Green Lantern: New Guardians #20 PREVIEW
    Writer: Tony Bedard
    Artist: Andres Guinaldo
    8.33%
    33.33%
    16.67%
    8.33%
    33.33%

Enjoyed this issue. I guess it reminded me a bit of some of the old v3 issues that would see Kyle flying around reflecting on things (I think specifically there was an issue with Alan I'm thinking of). It didn't really add much to events, but at least did feel like a proper epilogue with Kyle reflecting on each of the characters he's teamed up with in the book.

Comment

Issue out. Poll added.

Comment

They show the scruffled beard! The beard! This is already 10x better than GL#20.(

Comment

This reminds me a lot of Ion 1.0, and that ended with him giving up the power because he concluded one person shouldn't be that powerful.

So I guess I can officially call it that Kyle is no longer half hispanic seeing as how his father is still a mechanic in this reality and not some CIA agent.

I also liked that they at least acknowledged that the white light is very similar to the indigo light.

Comment

Each of the White Lanterns were different. First Sinestro was deathless. Then Deadman had to "live life". Then each of the Brightest Day White Lanterns got a temporary power-up if they did their jobs and decided right. Now we get the First Lantern, who could turn back time and change the timeline. Then Kyle, who just switched in-between the different colors' powers as needed, he couldn't even resurrect anyone like Deadman.

Nobody on the GL writing staff is willing to nail down just what a White Lantern can and cannot do. They're letting Kyle keep his ring white now, even though they hint in GL#20 that one day Kyle will "run out". But I am hugely dissatisfied.

Comment

Hopefully he won't have to die on a cross. Pretty sure I read somewhere that it's a pretty crappy way to go out.

Space Jesus Hippie.

Comment

Space Jesus was a Geoff Johns creation. That won't actually happen to Kyle, and he'll get his green ring back soon enough. C'mon...do you really think Johns and Didio will let Kyle remain the most powerful Lantern in existence? Please.
                The last fan of 1990s comics
                Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

I said this in another thread, but shouldn't they simply change the title to White Lantern? What's the Green for in Green Lantern New Guardians? Not changing the title only makes it look like Kyle's tenure with the ring is going to be a short term one.

I guess Kyle's dad really isn't a Hispanic secret agent in this world? This guy looked completely different. It actually makes Kyle seem a lot more human than the old history, which I always found to be really trite.

Not a good issue by any means. Better than what they've been doing lately, but not anywhere near good enough. 2 stars.

Comment

Maybe Kyle's hispanic secret agent dad is only UNDERCOVER as an absentee, deadbeat mechanic dad.

Is it me, or is it like Dawson's Creek with flashy lights?

Comment

Or, since it's the New 52, they got rid of that stupid secret agent retcon.
                      The last fan of 1990s comics
                      Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

They probably don't want to change the title since the Templar Guardians are supposed to be play a major role in the book, thus "New Guardians."

I still think the resurrection power of the white might be tied to the entity itself more. The entity brought everyone back in Blackest Night and he gave Deadman the only white ring to wield during Brightest Day. Unless the powers or skill set does depend on the make up of the individual bearer, which would be interesting though frustrating.
                        "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
                        Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
                        Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
                        who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
                        to change the world. This time, Lord...
                        Let me be worthy."

Comment

My question is what differentiates a white ring from an indigo ring besides the color?

Comment

The Indigo Tribe doesn't heal.

Previously, also, white constructs were permanent. Not sure if they're keeping that.

Comment

I think the Indigo ring can only briefly tap into other emotions and channel them. If you mastered the entire spectrum, like Kyle did, then you could use any or all of the emotions whenever you felt them on your own. I assume you meant along these lines, not the more basic differences like teleporting and forcing its bearer to feel compassion if he/she didn't already.
                              "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
                              Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
                              Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
                              who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
                              to change the world. This time, Lord...
                              Let me be worthy."

Comment

Working...
                              X