The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 07-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Default Why I have absolutely no sympathy for Harry Potter fans...

... any questions?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Send a message via MSN to ion.nai

I quite enjoyed the Starship Troopers movie.
However, it is by no means comparable to the great work that Mr. Heinlein produced.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
Why I have absolutely no sympathy for Harry Potter fans...

... any questions?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

I never knew it was a book.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Morph
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion.nai View Post
I quite enjoyed the Starship Troopers movie.
However, it is by no means comparable to the great work that Mr. Heinlein produced.
Yeah I found it funny after reading the book that they are supposed to be geared up in suits that are equivalent to walking tanks. Not running around fighting in as little armor as possible.

Everybody who lives dies, but not everybody who dies has lived - No Fear
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Morph
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
I never knew it was a book.
Please tell me you are referring to Starship Troopers. I can understand that. Cause if you mean Harry Potter I sadly just lost respect for you.

Everybody who lives dies, but not everybody who dies has lived - No Fear
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Starship Troopers was an EXECELLENT movie (good book too, even if slanted somewat).....and I agree w/Parry 100%

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Last edited by Tazer; 07-24-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Chicago_GL
Weaponer of Qward

Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago_GL

hey I'm a potter fan, and also a fan of starship troopers

Chicago_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
Please tell me you are referring to Starship Troopers. I can understand that. Cause if you mean Harry Potter I sadly just lost respect for you.
Um, I think he meant Starship Troopers.

And that movie was a lot of fun.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Definitely meant Starship Troopers. I haven't seen that movie in a while but I think I liked it. lol
Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Think that's crazy.....

The book Battlefield Earth was actually not too bad. Compare that to the movie.......
Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

They didn't even manage to get the main character's name right in Starship Troopers, never mind the fact that the war had three sides, not just us vs the bugs, or the fact that Dizzy was a MAN and only appeared in like all of 2 sentences... I mean, in the book: Johnny's father survived, Carl died, Johnny went through officer's training, Raczack was NOT his HS teacher... I could seriously just keep going on and on... and the squads, as mentioned, were made up of a handful of men in powered suits, not dozens of people in minor amounts of armor with big ass guns... you've seen the G.I. Joe trailers, right? Those suits make that movie more closely resemble the Starship Troopers book than the Starship Troopers movie did... now THATs sad.

Basically... the movie had pretty much nothing in common with the book outside of the title.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #13
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

You think THAT'S bad? Try being a Hellblazer fan, and having to live with the Keanu Reeves Constantine movie! Answering people's questions about that flick is always a time and a half...
Old 07-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #14
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Constantine was a better adaptation of Hellblazer than Starship Troopers was of Starship Troopers... seriously... read teh book.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
You think THAT'S bad? Try being a Hellblazer fan, and having to live with the Keanu Reeves Constantine movie! Answering people's questions about that flick is always a time and a half...
Then you won't like the idea of a sequel being planned would you?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #16
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
I hate prequels.

Why does Hollywood think that just because I liked a particular movie, that I want to know what every character did before the movie.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #17
IonFan
Forum Member

ok i don't get it

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #18
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Quote:
I still didn't really get what was going on in that movie either, and I've read Hellblazer before.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 AM   #19
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
ok i don't get it
This is a spinoff from the "Last movie you saw" thread, in which Parry and I discussed the quality (or lack of quality, depending on who you ask) of the last Potter movie. When I complained that the movie cut scenes and entire subplots from the book, added new ones, skipped minor details like the identity of the traitor or, say, the reason for the title of the movie... Parry created this thread.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:37 AM   #20
IonFan
Forum Member

ummmm ok

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:28 AM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:

If they just move on by not referring to the first one or tying themselves to it, and star someone like Sean Bean and set it in England, then I'd be fine with it!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:43 AM   #22
Lantern Kreon
Weaponer of Qward

Send a message via AIM to Lantern Kreon Send a message via Yahoo to Lantern Kreon

What's great about the movie is that it seemed like the director was just kinda like "damn...it's been like 30 seconds since we showed something being killed...I guess we better put some tits on the screen."
Old 07-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #23
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
ok i don't get it
Harry Potter fans ahve been complaining about the new movie... but I can't feel sympathy for them becasue Starship Troopers is my favorite book of all time... and the movie had absolutely nothing to do with it outside of the title, a few characters' names, and a bug like race that we're at war with (which isn't even the focus of the book, but is the entire focus of all three movies, as well as the series that came shortly after the first film).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
This is a spinoff from the "Last movie you saw" thread, in which Parry and I discussed the quality (or lack of quality, depending on who you ask) of the last Potter movie. When I complained that the movie cut scenes and entire subplots from the book, added new ones, skipped minor details like the identity of the traitor or, say, the reason for the title of the movie... Parry created this thread.
Basically... yeah... but it was more in response to hearing it everywhere (onine and off), not just from you.

Quote:
ummmm ok
... ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Kreon View Post
What's great about the movie is that it seemed like the director was just kinda like "damn...it's been like 30 seconds since we showed something being killed...I guess we better put some tits on the screen."
Thats Paul Verhoven for you... and there's nothing wrong with that... but he could've made that movie, changed the names of the characters, and called it something else entirely, and no one would've been the wiser... save for a couple of old sci-fi book fans (like my father, who put me onto the book when I was a kid, and thus kids like me) saying stuff like "Y'know, the bug war in that movie is kinda, sorta, almost similar to this old book from the 50's."
Old 07-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #24
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
If they just move on by not referring to the first one or tying themselves to it, and star someone like Sean Bean and set it in England, then I'd be fine with it!
John Simm. Get John Simm.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 AM   #25
Jack T. Chance
Really knows where his towel is!

Location: The Planet Garnet, AKA "Hellhole", Space Sector 0017
Exclamation

What's that you say? You're a fan of Robert A. Heinlein's novel Starship Troopers? Ever found yourself wishing there was a First-Person Shooter video game based on the BOOK, rather than the movies?

Well, sadly, that is NOT going to happen... the only attempt to make such a game happened about a decade ago, and was canceled before it ever made it onto store shelves.

BUT... on August 25th, we will FINALLY be able to buy an FPS that is the closest thing we're ever likely to get!

Join Section 8!

The Good:
  • Come screaming down onto the battlefield after being launched out of a drop-ship, just like the Mobile Infantry!
  • Storm across the battlefield in proper powered armor, right out of the Starship Troopers novel, complete with jump jets that allow you to take to the air!
  • Customize your armor as you play to make it even more powerful!
  • Call in heavy support vehicles (tanks) as needed!
The Bad:
  • Instead of fighting alien races, you'll be battling against a rival human faction, equipped with powered armor and weapons similar to your own.
Still, it's the closest we're likely to ever get to a proper Starship Troopers game, so pick it up and enjoy it!

Now, back to the issue of powered armor in the movies. When Paul Verhoeven made the first movie in 1997, his budget did not allow for doing the photo-realistic bugs AND powered armor, that's why the powered armor is nowhere to be seen. He had intended to include the powered armor in the sequel, but that idea was nixed when the second movie was done as a low-budget B-movie that went directly to cable and DVD.

However... the Marauder armor DOES finally make an appearance in last year's 3rd movie, Starship Troopers 3: Marauder! While you only get to see it in action for a few minutes at the end of the movie (owing to the film once again having a lower budget due to its direct-to-DVD nature) the Marauder suits ARE there, and it was nice to finally see them on-screen, even if they're still not quite what Heinlein described. The movie's version of the Marauder suit is more like a miniature battle mech, which is the same idea used in the CGI animated series Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, where the Marauders were heavy support suits, larger and more powerful than the typical power suit that everyone in the MI wore.

Just for the sake of reference, here's some pictures and additional info...

based on Heinlein's descriptions in the novel, the only adaptation of Starship Troopers that accurately portrayed the Mobile Infantry's Marauder powered armor suits is the extremely hard to find anime OVA series, produced in 1988 and never officially released in the US, so finding a copy can be quite hard. Here's the anime's take on the Marauder suits:

As you can see, it looks very much like something the military would make. Utilitarian, and a case of function over form. Several years ago, a Japanese toy manufacturer put out die-cast metal action figures of the "Powered Armor" (I guess they didn't want to pay for the rights to the Starship Troopers name) and they're very nice, it was even offered in 3 different color schemes and was even sold at Electronics Boutique, If I Remember Correctly. I think that's where I picked mine up, at any rate. Very cool figures of the armor as Heinlein described it. It basically looks like an armored space suit, with jump jets and the "Y-rack" bomb launcher on the back, just like Heinlein described in the novel.

Then of course you have the Marauders seen in Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles as heavy support suits. Only 2 are sent out per squad, and they had 2 completely different designs, too:

And then of course, you have the first appearance in live-action in Starship Troopers 3: Marauder. These suits are very similar to what was seen in the CGI animated series, standing 10-12 feet tall and covered with very heavy weaponry. There's also at least 2 different weapon load-outs, the difference being which guns are mounted on the arms:

As expected, the Marauders make short work of a very large swarm of bugs!

The same week ST3 came out on DVD, a boxed set of all 3 films was released as Starship Troopers Trilogy. If you bought the Best Buy Exclusive version of the boxed set, as I did, you received with it an 8" tall figurine of one of the Marauder suits from the film!

Best Buy stocked these HEAVILY in their stores, and many of the Best Buys in my area STILL have these sets sitting there, gathering dust... or at least they DID, last time I checked, anyway. It's a really good deal, because it typically sells for about $40 and gives you all 3 films PLUS that sweet figurine!

There's an even higher quality figure of that suit due out this fall. It will be 6" tall, made of die-cast metal, fully articulated, has swappable arm guns so you can display whichever weapons configuration you prefer, and it's being manufactured by Yamato USA and distributed by Sideshow Collectibles. In other words... it'll be a LOT more expensive than buying the DVD boxed set at Best Buy.

I guess at this point, I should mention that Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers is just about my favorite SF novel of all time, so yeah, I'm a goddamn GEEK about it! I just wish Sony Pictures/Columbia/Tri-Star would get off their lazy asses and bring a DVD release of the anime OVA to Region 1! I've always wanted to see that damn thing, and I've never been able to do so!

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 07-30-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Jack T. Chance is offline   Reply With Quote