Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How happy are you with GL's current standing in... everything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How happy are you with GL's current standing in... everything?

Like, it's a very different and somewhat more sparse landscape than it was 5 years ago, or even a couple. The flagship title is selling big numbers for the first time in many years... yet it seems like there isn't much hubbub about GL. Am I wrong?

How do you feel about it?
    I'm good!
    30.00%
    I'm disappointed
    30.00%
    I wish... (explain)
    40.00%

I think DC needs some time to wash the color spectrum out of everyone's minds. The whole Green Lantern franchise has acquired a bit of a radioactivity since Sinestro Corps War. There's too many colors, too many Earth Lanterns, not enough variety in the battles they fought.

Morrison is going back to the core of Hal Jordan in space, fighting a different threat in each issue, and that can only work if we don't put Green Lantern Corps, Red Lantern Corps, Lost Lanterns and a Larfleeze book on the shelf next to it.

And that sucks.

I want a solo Guy book. I want a solo Kyle book. I want a GLC book. But right now, that would dilute what Morrison is doing.

Comment

I'm a little bit... confused.

For like 10-15 years I've wanted Morrison on a GL book. It was one of those "I want this, but I'm sure it'll never happen" things. And now he is. But this seems very specific. "i.e., you write TGL for X number of years, and then you're done." Which is very different than, say, Geoff Johns during his day. Which seems to be more like, "Mwahaha, gimme it all, I'll see what I can do!" (bury it)

But why isn't he afforded the same stuff? In a way it seems like Grant Morrison is being carte blanche to do whatever with GL in this corner, but there doesn't appear to be any particular motivation to "grow it." Which isn't to say it ought to be to full on Geoff levels, but... more than it is now.

Comment

I don't need GL to be a massive franchise, though I would read a Guy book or a Kyle book if they came out. I grew up with GL as a single title that sometimes went into hibernation and which the world seemed unaware of for the most part, so I'm good. At least it's not hard to keep up anymore.

Comment

It's not complicated.

Green Lantern can support two books, and John and Kyle can do fine in Justice League and Titans respectively. Guy sold fine in his GLC comic until Geoff got the genius idea to make him a blood puker. Put him back in the Corps with a strong supporting cast, and put Hal on Earth. And don't call Guy's comic "Green Lantern Corps" because that name carries the stench of a B title.

But Guy needs to get back at Batman before comics nerds in general will take him seriously. Like maybe by putting him in a submission hold and making him tap out.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
            I'm a little bit... confused.

For like 10-15 years I've wanted Morrison on a GL book. It was one of those "I want this, but I'm sure it'll never happen" things. And now he is. But this seems very specific. "i.e., you write TGL for X number of years, and then you're done." Which is very different than, say, Geoff Johns during his day. Which seems to be more like, "Mwahaha, gimme it all, I'll see what I can do!" (bury it)

But why isn't he afforded the same stuff? In a way it seems like Grant Morrison is being carte blanche to do whatever with GL in this corner, but there doesn't appear to be any particular motivation to "grow it." Which isn't to say it ought to be to full on Geoff levels, but... more than it is now.
            Morrison just isn't up to the grind of producing monthly comics anymore, I think he's made that pretty clear in interviews about how tiring and hectic he found it and how much more comfortable he was with the graphic novel format. Hell he took a 5 year break from monthlies after he finished up Batman before coming back for GL.

With his current run I think he's in his comfort zone having a predefined set of issues to work with and not having to worry about growing it into a bigger franchise. If he wanted to do that I can't imagine DC wouldn't give him the go ahead as he's still a bankable creator even though he might not be at the heights of popularity he once was.

As for how I feel about the state of the franchise right now, I'm enjoying Morrison's take but I am a little worried that once he's done we're going to have the next creative team come in and start from scratch, kind of like how the WW books seem to soft reboot every time a new team comes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
              Morrison just isn't up to the grind of producing monthly comics anymore, I think he's made that pretty clear in interviews about how tiring and hectic he found it and how much more comfortable he was with the graphic novel format. Hell he took a 5 year break from monthlies after he finished up Batman before coming back for GL.
              I don't think writing two issues a month would be a huge strain, if that were your full-time job. I get it though that if you've written as many stories as he has, the ideas wouldn't come as readily any more.

Comment

I always wanted to see GL grow as a franchise and be this big sprawling series of monthlies like Spidey, Bats and superman had. For me it turned into a "be careful what you wish for" thing. I regret ever wanting GL to be bigtime with mass appeal. Right now I am QUITE content to have GL be it's own little corner of the DC universe again. Small enough to keep the fair weather fans away, the great title of everyone knows about.

I miss seeing John and Guy honestly. What I think they should do is let Morrison have his 24 or so issues, then when a new creative team comes in, keep the Hal book going and add a GLC title. Give John Guy and Kyle rotating arcs in that where they all come to the forefront separately and together.

Don't even think of adding a 3rd title. And never mention the wretched pansy-ass emo spectrum ever again. Let it go.

Comment

GL can sell two titles, as long as one isn't designated as a B title. No designated B title has sold since the Silver Age, but they never stop publishing them and hoping for a better result.

Comment

i can't get past the art, for me it's

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

The art may be for certain tastes, I find it too "dreamy". I'd really like to get back to the classic Hal. vs. Sinestro, John Stewart vs. the other Corps, Guy Gardner vs. galactic baddies, Kyle Rayner with the other Corps and Guardians. Maybe after the JLA finishes with Ultraviolet Sinestro and the "Year of Villainy" we could get the classic Sinestro back. Just repair the Source Wall and stuff the Ultraviolet spectrum behind it again and let Sinestro rebuild in the Antimatter Universe.

I can't believe none of the Guardians would think of using Kyle Rayner against the Cyborg Superman with the Phantom Ring. A ring that uses all of the Emotional Spectrum - yeah, we have a GL for that, his name's Kyle. He's been a White Lantern before.

As for Soranik Natu and the Sinestro Corps, you could make a major story arc revving them together with Sinestro.

Comment

I agree that it's not exactly Ivan Reis or Carlos Pacheco art. But Liam Sharp's style fits these stories like few others would. That vampire planet issue or the issue inside Hal's ring are beautiful exactly the way they are.

But I'll admit that that's not to everyone's taste.

Comment

None of those really describe my feelings. The art feels like the 90's reboot art,it's kinda got a 70's magazine look. Grant seems to understand the character but there is no heart behind it. It just feels like something he is doing.
                          Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Ok I am preparing for the attack of the Morrison fanboys on this, but here is my feeling about TGL. The book is selling well and I am happy for it. While I didn't care for Vendetti's initial run, I really enjoyed HJ&tGLC. If he started his run with that instead of what he did. He would be held in higher regard. Back to Morrison, the Green Lantern corner of the franchise is a pretty ideal place to tell all the crazy Morrison-like stories he wants to tell but I don't feel that he has advanced my love for Hal as a character or Green Lantern as a franchise at all. Don't get me wrong it is good to see a GL book selling well but for me seeing Hal trounce Zod brought (rendered by Rafa) brought me more joy than all of the TGL so far. TGL seems more of a service to Morrison and getting him back on a successful monthly than it is about to the Green Lantern franchise. For me Morrison would be perfect for a GLCQ type title. I just don't know, in fact I fear what condition the TGL book will be in after he leaves it. Morrison left the New Gods in a near toxic state after Final Crisis. If not for Xorn and Cassandra Nova, nothing of his X-Men run is ever mentioned.

Comment

Quentin Quire, Glob Herman, Fantomex, White Queen as a heroine, all Morrison concepts still appearing in books today. And his death of Jean Grey lasted for a respectable 15 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X