X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud Atlas (2012)

Comment

• You guys are doing it to me again, making me double and triple up on posts (ironically, I've slowed down this past week because of reading books, watching commentaries, and playing old NES games).

T2: Trainspotting (2017)

"You know, since we're having this conversation, I can tell you that fully consentual, emotionally driven, not-for-profit sexual intercourse has been attained.
      -Simon, you're a romantic."

Not quite the original, but a good watch.

The Assignment (2016)

"I used to be a guy. A real bad guy. Then things changed. Now I look at the cards I dealt in a different way. One things for sure. Change is gonna come."

Disappointing for a Walter Hill movie, but worth a watch. The premise is definitely different.

Beware! the Blob (1972) [aka Son of Blob]

"Hippie, schmippie!"

This was a bit better than I remember as long as you don't judge it by the classic original, but more as a goofy, cheap comedy followup.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 06-02-2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• The Lion in Winter (1968)

"Of course he has a knife, he always has a knife, we all have knives! It's 1183 and we're barbarians! How clear we make it. Oh, my piglets, we are the origins of war: not history's forces, nor the times, nor justice, nor the lack of it, nor causes, nor religions, nor ideas, nor kinds of government, nor any other thing. We are the killers. We breed wars. We carry it like syphilis inside. Dead bodies rot in field and stream because the living ones are rotten. For the love of God, can't we love one another just a little - that's how peace begins. We have so much to love each other for. We have such possibilities, my children. We could change the world. "

Game of Thrones wishes it caught my attention like this does. The trivia section of its IMDB makes it clear it's only mildly historically accurate (the norm for a film, at best), but I don't care.

We get Timothy Dalton's debut, Anthony Hopkins's first theatrical-length debut (second debut overall), Hepburn and O'Toole both delivering scorching performances -- it's a long film to be sure, but damn if it doesn't earn its keep in the entertainment department.

I did feel a bit sorry for John, though. Dude got shit on throughout history, even if he was a lousy leader he had a fairly sound legal mind (they do mention he studied law in the film), but at least Nigel Terry did a good job on camera, playing a simpering worm is never envied.

I also felt sorry for Hopkins. Dude may have been a little ruthless as a career soldier, but he was probably the least awful person for the throne (though we don't go very far into Geoffrey, who was pretty cold but not overly malicious, he probably could have kept things stable if a little oppressive).

I doubt I'll buy this, but it does make me want to read some serious material on the history of the English crown.
        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• My review of Aladdin.

https://dailyuv.com/profile/2232/979735

Comment

• [Rifftrax:] Fast & Furious (2009)

"Go to hell, physics!"

The Bye Bye Man (2017)

"No, Kim! There's a train, a real train!"

So bad (though I was warned by two Youtube reviewers I follow).

Story of GI Joe (1945)

"What's that, a secret weapon?
            -Grappa; Italian moonshine---you get a purple heart with every third drink."

Average WWII flick based on the writings of war correspondent Ernie Pyle, here played by a youngish Burgess Meredith. An even young Robert Mitchum plays the CO of the unit Pyle keeps meeting up with in Europe and who get dug in on am Italian siege. I looked for it and finally decided to watch it after finding out (from that Netflix show) that the title was the inspiration for Don Levin for the original 1960s Hasbro toy getting that name (though the term was common in WWII).

Dead Poets Society (1989)

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race."

The movie that convinced the world Robin Williams could do drama (though it wasn't his first) and one that makes me wish I knew a group of guys in High School who would want to hang around in a cave and read Tennyson and Thoreau. Turned 30 today and I remember seeing it in theater and really liking it despite being 9 at the time. I was a strange child.

The Muppet Movie (1979)

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat - a Studebaker."

And this one turned 40 on 5/31.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
            The Lion in Winter (1968)...Game of Thrones wishes it caught my attention like this does. The trivia section of its IMDB makes it clear it's only mildly historically accurate (the norm for a film, at best), but I don't care. . . I doubt I'll buy this, but it does make me want to read some serious material on the history of the English crown. . .
            It's a great actors' movie. It also reminds me that just being a king of England wasn't always glamorous. I'd buy it (it's in my Amazon Wish List), but not at full price. But then again, I'd guess that I'm less discerning in my "what's worth buying" movie category than you or pretty much anyone on this board.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Not necessarily discerning right now, but my car is probably fucked and I am going to either shell out for a big electrical/computer repair, or I'm going to have to go through the effort of finding new transportation. As such, I have to reconsider my purchasing priorities (and I would like to own this, but I don't see it happening anytime in the near future due to current circumstances).

But yeah, a fantastic film for acting alone, inaccuracies aside, and Hepburn literally playing her own ancestress is an amazing turn of fate.

Comment

• Godzilla's Revenge (1969) [aka All Monsters Attack (1971)]

"How do you like that, weirdo!?"

Early celebration of the 50th anniversary/prep for G-Fest.

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

"In moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you, but, well, there haven't been any quiet moments."

Teenagers from Outer Space (1959)

"You make me angry. But I like you very much."

Turned 60 today! I know, it's cheesy (enough so that MST3K riffed it), but I like it ... very much.

O Lucky Man (1973)

"Try not to die like a dog."

McDowell's second film with Lindsay Anderson and about as surreal as the first (If....), but more directly a satire. At 3 hours, it's unnecessarily long, but has good bits. Most of the cast (which includes a very young Helen Miren) play 2 or 3 different parts.

Monster Island (2019)

"Deploy the sonic weapon."

About what you'd expect from a Syfy-channel kaiju flick, but the fam and I watched it because the monsters were designed by comic book artist Matt Frank, whom we have met several times and are somewhat friendly with.

...As such, I have to reconsider my purchasing priorities (and I would like to own this, but I don't see it happening anytime in the near future due to current circumstances)...
                When I put a movie on my Wish List or just mentally note one to buy one day, it could mean I'm looking for it tomorrow or might happen across it 15 years later.

...But yeah, a fantastic film for acting alone, inaccuracies aside, and Hepburn literally playing her own ancestress is an amazing turn of fate...
                You just taught me something new. Cool.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-12-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• My Godzilla King of The Monsters review - Better late then never, I suppose.

https://dailyuv.com/980158

I also saw Rocketman last weekend, and it found to be quite delightful. My review as well.

https://dailyuv.com/980160

Comment

• I've watched so many since my last post (this isn't even all of them), but kept waiting for someone else to post:

Speed (1994)

"In two hundred years we've gone from 'I regret but I have one life to give for my country' to 'F**k you!'?"

25th anniversary. I had to still watch it on VHS because I've never upgraded it and it's not on Instant Netflix.

Latitude Zero (1969)

"Everything in Latitude Zero is real."

Early celebration of the 50th anniversary/prep for G-Fest.

Van Wilder (2002)

"It's the internet dude, it fries their brain cells."

One of those cult "classics" I somehow missed. It was juvenile and raunchy, but I did laugh.

Rock School (2005)

"Don't look at your fingers! Do you want to know why? Because girl guitar players look at their fingers. Do you want to be a girl guitar player?
                    -No.
                    Do you want to be in The Bangles?
                    -No."

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

"Let's bring him in for a beer."

My thoughts are in the kaiju thread.

The Italian Job (1969)

"Just remember this - in this country they drive on the wrong side of the road."

50th anniversary. Love this flick.

Takan vs. the Vikings (1971)

"I feel comfort only in revenge."

The Deathless Devil (1972)

"Do not stray from the path of justice."

My first Turkish pop movies. Fun.

The Mule (2018)

"The only people who want to live to 100 are 99 year olds."

[Rifftrax:] Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989/2006)

"Star Trek 5: Shatner Ruins the Franchise."

I thought this was the best way to "celebrate" the 30th anniversary of this entry in the series (one I definitely remember seeing in theater).

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                    You hit on James Rolfe's biggest complaint--the monsters and fights all being in the dark and/or heavy rain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      I've watched so many since my last post (this isn't even all of them), but kept waiting for someone else to post
                      Wait no more, my child.

The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again (1979)

"Who are the other two?

"You and me and two ropes!"

Theodore and Amos try to live honest lives, but are immediately framed for a bank robbery and have to flee from Sheriff Woolly Bill Hitchcock. They flee the law by enlisting in the Army, but screw that up and land in prison. Naturally, things get even worse.

I kept debating whether to take this off my Netflix list or not, but it rolled in and now I have the whole story watched. There were some good gags, the plot(s) mostly done well (the romance subplot was completely tacked on), and I did enjoy seeing Harry Morgan again (Dad enjoyed seeing Elam as one of the villains). Woolly Bill was a good parody of Wild Bill.

Overall a fairly enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

Comment

• Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)

"Monsters resembling Godzilla have been seen in the United States.
                        -Wasn't that Godzilla?
                        The Americans said it was Godzilla, but all the Japanese scientists denied it."

The Unborn (2009)

"It's not safe to be around me."

Mediocre.

Bloodsuckers from Outer Space (1984)

"Weirdos get together and weird babies and they grow up to be weirdos. It's an endless cycle."

So-bad-it's-good low-budget indie.

Resurrecting the Champ (2007)

"I went from an up-and-coming to a has-been. Nothing in between."

Pretty good, but predictable.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-19-2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (2019)

Comment

• Wolf (1994)

"The demon wolf is not evil, unless the man he has bitten is evil. And it feels good to be a wolf, doesn't it?"

This month's full moon had the good taste to arrive on the 25th anniversary (6/17) of this underrated werewolf flick.

Green Slime (1968)

"Well, this confirms my first guess. The only answer is to blast that thing out of the sky."

Fire Maidens of Outer Space (1956)

"A woman!
                            -You can say that again; with all the necessary ingredients."

Rocky II (1979)

"I was hoping he wouldn't show."

The sequel turns 40. I love this one, but I also love the series. No, it's not as strong as the first and yes, the original would have stood alone fine, but I still like knowing the rest of the story.

Wait no more, my child...
                            The funny thing is that since I restarted my WWE Network subscription, I've been watching a lot of that and significantly fewer movies than my average. Apparently, though, even when I'm on a dry spell I watch at least three times as much cinema as the rest of the board combined.
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-19-2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Balto (1995)

Comment

• The Wild Bunch (1969)

"It ain't like it used to be, but it'll do."

Another 50th anniversary and a pivotal Western in the switch to the more hard-edged ones.
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-20-2019, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X