• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLC: Rise of the Dark Lantern or RIP Sinestro [Rest in Pieces]

Green Lantern Corps
    "I See A Darkness"

Sector 0, Oa

"My name is Kyle Rayner. I'm an officer in the Green Lantern Corps, Honor Guard. It's been weeks since the Weaponer took Soranik hostage. I was speechless when it came up in conversation.... My girlfriend is the daughter of the universe's version of Hitler. The man who killed my mother with some sort of sentient virus."

"And the Guardians are still letting him run free?" Kyle asked John Stewart and Ganthet outside of the Central Battery on Oa.

"Who knows what the Guardians have in store for Sinestro and his Corps...." Ganthet said calmly.

"You mean you don't have ANY guesses, Ganthet?" Kyle asked surprised.

"I wish I could be more help, Kyle." Ganthet replied.

Kyle looked down for a moment before leaping into the air. John and Ganthet watched as he flew off.

"Did Kyle seem a little on edge to you?" John asked.

"I see a darkness within him, John. He seemed upset at the news of the truce with the Sinestros still standing. I cannot imagine seeing the person responsible for my mother's death run free...." Ganthet replied looking into the setting sun.

Weeks earlier....

Soranik had been saved. Kyle Rayner held her in his arms staring at Sinestro over the defeated Weaponer.

"We still have unfinished business, Sinestro." Kyle said with blood dripping from his mouth.

"Yes, we do. Boy...." Sinestro said smiling.

Kyle woke up in a cold sweat throwing punches and accidentally hitting Soranik in the arm and off of the bed.

"Oooooow, Kyle!?! I'm still recovering, remember?" asked Soranik picking herself up bandages and all.

"I'm sorry, Sora, I...." Kyle started to say before being interrupted.

"Are you still having nightmares?" she asked.

"Isn't it obvious? Soranik, I hope you don't take this the wrong way.... but I think I need to find my own place and move out for awhile." Kyle said getting out of bed himself and helping her up.

"At least until we sort through some things and I can stop these recurring nightmares." Kyle continues helping her back into the bed but not getting in beside her.

"Kyle....?" she said softly as her medication kicked in and Kyle walked out of the apartment where Ioland is keeping watch on her as well from her building.

Kyle is in Warrior's bar during closing. He's had a couple beers himself and he sees the employees out to their vehichles before locking the door and walking over to some of the trophies around the bar. He took another drink of his beer and mummbled something as he walked past a Manhunter android under glass. But then he came across a picture of Hal and Sinestro fighting on the front page of the Coast City Gazette next to a Korugan Wanted sign with Sinestro's face on it. The anger begins boiling within him, it's visible in his face. He turns and throws the bottle towards Guardian statues screaming....

"Why is that son of a bitch still alive?!?"

The next morning around noon, the employees show up for work to find Kyle drunk and asleep on the bar. A Guardian statue with a cracked head is seen as well as a picture of Kyle Rayner's mother he drew on the back of a paper menu before closing.

Later....

Kyle threw away some trash in the caffeteria when Ganthet approached him.

"Kyle, is there something troubling you?" he questioned.

"Why do you ask?" Kyle replied walking back over to a packed bag at his table off in the corner of the room.

"I heard you were moving out of Soranik's apartment. She mentioned the nightmares...." Ganthet continued before Kyle cut him off.

"Do you believe in the greater good, Ganthet?" Kyle asked.

"I do, but why...." Ganthet responded before Kyle interrupted him.

"Because I don't. At least not anymore. How can the Guardians let him run free and continue this truce even after the entities have been dealt with?" Kyle asked.

"You mean Sinestro?" Ganthet asked already knowing the answer.

"How many more people have to die before he gets what he deserves?" Kyle asked calming down some.

"Kyle, I.... I don't know. Do you believe that people like Sinestro deserve to die?" asked the former Guardian now the Green Lantern of sector zero.

"Some people don't deserve to live." Kyle said sternly.

Sector 2814, Earth
    Los Angeles, California

"Hey mom. I can't believe it's almost been a year. I'm sorry I haven't stopped by in awhile, a lot of stuff going on up in the stars. Recently I came back to Earth to help the new Justice League deal with the Starheart and it made me miss home. Can you believe Donna and Jenny are both on the team now?" Kyle said to the grave stone.

Kyle got silent for a few moments and sat some flowers down next to his mother's grave. He's in his old NIN t-shirt.

"I wanted to come by and see you before I went after the man responsible for your death. I may not come out of it alive, but I have a back-up plan. Sinestro is one of the baddest guys in the universe, he could even beat Superman if he wanted to. He's a monster.... and I won't let the Guardians put more lives at risk letting him walk away from his death sentence." Kyle said looking at the gravestone with a bit of green energy flickering in his eye.

Later....

the Watchtower, Justice League HQ

"You're doing what? Since when did the Corps send Lanterns on suicide missions?" Jade asked Kyle.

"The Corps doesn't know about this...." Kyle says as they walk down a long hallway with large windows of the Earth and stars.

"Kyle, what is this about?" Jade asks not knowing what had happened.

"Sinestro killed my mom." Kyle replied as the moment got awekward and a bit depressing.

"I was in space on a mission for the Guardians. I bumped into Donna in space before Sinestro made his own Sinestro Corps. He used some sentient virus to kill my mom slowly, to bend my will for Parallax to take control." Kyle explained stopping and looking out of one of the giant windows.

"My God.... Kyle I'm so sorry." Jade said tearing up and grabbing him.

"Jade.... Jenny. I need a favor, but we have to keep it between us." he said grabbing her and looking into her teary eyes.

"If something happened to your Dad and the League and the Justice Society didn't go after the person responsible...." Kyle began.

"I know you would Kyle. What do you need?" she asks looking up at him.

To be continued....

~KL~

i like the start of it (really i do) but their are a few things (just a few) that i'm having problems with

1st the way Kyle is acting to Soranik, it not her fault Sin did what he did and the feeling i'm getting from Kyle is that he's blaming her, that he's seeing Sin everytime he looks at her (that being said i know that Kyle is pissed off and isn't thinking things out so in a way i get it)

2nd the way he's acting to his friends, whatever it is he's going do he can't do it alone and he should know this he shouldn't be pushing them away (but again he's pissed off and not thinking things though)

3rd not a fan of Jade, that's all i'm gonna say about that (but i'd still like to see how things play out with her and Kyle together again)

all in all a good start to something that DC should be doing (but they're dropping the ball )

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

1.) I reeeeeeally hate Natu, I almost killed her off but figure that's been done a thousand times.

2.) His friends in the Corps wouldn't go on a hunting trip specifically to carry out a death sentence. I don't know that it's been done before, but it didn't seem right. John and Ganthet will show up after Kyle kills the Korugan dictator.

3.) Jade's not hooking up with Kyle. She [and namely the remains of the Starheart meteor] is Kyle's ace in the hole. He's gonna tap into Stearheart energy when Sinestro tries to drain his ring. After Kyle goes on the run on Earth, at some point, he'll confide in Alan in Gotham. That directly leads into Kyle and Alan vs the new JLoA when Grayson gets word from Hal that Kyle may be a loose canon. You'll see some moments between Kyle and Donna, Kyle and Jade, and then the JLoA and Jade once they find out she helped Kyle.

I think once I write the whole story it will all make sense.

~KL~

Comment

Chapter 2

Sector 0, Oa

John Stewart is remodeling some structures on Oa with his ring in the small cities around the Central Battery. Ganthet is seen flying with Lantern Torquemada before landing down by John.

"You come to tell me the building is too Maltusian, Ganthet?" John asked with a bit of a laugh.

"John.... Kyle's ring just went off the grid." Ganthet replied with a look of concern.

"Who knows about this?" John asked looking down at Ganthet after setting a piece of the structure down.

"Salaak and myself, and now you. His signal went out in sector one-nine-six-one...."

Moments Earlier....

Sector 1961

Kyle paused in mid flight. He looked down at his glowing ring and the energy around him. The green turned a slightly different shade, darker green. And his ring turned off. The darker energy whirled around his body and his costume became solid black, with green glowing trim up his arms with a glowing symbol on his chest. His mask burned away and the green energy erupted from his eyes. He flew forward....

Sector 1417, Korugar

Sinestro and his Corps have built a base of operations in the middle of a large city. There are several solid construct buildings housing the yellow Corps as well as an alien castle looking over the Central Battery now buried within a canyon. Thaal Sinestro looks down at his Corps and his world with content. He believes he has it all. Even Parallax inside of his own personal power battery....

Kyle touches down in the city on the edge of Sinestro's headquarters. Sinestros stand at attention keeping the people of the city out, while a single Sinestro patrols the rest of the city.

"That's the spotter." Kyle says as his eyes glow looking on at the Sinestro flying by.

Kyle lets his ring envelope his body and creates a hologram disguise. He now resembles a young Korugarian with long black hair in a tattered cowl. Almost like an alien bum or begger. He continues to look for points of entry and manages to find a few Sinestros leaving their post regularly to eat slaves and the homeless beggers.

"There's always a chink in the armor somewhere...." the young Korugarian/Kyle says quietly.

Sinestro is still standing his ground looking out the large window. His battery is in a corner along with some form of furniture or art. A creek in his floor has Sinestro looking over his shoulder.

"I don't know how you made it past my Corps so easily, but you were dead the moment you arrived on Korugar...." Sinestro said turning around and seeing Kyle with a shocked look on his face as the Green Lantern removed his disguise.

But Sinestro began laughing. Quite hard. Energy began leaking from Kyle's eyes and he looked stern at the leader of the yellow Corps.

"You sneak into Korugar and break into my quarters... to show me your new costume? Do you think that would intimidate me of all people, alley rat? Your begger disguise suits you better on my world." Sinestro says getting more serious with each sentence.

"I'm not afraid of you, Sinestro. And I'm not afraid of dying here today. You will answer for the murders of your victims. Including my mother...." Kyle says growing brighter as walls behind him buckle.

Sector 1453

John Stewart and Ganthet are on a course.

Sector 1449

"That energy trail we picked up on, did it remind you of anything, Ganthet?" John asked.

"Of course, John. I am old, but I have not forgotten...." Ganthet begins.

Sector 1417, Korugar

"The Starheart energy? You think that poses any threat to me or my Corps?" Sinestro questions.

"I have Parallax inside of my power battery!" Sinestro taunts picking it up with a ring constructed robot arm.

"Go ahead, Sinestro. Do you realize how long that grass-hopper has been waiting to get inside of you?" Kyle taunts back as the back half of the structure is now disipated by the energy Kyle is putting off with the rest crumbling down around Sinestro.

A few footsoldiers are instructed by Arkillo to see what's going on. But a yellow flash erupts from the remains of the structure and it flies off into an unknown area of Korugar. A place resembling the lower class of the world's population. Sinestro lands into some garbage with buildings barely standing all around him. An alley rat with four eyes screeches past the yellow Lantern as Kyle touches down soon after not leaving a trail for the Sinestros to follow.

"You were bluffing about Parallax." Sinestro says standing without his battery in tow.

"I don't care if you have an entity in you, Sinestro!" Kyle says blasting an empty structure down around him.

Sinestro blasted the debris and charged at Kyle. They grappled in mid air for a moment as Kyle blasted Sinestro in the face with green energy from his eyes and took the fight back to the ground. Kyle created a costruct baseball bat and began striking Sinestro.

"You should have taken Parallax for a spin, Sinestro." Kyle said dropping the bat and coming down on Sinestro with ring enhanced fists.

"I will not die at the hands of a Green Lantern!" Sinestro screamed stabbing Kyle with a yellow blade to the ribs and kicking him in the face.

Sinestro raised a construct hammer in the air and Kyle blasted him again quickly with energy from his eyes. He then created manga-themed robotic armor and pushed on.

Sector 1436

"What about the treaty, Ganthet. What will we do if this leads to war?" John asked as the two Lanterns continued their journey to Korugar.

"I do not know what the Guardian Council will do, John. With the thinned Sinestro numbers they will probably see it as a chance to take them down for good. However, I am more worried about Kyle."

Sector 1417, Korugar

The two men are both beaten and bloody. Sinestro stands in a yellow smoke cloud as Kyle picks himself up out of a crater.

"You're not dying at the hands of a Green Lantern, Thaal. You're dying at my hands." he states dusting himself off.

"The Corps will come after you." Sinestro taunts.

"... and I'll be waiting. Yellow is the color for cowards, I don't have to be Batman to know your back-up plan is warping to Qward." Kyle said now standing.

"I don't mean my Corps, you pathetic excuse for a Lantern. I mean the Green Lanterns. Your friends will come after you and..." Sinestro begins as Kyle interupts.

"I don't answer to the Guardians. Not anymore. And I don't care what happens after this is over!" Kyle says coming down with a mecha-themed sword that Sinestro diflects, but Kyle blasts him through the torso with a blast from his free hand.

Sinestros begin to scatter in the air trying to follow the two and the two Green Lanterns arrive on the scene.

"There! Those yellow bastards are running towards something!" John screams as he and Ganthet fly forward keeping the treaty in-mind for now.

John and Ganthet, as well as the Sinestro Corps [some of which are wounded from the massive amounts of energy in the battle] surround Sinestro's corpse with a giant hole in his chest. A green glow of energy is seen by one of the Sinestros and they swarm the two GLs. Ganthet catches sight of Kyle's energy trail as he takes off through the stars.

"The Green Lanterns have ended the treaty! They've killed Sinestro!" Several Sinestros scream as Arkillo is seen picking up Sinestro's personal battery from some debris.

To be continued....

~KL~
        Ωmega Man
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Ωmega Man; 02-23-2011, 07:32 AM.

Comment

D@mn Kid , you really should be working for DC

IonFan says

Comment

I agree. Good reading here bud! You write pretty well. Keep it up, you never know where it might lead. ...or who is watching.
            I always try to default my wallpapers to 1600x1200. If I post one that is 1024x768, it is due to the original source picture being too small. FYI

Comment

I'm just glad that somebody enjoys it. I'm in the middle of moving now but intend to write at least 12 chapters that covers most of the ground I talked about earlier.

I actually had a similar take on Wally West after Flash Rebirth where he becomes a Dark Flash that involved his kids and wife killed by Professor Zoom and the new Black Flash, Hunter Zolomon.

~KL~

Comment

AWESOME!!!! That's some pretty neat storywriting right there, gotta admit the second part was much better than the first but still all good, can't wait to see more if you decide to carry on.

Comment

Intro chapters are usually kinda slow and some parts could've been a little more detailed, but I like the way the graveyard scene went as well as the moments with Jade. The second chapter actually went through a lot of changes before I finally got it to where it is. I wanted to save Sinestro's death for "issue 3" or chapter 3, but I was ready to hit the ground rolling and wanted to get to the meat of the story.

~KL~

Comment

Kyle?

She blinded me with SCIENCE!

Comment

Looks good man but the little green lines could use some tweaking LOL

Putting some last minute revisions on the 3rd installment of Rise of the Dark Lantern. This will be the last chapter that really does anything with the rest of the GLC, and for the next several chapters I invisioned the story moving from a title like GLC to a mini or ongoing as it's more character driven and using the Earth based setting.

Right now I'm making some quick edits to some dialogue among the GLC and putting a very powerful scene somewhere in the story you'll have to look for. Posting the chapter tonight for anybody who's still watching and waiting, hope I can keep you guys and gals entertained!

~KL~
                      Ωmega Man
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Ωmega Man; 04-14-2011, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Chapter 3

Sector 1417, Korugar

"The Green Lanterns killed Sinestro! Kill them!" many of the Sinestro's cried out blasting at the two Lanterns.

John and Ganthet flew aimlessly through the Korugan sky deflecting blast after blast. They put up personal shields and for the moment kept the treaty in tact.

"We need to contact Oa, but there's some kind of interferance...." John started to say before being interrupted.

"The residual Starheart energy. We need to reach Oa, fast. I would teleport us there but the Starheart also effects my internal power as well." Ganthet said dodging debris from a yellow blast.

"We might make it to Oa in one piece after all. Look, the Sinestro's are retreating back to their Central Battery!"John said looking back in awe.

Sector 0, Oa

Later....

Salaak has several Lanterns in a meeting room. His four arms are behind his back. Soranik Natu, Iolande, Vath, Isamot, Torequemada, Garmin Vid, Stel, Tomar Tu, John Stewart, Ganthet, among several others. There's a tension in the room that is unexplainable. Ganthet and John looked worried. Some of the Lanterns talked quitely amongst themselves.

"I heard the Torchbearer went missing shortly before it went down." said a random alien Lantern.

"Sinestro got what was coming to him!" whispered another.

"I am sure by now you have all heard of Sinestro's death." Salaak said silencing the room.

"Kyle Rayner of sector 2814's ring went off the grid in sector 1961. It came back for less than five minutes in Sector 1417. The Guardian's beleive Rayner is a person of interest in finding out the truth behind Sinestro's death. Sinestro's Corps beleive our truce is broken. The Guardians are under the impression that the Yellow Lanterns will not be a threat for long with their smaller numbers and no one to lead them." Salaak said as some of the Lanterns looked anxious.

"Lantern Natu, the Guardians ask that you choose a team of Lanterns to venture back to sector 1417 and destroy the Sinestros' Central Battery as well as secure the fear entity. Lantern Stewart, you are to choose a team to accompany Lantern Natu's team as far as sector 1417. Once there investigate the residual energies of the Starheart and determine if Rayner was on a path to Earth. I have already notified Hal Jordan. Report to me with any new information, meeting adjourned." Salaak finished as the Lanterns all began to exit the room.

"I hope Natu picks me, I want to take some Sinestros down!" commented one Lantern.

"The Torchbearer would be more of a challenge." said the red skinned Lantern Turytt as John and Ganthet looked on at their brothers in arms.

Sector 2814, Earth

Kyle Rayner walked down a long and winding road out in the middle of nowhere. His face didn't look like it had seen a razor in several days. He had a duffle bag over his right shoulder and underneith his jacket he was wearing a black and red striped shirt.

"My name is Kyle Rayner. Less than twenty four hours ago I did what no other Lantern, including Hal, could do. I put an end to Sinestro. The renegade Green Lantern. Some say the greatest. He killed thousands, if not millions of lives over the years. I tell myself he got what he deserved. I'm finally back home, on Earth anyway. I don't know where I'm going to live, or what my friends in the super hero circles will think once they hear I killed Sinestro." Kyle thought to himself walking up on a mom and pop's style diner.

Walking through the door a jukebox was playing and there were several people in the small place of business. There were three men playing pool on one side of the resteraunt. Kyle walked to the bathroom. He used the sink to rinse off his face and he took a long look at himself in the mirror.

Walking out Kyle looked over and smelled the food in the back and accidentally bumped into one of the men playing pool.

"Hey! Watch where you're goin' mother fu..." the man started to say before Kyle turned around with a pissed look on his face with green energy escaping his eyes.

Sector 1417, Korugar

"The Sinestros have retreated, probably to the anti-matter universe." said Soranik hovering over the large crater in the canyons where the yellow Central Battery once sat.

"Not only is their Central Battery gone, Lantern Natu, there is no trace of the Parallax entity either." said Torquemada with Garmin Vid close behind.

"The people of Korugar could use a few hands getting back on their feet, Natu said looking back to her team of Lanterns, "I could use all the help I can get...." she continued.

"Lantern Ookla, fly back to Oa and report to Salaak what we've found. I'll report to him as soon as my ring begins functioning properly again. The rest of us will round up the injured Sinestros left behind and begin the clean-up process. I will also be attending to several wounded Korugans." Natu told the oddly familiar Lantern [can you guess where that's from?].

Isamot, Vath, Garmin Vid, Torquemada, and a few others stayed behind with Soranik and Princess Iolande.

Sector 2814, Earth

Kyle continued walking with his duffle bag. He came up on a sign that said "Welcome to Gotham" and continued walking towards the city as the sun began to go down.

Hours later....

It was dark in Gotham. Oddly enough Batman and Robin were nowhere to be seen. Kyle came to a house and knocked on the door. An older woman answered.

"Hello, Molly. Is Alan at home by chance?" Kyle asked.

"Kyle? You look like you've seen better days...." she said as Alan walked to the door.

"Kyle! I felt the Starheart energy and expected it to be Jenny at the door. Come in...."

Minutes later....

"I don't blame you for what you've done Kyle. Sinestro was a monster, and I can't say that I wouldn't do the same under those kinds of circumstances. What are you going to do now?" Alan asked concerned with the road Kyle was on.

"I'm not too sure. I'll have to see where I stand with Hal and the guys before I know for certain. For now I'm just laying low and staying on the road. There's a chance the Sinestro Corps will come looking for me, so I'm trying to stay in less populated areas when I can. It's been awhile since I got to spend more than a few hours on Earth, so I'm trying to make the best of it." Kyle replied sipping on a cup of coffee.

The telephone rang and Molly brought it to Alan. He got an annoyed look on his face.

"I understand, I'll send him out." Alan replied to whomever.

"The Justice League wants you outside. They want to speak with you but I don't think...." Alan begins saying.

"It's okay, Alan. I can handle it. Molly, you make a good cup of joe as always. Take care of the big guy." Kyle said walking out the door.

"Kyle, I...." Alan began as the door closed behind Kyle as his dark costume burned onto his body as his eyes flickered green energy.

Batman [Dick Grayson], Donna Troy, Congorilla, the Starman from space, and Jesse Quick were waiting in the street with a JLA sky cruiser above them.

"Jordan said you might have killed Sinestro." Batman said bluntly to the Dark Lantern.

"I might have." Kyle responded as he started to hover in place.

"We don't want to bring you in, Kyle. As far as I'm concerned, what happens in space stays in space. We just want to make sure you're doing okay..." Donna said hovering above her teammates with Starman.

"I don't know if you heard about what happened to Roy, but I won't let somebody with your kind of power go down that road without a fight." Batman said boldly as his team prepaired for Kyle to make a move.

"I don't want a fight. I just want to be left alone." Kyle said as energy errupted from his eyes.

"Not in MY city." Batman responded.

Suddenly Jesse Quick got a surprised look on her face.

"Now excuse me, son...." Alan said, now standing out in front of his home with Jade by his side.

Sector 0, Oa

"So their Central Battery was gone?" Salaak asked.

"That is correct, Lantern Salaak." Ookla growled.

"I wonder what's been done with the yellow entity...." Salaak pondered.

The Anti-Matter Universe, Qward

Screams are heard around the Central Battery of the Sinestro Corps. Hundreds of Sinestros watch in awe of their new leader who has ordered several Sinestros to bring him more Qwardians to devour. The entity of fear has taken a host. Arkillo walks on all fours with a long tail, yellow Parallax armor, and an even larger jaw of teeth than he had before. He crawls up to another half eaten Qwardian.

"These Qwardian weaponers will only feed my stomach, I must feed on fear! I must feed.... on a Guardian!" the monstrous creature screamed.

To be continued!

~KL~
                        Ωmega Man
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Ωmega Man; 04-14-2011, 05:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the final scene involving the GLC

Comment

No crits on the newest chapter? Really?

Let me know what you think people!

~KL~

Comment

lol NICE!!! i would love to see what "Arkallax" looks like, would hate to see Kyle and the JLA fight (even if they did it wouldn't be a long fight lol), and i didn't think Starheart energy could f@ck with Power rings

IonFan says

Comment

Good stuff Kid!

Comment

Working...
                              X