demand it. And most of the needed changes are easy to recognize.

They took their first wrong turn when they nuked everything just so they could push Kyle. And they took the second one when they paid only lip service to bringing back what they had nuked, and instead completely reinvented the property.

The changes that are needed in the original concept are negligible compared to the radical changes that Geoff carried out in super-slow motion over a decade and that they've got to undo, if they want to salvage the property. If they don't make them then they can write the property off, because it'll never sell the way it is now.

It's hard to admit that you've spent years screwing up something you care about. But the numbers tell the sad story about this. If a lot of customers try your product and then drop it, then your product is the problem.
                        Trey Strain
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-24-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• I'm surprised the creative team hasn't been shuffled around yet. That's usually one of the first things to try when sales are sinking. You have the choices of creative team changes, drastic story changes, or cancellation.

I'd cancel both books now to make it appear ending them was on DC's terms for creative reasons and not embarrass the franchise by doing it when sales DO get bad. Then launch a new title or two with a modified direction and new creative team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                            I'm surprised the creative team hasn't been shuffled around yet. That's usually one of the first things to try when sales are sinking. You have the choices of creative team changes, drastic story changes, or cancellation.

I'd cancel both books now to make it appear ending them was on DC's terms for creative reasons and not embarrass the franchise by doing it when sales DO get bad. Then launch a new title or two with a modified direction and new creative team.
                            It's not the writers. If John Steinbeck wrote it the way it is now, it would suck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                              You would be willing to DO that? You know you really don't HAVE to. That's very big of you.
                              I'll say that Dan DiDio and Jim Lee held a seance and that the ghost of Otto Binder told them to bring the LoS to the present, so the Legion could take part in DC's shared universe. And I'll further say that, amazingly, Binder told them to do it on the very same day I posted that idea.

Comment

• Here's the info on Legion Lost from the New52 series. Somebody quote me or PM this shit to him so he'll quit wasting time blowing his own horn.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/legion-lost/4050-42686/

A New 52 volume featuring a group of Legion of Super-Heroes members stranded in the present day DCU written by Fabian Nicieza, with art by Pete Woods. The other members of the Legion are to appear in Legion of Super-Heroes, also part of the New 52. The current members of the team are Wildfire, Tyroc, Timber Wolf, Dawnstar, Tellus, Gates and Chameleon girl.]

The first arc/collection was titled "Run From Tomorrow".

Saying you came up with the idea of the Legion in the present a thousand times doesn't make it any more believable. It's been done. Time and again. Before and after this little rant of yours. I swear... I think dude's really got dementia. Or he just doesn't educate himself on what's actually on the shelves... like when he asked why the Bat-Universe isn't the PC corner of the DCU that GL has become... LMAO!

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
                                X