• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman #39 was crappy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
      Batman #39 was crappy.
      I take it you mean the final page/panel? The story itself seemed alright (a quick read), but I do hate those cheap ways out of relationships.

Wow, you actually bad mouthed a King script!

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        I take it you mean the final page/panel? The story itself seemed alright (a quick read), but I do hate those cheap ways out of relationships.

Wow, you actually bad mouthed a King script!
        Ha, I actually haven't loved everything he's done on Batman but I think this was the worse one by far. I've seen people justify it by saying it makes sense in the context of things but the problem is that premise itself is bad right off the bat. Using Wonder Woman to introduce an adulterous streak into the Batman/Catwoman relationship is just crap, you don't take the most iconic female character in comics and cast her in the role of the other woman. Reflects badly on Batman in my opinion as well. Also they did the same thing, but with Superman, in Action Comics 761 (though that was worse).
        Hypo
        Lil' Leaguer
        Last edited by Hypo; 01-19-2018, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• And over in Aquaman, they're splitting up Arthur and Mera, who were engaged. DC is just anti-marriage. DC engagements are like soap operas.

Comment

• Den of Geek has learned that the next writer of Detective Comics, will be Bryan Hill, taking over from James Tynion IV, who has been steering the title since Rebirth. Hill is currently working on The Wild Storm: Michael Cray, spinoff of The Wild Storm where a more grounded Deathblow travels the Wildstorm universe murdering evil, scumbag Justice League analogs. It is as fun as it sounds.

Hill rose to prominence in comics with his work on Postal. He's also one of the leads on the recent Cyberforce relaunch and has a substantial career outside comics as a pop culture consultant. Hill is also a writer for Ash vs Evil Dead.

Detective Comics isn't Hill's only upcoming DC project. It was also recently announced that Hill will be teaming up with Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz on Who the Hell Cares, You Should Just Buy It Because It Will Be Great starring Black Lightning and Hong Kong Phooey. Coincidentally, Hill will be bringing Jefferson Pierce (aka Black Lightning) with him to the pages of Detective Comics.

Hill will take over starting with Detective Comics #982 for a five-issue arc called "On the Outside," which will kick off in June.

Here's the official info on the books, and then let's have a chat about what it all means:

DETECTIVE COMICS #982
            Written by BRYAN HILL • Art by MIGUEL MENDONÇA • Cover by EDDY BARROWS • Variant cover by MARK BROOKS
            “On the Outside” part one! Duke Thomas. Cassandra Cain. They and other young heroes don’t intend to stand down, no matter what Batman thinks is best. Who can Batman trust to guide them? They need a teacher...and Black Lightning fits the bill!
            On sale JUNE 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

DETECTIVE COMICS #983
            Written by BRYAN HILL • Art by MIGUEL MENDONÇA • Cover by EDDY BARROWS • Variant cover by MARK BROOKS
            “On the Outside” part two! Batman wanted Black Lightning involved in the lives of his protégés—but how involved was the Dark Knight thinking? What kind of missions will Jefferson Pierce take them on? And what, exactly, is he whispering in their ears about Batman himself?
            On sale JUNE 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

So. "On the Outside." A story about young heroes. Black Lightning. Yep, it sure sounds like we're getting a stealth relaunch of The Outsiders in the pages of Detective Comics this summer! Just on the off chance you aren't familiar, Batman & The Outsiders was a comic that first hit in 1983, which featured the Dark Knight leading a team of heroes that consisted of Katana, Metamorpho, Black Lightning (him again!), and others. We're ready for this concept to be revisited, aren't you?

Hill is on Detective Comics for five issues. What could that next project be? It...it couldn't be an Outsiders book, could it?

Check out the cover to Detective Comics #982!
            f the wedding of the 20th century was that between Superman and Lois Lane, then clearly the wedding of the current century is the upcoming union of Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle, better known to you as Batman and Catwoman. In Batman #50, coming to comic shops this summer, the Cat and the Bat will finally tie the knot, alongside will surely be the most ready-for-combat bridal party ever assembled. But not all of Gotham will be cheering on these nuptials, as one well-known citizen is going to object very loudly to this marriage. And you can probably already guess who it is. (Hint: he’s a demented clown.)

Before the wedding issue, however, we’ll get a special two-part story leading up to the historic ceremony, kicking off in Batman #48 written by Tom King, and with art and cover by Mikel Janin. In “The Best Man” Pt. 1, Batman and Catwoman decide it might be better to elope rather than go through some big, stodgy wedding ceremony, but no sooner do they put their marriage on the fast track than The Joker appears and kidnaps the Caped Crusader!

Issue #48 of Batman goes on sale on June 6. Issue #49 will come out later that month and will continue “The Best Man” story. You can check out Mikel Janin’s cover for issue #48 down below. The cover for issue #49, as well as Olivier Coipel’s variant cover for issue #48, will be heading your way very soon.

In addition, May and June will see DC Comics publish five separate “Prelude to the Wedding” one-shots, which all explore different storylines that will take place as the Bat and the Cat prepare for their big day. All issues are written by Tim Seeley, who is accompanied by different artists on each issue. The five covers will connect to make on image, and you can see two of the covers for the upcoming specials down below. The other three will be revealed at a later date.
            Batman: Prelude to the Wedding — Robin Vs. Ra’s al Ghul #1

Written by Tim Seeley • Art by Brad Walker and Drew Hennessy • Cover by Rafael Albuquerque

Ra’s al Ghul returns to have a heart-to-heart with his grandson, Damian. Once upon a time, Ra’s thought Bruce Wayne would be the heir apparent to his criminal empire, but now that Batman has turned his back on Talia for good, Ra’s wants to know if Damian Wayne will honor his mother by stepping into the family business at last. On sale May 30.
            Batman: Prelude to the Wedding — Nightwing Vs. Hush #1

Written by Tim Seeley • Art by Travis Moore • Cover by Rafael Albuquerque

Dick Grayson has a lot of responsibility. Being the original partner to Batman, he’s the natural choice to be Bruce Wayne’s best man. So if anyone has to get to the wedding, it’s going to be him. Too bad Hush has other plans—and maybe Bruce Wayne does, too! On sale June 6.

Batman: Prelude to the Wedding — Batgirl Vs. The Riddler #1

Written by Tim Seeley • Art by Minkyu Jung • Cover by Rafael Albuquerque

On the eve of Batman’s wedding to Catwoman, two of Gotham City’s finest minds clash. In her role as Oracle, Barbara Gordon wired all of her allies together. But when The Riddler takes on Batgirl, will he tear everything asunder? On sale June 13.

Batman: Prelude to the Wedding — Red Hood Vs. Anarky #1

Written by Tim Seeley • Art by Javier Fernandez • Cover by Rafael Albuquerque

Red Hood has always been the one standing slightly apart from the rest of the Bat crew. Some see him as the Robin gone bad—which is exactly the kind of thing someone like Anarky can exploit. Now Red Hood is running security at Catwoman’s bachelorette party—and if Anarky can crash it, that could be the final straw for Jason Todd! On sale June 20.

Batman: Prelude to the Wedding — Harley Quinn Vs. The Joker #1

Written by Tim Seeley • Art by Sami Basri • Cover by Rafael Albuquerque

Harley Quinn knows a thing or two about dysfunctional relationships. When she hears that her old flame is trying to get in the way of a happy new life for one of her best friends, the Maid of Mischief tracks The Joker down to give him a piece of her mind—and maybe a few blows from her hammer, too. On sale June 27.

Comment

• I know it was a filler ish, but I actually liked Batman #44 both because of the back-and-forth history between Batman and Catwoman and because of Alfred being on Selina's little theft.

Comment

• Batman #50 spoilers are in the New York Times, glad to see that the last few years of Batman have been a waste of time.

Comment

• So, Batman #50 hit and [spoilers] big surprise, no wedding! He needs to be miserable to be Batman?! What a bummer. DC really does hate married couple---Arthur's wedding? Cancelled. Bruce's? Cancelled. And the one guy still married is now separated by a galaxy!

Comment

• The story isn't over, King is just at the halfway point of his run. So whatever you think of this marriage and what it does with the characters, that all still can and probably will change.

And this issue was worth it for the art alone. Pinups by Miller, Adams, Garcia-Lopez and many, many more, all embedded in the story. A great moment between Bruce and Alfred. The return of Bartender Porky. And Catwoman's dress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                      The story isn't over, King is just at the halfway point of his run. So whatever you think of this marriage and what it does with the characters, that all still can and probably will change.
                      I don't know that Batman in particular even should be married, but it's a bit annoying when you build it up for a couple months and say this is the wedding issue and there's no wedding. If it had been a regular comic that ended that way and they hadn't been hyping issue 50 as "THE wedding" I wouldn't have cared at all.

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                      And this issue was worth it for the art alone. Pinups by Miller, Adams, Garcia-Lopez and many, many more, all embedded in the story. A great moment between Bruce and Alfred. The return of Bartender Porky. And Catwoman's dress.
                      I agree with all that (except I don't remember Porky). I also liked the style of Batman's thoughts vs. Catoman's in opposing pages. I liked the cover enough that it's my current wall display comic. The Alfred bit was perfect.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 07-07-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Porky is a human Porky Pig from King's Batman/Elmer Fudd crossover, which apparently is canon now.

Comment

• Catwoman #3 Variant by Stanley "Artgerm" Lau

Comment

• 'Batman and the Outsiders' Comic Book Series to Launch in December

Comment

• DC Details Nightwing Creative Team Changes, Reveals Key Plot Details

I have 0 interest. Guess I'll be dropping the book once Percy finishes his run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                                DC Details Nightwing Creative Team Changes, Reveals Key Plot Details

I have 0 interest. Guess I'll be dropping the book once Percy finishes his run.
                                Finally got around to reading Nightwing 50 and its a real shame that Percy's run had to be derailed by this garbage, this new direction and some of the other recent choices DC has been making seem to be in stark contrast to the central idea of Rebirth, embracing the idea of "legacy" as what makes DC special.

Comment

Working...
                                X