Guy with ANOTHER Yellow Ring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy with ANOTHER Yellow Ring...

No ugly jacket or haircut... just this guy with a yellow ring going man on a mission style. Hunting down a cell of Sinestro Corpsmen using their own weapon? Maybe somebody could be targeting the recently reformed Sinestros/GLs like Space Ape and Guy goes in guns blazing against the wishes of the Guardians?

If TPTB do anything with Guy in the future, rather than another crack at Red Guy what about giving him another yellow ring?

Imagine the idea of somebody like Tom King coming back to the GL side of the universe and telling some 6-12 issue arc. Maybe Greg Rucka since he can tell a gritty story or five.

I'd be game.

- Ω

The writers messed up Guy pretty good with both the yellow and red rings. I hated the "red mullet" days, and depowered Guy as the "Christ-mas Lantern" in the other universe was pretty terrible too.

Guy's worn the green, yellow, red, and violet rings already. I hated his "5 years in the future" story with Guy as a Blue Lantern. It was like ultra-pacifist Guy from the JLI days.

Right now they have Guy as the "angry cop" GL in the GLC. I can live with this, and really don't want to see Guy with another ring - even yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
      The writers messed up Guy pretty good with both the yellow and red rings. I hated the "red mullet" days, and depowered Guy as the "Christ-mas Lantern" in the other universe was pretty terrible too.

Guy's worn the green, yellow, red, and violet rings already. I hated his "5 years in the future" story with Guy as a Blue Lantern. It was like ultra-pacifist Guy from the JLI days.

Right now they have Guy as the "angry cop" GL in the GLC. I can live with this, and really don't want to see Guy with another ring - even yellow.
      I loved Guy with the yellow ring back in the day, in his own title, but that ship has sailed. The yellow ring isn't the same thing as it was back then, and comes with too much Sinestro Corps baggage for me to want to see Guy with it again.

Comment

Guy needs to stay a Green Lantern. I've had more than enough of temp jobs for my GLs to last me a lifetime.

Comment

I'd rather Guy get his Warrior powers back than having him play the power ring equivalent of musical chairs again. It reeks of "We have no idea what to do with this character."

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
            I loved Guy with the yellow ring back in the day, in his own title, but that ship has sailed. The yellow ring isn't the same thing as it was back then, and comes with too much Sinestro Corps baggage for me to want to see Guy with it again.
            This.

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
            I'd rather Guy get his Warrior powers back than having him play the power ring equivalent of musical chairs again. It reeks of "We have no idea what to do with this character."
            And this.

Although returning to the Vuldarian powers would reek of exactly the same desperation.

Maybe it's time to keep Guy powerless again?

Comment

Guy is perfect exactly the way he is. I wouldn't change a thing.

Comment

I think Guy Gardner using a yellow ring these days is a bad idea. I mean, let's look at it realistically. Most of the time, when people do something like that to characters, they usually just want to get those characters out of the way in some fashion. If those are the writer's sentiments and intentions, I'd advise them to just not write the character. If asked about it by readers, I'd just say there aren't any plans for that character currently. If pressed further by angry fans, just say "I understand the concerns, but that's just not the story I'm telling right now, and it would be a disservice to the story and to that character if I just shoehorned him in there."

What I would do if I was working on the character is give him his old bowl haircut back, or some play on it, but I wouldn't make it look as ridiculous as some artists did. I do think it is best to leave the character as a Green Lantern. If writers don't have any worthwhile ideas for him (and I don't think they have within recent history), it's best just to leave the character be until someone comes along with an idea, instead of doing something weird and potentially damaging to him that someone else will have to come along and clumsily undo. And yes, it will be undone if you do something like that.
                Star-Lantern
                Weaponer of Qward
                Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-26-2018, 04:05 AM.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                  And this.

Although returning to the Vuldarian powers would reek of exactly the same desperation.
                  True,but its infinitely better than having him swap Power rings again for God know how many time. I want him off that roller coaster one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post

What I would do if I was working on the character is give him his old bowl haircut back,
                    NO.

or some play on it,
                    HELL NO!! Sadly it wasn't even supposed to be a bowl cut when he got it. It was supposed to be a Military style flat top. It didn't become a bowl cut until other writers that clearly didn't know its supposed to be a Military cut started drawing it as the bowl cut.

Comment

...Sadly it wasn't even supposed to be a bowl cut when he got it. It was supposed to be a Military style flat top. It didn't become a bowl cut until other writers that clearly didn't know its supposed to be a Military cut started drawing it as the bowl cut.
                      Do you have any basis for it being a mistake like an interview or something? It definitely changed, but the change was so obvious that I assumed it was just to match his characterization. If it were animation outsourced to a foreign country, I could see it being an accident, but not in comics within a few years.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 06-13-2018, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Especially since that haircut was super popular in the mid to late 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          Do you have any basis for it being a mistake like an interview or something? It definitely changed, but the change was so obvious that I assumed it was just to match his characterization. If it were animation outsourced to a foreign country, I could see it being an accident, but not in comics within a few years.
                          When he came out of his coma in GL vol.2 he was sporting the military look cut. It when others got their hands on him that it started to become the Moe Howard bowl cut.

Comment

When he came out of his coma in GL vol.2 he was sporting the military look cut. It when others got their hands on him that it started to become the Moe Howard bowl cut.
                            Those nurses can be so mean.

Comment

Working...
                            X