The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
GLantern_2814
Corps Recruit

Default Space Cops?

Law Enforcement Officers in the real world are tasked with more that just police action and patroling their areas. Many times the more interesting work is the investigative process. I was just wondering if there are any Green Lantern storylines with this type of focus. Maybe where the Lanterns are "investigating crimes" more than they are "fighting the bad guys?" I love the action in Green Lantern, but I think that this would be a great type of story as well. To be cliche: "CSI: Green Lantern." lol. Thanks!!!
GLantern_2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Hmmm, the most recent thing close to that was probably the final issue of Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors that featured Batman. It wasn't much of a procedural but it was a bit more than the typical show up, fight and arrest story.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

The first story arc in the Green Lantern Corps Volume Whatever # preceded this stupid New52 Bullshit was an example of that.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

My memory is spotty on the actual issue, but I think Iolande's story featured some "investigation".

But GLs don't really try to solve crimes like a detective. They mostly go to big, galactic emergencies.

Or just fight amongst themselves and their bosses.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

It would be cool to see more of, though, especially since the ring is a perfect evidence-gatherer.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
The first story arc in the Green Lantern Corps Volume Whatever # preceded this stupid New52 Bullshit was an example of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
My memory is spotty on the actual issue, but I think Iolande's story featured some "investigation".

But GLs don't really try to solve crimes like a detective. They mostly go to big, galactic emergencies.

Or just fight amongst themselves and their bosses.
That's what I was referencing.

Green Lantern Corps Volume 2 Issues #1 - #3
To Be A Lantern
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
GLantern_2814
Corps Recruit

Thanks for the responses. I've actually read that arc. It sort of fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
It would be cool to see more of, though, especially since the ring is a perfect evidence-gatherer.
I agree that it would be nice to see the "procedural" mixed in with all the other stuff that makes GL great.
GLantern_2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

At the end of GL Rebirth and the beginning of the pre-New52 GL title had Hal Jordan using code numbers for specific situations like cops. For example an alien aircraft in the vicinity had a code [the Manhunter android's], as well as an extra-dimensional warp [when Sinestro warped to the anti-matter universe]. I liked it for a bit but it did seem to get old quick andI'm sure writers would eventually get the codes mixed up like they do their continuity....

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
I liked it for a bit but it did seem to get old quick andI'm sure writers would eventually get the codes mixed up like they do their continuity....

~KL~
Unless someone bothered to actually do some editorial work and have a "Bible" that actually set precedent and details for characters, organizations, objects and powers.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

so basically U mean "have a better editor", cuz isnt that *alot* of wat theyre supposed to do?

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Editors don't actually edit anything though and it pisses me off. They daydream about being writers themselves and throw plots at writers that the majority of the time suck balls. And some of them actually try to write, with people like Tomasi doing an okay job, while others like Didio just continue to let me down with crap like OMAC and Outsiders. Editors should go back to editing and let the writers write and come up with their own stuff. Heaven forbid though if anybody has a good idea that isn't named Geoff....

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

see, thats the thing: I can remember a time when editor *did* do their jobs, and it wasnt all "just let the writer/artist toss out watever slap-dash bullshit they want to".

those were some good times that I dont see us returning to anytime soon, as long as ppl keep buying books for the ppl working on it, and NOT the character depicted within.......

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csi, green lantern, law enforcement, space cops