Green Lantern: Lost Army #2 Preview
    Writer: Cullen Bunn
    Artist: Jesus Saiz

0.00%
    12.50%
    50.00%
    12.50%
    25.00%

Four stars. Too many questions, probably because of plot being hidden from the audience, but artwork at least was consistent, the dialogue believable, and surprises were pleasant. I guess I have to live with this artwork, instead of the clean penciling of Dan Jurgens in Zero Hour. Or even the superior construct colors of retro Kyle Rayner or new52 Hal Jordan/Sinestro.

So we ended with our Green Lantern Corps "squad" along with a younger, less abrasive Krona looking at a previous-universe Central Power Pyramid of Wrath. Krona insists that the GLs can recharge their green rings at the Pyramid, not just Guy Gardner's red ring, and John Stewart appears ready to try when someone else intervenes.
    spoilers
    It's Wrath Lightsmiths, but there are some inconsistencies. The first is they're not titans, like Relic was in our universe. The second is that their staffs don't give off the red light of rage like Red Lanterns do, or even constructs, as Relic's memories showed. No, they just shoot red crystals that engulf a target on contact, a little like Star Sapphires. Minus one review star for that.

During the long fight we find out Krona's spacesuit has some defensive capability, the GLs are lacking in teamwork (even with John, Guy, and Kilowog there), but they do save each other at the last second. The Wrath Lightsmiths retreat, and something strange happens. When enough GLs approach the Central Power Pyramid, it changes from Red to Green. And not just any green energy, but enough to make the GL's rings go to 200% and cause Arisia to feel all nice and tingly. I added one review star for the difference between Central Power Batteries and Central Power Pyramids.

John Stewart is pondering this when someone else interrupts him - Relic.

Lots of still-unanswered questions in this issue. Are the GLs really back in time? Can they keep their mouths shut long enough to not mess up their own futures (sorry, Guy)? Does each Lightsmith "tribe" not have their own Central Power Pyramid, but fight over them to acquire and lose territory across their universe as the CPPs change colors? Who are the Overlords mentioned? Will Relic help or hinder the GLs, or is this how his mission to destroy the emotional spectrum wielders started? What makes Krona so single-minded in his future? Why are the Reds so different from what we were shown from Relic's memories of before?

I am reminded of the Superman issue years back that had him going to the Fourth World via Boom Tube and finding out that the Boom Tube re-sizes people as they transit through them, because the New Gods really were titans, we just didn't know it. There was also that JLA issue about "Tomorrow World"? Where the superheroes of another universe were titans compared to the JLA.

Comment

I dug the issue, best GL title coming out right now me thinks, and lots of unanswered questions. I like the flashbacks to John in the middle east, the compasion is apt, just wish they came back to it in the same issue to draw more parrallels between a ground war and what the GL's are experiencing now. I would love to see someone actually run out of power and "guppy" in space for air, dying as the other lanterns watch helplessly before they got their power back.

I think they should really stick with the war motifs, but I would also like to see them actually land someplace as well. Floating in space is getting kind of boring.

Willing to stay on board to find out what happened to them and find out more answers...
      http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

I liked it overall. It looked pretty good. Guy owning the "Christmas Lantern" moniker is funny because you know one of us would have said it if the comic didn't beat us to it.

Small quibble: John wouldn't refer to himself as a "soldier." Marines are marines. He might say "warrior" if he wanted to distinguish himself as a fighter and not just USMC, but he wouldn't say "soldier."

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
        It's Wrath Lightsmiths, but there are some inconsistencies. The first is they're not titans, like Relic was in our universe. The second is that their staffs don't give off the red light of rage like Red Lanterns do, or even constructs, as Relic's memories showed. No, they just shoot red crystals that engulf a target on contact, a little like Star Sapphires. Minus one review star for that.
        I don't know. I have a feeling they are going to deal with that too. The comic seems very aware of how things do or don't mesh with what they know about Krona and Relic('s universe).

Comment

I'm in agreement, SpaceCop. What the DC staff really needs is

#1 - a continuity expert, who commissions a 50'x8' mural in the DC hallway to the cubicle farm showing the last 70 years of DC events, with highlights showing errors and important instances. Said person would have final editorial veto over any future plans. Said person would eventually get aides and database experts who would digitize the person into an expert system the writers/editors would use in future planning. You could advertise for the position at any major city's comic convention by simply showing a single poster-board-sized cover clearly out of continuity with the Silver Age comics, and seeing which participant fan goes into a screaming fit at the sight of it.

#2 - a retired USMC Sergeants Major also on that editorial staff whose job it would be to read all comics while in draft form and correct dialogue, patch location, lingo, hierarchy, etc. He wouldn't have veto power but a SGM doesn't need veto power as long as his lungs hold out. Just re-paint the walls in the cubicle farm every month or so. He wouldn't need a telephone or a speaker system but just a steady supply of coffee.

Comment

#1 - a continuity expert, who commissions a 50'x8' mural in the DC hallway to the cubicle farm showing the last 70 years of DC events, with highlights showing errors and important instances. . .
            Supposedly, the last several Star Trek shows had just such a person, who was supposed to keep it all straight and say things like "but when Kirk encountered the Organians . . ."
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 07-17-2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Don't sweat it, guys. This is the NEW Flash52crisisvergencepoint.

Comment

Late poll.

Comment

I'm in agreement, SpaceCop. What the DC staff really needs is

#1 - a continuity expert, who commissions a 50'x8' mural in the DC hallway to the cubicle farm showing the last 70 years of DC events, with highlights showing errors and important instances. Said person would have final editorial veto over any future plans. Said person would eventually get aides and database experts who would digitize the person into an expert system the writers/editors would use in future planning. You could advertise for the position at any major city's comic convention by simply showing a single poster-board-sized cover clearly out of continuity with the Silver Age comics, and seeing which participant fan goes into a screaming fit at the sight of it.

#2 - a retired USMC Sergeants Major also on that editorial staff whose job it would be to read all comics while in draft form and correct dialogue, patch location, lingo, hierarchy, etc. He wouldn't have veto power but a SGM doesn't need veto power as long as his lungs hold out. Just re-paint the walls in the cubicle farm every month or so. He wouldn't need a telephone or a speaker system but just a steady supply of coffee.
                  1. But that's what the New 52 was supposed to do. It was supposed to throw off the crushing burden on 80 years continuity and thus make the comics more friendly to new readers and to its writers.

2. That's what editors are supposed to do.

Comment

@jhpace1: I don't think the pyramid changed colour because of the Green Lanterns aproaching it but because they began to recharge their rings? And Guy could have charged his red ring but, like he said, he should have done that before the pyramid changed to green. If he were to do it now, it would turn back to red again...

At least, that's how I read it

I like the story so far. At least enough to keep reading to find out what's going to happen. They're in Relic's Universe so that means they travelled eons back in time. Krona the Guardian is still a relative young man and we all know how old the little blue guys are supposed to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Ales Majer2 View Post
                      @jhpace1: I don't think the pyramid changed colour because of the Green Lanterns aproaching it but because they began to recharge their rings? And Guy could have charged his red ring but, like he said, he should have done that before the pyramid changed to green. If he were to do it now, it would turn back to red again...

At least, that's how I read it
                      That's exactly how I took it.

Comment

Working...
                      X