The Green Lantern #8 Preview + Interview
    Writer: Grant Morrison
    Artist: Liam Sharp

0.00%
    0.00%
    40.00%
    60.00%
    0.00%

Truly a great issue, I about laughed out loud at a few panels.

Comment

Of course Morrison would be the one to bring back "Xeen Arrow." Fun issue, but I was honestly hoping for a new perspective on their relationship rather than something that seemed like it could have just been a missing issue from the old days. I mean, Morrison's take on Hal makes it a little new, and I don't recall Ollie being so judgemental of low-level criminals, what with his bleeding heart.

The whole "shooting an arrow to the moon" thing was kinda brilliantly comic-booky though.

Comment

As much as the homage was fun, I was actually a bit disappointed. The rest of this Morrison run has been more interesting anyway, as this issue seemed to be tripping over more easter eggs than telling a story. In an era where comics and stories take themselves too serious, I should have enjoyed it more. Maybe the second and third time through will improve my initial take.
        “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

So the Sinestro at the end is almost certainly not the main universe's Sinestro.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
            So the Sinestro at the end is almost certainly not the main universe's Sinestro.
            I'm starting to wonder if the whole Morrison Season 1 is its own place and time. Not quite an Elseworlds but an echo of things that occurred to Hal along the way from the Silver Age, to Bronze to now.
            “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

No matter how heavy it was on Easter eggs, I thought Sharp did an amazing job in doing Adams style for that bit where the guy views Hal and Ollie while tripping. It was pretty impressive that the nod was instantly recognizable while still fitting Sharp's style.

Comment

No argument from me regarding the quality of the art. I've become a big Liam Sharpe fan in this run.

Comment

I finally got to read #8 today. I thought it was a super fun read, with the style of art and even panel layouts being a straight up Adam's homage. Heck, the story was written as something Denny O'Neal would have come up with in his prime. Good times man.

Comment

Originally posted by Lundonj View Post
                    I'm starting to wonder if the whole Morrison Season 1 is its own place and time. Not quite an Elseworlds but an echo of things that occurred to Hal along the way from the Silver Age, to Bronze to now.
                    Yea, while this book is in continuity it's pretty clear that Morrison is ignoring what's happening in the larger DCU. Which is probably for the best as there's already too many competing voices there between Snyder, Bendis and King.

Comment

While I appreciated the "Green Lantern and Green Arrow" teamup reminiscent of the 80s, I found the "drug" plot slightly confusing and multiplex, and the "Xeen" inclusion to be totally confusing.

If we're going to have transdimensional crossovers, they need to be explained a bit more, especially if the main story is alien drug cartels. I mean, the only item the planetary assassin on the Moon was missing was the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator from Marvin the Martian. (Potential cameo?)

Comment

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
                        While I appreciated the "Green Lantern and Green Arrow" teamup reminiscent of the 80s, I found the "drug" plot slightly confusing and multiplex, and the "Xeen" inclusion to be totally confusing...
                        Agreed. It felt like there were several missing pages that explained exactly what the evil plan was.

Comment

Working...
                        X