Happy Birthday, Alan Scott/Green Lantern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday, Alan Scott/Green Lantern

On this day, in 1940, All-American Comics #16 (the July issue) hit the newsstands. In it was an eight-page story written by Bill Finger and drawn by Martin Nodell called simply "The Green Lantern." And so was born Alan Scott, a magic ring, and the green lantern.

Happy Birthday to Alan Scott and the Green Lantern franchise! Happy 75!

And thanks to Mr. Finger and Mr. Nodell without whom we wouldn't be on this board today!

Details of the anniversary can be found here. If you want to celebrate with some reading, the Green Lantern's Reader Challenge can be found here.

For my part, I've already watched the two animated GL movies this week and I'll watch the live-action movie again tonight plus maybe some of the shows. I read Emerald Dawn and will probably read ED II. At the least, I'll definitely read Alan's debut again.

Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 05-21-2015, 01:52 PM.

Well, he can definitely apply for AARP now.

HAIL THE LANTERN

Comment

Yo.

HAPPY BIRFDAY TO THE EMERALD SENTINEL!!!

*puts on Ring of Power, raises it high.....*

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Many happy returns.

Comment

I will be watching First Flight to celebrate

Comment

Originally posted by Mannis View Post
            I will be watching First Flight to celebrate
            That's how I started last night. Got some other stuff queued up for today.

Comment

It's the only GL movie I don't despise

Comment

Happy Birthday!
                You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

This would be much more meaningful if this character was still with us...

Comment

+ YouTube Video
                    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Happy 75th GL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGycHT6qHZw
                      Rotten2thecorps
                      Alpha-Lantern
                      Last edited by Rotten2thecorps; 05-21-2015, 07:31 PM.
                      Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

By the way, to the more hardcore or historically minded GL fans, here's an interview with Martin Nodell on getting into comics and creating Green Lantern from a convention. It's in 5 parts and if you watch it all, it'll take you almost an hour, but you might like it:

+ YouTube Video
                        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          By the way, to the more hardcore or historically minded GL fans, here's an interview with Martin Nodell on getting into comics and creating Green Lantern from a convention. It's in 5 parts and if you watch it all, it'll take you almost an hour, but you might like it:

+ YouTube Video
                          This is the kind of thing up my alley. Do any of you guys read the Two Morrows fanzine Alter Ego? Roy Thomas edits it and it is chock full of interviews with creators of the golden and silver ages of comics. Great stuff.

Comment

I love First Flight so much.

P.S. Victor Garber is the best Sinestro

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
                              This is the kind of thing up my alley. . . .
                              Me too. I love behind-the-scenes stories and this talk ended up being even more interesting than I expected. He really revealed some pretty heavy operatic and mythological influences in creating GL. And I thought it funny that he found Alan's weakness goofy and logistically problematic.

Comment

Working...
                              X