The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 12-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Default "The Hobbit" films -- now greenlit!

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...18122007-1.htm

Its about damn time!!! Honestly... I'm really excited for this!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

fucking finally!

M
Old 12-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

What the heck do they mean by "the sequel to the Hobbit"?

Are they splitting the book to two films, or are we going to get some kind of non-Tolkien vision of what happens between the Hobbit and LoTR?
Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
Lundonj

Anyone other than PJ on this one, and it would have been disaster, IMHO.

-Don

Last edited by Lundonj; 12-18-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post

Are they splitting the book to two films, or are we going to get some kind of non-Tolkien vision of what happens between the Hobbit and LoTR?
Based on this quote from CNN:

Quote:
Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on "The Hobbit." New Line will manage the production of the films, which will be shot simultaneously.
I think we're getting an extended look at the Hobbit, instead of the Hobbit and some other bits.

-Don
Old 12-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Perhaps we'll get some of the other JRR Tolkien stories added into the whole thing, like Farmer Giles of Ham, and what not... perhaps even a little bit of the Simirillion (sp). I don't see The Hobbit on its own constituting more than a single film, so that is my theory.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
Perhaps we'll get some of the other JRR Tolkien stories added into the whole thing, like Farmer Giles of Ham, and what not... perhaps even a little bit of the Simirillion (sp). I don't see The Hobbit on its own constituting more than a single film, so that is my theory.
Maybe that'll be it, and that would be kind of nice, since it is unlikely most of that stuff would ever see the screen otherwise.

You are right about the Hobbit. It seems like it would easily fit in one movie, especially from the team that managed to squeeze each of the LotR books into one (albeit extremely LONG) movie.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
GLC2814.4

Quote:
Maybe that'll be it, and that would be kind of nice, since it is unlikely most of that stuff would ever see the screen otherwise.

You are right about the Hobbit. It seems like it would easily fit in one movie, especially from the team that managed to squeeze each of the LotR books into one (albeit extremely LONG) movie.
Hmm, should be interesting, and I think that it will be the Hobbit plus some other stuff to make it longer or split into two
Old 12-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
Zechs

I'm glad this has been settled and is getting made. I wonder though if we'll get some small prequel stuff with rumblings of Sauron and Saruman slowly being twisted into being evil.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
Jack T. Chance
Really knows where his towel is!

Location: The Planet Garnet, AKA "Hellhole", Space Sector 0017
Exclamation

Quote:

Well, Mister Ed, since you haven't heard what the deal is there, let me shed some light on it.

The news about this being 2 films broke over a year ago... November '06, to be exact... in Peter Jackson's letter to TheOneRing.Net, in which he broke the news in regards to New Line NOT wanting him involved with The Hobbit, due to his (then pending) lawsuit in regards to moneys owed him for the LOTR trilogy.

Click the link above to read the entire letter, but in the meantime, here's the important bit, quoted for easy reference...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRing.Net
Several years ago, Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second “LOTR prequel”, covering the events leading up to those depicted in LOTR.
So, basically, film 1 will be The Hobbit, and film 2 will fill-in the 70-80 years in-between that story and LOTR. It will apparently be drawn from various things Tolkien wrote later, including (but not limited to) the LOTR Appendices.

Personally, I can not WAIT to sit in a darkened theater and return to the world of Middle-earth!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I'd actually be more interested in an original movie or original trilogy that takes place after the existing trilogy.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #12
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Not a whole lot of stuff happens after the trilogy... read the appendices of the novels for more info on that... what I would like to see is a trilogy of films made out of the Silmarillion... that would awesome!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:54 PM   #13
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

This will be awesome. The only problem is that to enjoy the WHOLE middle earth experience, will NOW take like 18-19 hours. Yeah I spent one New Years Eve watching the extended editions of LOTR.
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:36 PM   #14
Darth_Ennis

Sounds to me like there may be some Silmarillion bits in there too.

I'm psyched, I'm glad this is actually official now, up until today I thought it was just a rumor.

And I know what you mean JOsh, I could not sit through the entire extended cut of LOTR.

I had to break it up over the span of a week.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:19 AM   #15
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

One half a day? You're such a lightweight. Of course, I can't sit through them all in one day, but I at least watch a whole one in a night when I watch them. When the ROTK extended cut we actually tried watching them all in a day... we got half way through Two Towers and decided to take an 8 hour nap before continuing, lol.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #16
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

So this is back on track again?

The good news is that Peter Jackson will be doing it. Without him, there's also no WETA, and so much of what made the LOTR trilogy so amazing. I want it to look consistant.

The bad news? That they still intend to milk this into TWO movies. Anybody who cares for this book will tell you this is ONE three hour movie. I don't want to see PJ pad two movies with all sorts of stuff that has no business being there. We came THIS close to seeing Arwen battling with a sword at Helm's Deep. I'm hoping the same sensibility that stopped that from happening comes into play and this ends up being one flick when it's all over.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36520

So it's definitely movie #1 is the Hobbit, and movie #2 is a bridger. The Hobbit's not getting split up.

And Del Toro is officially confirmed to be directing both.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #18
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

And Del Toro is officially confirmed to be directing both.
Now, I care

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:48 AM   #19
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

In a stunning turn of events tied to the delay of THE HOBBIT getting made and GDT's commitment to living in New Zealand, Guillermo del Toro has stepped away from the project, save for co-writing the screenplays.

I knew Peter Jackson would be the director and it would be in 3D, but this sure is a long about way of doing things right? Kidding of course, Jackson has not commented on who would replace del Toro who just stepped down from the helm of the HOBBIT movies.

In an exclusive to TheOneRing.net (these guys deserve these scoops of course with all of their hard work over the years), both Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro chime in:
Quote:
Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit”, but will continue to co-write the screenplays. Out of respect to the legions of loyal Tolkien fans, both Guillermo and Peter Jackson wanted to break the news to The One Ring first. They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to be.
“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life”, says Guillermo. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wlsh the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director”.

“We feel very sad to see Guillermo leave the Hobbit, but he has kept us fully in the loop and we understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone’s control – has compromised his commitment to other long term projects”, says Executive Producer Peter Jackson. “The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn’t feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years. Guillermo is one of the most remarkable creative spirits I’ve ever encountered and it has been a complete joy working with him. Guillermo’s strong vision is engrained into the scripts and designs of these two films, which are extremely fortunate to be blessed with his creative DNA”.

“Guillermo is co-writing the Hobbit screenplays with Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and myself, and happily our writing partnership will continue for several more months, until the scripts are fine tuned and polished” says Jackson. “New Line and Warner Bros will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for the Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work”.

The Hobbit is planned as two motion pictures, co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM. They are scheduled for release in Dec 2012 and Dec 2013.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 AM   #20
Mrt1000son
Dark Lord of the Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
In a stunning turn of events tied to the delay of THE HOBBIT getting made and GDT's commitment to living in New Zealand, Guillermo del Toro has stepped away from the project, save for co-writing the screenplays.

I knew Peter Jackson would be the director and it would be in 3D, but this sure is a long about way of doing things right? Kidding of course, Jackson has not commented on who would replace del Toro who just stepped down from the helm of the HOBBIT movies.

In an exclusive to TheOneRing.net (these guys deserve these scoops of course with all of their hard work over the years), both Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro chime in:
I'm sad to hear Guillermo del Toro isn't directing them anymore, he's a brilliant director and writer, and the dark fantasy world of Middle Earth is perfectly within his genre, still he'll be co-writing and Jackson did very well in LOTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastroncafe
Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom From Being Called Out For Spouting Bullshit.
Mrt1000son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:45 AM   #21
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Send a message via MSN to ion.nai

Shame, though I'm sure we'll see some of his influence pop up throughout the movies.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:47 AM   #22
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

If Jackson stands up to direct, I'll say this was for the best... if not... I'm gonna feel wounded, lol.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:30 AM   #23
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

FUCK!
Old 05-31-2010, 05:36 AM   #24
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Send a message via Skype™ to Quaker

If Jackson ends up directing, it'll all be alright for me. If it's not Peter, than I'll start to get pretty angry.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:02 AM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

If Jackson ends up directing them, it'll be a godsend, and I'll chalk it up to being fated to be. It'll all be worth it then. If they pick someone ELSE, I'm going to be pissed.

If these delays with MGM keep on going, we may not see the movies on time, or a scarier thought, at ALL. MGM needs to get their shit together fast.