Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recap: Green Lantern at Emerald City Comicon 2012

Green Lantern at Emerald City Comicon 2012

So you couldn't make it to the northwest where coffee and comics reigned supreme this weekend? Don't worry, as usual, I'm willing to give you are fix of Green Lantern news. The Emerald City Comicon was this weekend and below you will find the Green Lantern related tidbits given then.

~ During the DC All Access Panel, came a question about Green Lantern’s varying personalities, in that he seems to act one way in his self-titled book and another way in Justice League. Editor Brian Cunningham agreed that the Hal Jordan seen in JL “can definitely be a handful.” He explained that Geoff Johns had been writing Green Lantern so long that he’s having to adjust the character to the new 52 realities. The editor said it’s occurring, but subtly. He told fans to expect the Justice League Hal to show up “more and more” in Green Lantern.

While others were enjoying Day 2 of ECCC'12, many of us lantern fans were watching the latest episode of Green Lantern: The Animated Series. Series Producer Giancarlo Volpe let loose thumbnails and a brief rundown of what happens after those are made and other notes. Check out more thumbnails here, here, here, and finally here.

The Guy Gardner featured Justice League International will be getting some "new faces", which is already evident as Batwing as recently entered the book. This may lead to the exit for the hothead Green Lantern, as current Green Lantern Corps writer Peter Tomasi alluded to last year that he wasn't sure how long Guy would last in JLI.

Back on the animation front, Buzz Focus had a Q&A with DC Nation producer Ben Jones and also GL:TAS producers Giancarlo Volpe & Jim Kreig.

Unfortunately, that's all the GL related bits from Emerald City. We're already gearing up for San Diego, but there's still C2E2 and other cons to hit before then. Until then, we'll have to rely solely on the enjoyment of the comics and tv show. Poor little lantern fans.

Thanks. Our man at the scene. So, do you get to wear one of these?

I'd totally do that.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
      He explained that Geoff Johns had been writing Green Lantern so long that he’s having to adjust the character to the new 52 realities. The editor said it’s occurring, but subtly. He told fans to expect the Justice League Hal to show up “more and more” in Green Lantern.
      What a horrible, horrible thing to hear. Couple this with Evil Guardians and Mary Sue-nestro, and I really MIGHT end up doing the unthinkable and dropping GL.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
        What a horrible, horrible thing to hear. Couple this with Evil Guardians and Mary Sue-nestro, and I really MIGHT end up doing the unthinkable and dropping GL.
        West posted elsewhere that he thought the guy misspoke and meant it the other way around, but I don't think we have confirmation one way or the other yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
          West posted elsewhere that he thought the guy misspoke and meant it the other way around
          That makes it even worse! Wuss Hal in the Justice League?!
          The last fan of 1990s comics
          Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            West posted elsewhere that he thought the guy misspoke and meant it the other way around, but I don't think we have confirmation one way or the other yet.
            I don't think the comment makes SENSE the other way around. It is talking about Johns taking a while to adapt Green Lantern Hal (who he has written for a long time) into JL Hal (who he just started writing). Reversing that wouldn't seem logical.

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
              I wouldn't worry about that too much. Unless Sinestro shows up in Justice League, there's no reason to downplay Hal's competence that much.

Comment

That DC Nation Short reminds me of what of they said about the DC original animated movies, less Batman and Superman, yet they ended up dominated the films. I'm fairly positive that WB's vile influence will do the same.

Plus why no flash? He doesn't have anything at current minute (and unless he had a movie, I doubt that he will have an animated series), or even Wonder Woman for that matter. They haven't been using those two characters, but they freely admitted to using Batman and Superman to lead shorts. Talk about screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                  Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                  I don't think the comment makes SENSE the other way around. It is talking about Johns taking a while to adapt Green Lantern Hal (who he has written for a long time) into JL Hal (who he just started writing). Reversing that wouldn't seem logical.
                  You could be right and probably are. I would've taken it to mean that 5-year-ago Hal was an a-hole and he has to remember to tone that down in the current continuity, but that's probably just vain hope.

Comment

Does this mean in Wonder Woman's book she's going to spout off 3-4 cheesy lines per issue and say nothing else.....?

Comment

As someone who's not reading JL, can someone explain to me in a few words how the JL-Hal is compared the the GL-Hal?

Comment

In the last issue of JL, a woman is almost killed by her ex-husband after he had mutated into some monster type thing. As Hal flys in and rescues this woman, again, freshly traumatized by her mutant ex-husband, Hal hits on her.

I have no problem with Hal trying to get his, but that was absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitey View Post
                          As someone who's not reading JL, can someone explain to me in a few words how the JL-Hal is compared the the GL-Hal?
                          They're making him a kind of comedic relief, a lot like how Flash was in the Justice League cartoon but somehow much more annoying; silly quips, self-important, skirt-chaser.

Comment

I really wanted to check out some of the other panels, but I only attended the show on Saturday... and after spending 3 hours of the con in line for Summer Glau (9-12), I wasn't waiting in any more lines.

Comment

Hal just seems kinda cheesy in the current JL series. Let's get him a lil more serious please??

Comment

Working...
                              X