The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 11-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #1
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Default You have to know when to get off the stage

In an era when many people are working far longer than they should, I think this topic needs a thread.

Here is my first nominee. When she ran for the Senate at age 85 in 2018 she said, "My mind is fine." Well, maybe it was fine in 2018. But "my mind is fine" is no reason to cling to a political office past age 90. And something definitely seems to be amiss about her in 2020.

For Dianne Feinstein to close her career this way is a humiliation for her, but it's more than that. It's robbing Californians and Democrats of a Senate seat that could be held by someone who is competent and effective. Voters don't want to turn someone like her out of office because of all the pork and all the influence of seniority they'd lose, but this is what re-electing someone until they die can come to.

Get off the stage please. Eighty is too long to wait to do that, let alone ninety. Don't make someone like Chuck Schumer get out the hook and drag you off.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...diciary-439836

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-24-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

Without getting into the issue itself, I knew exactly who posted this as soon as I read the title.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Look at her face in that photo. Her left eye is drooping. She's probably colored her hair with black shoe polish, but that's not fooling anyone. She's out of it. Then she goes over and hugs, of all people, Lindsey Graham, the bete noire of the Democrats!

And she's got four more years left in her term.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-24-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:27 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

To get term limits or age limits, though, you'd need majority approval in both houses which means the very people it would limit would have to voluntarily do so. It would also mean that even the young reps, who might favor it, would have to risk the ire of the more powerful figures in the parties.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #5
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I don't think the constitution will ever be amended again, because the states are too divided for two-thirds of them to agree about an amendment. So there might not be a solution to this problem, because voters have a strong motivation to re-elect people who have seniority -- which tends to mean elderly people.

All politics aside, I'm concerned about Biden's being 78 years old. Like Feinstein was in 2018, he might be OK now, but two years from now he might not be.

Probably the worst thing about dementia is that the person it afflicts might be aware of it, but he tends to minimize what it's doing to him. He's usually the last one to recognize the seriousness of it. This makes it especially dangerous in a powerful person. The people around him bear the heavy burden of recognizing it and getting that person's hands away from the levers of power.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-25-2020 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #6
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

People refuse to get off the stage for the same reason they got on the stage in the first place. They crave to hear people cheering for them, and their groupies will gladly do that.

Despite being rich beyond imagining, Paul McCartney continues to tour as he approaches 80. His fans are so thrilled to see him that they pretend not to notice that his once supremely powerful voice is in tatters, and they give him the all cheering he needs.

Look at how this reporter is hyping this event. Fighters this old shouldn't even get a medical clearance to spar.

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/new...ike-qualities/
Old 12-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Jerry West is 82 years old. He should have quit long ago, while he was still ahead.

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/jer...l-01esvx09tegg